Lunch

Day By Day

It was a usual Wednesday at Yixing's office, he was casually sitting on his desk chair, browsing through the portfolio of a new motorworks project. He clearly remembered how Kim Jongin, his main business partner, urged him to scan the project idea, of course, it would only commence upon his approval. Photos of complicated engine wirings, shiny metals eventually tired out his eyes. He took off his glasses, and turned around to see the view from his window. He let his thoughts run for a while, and it usually be centered on his daughter, Sophie.

After a while, someone walked into his office. And due to lack of knocking, it would only mean one person: Kai.

"Hyung." Kai greeted, as Lay turned around to see him. Jongin was his usual self today, smiling and dressed half-corporately. Lay smiled back at him, "I'm not surprised about you barging in, what's up?" he asked.

Kai pointed at the portfolio, "Are you done reviewing it yet?"

Lay shook his head, "Just a few more pages." Kai placed his hands in his pockets, "How is it, though?"

"So far, so good. I'm strongly considering it." Lay replied, and Kai nodded, "Great then, if you're finished with it, inform me so I can view it as well." Yixing glanced at him, "You mean, you haven't read it yet?"

Kai grinned, "The main boss should always be first, right?" Lay laughed, "I can't see why I wasn't aware of that."

"Hey hyung, why aren't you out for break yet? It's pass noon. " Kai reminded, and that's when Lay felt a slight rumble from his stomach. He skipped breakfast, and his stomach is probably mad at him.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot about it..."

"Funny hyung. Go eat, it's not good to skip meals." Kai said.

"Right, I'll get going then... Have you eaten?" Lay asked before he picked up his coat.

"Yeah, I went to have lunch early today. More like a brunch actually..." Kai replied as they walked out of Lay's office. "I see, I'll go ahead then." Yixing responded, patting Kai's shoulder.

"Sure, hyung. I'll just stay at my office if you need me." Kai waved at him. Lay nodded.

Yixing walked swiftly. His subordinates greeting him as he crossed paths with them. Of course he smiled back at them, that's what his employees liked about him. He wasn't scary to approach despite his high corporate position.

The office lobby was less crowded, and once again the female receptionists greeted him. He slightly bowed at them. Once he exited the building, Lay planned on what he wanted for lunch, of course coffee was one of his staples. And then he remembered the bakeshop that sells one of Sophie's favorites...

Lay began walking towards that direction. Moments later, his phone began ringing. He checked it and saw Yi Lin's name pop on the screen.

"Yes, Yi Lin?" he said, as he picked up.

"Oppa! What time is Sophie's dismissal today?" Yi Lin asked.

"Ah, making sure you won't forget again..." Lay replied, amused.

"Ha.ha. No seriously, what time?" Yi Lin persisted. Lay checked his watch, "Around 3 P.M., don't let my daughter wait too long, okay?"

"Yes, oppa. I'll even be there 15 minutes early." Yi Lin replied, Lay chuckled, "Okay, whatever's good on your terms. Take care."

"Alright, oppa. Bye!"

"Bye."

Minutes later, Lay reached the bakeshop. The sound of a bell rang, when he opened the shop's door.

"Annyeong!"

A kind-looking cashier greeted as Lay entered, the bakeshop was a self-service type, so he picked up a clean tray and tongs. As he spots on looking for something to eat, as well as something to give Sophie, his peripheral vision caught a glimpse of another customer, but she was less taller than him so he didn't really focus on her face.

Picking up five pastries, Lay headed to the counter. The male cashier happily approached, "Is this all,sir?"

"Yeah, and one..." Lay viewed the display menu, "Hot Americano."

"Okay, I'll get that for you.the cashier left, and quickly made a cup of coffee. Upon returning, he started to compute the price of Lay's purchases.

"That would be 10,000 Won."

Lay nodded, and immediately searched for his wallet. He ran his hands over his coat and checked his pockets. He started to feel a bit of panic. He looked at the cashier, who was now staring at him. He shyly smiled, "Just a sec..." He continued to look, but it's really not with him.

Lay sighed, opting to cancel his purchase. Until a lady behind him stepped forward and handed money to the cashier.

"Here."

Lay glanced on the girl, she seemed nice. Her dark hair fell aa little bit over shoulder, she had a petite frame, and she was dressed casually, but still quite formal. 

Yumi was a stranger to him.

The cashier guy looked back at Lay, as if confirming if he should accept it.

"Just take it." Yumi said, and the man took the money. Lay scratched his head, he wasn't used to allowing other people to pay for him. He took the paper bag and the coffee cup. The girl stepped forward to pay for her own purchases.

Lay waited for her, and when she finished he immediately spoke, "I'm sorry, miss. I promise to pa--"

Yumi chuckled, raising a hand to stop him, "It's fine." Lay liked the sound of her laugh, "Really?"

"Yes. Really... I guess I should go."

Lay blocked the door, "Uh wait, you're not out for lunch?"

She looked at him, a bit wide-eyed. Yumi tucked a hair behind her ear. "I am. But you're blocking my way."

Lay laughed, but not moving away, "May I join you?" Yumi chuckled as well, "Umm, sure? I guess that's okay..."

Yixing opened the door for her, and they went out to the sidewalk. "Where are you eating that?" he asked.

"I actually wanted to visit the park..."

"Sounds great." he replied, "It's not too far."

They walked in silence, Yumi found it awkward to walk with a stranger... Especially with a good-looking stranger. He was tall, and his outfit was perfect for a high-end corporate office.

Lay's phone beeped, and he took it out from his pocket.

"So you left your wallet, but remembered to bring your phone..." Yumi said, pointing at his phone.

"Yeah, I don't really know how it happened. I must have left it in my office..." Lay explained, "Isn't that the park?" he asked, finally getting a view of the place. He began drinking his coffee.

"Yes, ah, isn't it nice? Cherry blossoms everywhere..." Yumi said, taking in a breath of fresh air.

Lay smiled at her, appreciating her amazed expression "I agree."

"I saw an empty bench over there. It's got a nice shade." Yumi suggested. Yixing simply walked along with her.

They sat, and Lay started to pick out his bread from the paper bag. "Wow, you bought a lot..." Yumi noticed. He glanced up, "I can give you some, you paid for this anyway..."

Yumi shook her head, "Nah, this is enough for me." she raised the classic roll and began eating. Meanwhile, Lay picked something with the red bean filling.

 Lay cleared , "I still need to pay you, though..." Yumi darted her eyes to his, "I said, it's okay." He frowned, "I'll find a way, miss." She raised an eyebrow then chuckled, "Miss? Does the formality come with that outfit?"

Yixing looked down at his clothes, he grinned, "Why yes it does."

She offered her hand, she looked into his eyes and for some reason they were familiar,  "Just call me Yumi."

"Lay." replied, taking her hand and shaking it. "By call, you mean I should get your number too, right?"

Yumi took her hand away, "Wow, he is so smooth!" She laughed, and he joined her "What? I said I'll find a way to find you..." Lay said, taking out his phone. Yumi sighed, but complied, "Let me type it." He handed his phone. After entering her number, she handed it back to him. Lay went to his phone book, and saw her name, he proceeded to call it.

Her phone rang, and she stared at him. "Just checking." Lay said, hiding his smile. After that they ate and talked about a few things, except personal stuff and where they worked. In fact, the conversation was so random that they even talked about the funny eyebrows of the cashier guy at the bakery. Despite just getting to know each other, Yumi's presence was warm to Lay.

Yumi checked the time, "I have to go... My break's almost over."

Lay took another long look at her, remembering her face, then he nodded, "We should get going then." They stood and Lay picked up the paper bag from the bench.

"Goodbye, Mr. Lay." Yumi said as they stood face-to-face.

Lay smirked, "Goodbye, Ms. Yumi." They shook hands again. "My way is over there..." Yumi said, pointing forward.

"Ah, my way is the opposite." Lay answered. Yumi nodded, and began to walk, she bumped his shoulder a bit. When Lay turned, she gave him a last smile.

In his head, Lay thought: I'll see you again.

***

Lay arrived around 8 P.M. at his house. He found Sophie, sitting on the living room carpet and doing her homework on the center table.

"Princess..." he greeted, when Sophie looked at him he raised the paper bag of bread.

"Appa! You bought me strawbewy bread?" Sophie said, rushing to hug him.

"Why yes, it's your favorite, isn't it?" Lay replied, lowering down to Sophie's level.

Suddenly, Yi Lin came out with a glass of water for Sophie. She saw Lay handing Sophie a piece of bread, she smiled at them. "Oppa, welcome home. You seem happy."

Lay stood up, and he let Sophie get back to her homework. "Am I?" Yi Lin playfully raised a brow, "There's a weird spark in your eyes. Is there something that I should know?"

He shrugged and laughed at his sister's comment, "It's just a good day." 

---End Of Chapter---