Prologue

Day By Day

It was getting late, and I was sitting by my favorite corner near the window. The sky was dark...

And then as I was busy playing with my puzzles, I heard my appa from across the room, he finally arrived from work. I rushed to greet him but instead I stayed at the doorway of my parents' bedroom .

"Where are you going?" my appa asked as my mother busily packed her suitcase. She didn't even look at him.

"Away. From everything, from you!" she yelled, tossing more dresses inside the bag. I stood still as I watched them silently.

"Where?"

"Anywhere, as long as it's far from you!"

"Mina, are you seriously doing this again? I thought we were okay already." Appa replied, he looked tired.

My mom stood up, quickly glancing at me, her cold eyes drifted to my dad, " Really? When was everthing okay? It was never okay, Lay."

Appa wanted to speak but omma cut him off, "I'm sick and tired of living in a place where nothing is happening to my life. I never wanted this."

She quickly walked out the room, ignoring me. Omma ran down the stairs carrying her heavy suitcase.

I followed her down, up to the living room. I also felt my dad walking behind me, but farther.

"Omma!" I yelled, grasping her hand. She continued her pace, heading to the doorway.

"Don't go, Omma! What about appa?!" I shouted, this time she shook her hand away, I felt her push me and my small body fell on the floor.

I stared at her, I was surprised.

She was just looking down at me.

"Sophie!" Appa yelled, before helping me up from the floor, he was now glaring at my mom, I don't think I've ever seen him this angry.

"How dare you push your own daughter away?! You know what? You're right..." Appa said, my mom looked away, ashamed.

Appa clenched his fists, " I want you gone. But this time if you leave, do not come back. This is no longer  your home. You'll have zero custody on Sophie."

My mom gave me a glance, I was already sniffling because of the tears.

"We do not need you, Mina." Appa said, before carrying me in his arms. His hand comforting my back.

As we walked away, I saw my mother turn back and pace towards the door.

Moments later, my appa tucked me in bed. He wiped a tear away from my face. He looked really sad, and sorry.

"Sophie, my princess,  forget about today. Okay?" He said. I nodded.

But in reality...

I would never learn to forget it.