Art Fest...

Day By Day

Yixing woke up early on a Friday morning, he hurriedly got dressed, and kissed his daughter's forehead before he snuck out of the room. He headed to the kitchen and was greeted by Yi Lin, who was still dressed in her pajamas.

"Good morning, oppa...." she sleepily said. Yixing quickly prepared a bowl of cereal and began to eat. He spilled some of the cereal and milk. His sister was staring at him, dumbfounded.

"What? You know the plan right?" Lay asked. Yi Lin started eating toast, "Yeah, you kept telling me on the phone yesterday."

"Good, good." He placed the bowl and spoon in the sink, "I'll go now!"

Lay rushed out of the house, he got into his car and drove off.

***

"Appa left early?" Sophie asked, her immo was sitting beside her in the car.

Yi Lin nodded, "Yes, oppa has an early office meeting today." Sophie crossed her arms, "I knew it." she whispered, hiding her face from Yi Lin. Her immo patted her head, "It's okay, Sophie."

The kid wiped a small tear away, "Are we there yet?" she asked. Sophie knew that Ms. Park would accompany her the whole day, but still her appa's presence would make a bigger difference.

Then she got a view of the school, kids hand-in-hand with their mother or father. Sophie felt even sadder. They parked near the gate, Yi Lin went out of the car first, then she opened the car door for Sophie.

Sophie went out of the car lazily; Yi Lin held her hand as they walked in the school. "I'll walk you up to your class, okay?" her immo said, her voice was apologetic.

Sophie can only nod. She gazed at the school field where the kids are. Some were happily talking to their parents. She decided to look down to avoid jealousy.

But then a familiar pair of black office shoes came across her sight, Sophie immediately looked up.

Then there he was. Her appa, smiling at her. Sophie could almost feel the rush of joy reach her eyes. Yi Lin let her go and Sophie ran to him.

"APPA!" she yelled, ignoring the sudden stares of the crowd. Lay hugged her daughter. When she pulled away, she started talking "Immo said you'd be busy again!"

Yi Lin chuckled and  stepped closer to them, "Your appa wanted to surprise you..."

Sophie grinned, "You're the best, appa!" she hugged him again, Lay kissed her head. "Oi, what about me?" Yi Lin jokingly frowned.

Sophie also hugged her, "You too, immo."

Yi Lin stood back up, "Alright, I have to go now....Enjoy your day, Sophie!" She waved at them.

When Yi Lin left, Sophie happily walked along the school, proud about the presence of her dad.

"Where's your classroom, princess?" Yixing asked.

"Over there!" Sophie pointed at the 3rd door on the left side of the hall. Sophie was excitingly leading her dad to the room. And when they entered Ms. Park was already seated on her desk explaining some reminders to her students and their parents stayed at the back.

But Lay's attention was stolen and directed to Ms. Park. She was familiar. He asked his daughter, "Sophie, what's the name of your songsaengnim again?"

Sophie perked up, "Ms. Park Yumi!"

Yumi's immediately glanced at them, upon hearing her name. She saw Lay, handsomely standing, holding Sophie's hand. He was dressed casually this time; a navy blue shirt and khaki jeans. Her eyes was just as surprised as his. She quickly composed herself, she smiled and asked them to come in.

Sophie's smile widened, and Lay let her go to her seat. He proceeded to the back along with the other parents.

Yumi tried to avoid Lay's eyes as she oriented the crowd about the day's event.

"Alright, I see that you've understood. Some materials are on your children's desks... Let's get started, shall we?" Yumi announced, smiling at the kids.

The parents approached their children, and some decided to work outside. Yixing and Sophie stayed alone in the classroom.

"Appa, what should we draw?" Sophie asked, toying with the scattered crayons, Lay also bought his daughter new watercolors and brushes. Then Sophie decided to draw a unicorn, Lay kept on laughing as he helped her color their sketch.

At the corner, Yumi watched them. Shocked, because Sophie's dad is the man she went to have lunch with last Wednesday. She was also contemplating on whether  she should approach them.

Sophie turned back, "Ms. Yumi!" she called, Yumi was startled from her daydream.

"Uh, yes, Sophie?" she asked.

"I want you to meet my appa." Sophie chirped, then standing up to get Yumi from her spot. Sophie held on to her hand as they stood near her dad.

"Appa, meet the best songsaengnim: Ms. Park Yumi!" Sophie introduced, Yumi stood there awkwardly but smiling either way.

Lay smirked, he held out his hand, "Annyeong haseyo, Zhang Yixing imida... Sophie's dad."

Yumi nodded and accepted his hand, same spark as the first time she held it, "Annyeong..."

"Nice to finally meet you, Ms. Park. So you're the teacher that Sophie can't stop talking about..." Lay smiled, and Yumi wanted to divert her gaze away but she couldn't.

She cleared , "Nice to meet you, too... Mr. Zhang." they were silent for a while, but Lay's eyes never left hers.

Until a parent approached with his kid, "Ms. Yumi, we're finished... What do we do?"

Yumi answered, "Ah yes, uh.. The creations will be posted in the art wall. I'll give you some tape for that.. Wait, excuse me for a while..."

She walked away, and Lay chuckled, "What's funny, appa?" Sophie asked.  "Nothing, princess. Should we finish our unicorn?" Lay replied, smiling.

"Sure appa!" Sophie replied, rushing back to her art.

***

Lay assisted Sophie as she stepped inside their silver SUV; the school's art festival. She remembered how her appa pinned their unicorn drawing on the school's art wall, Lay even took a picture of it as a keepsake. They were dismissed from school early.

The car started to move, and Sophie settled on the warm car seat beside her appa. She peeked through the windows moments later. Sophie was observing the street, until she noticed someone walking by.

"Songsaengnim!" she yelled, and it caught Lay's attention, "Ms. Yumi?" he asked, eyes curious.

"Yes, look!" Sophie pointed.

Lay kindly tapped their driver's shoulder, "Slow down a bit..." Sophie pressed the car button to lower the window.

"Ms.Yumi!" she yelled.

Yumi was busy walking, and she was surprised upon hearing the sound of her name. She turned around, and saw Sophie grinning, her head peeking through a car window. Yumi knew that her dad was probably inside the vehicle too.

She breathed a laugh, she waved at Sophie, "Hi!"

The car stopped, and Sophie immediately opened the door and hopped off. Yumi looked stunned, "Aren't you going home yet?" she asked, as she bent down to accept Sophie's hug.

"Appa wanted to eat first! But then I saw you!" Sophie said. Lay also got off the car, met Yumi's eyes, and spoke, " She's always happy to see you, isn't she?"

Yumi chuckled, "Sophie's not making it that obvious..." Lay tucked his hands in his pockets, "So are you on your way home, Ms. Yumi?" He was thinking if he should ask her to join them.

Yumi stood, "Uh, yeah..."

Sophie clapped her hands once, "Oooh, songsaengnim, why don't you come with us for lunch?"

Lay waited for Yumi's response as she stared at Sophie. He was amused at how his daughter thought of his own plan. Maybe it was some kind of father-daughter telepathy.

"Um, I don't know, Sophie...Wouldn't it be weir--?"

Yixing stopped her, then he smiled, "It's okay, Ms. Yumi, we insist."

Yumi felt warmth rush her cheeks, stop smiling at me... she thought.

Sophie tugged her skirt, "See? Appa's okay with it..." Yumi considered for a moment, she wouldn't want to disappoint Sophie, right? Besides, it's just lunch.

Yumi tried to shrug cooly, smiling at them she said, "Sure, it's still early anyway." 

"Yay!" Sophie cheered, she held her appa's hand, "Ms. Yumi's joining us, isn't it great?"

Lay nodded, "Let's go then, I'll take the passenger seat." He walked back to the car, and opened the door for them, Sophie excitedly got in first, and Yumi followed.

When he got to the front seat, he turned his head, looking at Yumi, "You don't mind pizza, do you?"

Yumi shook her head, "Not at all."

"We're all good, then." Lay said, shuffling so his head looked forward at the dashboard. He smiled at the window.

***

They were dropped off at a sidewalk near the pizza restaurant, as the driver looked for a parking spot.

Sophie walked in front of them, Lay and Yumi were watching her from behind.

"Ah, this is awkward..." Yumi whispered, but it was loud enough for Lay to hear. He chuckled, "Don't look at it like that, think of it as my repayment.. Ms. Yumi"

Yumi laughed, and looked at him, "Just Yumi. And right... you haven't forgotten about that, huh?"

Lay tapped his head, and smirked "Good memory."

"Good memory, huh? Speaking about a guy who forgot his wallet. Double check if you have it today." Yumi joked.

Lay scratched his head, his smile haven't left him ,"Of course I do."

They reached the restaurant, it wasn't crowded. Sophie headed to a table accompanied by sofa seats. She patted the spot next to her, "Appa, can seongsaengnim sit here?"

"Sure,princess." Lay approved, Yumi found Lay's endearment for his daughter cute. She sat beside Sophie, and Yixing took the chair across her. A waitress approached them with menus. Lay took it, "So, what should we order?"

"Pizza, uh, with CHEESE!" Sophie suggested, grinning at her dad. Her appa chuckled, "Of course, princess. Can't skip that..."

Lay ordered two pizzas, drinks, and a chocolate bingsu. Sophie kept talking as they waited for the orders.

"Songsaengnim! Did you know that appa's a CEO?"

Yumi's eyes widened, "Oh really? No, I was not aware..." she looked at Lay, "I guess that explains the clothes, huh?"

Lay shyly laughed, "Comes with the job description..."

Yumi smiled, "It's impressive, Mr. Yixing... " Lay leaned forward, "Thanks. I guess."

Then Sophie started again, giving a smile at Yumi, "Appa, seongsaengnim's pretty, isn't she?"  Yumi coughed as she was drinking water.

Lay chuckled, "Of course, princess." Yumi felt herself blush again, so she ducked her head. "She's nice too!" Sophie added.

Sophie continued to talk and the adults simply listened to her. She would equally praise her appa and Ms. Yumi. The food came, and they happily ate in silence. Sometimes it would be awkward when Yumi's hand brushes against Lay's when she reached for a pizza slice.

When they finished eating, Lay offered to drive Yumi to her home. She obliged, because they probably won't let her walk alone anyway.

The car ride was smooth, and the music that Lay played were nice. Yumi liked the songs, and wondered if she could ask him about it someday.

Yumi gave a final instruction to the driver to turn left, she could see her house a small distance away, so she pointed at it.

They parked near the gate, and Yumi can see Chanyeol and Baek sitting on the bench outside.

Lay got off the car first, and got a few looks from Chanyeol and Baek. He opened the door for Yumi, and she had to purse her lips because the two guys would probably .

"OPPAS!" Sophie yelled, turning the car window down.

The oppas, smiled, "Sophie!" They rushed to greet her, but paused when they saw Lay.

Yumi cleared as she stood next to him, "Um, Chanyeol oppa..Baek, meet Zhang Yixing. Sophie's dad."

They bowed and shook hands with him, "Great to meet you, sir." Chanyeol said.

"Nice to meet you too." Lay said, smiling at them, "We were just dropping Yumi off." he explained.

Yumi stood there awkwardly, avoiding Baek's teaseful eyes, she turned to Lay, " I guess this is goodbye then, Mr. Zhang."

Yixing smiled, "Just call me Lay. And yes, we should get going..." Yumi nodded, looking at Sophie, "Bye, bye Sophie. I'll see next week, okay?"

Sophie smiled, even her eyes was happy, "Yes, songsaengnim. Thank you for having lunch with us!"

Yumi hugged Sophie because she was reaching her arms out from the car window. Also, she waved at Lay before he got into the car. She watched them drive away.

Baek whistled, playfully standing on his feet, "I assume lunch was great?"

Yumi rolled her eyes at him. Chanyeol chuckled, "Didn't see that coming, sis."

"Whatever, it was just lunch..." Yumi muttered walking towards their main door.

Baek laughed, "Just call me Lay." he was mimicking Yixing. Yumi pushed him away playfully. She entered the house, and then her phone beeped.

It was a text. From him...

Lay: Thank you, Yumi. Sophie and I appreciate it. :) 

---End Of Chapter---