Songsaengnim!

Day By Day

Sophie was unable to sit still as she listened to her teacher, Ms. Park Yumi. It was the end of the school day, and her classmates were also excited about going home.

"Alright guys. Let's fix our things, and then we'll get going." Ms.Yumi said, her softspoken voice resonates in the classroom. Sophie has always been fond of her, Yumi was one of the most genuine people, and she was always pleasant to look at. "Ms. Park is always kind to me..." she would say, when her dad asks about school and her teacher.

After the last reminders, every student rushed to the classroom door, Sophie was being shoved to hurry but she didn't mind. Her aunt Yi Lin would be late anyway.

Today's weather was fairly sunny, Sophie noticed the big, fluffy shapes of the clouds as she looked up. She could finally breathe in the fresh air. She found a spot to sit on near the school's open grounds, other kids playing around. Sophie would observe them, then switch to reading the small storybook in her bag.

Time passed and Sophie felt a drop of water fall on her cheek.

"Eh?" she said, glancing up, a drizzle of rain started to fall.

Sophie quickly grabbed her stuff, and headed to the school's corridor, she sat on the stairs. Checking her watch, it was getting quite late. And yes, her immo was indeed late again.

The drizzle turned into strong pour of rain, it was getting cold and Sophie grew anxious. The sun had set and the school was no longer crowded.

Upstairs, Park Yumi, locked up the classroom and prepared an umbrella. She was heading towards the staircase until she saw the figure of a child at the lower steps of the stairs. She recognized the violet headband that can only be owned by Sophie. Her dark hair made the color stand out more.

"Sophie?" Yumi called out, and the kid looked up at her, as if relieved to hear her voice. Sophie was busy eating a sandwich. 

"Songsaengnim!" Sophie happily yelled. Yumi smiled, and rushed down the steps, "Why are you still here? It's getting late..."

"Ahhh, well, Yi Lin Immo is not here yet... " Sophie replied, pouting out frustration.

 

Yumi checked her watch, it was almost 7 P.M. "I'd feel really bad if I leave you here...." Yumi said, sitting beside Sophie. Sophie beamed, "Oh, I know! Why don't you take me home with you? That would be fun right?"

Yumi laughed, a bit surprised "Well, I guess we could do that..."

"REALLY? YAY!" Sophie leaped, and stuffed her leftover sandwich inside her bag.

 

There wasn't much effort into going home; Yumi was holding Sophie's hand leading her inside the house.

A sound of a video game blared as they walked inside the home's hallway, " Eh, I swear, they can never keep the noise down." Yumi complained as she folded the umbrella then she helped Sophie take off her raincoat. "It's warm enough here, I'll contact your parents after I give you some hot chocolate. Sounds okay?" Yumi asked, happily fixing Sophie's hair.

Sophie nodded and grinned, "I love hot chocolate. Appa would give me some too when the weather gets too cold..." Yumi giggled as she took Sophie's bag, then said "Wait here, okay? I'll just get those goofballs off the couch."

Yumi walked into their living room and saw her brother Chanyeol and their room renter, Baekhyun playing a video game. They noticed her and Chanyeol placed the game on pause.

"Oppa, do you mind cleaning up a bit? And gosh, quiet down for a minute..." Yumi remarked picking up an empty pack of chips.

"Ooops, sorry about that." Baek said, taking the trash away from Yumi's hand.

Suddenly, Sophie excitedly followed Yumi to the living area, she tugged Yumi's skirt. Chanyeol and Baek smiled at the cute kid, "Wahh! Who's this, cutie?" Yeol said, standing up to greet Sophie.

"Your kid?" Baek asked glancing at Yumi. She rolled her eyes, and laughed. "No! She's a student of mine..."

Sophie stood prouder, "Annyeong haseyo, Zhang Jiyeon mida! You can call me Sophie for short."

"Nice to meet you, Sophie. I'm Chanyeol, Yumi's brother." Yeol said, "That guy over there is Baekhyun. Don't worry, he's kinda nice."

Baekhyun punched his arm and lowered himself so he can reach Sophie's height, he cutely smiled at her, "Not just kinda. But I am really nice! Ignore that giant. Annyeong, Sophie. What bring you here today?"

Sophie giggled and looked at Yumi, "The oppas are so cute!"

"Waaahhh, she called me "oppa" " Chanyeol said, hugging a pillow.

They all laughed, then Sophie tugged Yumi's skirt again, "Hot choco?" she asked, puppy-eyed.

"Oh yeah! Wait, wait... I'll get on it." Yumi said, but she turned back again, "Yeo Oppa, do you mind contacting her parents for me? The number's on Sophie's school I.D."

Chanyeol did as he was told. While, Yumi prepared four glasses of hot chocolate. And then, Chanyeol handed her his cellphone.

"Hello?" Yumi asked.

A female voice replied, "Yes? Hi! I'm Sophie's aunt. She told me that she's currently with you... Umm, Park Yumi, right?"

"Yes, Im Sophie's teacher." Yumi replied.

Li Yin answered, "I see, well, ohmy, do you mind texting me your address? I'll just pick- up Sophie from your place."

"Of course! I'll text it right away."

"Yes, please do, thank you so much. Goodbye!" Yi Lin said.

"Goodbye." Yumi dropped the call, and immediately texted Yi Lin her address.

"What did immo say?" Sophie inquired, as Yumi returned with the warm drinks, handing the mug carefully to Sophie.

"She'll be here soon." Yumi replied, "Ah, you better finish this quickly then..." she added, adding tiny marshmallows in Sophie's cup.

"Ey, what about me?" Chanyeol said, leveling his mug at Yumi's face.

"Get some yourself." Yumi replied, throwing the bag of marshmallows to Yeol's lap. Yumi returned her attention to Sophie, who was now drinking the hot chocolate, Yumi asked, "So, do you like it?"

Sophie removed the cup from her lips, "Uh-huh, it's really good!"

Yumi chuckled, wiping traces of chocolate along Sophie's mouth.

Yumi allowed Chanyeol and Baek to play with Sophie, as she cleaned up the finished mugs of hot chocolate. She can hear them laughing, and it was kind of great because Sophie rarely laughs in class, or even talk with the other kids, when she asked Sophie about it all she replied was, "Adults make more sense..."

For a six year old, it was kind of odd. Yumi didn't mind though, she understands that some kids are really more mature than others.

Their doorbell rang and Yumi hurriedly wiped her hands on a kitchen towel.

"I'll get it!" Yumi yelled as she paced to the door. She opened the door and was immediately greeted by Yi Lin, she was wearing semi-corporate clothes, and her hair was a dark burgundy color.

"Annyeong, I'm Sophie's aunt, Zhang Yi Lin..." She said smiling apologetically, holding up her hand for Yumi to shake.

Yumi smiled, "Annyeong, I believe you know me already... Sophie's inside, should I call her?"

Yi Lin nodded, "I'm really sorry for the trouble..."

"Nah, it's nothing. Sophie's a good kid." Yumi said, then called out for Sophie.

Sophie rushed to the door and hugged her aunt. "What took you so long?" she asked.

"Immo is very sorry... I was caught up in a meeting at work." Yi Lin replied, smoothing out Sophie's hair.

Sophie shrugged, "Alrighty then!"

Yi Lin stood back up, "We should really get going. Your appa's gonna kill me..."

Yumi helped Sophie wear her shoes, "Did you have fun, Sophie?" she asked.

"Yes! The oppas are funny, they threw marshmallows at each other." Sophie replied, after that she hugged Yumi, "Goodbye, seongsaengnim!"

"Goodbye, Sophie. I guess I'll see you on Monday, huh?" Yumi answered, "Oh wait, let me call the oppas."

"Yeol! Baek!" Yumi yelled, and the two guys rushed to the door.

They greeted Yi Lin with a nod, and she smiled at them in return.

"Ah, she's leaving? Aww, goodbye Sophie!" Baek said, waving goodbye at Sophie. "Yeah, bye bye Sophie!" Chanyeol added.

Sophie happily waved at them, "If I see you again, bring marshmallows! Bye, oppa"

"We will!" Baek said.

Yumi handed Sophie's bag to Yi Lin, "Wow, it looks like she had a lot of fun." she said, grinning.

"Yeah, she was laughing a lot." Yumi replied.

"That's really great, thank you so much, Ms. Yumi." Yi Lin said, she was now holding Sophie's hand, "Are you ready to go, Sophie?"

"Yup! I want to see appa already..."

"Okay, then. We'll get going, Ms. Yumi. Goodbye." Yi Lin said, Yumi waved at them, "Sure. Goodbye, Ms. Yi Lin, take care of yourselves."

***

Yi Lin carried Sophie out of the car, and asked the driver to take the other things inside the house.

"Immo, I'm really sleepy." Sophie mumbled, resting her head on Yi Lin's shoulder.

Yi Lin chuckled, patting her niece's head, "Don't worry, we're home already." A maid opened the door for Yi Lin, "Thank you.." she muttered, as she walked to the house's living room.

"Well it's about time..."

Yi Lin looked up, and saw her brother, Lay staring at them from the top of the staircase.

"Yes, I know what you're going to say, I'm sorry." Yi Lin said, Lay laughed as he walked down the staircase, "You've reached a new level of forgetfulness." Yi Lin rolled her eyes, and smirked, "At least Sophie's home, right?"

"Right. But don't do this again next time." Lay replied, Yi Lin helped Sophie into her father's arms.

"Appa?" Sophie asked, half-sleepy.

"Yes, princess. Appa's here." Lay said, lovingly carrying Sophie in his arms. Yi Lin smiled at them, she's always been proud of how good her brother was at being a dad. Even though he's got the busiest work schedule, he'd make things work for his daughter. "The princess is tired. Let her rest already..." Yi Lin said.

Moments later, Sophie was already lying in their bed. Her immo helped her change into her pajamas, "Goodnight,Sophie. Immo has to go now." Yi Lin said, then she kissed Sophie's forehead.

"Goodnight, immo..." Sophie mumbled, her eyes were already closed. Lay entered the room, " You leaving, Yi Lin?" he asked as Yi Lin got off the bed. "Yeah..." she trailed.

"Ah, let me guess... Date night?" Lay asked, sitting on the bed.

Yi Lin grinned, "You know me so well."

Lay chuckled, "As if that's an odd thing. Fine, go. Take care of yourself." Yi Lin smiled, "Goodbye! I'll see you guys tomorrow."

When Yi Lin left, Lay also prepared himself for bed. Changing into a white shirt, and sweatpants, he lied down beside his daughter. Sophie immediately hugged him. He laughed, "I thought you were asleep..."

"Appa, I had hot chocolate today." Sophie said.

"Oh really? Did your seongsaengnim give it to you?" he asked, removing strands of hair away from her face.

"Yep, it was great." Sophie replied, Lay playfully pouted, "Better than appa's?"

Sophie laughed, "No! Nothing beats appa's hot chocolate." Lay exagerrated a sigh of relief, "Good. I thought I got defeated." Then Sophie yawned, "Appa, I'm really sleepy now." Lay adjusted Sophie's pillow, "I can tell, princess. Get some sleep, appa loves you." Lay kissed his daughter's head, holding her against his chest. Sophie smiled as she closed her eyes again, "And I love appa too." 

---End of Chapter 1---