XI

Stuck with Detective Kim

Daybreak rolled in as your dry mouth moistened with the sweet cold water tricking down your scratchy throat. The bruises and headache were gone, Himchan had selflessly left you feeling at a prime you’d never felt by touching yourself. You mentally noted to thank him properly until the sound of footsteps and chatter made you alert. But it wasn’t the good kind, Himchan’s voice protested as another voice commanded for men to search the house thoroughly.

Your instincts kicked in.

Hide

Quickly grabbing your hair into firm bun, you looked around quickly for a good place to hide fast. Carefully lifting the mattress to pull out three wooden supports for the mattress. Stepping into the space you had created, you crouched carefully to lie on the ground as the mattress fell softly back into place. Moving silently within the rather low bed frame’s empty cavity, you carefully guided yourself in between the frame and a long wooden piece placed to support the mattress. Blood pumped through your veins as you tried to calm yourself when footsteps approached upstairs. Your hands firmly gripped the wooden planks under the mattress as your feet fastidiously positioned themselves between the planks and the mattress.

The door opened with a bang as men with boots clambered about, the closet emptied and the sheets thrown about haphazardly, the click of a gun didn’t go unheard.

Moving shadows revealed someone get on his knees to peer into the low cavity under the bed. Arms at the ready hoisted you up to hang off the bedframe, out of sight from the cavity in the bed’s decorative wooden panels. You stopped breathing and stilled, even when the dark shadow pulled away. An eerie silence was interrupted when bullets went off at the decorative wooden panel with a deafening boom. Haphazard holes littered the panel, the assailants left when no blood seeped form underneath.

A gunshot sounded downstairs before the thunder of boots to the floor quietened. You waited until the rumble of cars faded to another silence only to hear a familiar detective’s voice calling for you. Pushing the mattress off you stepped out of the cavity shaking in fear, outside the room straight towards the direction of the voice only to gape at the sight of him in the hallway