Yilin and Kai

Day By Day

Baekhyun opened the door, and greeted Yi Lin and Hana as they arrived.
"Hi guys!"
Yi Lin and Hana smiled at him, "Hey! We arrived just in time right?" Hana asked, as they entered. 
Baek nodded, "Yup. We just finished making the popcorn. Yumi-ssi's waiting in the living room."
They planned a stay-home hangout which includes watching a movie, and playing board games. 
Yumi was comfily sitting in the living room, wearing a big sweater due to the cold weather. She saw Baek walk in with Yi Lin and Hana.
They greeted each other and sat down on the beanbags. 
"So what are we watching? Zombie movie?" Baek asked. 
"Ew no. We're going to eat..." Yumi replied, "Comedy?" Hana suggested. 
"Okay okay. Geez..." Baek answered, he stood up to set-up the T.V.
"How are you, Yumi-ssi?" Yi Lin asked, grabbing the bowl of popcorn. Yumi shrugged, "Alright, no major problems or anything..."
"That's good... Oh, thanks for inviting us by the way. Lay told me to apologize for not being able to come." Yi Lin replied. Yumi half-smiled, "It's fine. He texted me about it minutes ago."
Baekhyun finished setting up and joined them on the carpet. He moved the coffeetable to the side. 
"The Holiday? Is this movie good?" Hana asked, lifting the dvd case. 
"The reviews are okay, and it's a rom-com." Yumi answered. 
***
They watched the movie until it ended, and afterwards they prepared a boardgame called, "Monopoly". Baekhyun brought out a bottle of soda from the fridge, and placed it on the carpet beside them. 
"This is gonna be fun." Hana sang, while organizing the game. 
"Oh, Yi Lin-ssi, have you made up with Kai already?" Baek asked. Yi Lin smiled, "Yes, since last week actually."
Yumi drank a glass before asking, "I'm getting curious, how'd you guys meet in the first place?"
Hana chuckled, clapping her hands together "Ooh, story time." Yi Lin rolled her eyes at her, "As if you don't know, Hana."
"But we don't know yet." Baek said, fixing the play money.
"You can tell us while playing the game." Yumi suggested. 
"Fine. But it's a really long story..." Yi Lin muttered. 
Hana spoke,"We have all night! So spill it!" 
***
(Backstory time...hue hue)
The weather was hot and so was Yi Lin's head. Summer was becoming a dread, and she didn't know how much amount of ice cream she's eaten since last week. She was parking her car, finished with grabbing a meal for lunch. If she walked fast, she'd get back to the office soon and feel the airconditioning. Yi Lin rushed out into the warmly humid parking lot.
She sighed as she finally entered the elevator, squishing herself in between the crowd who was nodding at her for acknowledgement. Yi Lin smiled at them, and watched as the doors close.
***
*present time*
Baekhyun moved his boardgame character after Yi Lin finished her first narration, "Really? You worked for Lay?" 
Even Yumi looked surprised.
Yi Lin nodded, "Yes, it's because my parents wanted me too. And my college degree was in line with his business so..."
"All this time I thought you were into fashion design..." Yumi said, before rolling the dice. 
"She was an operation's manager for Lay's company back then." Hana added. 
Yi Lin shook her head and half-smiled before she explained, " I was kinda the black sheep of my family, but not in the 'mess up your life kind of way'. I guess my interests were just different."
"Oh, now I get it. So you hated working at Lay's office, huh?" Yumi asked. 
"Not that I hated it; it just felt like I wasn't being myself." Yi Lin answered, "You're on my property by the way." She said pointing at the board game, "Pay up, Yumi-ssi."
Yumi rolled her eyes and handed her the play money. Baekhyun looked to the side then back to Yi Lin, "So where does Kai come in?"
"Let me continue the story, then..." Yi Lin replied, recalling the past.
***
*backstory phase*
"Are you really going to accept the deal?" Lay asked, hopeful. 
Kai smiled as he took a seat in one of the leather chairs across Lay's office desk.
"Yes, is the offer still available?" He replied. 
Kim Jongin had just returned from Beijing, a year after finishing his degree from their university. Him and Lay went to the same school, and became good friends during their stay in China. Lay was his senior, so he graduated earlier, but Yixing offered him to become his business partner;  after his graduation and training seminars. Both finished their engineering courses, and went into the automobile industry. 
Lay laughed, "Of course it is, we'll have the paperworks ready."
"Ah, I almost forgot how formal everything works now." Kai said, looking around his office and admiring the cleanliness of it. "Yeah, I hope you won't mind a bunch of corporate wear from now on." Lay said. Kai rolled his eyes, but he was joking,  "Like I said... Everything is so formal now." Lay suddenly stood up and gestured his arm towards Kai, he wanted to shake hands. Kai chuckled, "Right." He stood, and took Lay's hand.
 "Partners."
 They both laughed at their corny business actions. 
"Ah, so what are your other business plans? Any other activities that you want to talk about?" Lay asked as he sat back down.
 "Not really, I just got here hyung." Kai replied, "But I do plan on walking around the city again... I really missed it. "
Lay nodded, "And have you found a residential?" 
Kai spoke, "Yeah, just a studio apartment. It's quite small, but my parents are in the province anyway. It's good enough. How about you? I heard you're a father now."
"Uh yeah, surprising isn't it? Her name's Sophie." Lay answered, he seemed happy. 
"Hyung, I still can't believe you're a married man already. You're gonna have to introduce me to them someday... So how's Mina? Are you guys doing well?" Kai asked, he was happy for his hyung. 
"I guess we're okay." Lay replied, Kai frowned, "Don't tell me you have wife troubles already."
Lay laughed weakly, "It's nothing bad. We'll resolve it."
"Okay. If you say so." Kai said, his expression looked doubtful. 
They finished their conversation after an hour and Kai bid Lay goodbye. Lay waved at him, before picking up a telephone call. He walked out the office and accidentally hit someone with the door as he opened it. 
"Ow! Son of a--" 
Yi Lin almost cursed as she rubbed her forehead, but her focus was diverted to the paperworks that scattered on the floor. They were highly important. She immediately bent down to pick them up before they get mixed up.
Kai quickly helped her, "I'm sorry. I didn't see you." He was picking up the papers while looking at the girl's red forehead. It would probably bruise. 
"Obviously." Yi Lin muttered under her breath, "Sir, it's fine. Leave it to me."  He didn't stop though. She glared at him and  pulled a piece of paper from his hand, "I said leave it to me."  She accidentally gave him a paper cut. She finally met his face... 
She admitted that he's quite handsome, his skin was a nice tan and those brown eyes met hers. His facial expression becoming the similar annoyed expression  as hers. 
"Ouch! Seriously?" He checked his index finger. 
 Her eyes widened at the little sight of blood. "I didn't mean to do that." 
Kai glanced up at her, "Are we even now?" 
She rolled her eyes, "It's because you weren't listening." 
Yi Lin grabbed the last piece paper, she'll just orderly organize them later. Kai sighed as he stood back up, Yi Lin spoke, while fixing her eyeglasses,  "The clinic is after that hallway, then go left. Ask for a bandaid or something." 
Kai watched as she walked away, while Yi Lin hi behind an office wall checking the bump on her forehead. 
***
A week after meeting up with Lay, Kai went back to his office to officially meet up with a few board members and sign their partnership contract. He wore a simple and dark office suit, he dropped the idea of wearing a necktie. 
He reached the office floor's main entrance and Lay caught sight of him. 
"Kai!" Lay greeted when Kai walked in. Lay looked amused, "Nice suit." Kai crossed his arms, Lay still looked more formal, "I tried my best."
Lay patted his shoulder, "Let's wait in the office first. They'll tell us when the board members have arrived."
They entered his office, and Kai sat down on the leather chair. He was nervous, but he was good at hiding it. 
Lay sank on his own chair, "I think it's my secretary who'll inform us..." he said. 
"Speaking of secretaries...The one you have is really grumpy. I mean I was just helping with picking up a bunch of paperwork a--" Kai said. 
"Huh? Are you sure? He's actually joyful all the time..." Lay replied, narrowing his eyebrows. Kai looked at him weirdly, he was about to speak until the telephone on Lay's desk sent a voice message: "Good day, sir. Ms. Zhang is asking permission to enter your office." 
Lay pressed a button, "Sure, let her in." 
Minutes later, Yi Lin opened the door to Lay's office.
"Oppa, the boa--"
She stopped when she saw Kai sitting. His outfit was a far contrast to the black sweater and jeans from last week.
"Ah! Yi Lin, meet Kim Jongin. Our ner business partner." Lay said, standing up and gesturing at Kai, who was surprised. 
Yi Lin's eyes widened, not looking at Kai, although she could his gaze at her,  "Business partner?" 
Kai looked at Lay, "Oppa?"
Lay's face looked confused, why are they asking him questions? 
"Ugh, yeah. Kai, this is Yi Lin, our operation's manager... My sister, remember?" Lay replied to Kai. Kai tried to recall the time Lay introduced him to her. But all he ever did was show him a family picture when they were kids. I guess she was the kid beside him in the photo. 
"No, I don't remember.". Kai replied, scratching the back of his ear. Meanwhile, Yi Lin was still looking at them. She was internally questioning everything, but contained herself. Kai cleared his throat, "Uh, anyway..." he walked close to her, and lifted his arm to shake her hand, "Nice to meet you, again." 
Yi Lin nodded, shaking his hand in return, it was a bit cold, "Same to you, sir." 
Yixing's brow raised, "Again? You met already?" 
"Yeah. The other day." Kai replied, as he let go of her hand. 
Yi Lin spoke, "I'd love to stay and chat, but I believe the board members are waiting..."
***
Yi Lin wanted to kick Kai's office door open, when he refused to let her in for the nth time now. She even acted and asked nicely. If it weren't for the employees, she would have done her plan to kick the door down. She was frustrated because Lay officially made her submit annual reports to Kai. He was too much of a perfectionist, and Yi Lin didn't know if that's what he really is, or if he's just playing around with her. 
She clutched the folder and opened the door. Heck, she was done with asking permission. 
Kai was surprised when Yi Lin walked in his office. Her wavy hair was in a ponytail and he sort of liked it. He shoved the idea away.  
She made way to his desk and dropped the report folder. Kai gave her a look, waiting for her to talk.  
"I'm sure you'll have comments about it again. If you do, which I'm sure you do, just tell me about it later." Yi Lin said, she didn't wait for his response. She left his office.
***
Yi Lin was busy sketching because her workload wasn't as much. 
Meanwhile, Kai was heading up to her work station, the report  folder in his hand. The other employees bowed to greet him, he returned pleasant greetings as well. 
He found the most spacious office cubile, where the words "Operations Manager" was written. Kai peeked a bit, and saw Yi Lin casually writing something. He walked closer to see what she was doing; she wasn't writing but rather sketching a forest-like image. He smiled, he wanted to watch but of course there's work to do.
 She didn't even notice him until he cleared his throat. 
"Ehem."
She jumped on her chair and immediately closed her sketchbook. Yi Lin turned to face him, "Yes? Do you need something?" 
Kai was looking down at her, impressed with what he just saw, "I didn't know you could draw."
Yi Lin looked up at him, she sighed,  "So? It's not like it matters here." She hid her sketchpad in her desk drawer, "What do you want, sir? "
Kai sighed, he placed the report folder back on her desk. He left quickly. 
Yi Lin opened the folder, anticipating his usual correction remarks. But this time was different, a small sticky note was on top of her report. She read his familiar handwriting: "Good work."
*present*
"So, you guys didn't get along at first?" Baek asked.
"Are you kidding? They got on each others nerves all the time." Hana said. Yumi laughed, "I still can't believe he hit you with a bulletproof door."
"Yeah, Lay got really stressed over the fact that his best friend and his sister can't get along." Yi Lin said, and then she sighed heavily, "Ugh. I still remember what he did about it. He sent me to New York for a business trip with Jongin. But turns out we weren't going to participate in any of it..." 
Yumi laughed, "So Yixing played as the match-maker?" 
"No, that wasn't his intention at all. But yeah, this was all his fault in the first place." 
***
Backstory: NYC Day 1
Their plane finally landed in New York City. Yi Lin sighed in her airplane seat as she heard the last reminder of the crew. She glanced at the rest of the employees on the plane. Ji-An, a friend of hers in the company, smiled at her. Yi Lin chuckled as Ji-An pretended to act like a zombie. "The jetlag is going to be so baaad.." Yi Lin said, stretching her arms. Then, she went to look at Kai who was sitting at the row beside them. His eyes looked a bit bloodshot from his sleep. His earphones still in his ears, she wondered if he could hear the flight stewardess...
As they got in the JFK airport, Yi Lin silently thanked the building's heater. The winter season just arrived in the city, and she would have to endure it. 
It would be her second time in NYC, but this time she wasn't looking forward to it, this wasn't a tourist trip. 
---
NYC: Day 2
Yi Lin wanted to curse under her brother for the first time in their lives. Their names weren't on the list. The.Registration.List. 
She perfectly recalled how Yixing assured her that everything had been settled. 
But nope. 
Now she was standing in the cold, noisy streets of 34th street in NYC, outside the convention center. With of course, Jongin. 
"Please tell me you found a solution to this..." she said, facing him. Kai's jaw was tense, he seemed pissed. He only shrugged. Yi Lin rolled her eyes, but not at him. They've already called Lay, several times, but all his replied were grumbly from sleep.  
They both stood in silence, just watching the people pass by. The two of them turned as they heard their names get called; Jaejoon, one of the office's secretaries ran to them. He was pretty much breathless when he got to them, his usual neat hair was messed up, the hairwax wearing off. 
He placed his hands on his knees, "Sunbaenim, I really can't get you inside the event... Whoo, they have all this policies ...  we even bribed them, ... But damn this people...Sorry." 
Yi Lin saw Kai grimace. She pursed her lips, as she patted Jaejoon's shoulder, "You did what you can do... We'll still make sure to find a way... At the meantime, make sure you guys document everything." 
"But what about you? And Mr. Kim?" he stood up, glancing at Kai. "Don't mind us. We'll think of something." he replied, assuring their worker. 
Jaejoon nodded at both of them, "If you say so, I have to go now... We really hope you find a way!" he said, as he returned to the convention center. 
---
He felt as if he watched the day end, witnessing the sunset from his hotel room's window. The night lights of the city beginning to show. 
Kai's mantra became: "I'm bored... I'm bored... I'm bored" as he walked around his hotel room. Sometimes he would just watch the winter snow collect on the window's edges. He usually liked winter, but this wasn't home. He constantly checked his phone for any updates from Lay but there were still no calls or texts. 
They've already missed a day of the conference. 
He fell on his bed, and opened the calendar in his phone... They were supposed to stay here for two weeks in New York City, for a business purpose but the idea seems to be fleeting now. Kai sighed as stood back up and picked up his gray coat from his bed, he put it on and glanced at himself in the mirror. He should take a walk or something, to remove the stress. He grabbed the hotel room's keycard and headed out. 
Kai waited on an elevator, and entered the doors finally opened. He pressed the button for the hotel lobby, and looked down on his shoes. 
"Wait.. Oh wow, that hurts." 
He looked up, eyebrow raised as the person stopping the doors.   
It was Yi Lin who held her arm up to stop the doors from closing. Their eyes caught each other and they both looked surprised. She entered the elevator and stood next to him, she checked the panel of buttons, but the lobby floor was already clicked. They were heading the same way. Kai noticed Yi Lin rub her arm, "You could've just waited for another elevator."
"Who has the time for it..." Yi Lin mumbled. 
"That might bruise." Kai said. 
"It'll be fine. It's covered up anyway." she sighed, "By the way, did oppa contact you already?" 
Kai shook his head, "Not even a message." Yi Lin frowned, "I'm beginning to think this was all planned..." 
The elevator reached the lobby, and they both walked out simultaneously. 
"Where are you heading anyway?" Yi Lin wondered, as they paced. 
"Uh..Anywhere? And what do you mean by this was all planned?" Kai replied, remembering her previous remark. 
Yi Lin scoffed, "Anywhere? In this huge city? You can't be serious..." 
"I just really want to leave the hotel room, okay?" Kai snapped, "Will you just answer my question?" 
Yi Lin chuckled at his tone, she relaxed her shoulders,  "You must be bored then. Well... for starters, of all the people who can't get in the event it has to be the two of us." 
Kai pressed his lips, and then spoke, "And what does that mean?" 
"Seriously? What do you think it means?" Yi Lin answered.
"Are you trying to tell me that this is a set up for us to get along?" 
"Bingo." Yi Lin muttered, "I just realized it as well... Around ten minutes ago." 
Kai laughed, "Your brother would go to this extent? Unbelievable." 
"Can't believe it either... What else can we do?" Yin replied. 
"We go with it." 
"Huh?" Yi Lin turned to him, and they both stopped walking. 
Kai laughed lightly, "We're going to tour New York City." She scoffed, "With each other?" 
He shrugged, "Let's not put his plan to waste." 
Yi Lin narrowed her eyes at him, "Please tell me you're kidding." 
Kai grinned at her and pulled her arm, rushing out into the cold New York street.
----
NYC: Day 9
"I found it!" Yi Lin cheered, as she rushed to the other side of the road. Kai had to apologize to the people they bumped into along the pedestrian lane. Kai had to grab Yi Lin's hoodie, to slow her down, "Hey!" Yi Lin complained. 
"Can you please calm down? The store's not going anywhere." he said.Yi Lin held his face and shifted it to a certain direction, "One of the best bookstores ever." she said. 
"Three Lives and Company" Kai read. The store windows was mostly covered with books whose title's were unknown to him. Yi Lin let go of his face, an tucked her hands back in her coat. She headed the way, and walked inside the bookshop. 
"Good morning." a woman greeted, as they both walked in. The two of them smiled at her and Yi Lin greeted her back. Kai noticed how warm the shop's interior felt and it was rustic compared to the other shops they'd been to. Meanwhile, Yi Lin walked into a corner, and browsed through the book titles. 
"Are you going to buy something?" Kai wondered, running his hands through the book selections. 
"Depends. How about you?" Yi Lin replied, she was already reading a book's synopsis. "Do you read?" she asked, looking at him. 
"I might buy one. And yes. I do read." he said. Yi Lin nodded at his response, she returned the book back in place. Her eyes found a familiar title, "Oh, this is a good one." she said, picking it up, "You should read this." she said. Kai picked up the book from her hands, he noticed the coldness of her fingertips.
"It's about two magician's from the 19th century... It's a long novel, but the plot is really good." Yi Lin said. Kai gazed at the book's black and white cover of a circus tent, "Shoud I read it?" 
"If you want to..." Yi Lin replied. Kai smiled, "Alright. I'll buy it. I'll note it as Yi Lin's book suggestion. MUST READ." She laughed at him, "Whatever you say." 
After their trip at the bookshop, Kai and Yi Lin found a spot to buy coffee and hot chocolate. 
Kai laughed at the fogginess of Yi Lin's glasses after she sipped her coffee. 
"Ha-ha." Yi Lin mumbled, she took off her specs and wiped it with her red scarf.
 "Yi Lin." he started.
"Hm?" 
"Can we go to Central Park again?" he asked, then drinking his hot chocolate. 
"Why? Don't tell me you plan on going ice skating again..." Yi Lin answered, frowning at him; remembering their first activity in New York. 
Kai laughed loudly, "Yeah. You're terrible at it." 
Yi Lin hit him with her elbow, "Not funny... So what are we going to do?"
----
The christmas lights and decor filled park and from afar they could see a huge Christmas tree. The snow was beautiful against everything. Yi Lin paced behind Kai as he headed to the famous bridge in the park. He was watching his footsteps form on the snow, and then glanced behind his shoulder to check on her. 
"Don't you mind the cold, Kai?" Yi Lin asked, warming up her hands on her cheeks. The wind blew cooly on their faces so it was no use. 
"Uh, I'm alright. You didn't bring gloves again?" he replied. She nodded, "Yeah. I always forget 'em." 
"I noticed. Here." Kai brought out his gloves from his coat's pocket. Yi Lin waved her hand, "No, no.. It's fine." He rolled his eyes, and took her hand. Yi Lin looked at him questioningly. Kai unfolded the gloves, "Just wear them." She nodded, and placed her hand inside the leather winter gloves, and followed the routine for her other hand. 
"Thanks." she said. They stood next to each other, gazing at the frozen lake. "It's better here in the summer." she commented.
"You don't like the snow?" he asked. 
"No. It's not that.. It's just a lot more colorful... and of course..warmer.." she said, fixing the gloves. 
"You were born in the summer, right?" he asked. 
"Yup. And you're born in the winter." she replied. 
Kai pretended to think deeply, "Is that why we can't get along before? Because of the seasons we were born in..." 
Yi Lin chuckled, "Probably." 
"But you can't appreciate the warmth of summer, if don't experience winter. Right?" Kai asked, smiling at her. 
"Did our exploration in the bookshop make you all poetic?" Yi Lin teased. 
"It's your fault." he said, nudging her,  "Plus you took me to a museum, so yeah. I'm a bit poetic right now." 
"Wow, didn't think I'd influence you that much." she said. 
Kai spoke after a few minutes, "What happens when we come back?" 
"To Seoul? Um, I don't know... Work?" Yi Lin replied, casually laughing afterwards.
"And hangout?" he asked. They turned their heads towards each other, Yi Lin spoke, "Like this one?" 
Kai nodded. 
"Alright, Jongin. Not like there's anything better to do." she teased.
"Jongin?" Kai said, bewildered by his own name. 
"What? Can't I use it?" she questioned, grinning. He laughed, "You can, however I have to get used to it." 
They didn't speak for a while; both of them admired the lights reflecting on the frozen lake. But oftentimes, Kai found himself glancing at Yi Lin, her face tucked in her scarf. Her eyes would also turn to him, but she looks away quickly. 
"Can I say something?" she asked. 
Kai smirked, "Is it relevant?" 
"I'm always relevant. So let me talk." 
"Alright, what?" 
"You're not as bad as I thought." she started, smiling as she recalled a moment,  "I mean, you hit my head with a bulletproof door, you can't expect the best first impression..." 
Kai dramatically clutched his chest, "Wow, I'm touched." 
"No, really. I thought you'd get bored if you spent time with me here..." Yi Lin said, looking at her feet. 
Kai frowned, "I was never bored actually. In fact, I'm glad we didn't get into the convention." he laughed, "Maybe hyung's idea wasn't so bad." 
----
Yi Lin got back to the same window seat on the back of the plane where she sat during their flight to New York .This time they were heading home. She watched the other employees get in the plane, she was waiting for someone. 
Kai got in, and smiled as he saw her. His winter coat was a shade of dark blue, his hair in some sort of disarray but it looked good on him. 
Ji-An stared at Yi Lin as she sat next to her, she tilted her head as she saw her smile. 
"Wow, is this smile actually genuine. Yi Lin-ssi?" Ji-An asked.
 Yi Lin turned to her, "Huh?"  But her attention went to Kai again. Ji-An followed her gaze, she whispered to Yi Lin, "Are you looking at Mr. Kim?" 
Yi Lin snapped, "What? No." 
Ji- An smirked, "But I just saw you." 
"I wasn't." Yi Lin insisted. 
Kai suddenly stood in front of their row, "Ms. Ji-An, do you mind if we trade seats for this flight?"
Ji-An smiled and faced Yi Lin, "Alright. No problem, sunbaenim." 
"Thank you." Kai said, as Ji-An stood and went to the row in front of them. 
"Why did you change seats?" Yi Lin asked, as Kai sat down beside her.
Kai smiled at her, "I think it's more comfy here."
"Uh-huh sure, Jongin." Yi Lin replied, Kai raised his finger to his lips, "They might hear you, call me that." 
"Oh yeah. I forgot you're our superior. Please do remind me." she whispered. 
He laughed, and adjusted in his seat. Yi Lin watched him take out his phone and earphones from his pocket. 
YI Lin rolled her eyes, "And here's to thinking you'd talk to me." 
"No. I plan on sleeping..." Kai teased. "I'm kidding" he smirkred. 
 He placed one bud in his ear, he gestured the other one to Yi Lin, "We can share music and talk." 
Yi Lin took the earbud from him. 
The music began to play and they talked about the places they visited, like the museums and Yi Lin laughed at Kai's sudden fondness of Central Park. 
"I think I'll miss New York." Kai smiled, glancing at her. 
Yi Lin maintained eye contact, "Me too."
----
"So how long were you guys 'just friends'?" Yumi asked, while Yi Lin was moving her game token. 
"Uh... I think a year and a half?" Yi Lin replied.
----
After three games of chess, she grew tired. Thinking of how to beat Jongin, finally on the last game she cornered his king. 
"Checkmate." Yi Lin announced, grinning as she glanced up at him. 
What she didn't know was that he was observing her. The way her eyes stayed focus as she observed the moves he would make. 
He'd been staring, and she was unaware. When Yi Lin looked back at him, he turned back to the board; noticing his defeat. 
Kai chuckled lightly, "You finally did it." She craned her neck, "Yeah. My brain got so drained... Can we watch a movie now?" 
He nodded, and stood up, "What movie do you want?"
"Harry Potter, whatever's there. I've seen it all anyway." she replied. He set up the player and the t.v. while she watched him. 
He went back to her afterwards, sitting on the couch. She handed the bowl of popcorn to him. When the movie began, she hummed the intro music, and he laughed at her. 
"It's one of my favorites you know. Half-Blood Prince is really good." she remarked. 
They were comfortably sitting next to each other, he noticed that it was getting colder. He picked up a small blanket from the couch and gave it to her, covering half of her body.
"How about you?" she asked. Yi Lin didn't wait for his reply, she shared the blanket with him, he scooched closer. Her warmth was somehow comforting, and she was not minding the closeness, only focusing on the film. 
His eyelids began to feel heavy minutes later, "If I fall asleep, would you be mad?" 
She looked at him with disbelief, "You'd fall asleep on Harry Potter?" 
He smiled sleepily, "I've watched it too, you know..."
Yi Lin crossed her arms, directing her eyes back to the screen, "Fine, I'll watch it by myself then. " She felt his head rest on her shoulder, it made her focus back on him again. Her shoulders tensed but quickly relaxed, as she saw his sleeping face.  She tried to angle his head so he would be more comfortable. She laughed quietly, and fixed the blanket so it would cover him more. Honestly, she wasn't that cold, her sweater was thick enough. 
As she watched, she was unaware of her fingertips playing with his hair. It was soft as she had expected.
She lost all focus on the film, and she ended up being curious about him instead. 
She felt guilty about not watching the movie, "This is your fault..." she whispered as she gazed at him. 
Her fingers moved to his forehead, she removed the messy bits of his hair. Then, she traced his jaw. To her surprise he caught her hand, she assumed that it was meant for her to stop. But instead he moved her hand to his lips, and softly kissed it. 
She felt her heart beat like crazy, and she never experienced that in years. As if it was a casual thing, he let her hand go, and slept deeply again, he gave a soft hum. She slumped her back on the couch.
Was he unaware? She distanced her hand.. 
"Harry Potter...Harry Potter... Harry Potter..." she mumbled to herself, reminding herself to just put her mind on the film and not on the guy she was falling in love with.
***
Kai woke up, sitting up straight moments later. He removed the blanket from his body. He noticed the television was already turned off, and a bowl of popcorn was left on the coffee table, along with scattered chess pieces: a queen cornering a king. 
He glanced behind him and saw her sleeping, sitting up. Her head lolling on one side.In one hand, she was still holding the remote. 
He took it from her carefully, not wanting to wake her, he also placed the blanket back to her. He got a pillow from the couch and helped her lie down on the thick carpet. He watched her roll on one side. 
He got up quietly and cleaned up the table, he found his gray sweater and put it on,  then checked his phone for the time. 
7:00 P.M. 
He had slept too long. He ran his hands through his hair, thinking of what he should do next. 
Dinner?
He thought, but he wasn't good at cooking; he decided to order a delivery instead. 
He went back to his apartment's kitchen, and ordered on the telephone. She wouldn't mind eating chicken.
After placing an order he found two mugs on the kitchen shelf. He made hot chocolate, and coffee. 
Yes, coffee.
 He started buying them for her, for the times she would visit. 
"Two teaspoons of sugar...and one cream..." he mumbled, remembering her combination. 
He placed the mugs on a tray and headed back to his cozy living room. She was already awake when he got back, she was rubbing her eyes. 
"You made coffee.." she stated, as she looked at him, smiling. 
"How'd you know?" He asked, pretending to hide away the mugs.
"I can smell it." she said as she sat up straighter, wrapping the blanket around her shoulders. 
He placed the tray on the table and she picked up the mug. She liked how the steam warmed up her face. He smiled at her, and said, "I ordered chicken, by the way." 
She rolled her eyes playfully, "Of course you did." 
He chuckled, drinking from his own mug.
"Did you finish the movie?" He asked as he removed the mug from his face. 
She peered down, playing with the teaspoon, "Yup. I fell asleep after the movie. But it was good... The film was still..." she scratched her ear, "Uh...interesting."
***
Lay followed her Yi Lin rushed out of their parent's house. 
She was heading to her car, ragefully  opening the door. 
Before she got in, someone tugged on her arm. 
Her brother stood before her, looking worried but pissed off. 
"Where are you going?" Lay asked, closing the car door, then putting his arms to his sides. 
She rolled her eyes at him, "Home. Where I won't see anybody, especially them." She was talking about their parents. 
"Can't you try to understand the situation? They just want what's be--"
Yi Lin glared at him, raising her palm to his face, "Don't even try to finish that sentence." She pulled her arm away from him, "You think I'm that foolish? To follow your footsteps and get married by force?" 
Their parents prepared a "family dinner" but it was just to announce that she was ought to get married to a man they've set her up with. She didn't even bother listening the name. As she heard their statement, she walked out of the dining room. 
Now they stood outside the parking area of their home. Her brother sighed, frustrated by everything, "It just has to be done..."
"No. " she replied, "I won't do it. I've obeyed them my entire life, but this...This nonsense? I'm not taking it."
Lay gave her a withered look, "Is it because of him?"
"What?"
"I'm talking about Jongin." 
"He has nothing to do with this..." 
"Yes, but you and I both know that isn't just the case. I remember I asked him to distance himself from you, but the both of you didn't even listen to me. So what does that imply really? " Her brother stated, all knowingly,
She stayed silent at his remark. She folded her arms together. Her anger went down, but it turned into frustration. Of course he'd bring Kai into this. 
"You're just making more problems for yourself." Lay said massaging the back of his neck. 
She laughed sarcastically, "And more problems I shall have."
Yi Lin opened her car door, and immediately got in. She started the engine and quickly drove away.
She felt calm after seeing how distant she was from their house. 
A few meters later, she parked in front of a closed store.
She picked up her phone. 
Should she call him?
She sighed and found his number in the log. She rang him up, waiting for him to pick up. 
"Hello?" his familiar voice said. 
She smiled sadly, her voice's tone seemed off too, "Are you still up? Or did I wake you..." 
"No... Um, are you alright? You sound weird." Jongin asked, she could sense his burrowed eyebrows.
"I'm fine. I just need to talk to somebody..." she replied, slumping on her car seat. 
"Should we go on a walk then?" He asked, knowing her well. 
She half-smiled, "Ah, I was just about to invite you." 
----
Yi Lin's lips were pressed shut as she waited for Jongin in front of the convenience store near the entrance of some sort of playground. 
It was the only quiet place she knew. He'll find her anyway. 
She sat on a creaky swing set.  The spring season had just started and Yi Lin was admiring the smell of the freshly trimmed grass and the colors of the flowers. 
A few moments later he arrived, he quickened his pace when he saw her sitting on the swing. 
"Wow, you look like you just got broke or something..." he commented, when he got to her. 
Yi Lin sighed, "If I just runaway, that would probably happen." 
"Alright, what just happened?" Kai said, as he bent down to her level.
Yi Lin grimaced, "I'm getting married." She waited for his response, but his face remained cold for some reason. 
"I don't get it, what?" he asked. 
Yi Lin shrugged, " I don't know, it seems like the whole arranged marriage thing is becoming a hobby for my parents." 
"They set you up? With who? Tell me." Kai questioned, his eyes looking a bit intense. Yi Lin scratched her head in frustration, "I don't even know, I ran off the moment I heard about it... Jongin-ah, I don't want to get married." 
Kai glanced at the side,  "What did hyung say?" 
"Of course he wants me to listen to them... That's what he always says." Yi Lin answered. 
"Do me a favor?" Kai asked, focusing on Yi Lin's eyes. 
"What?" 
"Don't follow them."  
Yi Lin smiled despite her sadness, "I plan to. But I might not have a choice again." 
"Yes, you do... Me." Kai said, taking her hand. Their fingers intertwined together. Yi Lin looked confused when she gazed at him, "What do you mean?" 
"You can't accept the marriage because you'll be with me. It's that simple." Kai explained, brushing a strand of hair off her face. 
Yi Lin laughed, "No, it's very complicated. And my brother would probably kill you for it." 
"I'd accept that any day." he stated, Kai stood back up and pulled Yi Lin from the swing, he continued talking, "Please tell me you want to be with me too. Otherwise, I'll find another way to fight it." He placed his forehead on hers, and placed his hands on her waist. 
"We'll be in so much trouble, Jongin." Yi Lin whispered, wrapping her arms around her neck, "But I don't mind it at all." 
He smiled as he heard those words, and held her closer to him, and kissed her forehead.
---
Yi Lin was the first one to arrive in the board room, the seats were still empty and she looked for Lay's chair, which she was assigned to sit next to. 
She waited in the room, until one of the chairpersons walked in, whom Yi Lin likes to secretly call ahjumma, Mrs. Daeun, walked in. 
"Oh great.." Yi Lin thought. 
The ahjumma gave her a stare, just as usual. She'd gotten used to it, since everytime they met she'd do the exact same thing. 
Why?
Because the job position Yi Lin has, was supposed to be for her son. 
"Ah, what a pleasant surprise!  You're here early, Ms. Zhang." Mrs. Daeun greeted, her smile all-too-fake. 
Yi Lin nodded at her, "Yes, good morning, Mrs. Daeun." 
The lady spoke, "And why are you here? Isn't Yixing's assistant the one who should be taking notes?" 
"My brother's assistant is off to another business venture. I'll be the replacement, for the meantime." Yi Lin explained, sitting up straight. 
"Yes. Of course you are, and... What is this meeting  about again?" Mrs. Daeun asked.
"The topic will be introduced later in the meeti--"
"Are you saying that you don't know?" ahjumma questioned. Yi Lin was about to speak but she continued talking, "Of course you don't know. What does Ms. Zhang know about all this anyway?" 
"Excuse me?" Yi Lin replied, not being able to control her reaction. The woman laughed sarcastically, and Yi Lin felt her temper creep in. 
"You and I both know that you're not capable of the position you have." Mrs. Daeun said. Yi Lin's fist clenched, "I'm sorry, miss. I don't think it's the right time to discuss that." The woman stood up and walked closer to her seat, making Yi Lin cringe. 
Mrs. Daeun looked down at Yi Lin, "And when is the right time really? When will we talk about your cluelessness in this business?" 
This time Yi Lin stood up and faced her. 
"What's going on here?" 
Yi Lin and Mrs. Daeun's gaze went to Kai, he entered the room early enough to hear Daeun's last statement. His eyes went to Yi Lin, she looked like she was about to cry and yet angry at the same time. 
Mrs. Daeun stepped backward, when Kai went closer to Yi Lin. 
"Why did you insult her?" Kai asked, staring at the woman. He felt Yi Lin touch his arm, stopping him, but he moved forward as if guarding her. 
Mrs. Daeun's face looked off-guard, "I was not, just stating a few facts. And what is this situation? I'm impressed by the way you make connections, Yi Lin. " 
Kai's jaw tensed, "Miss, if it isn't obvious that this is a professional workplace, you are free to go." 
Mrs. Daeun raised her brow, "What did you just say?" 
"Leave." Kai stated, "We don't need people who look down on the staff just because they're postions are higher." 
Mrs. Daeun wanted to say something, but this time she kept shut. She returned to her seat, and picked up her purse; rushing out of the meeting room. 
Kai turned to check on Yi Lin, she wasn't looking at him.
"Are you okay?" he said, placing his hands on her shoulders, she nodded. 
"It's true anyway... Whatever that ahjumma said." She stated, wiping her eyes, "I just don't understand why I'm so angry." 
Kai held her close to him, "Yi Lin..."
"No, it's fine. I'm just... tired, I guess." she said, her voice muffled. 
Kai backed away from her, and looked into her eyes, "Be honest..." 
"What?"
"If you could, would you leave this job...For something you truly want?" he asked. 
Yi Lin smiled sadly, "You know I'd say yes, but things don't work that way... It never worked that way for me." 
Meanwhile, Yixing stood outside the meeting room's door, and heard everything. 
---
Today was the day. 
Yi Lin stood outside of Lay's office, holding a white envelope in her hands. 
She sighed lightly, and opened his office door. 
"Good morning, oppa." she greeted, when he saw her. 
"Ah, good morning, Yi Lin..." he said, and then his eyes wavered to the white envelope she was holding. 
Yi Lin smiled at him apologetically, "Oppa... I came to give you this." She placed the envelope on his desk. 
Lay took the envelope and unsealed it. He read the letter for a while. He glanced up at Yi Lin:
"Resignation letter?" 
Yi Lin nodded, "Oppa... I know this seems sudden... But I hope you understa--" 
"You're pursuing fashion design...Right?" 
"Yes. How did you kno--"
Lay smiled, "Kai told me. "
"He did?" Yi Lin wondered. 
Lay leaned forward, "I'll accept it, but you have to finish one last assignment." He picked up a beige folder from this table's drawer. 
"Oppa! I'm resigning and you're still going to give me a workload?" Yi Lin complained. 
Her brother laughed, "Just read it." 
Yi Lin took the folder from his desk; she gave him a look before opening it. She flipped the cover nervously. 
"Well?" Yixing asked moments later. 
Yi Lin finished reading, her eyes widened, "You got me a scholarship?" 
Lay nodded, "I asked my assistant to find the best school for you, oh and if you're wondering where your sketchbook went... I asked Kai to steal it, so I can submit it to the institute." 
"No way... I can't believe this...." Yi Lin said, her heart wanted to combust from happiness.
Lay replied, smiling at her genuinely.  "Well believe it. It's your last assignment... Accept the scholarship." 
---
"Wow, so it was Lay hyung who got you into the school? That's so cool." Baekhyun said, after listening to Yi Lin. 
Yi Lin smiled, "Yeah, it was unexpected. I guess that's why I'm also protective of my brother... He's done a lot of things for me." 
"So what happened? How did you meet Hana?" Yumi wondered. 
"Oh, tell them about meee..." Hana smirked. 
Yi Lin replied, "I met her in one of the fashion events in Seoul, we became friends and then set up a brand together... It took some time really." 
----
*Last backstory*
Yi Lin sat in the center of their studio, it was mostly empty, except for a work table.
"I knew I'd find you here." 
She heard his voice from the back of the room, she couldn't help but grin. 
Jongin stood there, giving his warmest smile. One of Yi Lin's favorite sights to see. 
"And what brings you here?" she asked, Yi Lin gestured for him to sit beside her on the clean, wooden floor. 
Jongin sat next to her, "Nothing just wanted to see you." Yi Lin nudged him, "Cheesy." 
He laughed as he held her hand, and Yi Lin bent her head down to his shoulder. 
"You seem happy." he said, as he watched their fingers intertwine together.
Yi Lin peeked at him, "I am happy." 
"I'm glad then..." he replied.
"Plus, I have you... Such a great bonus really." Yi Lin said. 
"I know." Jongin stated,  gazing at her and then kissed her lightly. 
After that, Yi Lin went to looking at the room. They talked about where the furniture and equipment should go, and what to do on weekends when they're done with the workweek. There was so much work to do in this place, but she didn't mind. She just admired how everything was having its beginning.