Don't worry

Day By Day

An annoying ringtone suddenly blared near Yumi's ear. She groaned as she saw the clock tick. It was 1:30 A.M.
She lazily roamed her hand on the side table to look for her phone. She finally picked it up.
"Hello..." she mumbled, half-awake.
"Hey, I'm right outside..."
The familiar voice sank in Yumi's mind. 
"Lay?" 
"Yes?"
Yumi jolted awake, and checked her windows. Yixing's car was parked outside their house and he was resting his back on the door.
"Um.. uh, wait I'll be right down." Yumi said.
She took a quick glance at her mirror, she was wearing baby blue pajamas. 
It would have to do.
Without making a fuss, and too much noise she descended down the stairs. She found a pair of Baek's slippers by the door's shoecase.
The air was cold as it hit her face when she got out the house. Lay just stood there, not glancing up. But he was rocking his heels back and forth; hands in his pockets. His hair was a mess, and so was his shirt; it was commonly tidy on regular days.
Yumi walked to him slowly, "Yixing?"
He looked up and gave her a sad smile. Yumi noticed that his eyes were a bit bloodshot. 
Had he been crying?
"It's so late. Wha...what are you doing here?" Yumi asked. 
He shrugged, " I don't know. I just didn't want to go home."
Yumi's brow raised,"Why?
"I don't want my daughter to see me like this..." He explained, bowing his head. That's when Yumi noticed that he smelled like alcohol. 
"Are you drunk, Yixing?" She asked, lifting his chin.
He looked sad and sleepy at the same  time. Lay nodded. 
Yumi sighed, "Let's get inside the house, it's chilly out here."
"Good idea. I'll warm you up." He teased. Yumi hit his chest, "Very funny."
He walked wobbly, so Yumi had to assist him. She reminded herself to scold him tomorrow for driving in such a condition.
They got inside the house, and Yumi led him to the couch. He sat down clumsily. She almost got dragged down to him. 
"I'll got get some water... and a towel. You have to freshen up at least..." Yumi said. 
She left him for a while, and headed to the kitchen. She found clean towel by a shelf and got some ice cubes in the freezer. Yumi also grabbed a glass of water.
She got back to the living room, Lay was staring at a distance. Yumi sat down beside him. He drank the water she gave him. 
"There's a problem...isn't it?" Yumi began.
"Isn't there always?" Lay replied. 
Yumi bit her lip before she asked, "What happened... umm...is it.. you ex-wife?"
Lay sighed, "She stormed in my office today."
The thought of Mina seeing Lay face-to-face made Yumi feel a bit jealous. She cringed, "And what did she do?"
"She wants to file a lawsuit... Child custody." Lay said, he ran his hand through his hair. 
Yumi inhaled a sharp breath, she wanted to bury the woman in the ground.
"Why is she doing all this? Why'd you separate in the first place?" Yumi asked. She felt guilty of asking him such a personal question.
Lay sighed, "She thinks I ruined her life...It was an arranged marriage, you know. My dad was a colleague of her father... For the good of the business. Stuff like that."
Yumi shook her head, "And that ruined her life?"
"Not really. But it stopped her from pursuing her modeling career. Imagine hating every single day of your life... That was Mina." Lay replied. "But I didn't want her to feel that sort of burden...When she gor pregnant with Sophie, I thought things would change. I assumed that she would finally accept the family life. But I was wrong, she hated it more." he added.
"And that was it? She left because of that?" Yumi wondered.
Lay nodded, "There were more crucial factors for the divorce, but it was the basis."
"I see... Did you...love her, though?" Yumi asked, glancing at him.
Lay paused for a minute, "I did. I tried to make a lot of things work, Yumi. But even that wasn't appreciated."
Yumi nodded and understood, 
"So why did you drink so much tonight?" Yumi muttered.
Lay laughed then moved closer to her, "I'm scared, Yumi."
"Of what?" Yumi asked.
Lay frowned,"What if I lose my daughter? What will become of me? I'll be all alone."
"You will not lose Sophie. You know that! Even I know that." Yumi replied, she collected the courage to cup his face,
"You are not alone. You have everyone by your side...You have me." Yumi assured.
"Thank you."
Lay kissed one of her palms then rested his head on her shoulder, "Mina won't win." He muttered under his breath.
Yumi nodded, she leaned forward to grab the towel with ice. 
Lay automatically rested his head on her lap. Yumi felt her heart race, she had to stop her hands from shaking. But she had to make him comfortable... Yumi lifted his head and placed a pillow under it. She rubbed the cold towel on his head. Sometimes she would lightly run her own fingers through his hair, to relax him.
Yumi started humming, the tune was  unfamiliar to him, but it sounded nice.
Yixing's face calmed as he fell asleep. 
***
"Ehem." Baekhyun coughed. 
Chanyeol crossed his arms, as he grinned, "Do you think we should wake them?"
Lay and Yumi were still on the couch, deeply sleeping. His head was on her lap, while Yumi slept upright. 
Baekhyun laughed quietly then he whispered, "We probably shouldn't, let's not destroy the moment."
"Do you think something happened between those two? Becau--"
Baek slapped Yeol's arm, "Paranoid much?" 
Yeol massaged his arm, "Just asking..."
"Let's just go already. Prepare us some breakfast, instead of letting your thoughts wander..." Baekhyun said, dragging Chanyeol with him.
Chanyeol and Baek started to tiptoe out of the living room...
"I heard that."
They stopped, and they saw Yumi stare at them. She didn't recall sleeping heavily, her sleeping position wasn't exactly the best for sleeping. She blinked until her eyes would clear its focus. 
The two guys stopped sneaking away, and Chanyeol cleared his throat, he pointed at Lay, "So what exactly happened to him..."
Yumi stretched her arms, and yawned, "He visited me late, around 2 A.M."
"Huh? Why?" Baek asked. Chanyeol dropped his arms to his side.
Yumi frowned, she was Yixing's hair unknowingly, "There was an issue; he was talking about it last night...It's quite personal, so I can't tell you."
Yeol grimaced, "So he ran to you in the middle of the night?"
Yumi nodded, looking down at Lay's sleeping face.
"You know...You must be really important to him, I mean, you're the one he ran to." Baek commented, leaning beside Yeol. 
Yumi choked a laugh, although that remark made her feel all giddy inside.
"Um, do you mind helping me with lifting him up?" Yumi asked. She didn't want to leave him. 
"Ooh, I'll do it." Baekhyun offered, gliding his way him. Chanyeol assisted them too. They gently lifted his upper body, then Yumi slid away from the couch. Lay grunted but his sleep wasn't disturbed. He shifted his position and was now facing down on the couch. 
Yumi stretched again, "Ah. I can finally feel my legs. Oppa, do you want me to help with breakfast?"
Chanyeol smiled and shook his head, "Nah, I can handle it. Just frehsen up."
Yumi nodded and headed to her room upstairs.
***
The sound of a pot clanging woke Lay up from his sleep. The scent of the room smelled like pancakes and coffee...with a hint of ramyeon.
He twisted his body so he could stare at the ceiling.
It was cream colored.
As far as he was concerned his bedroom had a light gray ceiling.
He quickly gazed at his surroundings. Two single sofas were near him, and a t.v. was across the couch which he slept in. He was covered with a blue blanket,and  lying down face first. 
This was definitely not his home.
Oh yeah. 
He didn't want to come home last night.
Lay sat up alertly as he heard someone come down the stairs.
Yumi walked to the living room and halted as she saw him. She turned away.
Lay got curious about her reaction.
"You might want to close some buttons on your shirt." Yumi said, still not looking.
Yixing immediately closed his shirt to cover his chest, he must have loosened some buttons as he slept, "Sorry... You can look now."
Yumi turned to him and laughed,"Yeah... Anyway, how are you feeling? Any headache?"
"Slight...but I should be fine after a cup of coffee." He scratched his head.
"Good timing then. Chanyeol oppa's preparing breakfast in the kitchen. C'mon." She pulled him up from the couch. He got up and they began to pace to the home's hallway
"I'll use the bathroom first...If you don't mind." Lay said.
"Alright. I got a shirt you can borrow by the way. I left it in the bathroom shelf." Yumi said, she opened the bathroom's door for him, "Join us in the dining room if you're done." 
***
"Do you have work today, oppa?" Yumi asked, then biting a piece of pancake.
Chanyeol nodded, "I have a regualr shift at the restaurant today."
"Okay, that's good. I guess I can clean up the house. Baek, help me out okay?" Yumi said, she looked at Baekhyun. "Sure, Yumi-ssi."
"Lay's here!" Chanyeol announced as Lay walked in the dining room.
Yumi has never seen him look so casual, a plain shirt looked good on him. It made her blush a bit.
"Have a seat! We have pancakes! And Yumi made this coffee for you." Baek presented, gesturing at each item as Lay sat down beside Yumi. He glanced at her, as she handed him the platter of pancakes. He took it and placed two pieces on his plate. 
"So..." Baek started, "Tough night?" He asked.
Lay chuckled nervously, "Umm, I guess you can say that."
Chanyeol hit Baek's stomach with his shoulder, "Don't mind him. Coffee just hits him really fast."
"I don't. In fact, I want to apologize... For overstaying..." Lay said, he seemed embarrassed. 
Chanyeol waved him off, "Nah. It's fine. You're no longer a stranger to us anyway. And besides, you've been dating for like..what? Almost 2 months?"
Yumi choked on a pancake piece, Baek laughed loudly, while Lay smiled genuinely.
Yixing nodded, "Yeah, I believe so. Thank you for that." Chanyeol patted his shoulder. 
Yumi smiled at their interaction. 
"Hm.. Chanyeol, are you done eating?" Baek asked, emptying his plate.
"Yeah, why?" Yeol asked. 
Baekhyun stood up, "Let's give the lovebirds some privacy." Yumi hit her face with her palm. Yeol chuckled, "Okay, okay." They cleared their plates and left.
"Ugh, can they please be less annoying." Yumi muttered, sighing frustratingly. Lay laughed, and grinned, "Do you mind it that much?" 
"If it's in front of you, then, yes." Yumi said. Stuffing with a pancake piece, she glanced at Lay, "Why aren't you eating?" 
Lay looked down on his plate, "Oh right..." he shifted his gaze to the coffee mug, which was decorated with smiley faces, "You made this?" Yumi nodded, "Uh, I don't exactly know your coffee preference..." 
Lay sipped from the cup, "This is great." 
"Really?" Yumi narrowed her eyes at him. Yixing smiled, "Yes, this will cure my hangover perfectly." 
"Heh. Sure it will." Yumi said, she smirked, "Will you go home, after breakfast?" 
"Are you making me leave?" Lay said, leaning closer to her. 
"I was just curious." Yumi replied, she pushed him playfully. Yixing shrugged, "I have to leave early, Sophie's looking for me already." 
Yumi nodded, "Right..." 
They talked until 9 A.M., not realizing that they were seating close together, Lay's arm was resting on the back of Yumi's chair. They weren't bringing up anything about last night. Yumi noticed how sad his eyes were, despite his handsome smiles. 
Lay noticed a strand of hair fall on Yumi's face so he proceeded to tuck it behind his ear. He did just that, but also ended up caressing her cheek. Yumi felt a blush     reach her cheeks. 
"It's getting warmer. Is it the heater, Yumi-ssi?" Baekhyun said, as he walked by to head to their fridge. 
Lay laughed, getting the joke. He sat straighter, while Yumi found a dish towel to throw at him. 
***
Yumi walked along with Lay as they walked out of her home. He held her hand until they reached his car. 
"Yixing..."
Lay turned to her, "Yeah?" 
Yumi rocked on her heels, " Are you okay?" 
Lay sighed, "Define 'okay'". He rested his back on his car. Yumi didn't give him a response; she couldn't think of one. His situation was something that hurt him, and it that he had to go through it. 
She really wanted to bury Mina... 10ft. in the ground. 
But there was something else, something that she felt like doing; Yumi wrapped her arms around Yixing's torso, her head rested on his chest. It wasn't long until he wrapped his arms around her too. 
The feeling of comfort, and something warm filled the both of them. 
"You'll be fine... I'm just here, please know that." Yumi said, as she lifted her head to see his face. He looked down at her, his eyes seemed sad, but there was hope in it. 
"Thank you, Yumi." Lay replied, holding her tightly. 
They held on to each other, until their presence for each became the feeling of home. 

 

--- END OF CHAPTER---