Dilema

Day By Day

Sophie anticipated for her songsaengnim. It was early in the morning, the start of her school day. Her noisy classmates played around, and some would ask her about the storybook she's reading. When they asked about it, she just would reply "It's from my appa."

Ms. Yumi entered the classroom, with a bright smile on her face.

"Good morning,class." she greeted, placing her belongings on the desk.

The rest of the class greeted in return.

"So, do you know what's coming this week?" Yumi asked. The class murmured their ideas.

"No school day?!" a small boy yelled.

"No, Jae-Sun, there is no free day this week." Yumi corrected.

"What's gonna happen, songsaengnim?" Sophie asked, she sat straight, attentive as usual.

Yumi smiled at her and started explaing, "Well, this week we have a mini art festival. Its this friday. As you know, something new happens every year... The art festival is a great way to let you guys express your creativity but this time, we're inviting your parents! It's almost like a family day as well."

The kids happily discussed to each other, and Sophie stayed quiet. She was worried, her dad was always busy.

Yumi observed the students, and when her attention diverted to Sophie, she noticed that the kid seemed sad.

***

Dismissal time came early today, and Yumi waited until the class was almost empty. Before Sophie walked out along with the others, Yumi called for her.

"Sophie! Do you have a minute?"

The child turned, with a curious expression on her face.

"Yes, songsaengnim?"

Yumi gestured for her to come near her desk. Sophie obliged, when she was close Yumi began to talk, "Are you alright, Sophie?" She held Sophie's arms gently.

Sophie only nodded.

"Hm, no you're not. Is it about the art festival?" Yumi asked.

Sophie nodded again.

Yumi chuckled, "You can tell me about it, Sophie..."

Sophie sighed, "Appa's really busy...."

Yumi frowned, "Oh. I see, are you worried that he might not participate with you?"

"Eh, I already know that he's not coming..." Sophie whined. Yumi looked to the side,thinking, " Do you want me to call him?"

"NO." Sophie declined, "I don't want to worry appa."

Yumi fixed Sophie's hair, "Can you try talking to him first? Let him know atleast. Okay? If it's really not possible, I'm here anyway."

"Okay, songsaengnim... " Sophie muttered, Yumi smiled then searching her pocket for something, she eventually plucked out a lollipop.

"Cheer up..."

***

Yi Lin was waiting for Sophie outside the school gate, the weather was getting gloomy again.

She rested her back on the car, "I am on time, right?....." Yi Lin whispered to herself. Yi Lin sighed of relief when she finally saw Sophie skipping towards her.

"Immo!"

Yi Lin walked towards Sophie to help her with her school bag. "How was your day?" she asked, when Sophie held her hand.

Sophie shrugged, "It was okay... hm... But I have to talk to appa later." Yi Lin got a bit worried, "Why? Did you get into trouble?"

"No, immo!" Sophie yelled, Yi Lin laughed, "Sorry, you know how immo is..."

They got into the car and Sophie stayed silent throughout the trip.

"Can you tell immo what your appa needs to know?" Yi Lin asked, kindly smiling at Sophie. The kid sighed, for a 6 year old it seemed quite heavy, "We have an art festival this Friday..."

"And that's a problem because...."

"We need to bring our parents..." Sophie mumbled, crossing her arms. Yi Lin finally saw the problem, she was also sad about it.

"Sophie, are you worried about appa?"

Sophie stared at her aunt, "Nope, appa is just always busy..." Yi Lin nodded, trying to understand her niece. Sophie rested on her immo's lap, so Yi Lin ran her fingers through her hair, "Don't worry, Sophie. Immo will think of something."

***

Yixing's secretary knocked on his office door, and he gestured for him to enter.

"Sir, your sister is here..." his secretary, Minjun said. Lay seemed shocked, why would his sister be here at this time of the day. It was nearing 8:30 P.M.

"Let her in, then." Lay replied, after a while Yi Lin came into his office.

"OPPA." Yi Lin began. Yixing scratched his forehead, "If you're looking for Kai, he's not here."

Yi Lin crossed her arms, "No. I am not here for Kai, I know where he is." Lay gave her a curious look, "So why are you..."

"What? I can't visit here for my oppa?" Yi Lin said, then Lay laughed at her, "You couldn't wait to talk until I get home?"

"It's about Sophie."

Yixing was now serious, he sat straight, and took off his glasses, "What about Sophie?"

"She's worried, oppa." Yi Lin answered, sitting down on the chair across his desk. She continued, "She told me that there's this art fest in her school on Friday. And here's the thing, they need to bring their parents."

"And my daughter's worried that I won't join her?" Lay asked, he seemed sad.

"Uh- huh. I was worried, so I came here to see you. Sophie's a smart kid, she's pretty much aware of your hectic schedule..." Yi Lin replied. Lay was silent for a while...

"Oppa... "

"No, I know. I see what I have to do."

"See? I knew you were smart." Yi Lin was now smiling, Lay lightly laughed, "Thanks for the concern, Yi Lin... I mean it."

"Ah, don't get cheesy on me. It's no big deal." Yi Lin replied. She stayed quiet, her eyes looking around his office and Lay was anticipating for question.

"So, where's Jongin, again?"

"I thought you knew." Lay mused.

Yi Lin laughed, standing up, "Just making sure." Lay closed his laptop, "At his office."

"Thanks oppa!" Yi Lin chirped, heading out.

"Sure, ms.paranoid." Lay replied, slumping on his chair.

Yi Lin rolled her eyes, "Whatever! Call us when we're leaving okay?"

She left his office, and Lay was left alone. The feeling of his daughter doubting him left a sting on his chest, but he would prove her wrong. 

---End Of Chapter---