Almost

Day By Day

The weather was getting colder day by day; autumn was making itself known as the tree leaves began to turn into orange and brown. 
"Is appa coming home early?" Sophie asked as she lay on Yumi's lap, she was sick due to the cold weather. Yumi had to drive her home, instead of letting Sophie wait in the school. 
Yumi Sophie's hair, "He'll be here soon. I already called him." 
"Okay, wake me up if he's here." Sophie said, before she shut her eyes.
***
Lay rushed inside their house, upon reaching their living room he saw Sophie napping on Yumi's lap. Yumi's eyes were closed too. 
He approached them, then sat on the chair beside them. Before he would ask why he questioned Sophie's closeness to her teacher...But as he got to know Yumi, his wondering stopped. 
Lay's phone beeped, and it caused Yumi to awaken. She saw Lay watching them.
"Hey..." Yumi greeted, smiling sleepily.
"Hi...Tough day?" Lay asked, he smiled at her too. Yumi nodded, "Sort-of." Lay placed his palm on Sophie's forehead, checking her temperature. It was indeed warmer than usual. 
"I already gave her some medicine and water." Yumi said, "I'll blame the cold for the fever." 
Yixing gently picked Sophie up from Yumi's lap, "I'll tuck her in bed, she'll probably need a thicker sweater." Yumi helped him; Sophie mumbled something in her sleep. They didn't understand. 
***
Lay rushed down the stairs, and headed back to Yumi. He saw her standing near the door to their garden.
"Do you want to go outside?" He asked as he stood next to her.
Yumi's eyes brightened, "Can we? It's a little cold though..."
Lay shrugged, opening the glass door, "We won't be long. Plus, I'll give you a tour..."  
Yumi smiled, feeling the cold air on her face, "Okay. "
Lay took her hand as they went out to the patio, then down to the rock walkway in between small fields of trimmed grass. Also, there were big and small lights that surrounded it. Almost as if fireflies were present. In the center of it was a  stone-gray fountain with an angel as its centerpiece. 
Yixing frowned, "The garden isn't as pretty since it's fall. But I have a garded shed, there are still some flowers."
"It's fine, I still find it breathtaking." Yumi assured. 
Yixing led her to the fountain, and Yumi touched the cold falling water. 
"Did you landscape all this?" 
Lay shook his head, "Not really. We hired someone, but Yi Lin and I chose most of the outdoor furniture."
They also walked pass the swimming pool, but it was already covered. And then near that, were three woven poolside chairs and tables. 
But the best part was the garden shed.
It was a tiny house-like structure, made of glass and wood,  where the inside was lit by a lantern with an orange light. Also, there was a cozy  loveseat, and a small coffeetable. It was surrounded also by flowers and other plants. 
Yumi walked inside and sat on the chair. The antique-like beauty of the shed was so calming, and honestly very romantic.
Yixing stood by the doorway, watching her. Yumi glanced at him, raising an eyebrow,  "Are you just gonna stand there?"
Lay smiled, he strolled to the chair then sat next to her, "Do you like it?"
Yumi nodded, "Yes."
"You know, I usually come here to think..." Lay said.
"Really? And what do you think about, Yixing?" Yumi asked, curious. The orange light was making him look more handsome. "Hm, just random stuff. Life, work... Occasionally, I would think of you. But you already know that." He grinned when Yumi playfully hit his arm. 
"That's very cheesy of you. But sweet, nevertheless." Yumi replied. 
"We should play some music..." Lay said. 
"Or you can sing." Yumi suggested. 
"I'm not ready yet." Lay teased. Yumi rolled her eyes, "When will you be?"
"I'll sing for you. Just not today." Yixing promised. 
Yumi sighed, "Fine..." 
Lay proceeded to his phone and looked for a song to play. Yumi listened to the melody, it wasn't familiar but it was nice. She heard Lay hum, and she leaned closer to him. He laughed when she did it. As they listened to the song, Yumi rested her head on Lay's shoulder then he wrapped an arm around her.
"Can I ask you something?" Lay said, glancing down at Yumi. 
"Yeah?"
"Did you ever think of not dating me?" Lay asked.
Yumi looked at him curiously, "Huh? What brought this up?"
"I just want to know." He replied. 
Yumi spoke, "I did. I really considered, because... Well, you are a parent of my student. I got scared for some time. Didn't you feel the same?"
"Of course I was. But I'm not really paranoid about it anymore." Lay said, smiling at her.
Yumi chuckled, "Yeah, I can tell." She stopped when his face inched closer to hers,  their eyes remained in contact.
"Are you still scared now?" He whispered. Yumi felt her heart race, but she managed to reply, "No. I'm not."
The music filled the room, and time seemed to stopped as they just remained close with their eyes locked on to each other. Yixing brought his face even nearer, until their noses almost touched. He lifted her chin, almost close to kissing her.
Almost.
The sudden crack of thunder and a spark of lightning startled them. The rain began to pour heavily. Yumi had to clear , so she could refocus. 
"We should head back..." she said. 
Lay straightened, "Yes. But I don't have an umbrella..." 
"Let's just run back?" Yumi asked, standing up. Before Yixing could agree she pulled him up and they both ran into the rain. 
Yumi wrapped her arms around herself as they finally entered the house, they were both soaked by the rain. 
"You should change, I can lend you a shirt." Lay said, immediately heading up the stairs. Yumi stood next to the living room's fireplace, shivering.
A few minutes passed until he quickly walked back to her, wrapping a towel around Yumi. 
"Go change." Lay said, handing Yumi one of his shirts. Yumi nodded, "You too."
She ran to the nearest bathroom, and Lay ran back up to his bedroom. 
Sophie was already awake when he entered. She looked at him, "Appa, did you play in the rain?" 
Yixing laughed,  "No, princess. Wait for me, okay? I'll just change." 
***
Lay and Sophie sat on the living room couch, while watching a kid's movie. Yumi walked back in from their kitchen with glasses of water. His shirt looked more like a dress on her, but it was better than waiting for her blouse to dry.  She sat next to them. 
They heard the main door open and saw Yi Lin enter the house. She stood in the hallway, then noticed them in the living room. Yumi was kind of embarrassed to have Lay's sister see her in his shirt, but Yi Lin didn't seem to notice.
"Hi guys. Rough weather, huh?" Yi Lin said, wiping off water droplets from her jacket. 
"Tell me about it." Lay said. "Have you eaten, Lin?" 
"Yes. I got take-out on the way home." She replied, shrugging off her coat. 
Sophie went to her aunt, then Yi Lin bent down to hug her. Sophie glanced around as if looking for something.
"Where's Kai-oppa? I don't see him around anymore..."
Lay chuckled, while Yi Lin frowned, "Uh, he's busy...I think."
"Sure he is." Lay said. 
Yi Lin stood up, and Sophie returned back to Lay and Yumi. 
"Well, whatever. He's just nowhere to be found at the moment." Yi Lin said before heading upstairs. 
After a while, Yumi raised a brow at Lay, "Where is Kai, anyway?"
"Probably home." Lay answered. 
"Really?" Yumi asked.
Yixing nodded, "Yeah.I think he called in sick today." 
Yi Lin was walking down the stairs, she hasn't changed into her pajamas yet.
"Who's sick? Sophie?" She asked as she walked back to the living room. 
"Sophie's fever has lowered already. Not sure about your boyfriend though." Lay replied. 
Yi Lin narrowed her eyes at him, "What?"
"Yeah, he had a cold during the past two days, and then today he didn't show up at the office." Lay explained. Yi Lin scratched her head frustratingly. Yumi saw the concern was her face. 
"Oppa! Why didn't you tell me earlier?" Yi Lin ranted. She didn't  bother to wait for his response. She immediately ran up to her bedroom.
They heard a door close loudly and then Yi Lin was rushing down with her bag, 
"I'm leaving...Again."
They watched her grab her coat, and slip on some shoes before she left the house. 
Lay slumped back on the couch, "Well that escalated quickly."
Yumi blinked, "You don't say."
***
They didn't get to finish the movie since Sophie fell asleep again. Yixing carried his daughter back to the bedroom, while Yumi followed. She assisted him into tucking Sophie in bed. 
"Yumi..." 
She turned to face him, "Hm?"
"Do you mind watching her for a while. I just have to check something in my study area." Lay requested.
Yumi nodded, "Of course. I'll be right here."
"Thank you." Lay said, before he walked out the room. 
Yumi sat on the bed, she was eyeing the cozy interior, with varying shades of light blue and pale wood. 
She felt a hand reach for her, and she looked down on Sophie, who was peacefully sleeping. 
***
Yumi was preparing to leave until Sophie begged her to stay and watch over as she slept. She looked at Lay who was just finished with his work in his study area. 
"It's pretty late anyway, and the rain hasn't really stopped..." he said. "You can stay with Sophie, and I'll just sleep in the guest room."
"Appa, stay with us too." Sophie said, pulling on to the hem of Lay's shirt. 
Yumi and Yixing looked at each other as if asking what they should do. In the end, they both shared the bed but with Sophie as their barrier.
***
Sophie awakened in the middle of her dad and Yumi. She was watching them as they slept peacefully; she admired at the idea of having them both at her side. 
But she was very mischievous and sneaked out the room to leave them alone. Sophie headed to her own room across the Master's bedroom and tucked herself in her own bed. 

--End Of Chapter---