Her Reason

Day By Day

Yi Lin stood before Jongin's studio apartment door. She already knocked three times. No answer. 
She sighed, then clenched her fist. She knocked again, then finally called for him. 
"Kai!"  Yi Lin rested her body on the door. 
"Open the door alre--"
She stumbled as the door opened, but  he caught her arm. Yi Lin stood straight immediately, and then saw him all wrapped up in a blanket with his hair tousled messily.
"Gee thanks." Yi Lin muttered. She placed a hand on her hip, "So, I heard you called in sick today. Huh, how I wish I was the office secretary so that you'd actually contact me as well." She took her phone from her pocket, 
He remained silent as he eyed her serious face and then he said, "So you still care about me?"
"Of course I do."
Yi Lin looked hurt as they kept eye contact.
"Close the door, the cold air is getting in. I might get worst." Kai said, as he turned away from her.
Yi Lin closed the door with her foot and proceeded to his dining area which was across the living room. Through his apartment window, the heavy rain cascades and frequent sound of thunder would crack.  His apartment was still its messy yet cozy self. The kitchen, dining area, and living room were connected. While his bedroom was on the far left. The interiors were neutral shades with hints of dark blue. 
Kai lazily sat on the couch, and watched her place two paperbags on the dining table. 
Yi Lin faced him, trying to ignore the tension. "I bought food... There's some black bean noodles and chicken... And some medicine, just in case."
Nothing, he didn't say anything. She frowned,  "Are you really not going to say anything?" 
Kai gave her a tense stare, which made Yi Lin quite uneasy. "Are you that insensitive, Yi Lin?"
She gave an exasperated sigh as she turned back to the food, "If I was insensitive, I wouldn't have bothered to come here."
Kai ran his hand through his hair, he was getting tired from all this. "I just don't understand you."
"What do you want to understand?" Yi Lin asked, arms crossed as she met his gaze. 
"Why did you reject me?" His face hinted sadness and annoyance at the same time.
She dropped her arms to her sides, her hands forming into a fist. Yi Lin wasn't so sure about what to say. She walked closer to him, and said, "If I tell you... Promise me that you won't laugh."
He rolled his eyes, "Why on earth would I laugh? Don't tell me its commitment issues."
Yi Lin scoffed, "Not even close." She sat next to him, "I wasn't afraid to say yes, and I didn't want to hurt you.." she looked up, and then looked at him straight, Kai looked confused,  but she continued, "I made this weird deal with myself that I should probably wait out the whole marriage thing until my brother gets married again... I know, it's stupid." Yi Lin buried her face in her palms. 
"That's it?" Kai asked. 
Yi Lin peeked through her fingers, "Ye..ah."
His first reaction was to get annoyed, but her embarrassment made him laugh. 
"I TOLD YOU NOT TO LAUGH."  
Jongin coughed as he finished laughing, "Because! You could've just explained things to me sooner. We just wasted three weeks."
Yi Lin raised an eyebrow, "I tried calling and texting but you never answered!"
Jongin unwrapped himself from his blanket, "I honestly didn't know what to do after that day... I just wanted to be alone and sort out my thoughts." He glanced at Yi Lin who was looking down at her palms, Kai took one her hands, "Come here." He pulled her closer to him and wrapped his arms around her. Yi Lin suddenly felt his warmth and hugged him back, finally feeling the comfort they missed for three weeks.
He pulled away, and looked down at her face. Yi Lin was slightly teary-eyed as she stared at him.
"What's wrong?" Jongin asked, brushing a hair strand from her face. 
She chuckled lightly, " I thought you'd break up with me if you found out the reason..."
"I'm not shallow enough to use that against you." He said, then kissed her forehead. After that, Yi Lin touched his neck, "You're still feverish." 
He nodded, "That medicine doesn't sound like a bad idea."
" I'll go get them." Yi Lin said, rushing off the couch and back to the dining table. She came back to him with a glass of water and a medicine tablet. "Every 4 hours." She mumbled. 
"Okay, I'll set an alarm then." Jongin said, before drinking. Yi Lin shook her head, standing in front of him, "Don't worry about it. I'll keep track." 
"Huh? So you'll stay for the night?" He asked.
"Hm, yeah... Unless you want me to go home. Actually I haven't even asked permission from oppa if I'm allowed to stay overnight." Yi Lin said, as she smiled teasingly.
Jongin stood up, and put his hand on her waist. She wrapped her arms around his neck. He smiled at her, and it was Yi Lin's favorite smile.
"I think Lay hyung won't mind." He whispered. Yi Lin laughed, "I have an excuse. Plus, the rain is too much." 
"Exactly." Jongin said, resting his forehead on hers. Yi Lin frowned, "You really need to rest though." 
He spoke, "But you said you bought chicken." Yi Lin playfully rolled her eyes, "Of course you'd still eat the chicken." She let him go, "I'll get you a plate."
Yi Lin prepared a plate and some utensils, and then they ate the food. She was glad that he ate even if it wasn't his usual apetite.  After cleaning up, Jongin headed back to bed. 
***
Yi Lin entered his room with a small bowl of warm water and a hand towel. She sat beside Kai, who was already lying in bed. Yi Lin wiped the towel on his forehead. He was watching her, and Yi Lin smiled at him.
"You look sleepy." Yi Lin commented. He nodded as he yawned. She finished wiping his face with the towel, "Get some sleep..."
"How about you?" Kai asked, "Do you want to borrow a shirt?"
Yi Lin grinned, she liked the comfy shirts, "Please?"
He laughed, and pointed at the fresh pile of laundry on top of one of his drawers, "Over there." 
She skipped away and picked out a blue shirt, and then headed to the bathroom. After a while Yi Lin came back, and lied on the bed next to him. They faced each other and he let him drape his arm on her waist while her head rested on his chest. She looked up at him, and he was already asleep. Yi Lin smiled and kissed his chin before she closed her eyes and gladly fall asleep. 
***
"
The next morning showed traces of the rain's aftermath with the cool air and wet streets. 
Yi Li parked her car in their garage and excitedly rushed into the house.
The house was quiet and there were no sounds of kitchenware or chatting.
"Hm.." Yi Lin hummed as she headed upstairs to see if anyone was home. She saw Lay's slippers outside his room and Yi Lin opened the door to greet him, wanting to tell him that she and Jongin have made up.
"Oppa! Guess wha--" 
Yi Lin stopped in her tracks, as she saw her brother next to Yumi. They were lying in bed, cuddled up to each other. 
"Ooooohh...okaaaay...." Yi Lin mumbled, sneaking out backwards and slowly closing the door. 
***
Yumi felt  sudden rush of panic as she realized that she was sleeping next to Yixing. They were both awakened by the sound of a alarm clock, and it took them around 2 minutes to realize that they were cuddled up together. 
She hopped off the bed and immediately ran to the bathroom downstairs. 
Yumi shut the door and started blabbering to herself in the mirror. Her face was turning red, but her eyes remained bright.
"AH... Yumi! What have you done?!" 
She tapped her face with her palms, and 
"Oh, what if somebody saw you...."
After a while she gripped the sink, and stared at herself in the mirror.
"You got this, Yumi. Nothing wrong happened. Chill..."
After finishing a monologue to herself she freshened up and walked out of the bathroom.
She was awfully thirsty so she headed to the kitchen. Yumi almost stumbled when she saw Yi Lin preparing pancake batter on the kitchen counter.
"Good morning,Yumi-ssi!" Yi Lin greeted, she looks oddly happy. "Breakfast?"
Yumi couldn't get her voice out, so she nodded. Yi Lin smiled at her, "Okay, I'll just finish the pancake mix...You look well rested." 
Yumi cleared , "Yeah, I guess you can say that....Do you mind if I get some water?"
"Go ahead, you don'r really need to ask permission." Yi Lin replied.
Yumi grabbed a glass from the counter and paced to the fridge. She finished an entire glass and then filled up for a 2nd round. 
"Good morning, oppa!" Yi Lin greeted. Yumi wanted to hide in the fridge.
Lay smiled, but his attention was at Yumi who was busy scanning the fridge, "Good morning, Yi Lin." 
"I'm preparing pancakes. Let's eat on the counter. Yumi can sit next to you." Yi Lin said, while tossing pancake with her spatula.
Yumi closed the fridge's door and took the bar chair next to Lay. She didn't look at him and it made Lay amused. 
"How's Kai, is he doing any better?" Lay asked, while Yi Lin was cooking.
"Yup. His fever's gone down." She replied. 
Lay picked up two mugs and handed one to Yumi, he spoke"That's good. And are you guys are okay now?" 
"Yes." Yi Lin sang. "Finally, right?" Her brother laughed, "Yeah. So are wedding bells coming around soon?" 
Yi Lin sarcastically laughed, she turned to them. She raised the spatula and pointed it at them, "How about you? When are wedding bells coming?" She smiled mockingly. Yumi coughed out the coffee she was drinking. Yixing glared at Yi Lin. She shrugged, "What? Just saying..." 
Yi Lin wenr back to flipping pancakes. She placed the finished ones in two separate plates. She picked it up, waiter style.
"Ta-dah... One for you.. and one for you..."
"Thanks." Lay and Yumi replied in unison. 
Yi Lin rested her elbows on the kitchen bar, her head suported by her palms. 
Lay stared at her curiously, Yi Lin looked at the two of them, back-and-forth. 
"You guys are official, right?" Yi Lin asked, grinning at them. 
Yumi shook her head while Lay answered, "Not ye--, No...I mean no." Yumi drank the coffee to hide the growing blush in her cheeks. He almost said "not yet". 
Yi Lin straigtened her stance, and laughed,  
"Uh huh. Sure. Whatever you say."
***
Yumi and Lay rode in the car, both silent. She was staring out the window, but she could feel the weight of Lay's stare. But she was busy about how she ended up in his arms last night. 
"Are you okay?"  Lay asked,reaching for her hand. She let her hand intertwine with his, "Yes." She returned his gaze. 
***
"So, I'll see you when I see you?" Yumi said, before entering her house. Lay smiled , "Probably soon."
Yumi nodded giddily, "Okay..."
"I'll call you." Lay replied, he kissed the back of her hand, "Goodbye, take care of yourself."
"You too...Goodbye, Yixing."
Yumi waited until he returned back to his car. 
She entered her house only to find a stern Chanyeol standing in front of her.
"How was your night, Yumi-ah?" Yeol asked, raising a brow. 
Yumi gulped, "Er, stormy?"
"Okay. Did Lay keep you warm?" He asked, face straight.
Yumi rolled her eyes and yelled, "Oppa! Please. "
Chanyeol laughed, turning away, "We've prepared lunch already. Join us if you're done blushing."