She's Back

Day By Day

Lay's main office was freshly clean today. Two medium-sized paintings were added to the plain white walls, and the navy blue carpeting was recently vacuumed. His dark, leather office chairs were placed well, and his desk was decluttered from last week's workload. 
He placed his workbag on a corner table, then he smoothed out his blazer. 
The atmosphere of the office was quiet as usual, disregarding the typing sounds from keyboards and the occassional chatting of the employees. So far, it was fine. 
Lay opened his desk PC to begin reviewing the project drafts given to him.
Sighing due to the amount of documents, he began his day. 
***
"Miss, we haven't received the confirmation yet. Please wai--"
Mina ignored the male secretary as she stormed in the office floor. 
She wore her best maroon colored dress and her black high heels. She made it a point to look high-end. Mina turned to the male secretary, before pushing Lay's office door,  "I don't need a confirmation. Think of me as a V.I.P." she gave a confident shrug then pushed the door open. 
***
Lay didn't know if he wanted to punch his desk or hit his head on the wall as Mina, his former wife, entered his private office's door.
"Aw, Lay. Aren't you happy to see me?" Mina teased, her casual smiley look painted on her face. 
He wanted to scoff, but he wanted to be professional...Lay wanted to be straightforward though.
"What are you doing here? I don't recall setting up an appointment with anybody today." He replied, taking a dull glance at her. 
Mina giggled as sarcarstic laugh, "Since when were you so stingy?"
"I'm serious, Mina. What do you want?" Lay asked. She took a seat on one of the chairs in front of him. Looking poised as ever.
"I just wanted to see you. Is that so bad?" Mina replied, placing an arm on his desk. "Are you busy?" She asked, tilting her head.
Lay wanted to roll his eyes, but he kept his expression straight as he typed.
"Isn't it obvious."
Mina straightened her back and focused her gaze at him, as if she was trying to melt him. 
No effect. 
She sighed unhappily but with exaggerated it. 
"You say you're busy, but then there are rumors of you dating some grade school teacher."
She got Lay's attention. 
"None of your business." He replied, giving her a serious stare, then returning his attention back to the computer.
"Ouch. Am I that insignificant now?" Mina said, but no hint of remorse.
"You lost your significance 3 years ago." Lay muttered.
Mina glared at him and then composed herself, 
"I want my daughter back."
Lay stopped typing.
He breathed before he could spill out his anger.
"Excuse me?"
Mina crossed her arms confidently,"You heard me."
Lay stood up and looked down at her, he clenched his fists,"You must have lost your mind. Have you forgotten that you've lost all custody three years ago?"
Mina stood up as well meeting his height, she bent her torso so she could be closer to him. She placed her hands on his desk for support
"You and what legal paperwork?" Mina said. 
Lay stepped back, he looked at her with disbelief and anger. 
"I have enough legal sources, do not even try." He warned.
"Whoops. Did I hit a nerve, Lay?" Mina said, she stood back on her spot. Her face turned serious, "Too late though, I've already sent my paperworks to a legal office. In fact, give it a few days. Oh and I hired a great lawyer too."
Lay felt his feet gone cold. 
Mina grabbed her purse from the chair,then she faced him again.
"I'll see you in court, Honey." She whimsically turned and headed to the door.
Before Mina left, she winked at him, "Oh and don't forget: I always get what I want."
***
Baekhyun was walking along the street, he was busy texting on his phone. It was his personal day-off and he was getting bored with staying at home. 
"Ouch." 
He accidentally bumped into someone, he immediately turned to apologize.
"So--" he stopped, "Yi Lin-ssi?" 
Yi Lin rubbed her shoulder, "Yes, Baek. Didn't you know it's dangerous to walk on the streets while texting?" She looked serious for a moment, then she laughed. Her aura was far from the one in the café.
Baek laughed, "Yeah. Sorry about that."
"You don't have work today?" Yi Lin asked. 
He kept his hands in his pockets, it was getting cold,"Yeah."
"Ah, I see. And you were heading to?" 
"Nothing specific really, I just wanted to get out of the house." Baek replied, "How about you?"
Yi Lin clutched her bag, "Heading to the mall. Hana and I are going to look for some fabric...and probably shop."
"Oh, can I come? I mean, if it's not too weird..." 
Yi Lin laughed, "Sure. We can use an extra hand at picking up the fabric."
They headed to the parking lot, and Yi Lin walked to her car. It was a silver auto, which looked smaller compared to Lay's car. But it was more fitting for her anyway. Baek offered to take the backseat, since they were going to pick-up Hana along the way. 
Yi Lin started her car, and rested her hands on the steering wheel, "I haven't drove this for a while. But don't worry, I'm not that bad in driving."
Baekhyun laughed at her,"If that's meant yo assure me, then okay."
***
"Annyeong." Hana greeted as she entered the car, she noticed Baek sitting at the back. "Hi there, Baekhyun."
"He wanted to join us for our shopping trip." Yi Lin said, as she drove again.
Hana smiled, "Okay, I hope you don't mind a lots of walking."
***
"I think the printed one's better." Baek said, as Yi Lin lifted two fabric samples near his face.
"Really? Will it go with the blue one?" Yi Lin asked.
Baek shrugged, "Yep. It'll be boring if they're both plain." 
Yi Lin nodded, "Alright. It looks cool anyway... Where's Hana?"
"I think she's near the chiffon fabric..." Baek said, as he scanned the shop. 
"Ugh. Always missing...C'mon let's just grab yards of these first." Yi Lin mumbled.
Hana eventually found them, "Oh there you are. Did you find the fabric? I found our embelishments."
Baek and Yi Lin were waiting for the saleslady to cut the fabric for them. 
"Should we get something to eat after this? I really want ice cream." Hana said. A hand on her waist.
Yi Lin looked at Baek, then raised a brow,
"Ice cream? But aren't you cold?" 
***
Baekhyun was listening to Hana and Yi Lin as they talked. His head would turn everytime they switched turns to talk. 
Hana pointed her ice cream at Yi Lin, "So, are you and Kai okay yet?"
Yi Lin shook her head, she scooped the ice cream in . 
"Still giving you the cold shoulder?" Hana asked, then she amusely glanced at Baek, she added, "Like this ice cream." 
Baekhyun chuckled, "You should've seen them in the café the other day..."
Hana landed her hand on the table, "Ugh, I know. I wasn't able to see it!"
"Ha-ha." Yi Lin said, rolling her eyes, then crossing her arms.
Baekhyun smirked, "What happened anyway? Do you mind if I ask?" 
"Well, Yi Lin-ssi?" Hana insisted, even though she knew already.
Yi Lin sighed,frowning.
"We didn't exactly fight... I just didn't say yes to his proposal. And then he didn't talk to me for two weeks...oh wait, we're going for three weeks. It's a new record." Yi Lin said. 
Baekhyun distanced the ice cream from his mouth, "You didn't want to marry him?"
"Yet." Yi Lin replied.
"But you want to?" Baekhyun asked.
Yi Lin pinched her nose, "Of course I do..."
"Ah. Then why did you decline? I mean if you really wanted to then you should've said yes." Baek stated, Hana nodded in agreement, "That's what I said, too. Yi Lin said no because she wanted to see Lay to get married first."
Baekhyun looked at Yi Lin, "That was your reason?"
Yi Lin simply returned to eating her ice cream.
Hana laughed, "Brilliant reason, right..."
"So that's why Kai looked so sad..." Baek said.
"Oh really? I didn't notice." Yi Lin muttered, bitterly. 
"He was! You didn't notice because you guys wouldn't look at each other for at least a minute." Baekhyun answered, he frowned at Yi Lin. 
"I didn't know what to do!" Yi Lin snapped. 
"Uh, apologize?" Baek suggested. He was wondering if he was butting in too much.
"Why should I?" Yi Lin said, "You know I tried to contact him two weeks straight and he ignored me completely. I think I've tried enough." 
"He's just hurt; I doubt that Kai's really angry at you." Hana said, she finished her ice cream, then added, "But what would you do if you lose him?"
Yi Lin's brows furrowed,"That won't happen."
"See...Then just talk it out. Find a way. Go visit him at the office or something." Baekhyun said. Yi Lin nodded, but her eyes were staring at nothing. 
"Yi Lin... Are you okay?" Hana asked. Yi Lin shrugged, "I don't know. I'm just not used to not seeing him everyday... Ugh. Why am I saying weird things..." 
Hana chuckled. Baekhyun smirked,
"It's because you miss him. And love makes you say weird things."

---END OF CHAPTER---