The Smell Before Rain: Coffee and Rain

The Smell Before Rain

Seattle! It’s good to be home! I let out a lil laugh and smiled as the automatic doors slid apart for me, the air rushing to me smelled soft and fresh. Then I noticed how crazy I must’ve looked smiling to myself. I couldn’t help it though. The atmosphere here is so much different from the hustling and bustling of the loud streets of California. Here, it feels like home. I pulled my luggage out with me, flagging down a taxi. I stood there for a bit, looking for a taxi. It was lightly raining and my jacket was getting damp. I finally spotted a taxi and waved it down.

It pulled up to the curb and as I going to tell the driver to pop the trunk who should’ve already opened it for me and gotten his fat out of the car to help me put my luggage away, someone opened the door and got in. Da hell?

“Hey!” I say. “What are you doing?”

He turned his head towards me and gave me the look. I was taken back a lil. Damn, he’s fine as hell is he rude. “What does it look like I’m doing? I’m going home,” he says, his voice melodious and sweet, even though his words were harsh and obvious. Blargh! Forget his voice and looks; he just stole your cab!

“I got this taxi first,” I tell him, almost pouting. I was this close to stomping my feet like a little kid throwing a tantrum. “Haven’t you ever heard of ladies first?”

“Look, I’ll give you the fare for the taxi. I’m in hurry here,” he says. I was going to refuse his bribe and make him get out of the taxi, but I noticed there were people watching us. Even the taxi driver had his head turned around; his 500 chins squished together and gross looking. Ew >.<

I accepted his bribe. I watched him dig his wallet out of his jeans, noticing the tattoo on his hand that looked like ‘NEW BREAD” as he put his hand out with a bill between his fingers. Wtf… Bread? He shook the bill a little and I snapped back to reality. Before I could inspect the bill and see that it was only a 10

not nearly enough for the fare, he had slammed the door shut and I could see through the window that he was gesturing for the driver to go. THAT BASTARD!

I stood there and watched the wheels spin in a puddle, the water spraying, and then I watched the little droplets of water fly into the air, towards me. And it splashed me. I stood there like a stupid idiot, soaked to the bone and watched the taxi leave.

Afhgkhgdhkdfhgh T__T

I got home around 9, after dinner :c

“Me! Ba!” I called from the front door. “Matt! Rian!” Gahh, I kicked my shoes off and stood there for a little longer, waiting for someone to come to me. Me finally came downstairs, her salt and peppered hair pulled back, revealing her beautiful smooth face.

“Ai-yaaa! Kimmie, why you home so late?” she asks me in her broken English.

“I couldn’t find a cab, and once I did we got lost in the dark,” I told her, stretching my arms above my head making sure I sounded tired and hopefully she’d realize I’m hungry.

“How hard is it to find a cab?” she asked me.

“Some rude guy stole the cab I’d flagged down and apparently the cab company ran out of taxi’s or something,” I tell her.

“Troi oi! Why didn’t you call Matt or Rian to pick you up?”

“Trinh, cut Kimmie some slack. She had long day, love. Kimmie, you hungry?” Ba asks me as he comes downstairs, his old eyes friendly and glimmering. People have told me that I’m fortunate to have Me’s and Ba’s looks, but pshttt. I’m convinced they found me in a basket somewhere Vietnam trolololol. I don’t have Me’s or Ba’s humble traits or modesty.

“I’m starved,” I smile at them. “Where are Rian and Matt?”

“Matt is studying and Rian is probably asleep,” Dad tells me. I nodded at him. Matt’s super hard working. He’s 24 and came back home from Harvard to studying a case. And Rian… Now he’s the exact opposite of Matt. Rian’s 23, a year older than me and he’s living at home. He hasn’t started college.

And not to be a pessimistic person, but I don’t think he’ll ever start.

“Go take a shower, Kimmie. You smell weird,” Me tells me, making me take my wet jacket off. I laugh.

“It’s the coffee and rain smell,” I tell her, making my way downstairs to my room.

“Coffee smell good. You don’t smell good,” she laughs heartily.

I threw my luggage into my room that I haven’t been in for 2 years. Me kept it clean and dust free, which is nice. But I could tell she’d done some snooping o_O Blahhh.

I tip toed to Matt’s room, which was in the same hallways as my room and Rian’s and peeked into his room. His room’s spotless. He was bent over a text book and I decided to have a lil fun. I opened the a bit more and it squeaked. He didn’t noticed though. Then I saw the ear buds in his ears.

I snuck right up behind him, about to put my hands over his eyes but before I could, he whipped his head around and smashed his head into mine.

I throw myself back onto his bed, my hands flying up to my throbbing forehead. “OWWW!”

“KIMCHI!” Matt holds his head in one hand, the other hand pulling out his ear buds. “What were you thinking?!”

I wasn’t -__- “Thanks for the warm welcome home, brah,” I said through clenched teeth. My head was throbbing and I felt so ty.

Matt walked to me and picked me up from the bed and gave me a warming hug. “Sorry, but you’re just so stupid sometimes.”

Blahhh. At least he said ‘sometimes’ instead of ‘all the time’.

“How’s the Harvard study?” I ask him as he took a step back and gave me a look over.

“It’s going good. Looks like Cali’s been doing you good too, huh?” he grins at me. “You lost your baby fat.”

I pouted. He basically just called me fat before I left for Cali -__- “Hm, looks like you’re gaining some,” I . He laughs and shakes his head, taking another step away from me. “Man, I feel like .”

“You smell like it too,” he waves the air in front of him.

“Aha, you’re funny,” I say. “Mom already gave me a lecture on how weird I smell. It’s the wet coffee scent. Imma make it my trademark smell.”

“Oh, you definitely should. It’ll ward off of all the guys,” he grabs my shoulders and ushers me into Rian’s room. “Now, bug your other brother. He’s missed you.”

“I doubt that,” I tell him. Rian was sprawled out on his bed on his tummy, his hand touching the floor. Should I wake him up. I turn to ask Matt but he was already gone. Then I heard his door shut. Should’ve known -__-

Rian rolled over onto his back and I was amazed that he didn’t roll off onto the ground. I decided not to wake him up. I took off my smelly Stanford sweatshirt and draped it over his face and quickly left to the shower.

The hot water felt so nice on my cold skin. I raised my face to the water, the throbbing from colliding my head with Matt was reduced to almost nothing and I was so tempted to just stand under the running water. I used to do that in high school. Just stand under the shower and use all the hot water, so Rian had no hot water LOLOLOL. Hahaha. But yeah, water felt nice. Blahhh that was a whole paragraph about water o.e

Then I could hear Rian yell. “KIMCHI!” I smile to myself, knowing he probably gagged on the sweater’s smell and woke up. He missed me. I know ;)