Ahjussi

Day By Day

 “Here you can find Sophie’s extra clothes and essentials…” Yi Lin said, gesturing at the sections of a duffel bag. Hana was nonchalantly listening, she agreed to babysitting Sophie today.

She wasn’t exactly sure if she would be suitable for the job but the kid grew on her. Plus, her dad was going to an overnight business trip. While Yi Lin had to represent their clothing line in a showcase at Japan. “So did you get it?” Yi Lin asked, a hand on her waist.

Hana nodded, “Yup. Clothes,shoes, essentials… Milk before bedtime.”

Yi Lin gave her a smug look.

 “What? I can totally do this babysitting thing. No worries, Yi Lin-ssi.” Hana said, confidently picking up the small traveling bag.

Yi Lin sighed, and sat on their living room’s couch. “Alright. I trust you. WE trust you.” Hana laughed, “Have you even packed your own stuff? Make sure to double check the first batch of our collection.” “I’m done with it. I double-checked the collection, too.” Yi Lin assured.

 Hana nodded, and looked around their spacious home, “So where’s Sophie?”

“Upstairs. I’ll call her.” Yi Lin said as she stood up and paced away.

Moments later, Yi Lin walked down the stairs carrying Sophie in her arms. “You be good, okay? Oppa and I will be home after a day. But Hana will be there to watch over you…” Sophie nodded, surprisingly fine with it.

Lay left early in the morning, and he probably said goodbye to Sophie first. Hana smiled as Yi Lin allowed Sophie to stand on the floor, “You okay Sophie? Don’t worry Hana unnie, will take care of you.” Sophie smiled back to Hana and nodded.

 “Well… I guess we should get going.” Yi Lin sighed, “I have a plane to catch around 4 P.M.” Hana agreed, and said: “Alright. You won’t mind if I take Sophie to the mall, right? We’ll just have dinner there.”

 “Sure. Let her have fun.” Yi Lin replied. Together they walked out of the home, Yi Lin was giving her reminders to their maids. She nicely said goodbye to them too. They stood on the porch waiting for Yi Lin’s car to arrive.

When it finally appeared from the driveway, she bent down to Sophie’s level, “Immo will see you soon, Sophie… Love you”

Sophie kissed her aunt’s cheek, “Okay, love you too.” Yi Lin straightened herself and hugged Hana, “Wish us luck! Hope the showcase goes well.” Hana hugged in return, “I hope so too. Have a safe flight, okay?”

“Yep. Goodbye, I’ll see you both soon.” Yi Lin dragged her luggage and handed it to the driver who was going to take it in the car’s trunk. Then he opened the passenger door for her, and closed it when she hopped in. Yi Lin let the car window down, and waved goodbye to them.

***

"Unnie, can we get bread after this?" Sophie said, holding Hana's hand while pointing at the bread and pastry shop. They were strolling inside the mall, heading to the department store.

"Sure thing, Sophie. We'll buy all the bread you want." Hana replied, "But first we'll eat dinner, okay? After we buy something in the department store, I can't believe your immo forgot to pack your shampoo." Hana sighed, "Not really surprised though."

They went to the hygiene section of the department store, and Hana browsed through the assortment of kid-friendly shampoos and bathsoap. She carried a shopping basket on her left arm and Sophie was holding her right hand. 

Hana finished grabbing their stocks and went to the cashier. The line wasn't fairly long. Meanwhile, Sophie was gazing at the rack of stuffed toys on the other side of the store.

"Unnie, may I go to the fluffy toys over there?" Sophie asked, looking up at Hana.

Hana turned to the toy section, checking if she should allow Sophie. It seemed safe and the line would be finished in no time.

"Sure, just don't go too far. Okay, Soph?" Hana replied. Sophie smiled and let go of her hand. She started skipping to the toys section.

Hana was watching her walk away, until her phone beeped. She received a text from Yi Lin:

Y: Still waiting in the airport, oppa's wondering about Sophie. You guys okay?

Hana stood on her toes to eye Sophie again, she was now looking at the racks on stuffed toys. Hana keyed in her reply:

H: Yep, all is good. No problems so far. You forgot to pack shampoo, btw.

"Next." The cashier said, Hana placed three items on the counter.

She waited for the cashier to finish scanning them. Afterwards, she paid with her credit card. Hana picked up the paperbag and walked towards the area where Sophie was browsing for toys.

She wasn't there.

Hana felt a bit of panic in her chest. "Oh no.. Sophie!" she yelled.

No response.

***

On the other side of the department store, Oh Sehun just finished walking around the men's apparel. He fitted three pairs of jeans and ended up buying two of them.

His attention was brought to the mini food section of the department store. Maybe he'd get himself some chocolate.

There was a lot of colorfully packaged snacks, Sehun found his favorite among the assortment of chocolates.

Then something bumped into his legs.

He looked down and saw a wide-eyed kid standing before him. Her dark hair was tied in a cute ponytail, and she was wearing a pink dress.

 She was smiling at him, while carrying a stuffed unicorn toy.

"Hello, are you okay?" Sehun asked, smiling as well.

"Hi, stranger. Did you see my unnie?" the kid replied.

Oh great, the kid was lost.

Sehun tilted his head, "You can't find her? Uh, what does she look like? Maybe I can help you look."

"Um, well... Unnie's hair is brown. She's wearing a blue shirt and a black skirt."

"That could be anyone, though." Sehun sighed, reaching out for the kid's hand, he said, "I'll just take you to a cashier and tell them so announce where you are."

Sophie nodded, and grasped Sehun's hand. Her appa said that she should not talk to weird strangers but he didn't look strange. And she was lost, she tried to find her unnie back at the cashier but she wasn't there.

They walked to a cashier marked with the number 5. Sehun approached the lady behind the counter, she seems to be allured by him.

"Annyeong. I found this kid in the food section over there, and she said she was looking for her unnie. I think she's lost. Do you mind making an announcement?" Sehun asked, looking down at the kid.

"Of course, sir. " the lady nodded, and prepared to make an announcement.

Sehun bent down to the child's height, "What's your name? Maybe I should tell them that too."

"Zhang Jiyeon...But most people call me Sophie." she replied.

Sehun smiled, "Alright, Sophie."

After the announcement was made, Sehun waited until the Sophie's guardian arrived.

When he glanced to the right, Sehun saw someone coming. She was familiar.

Hana ran quick to Sophie, "Sophie! I've been looking everywhe--"

Her gaze went to Sehun. Things got tense. She almost dropped her paperbag.

"This ahjussi found you?" Hana asked Sophie, firmly holding her hand. Sophie nodded, "Yes, he even walked me to the cashier and asked for help."

"Ahjussi? Have you run out of things to call me, Hana?  " Sehun replied, crossing his arms over his broad chest.

Sophie turned her head back and forth at the two adults, "Unnie, you know each other?"

Hana sighed, "Yes, Sophie."

"What no words of gratitude?" Sehun said, shaking his head.

Hana coughed, "Sure. Thank you, ahjussi... Sophie, please thank that ahjussi over there."

Sophie obliged, "Thank you, ahjussi."

"It's not ahjussi, Hana. Sophie, call me Sehun."

"Alright, Sehun oppa." Sophie replied.

Hana slumped her shoulders, "Whatever. Sophie, Let's go? We're gonna buy bread, right?"

"Yes, unnie!" Sophie chirped.

Hana turned away from Sehun and walked hand-in-hand with Sophie.

"Hey, Sophie!" Sehun called out. Hana stopped walking as well.

Sophie glanced back to see him, he was walking towards them.

"You forgot the unicorn." Sehun said, leveling down and handed Sophie a shopping bag.

"You got me the toy?! Oh, thank you, oppa!" Sophie replied, taking the bag.

Meanwhile, Hana just stood there watching them.

Sehun looked up at her and grinned. When Hana rolled her eyes, Sehun laughed then patted Sophie's head, "Goodbye Sophie. I won't forget your funny jokes a while ago."

Sophie chuckled, "Bye oppa, I'm really happy about the toy."

Sehun stood up, "Goodbye Hana-ssi. See you when I see you." He made a salute gesture and walked away.

Hana pressed her lips together. Hopefully, they'd never see each other again...

"Unnie, are you okay? You're turning a bit red." Sophie said.

"Um, of course I'm okay. Why wouldn't I be?" Hana replied, forcing a smile.

"Hm, wasn't the handsome oppa your friend?" Sophie asked.

Hana sighed, and muttered, "Ex-friend."

"What was that unnie? I didn't hear you." Sophie said. Hana stood straighter, and changed the subject "Nothing, Sophie. Let's go get that bread, I heard they're freshly baked today!" she cheered.

"Oh wow. Yay!" Sophie cheered along, skipping a they walked.

Hana opened her phone, and saw a text from Yi Lin again.

Y: Hey, why aren't you replying?

Hana quickly tapped a reply:

H: Sorry. Things are good. But you'l never believe who I just saw today.

Hana turned around, checking if Sehun was still around..

He wasn't, and it was a relief.