The Smell Before Rain: Jay's Day

The Smell Before Rain

 

                “What?” I repeat, my voice betraying my seemingly calm facial expression.

                “You’ve contracted a STD. It should be no big deal, Kimberly. HIV can be treated-“

But after that my mind blanked out. STD… Rian gave me a STD? I stared at the poster of the human body on the wall hard, not being able to fully comprehend what the doctor was saying. What if Matt was the doctor diagnosing me right now? Would he want to punch Rian’s face in like I want to right now?

 

Jay’s                       PoV

                I guess I had every right to be worried about her. She even contracted a STD from Rian. God, I hate thinking about it. I can’t stand it any longer.

                Around 8 P.M, I decided to sneak out of the house to visit Rian in prison. Just to talk.

                The guys were still here. It’s been over a month and it seems like the manager let them have a break from touring and they’re recording in my studio -__- I love the boys, I really do. But they’re so goddamn loud and all touchy and there’s more than enough skinship going on between everyone.

                They were watching a movie. Ah, this will be a challenge. I noticed that Wooyoung was already slumped over, leaning on Nichkhun asleep. Chansung and Junho were laying on the ground ,Junsu and Taec were on the couch watching the movie intently.

                KJLhkjhfkdas I changed my mind from sneaking out to just walking out. Maybe they won’t notice. Act natural, Jay.

                “Hyung, where are you going?” Junsu asks me right when I reach the door.

                “Gonna get some fresh air, you know. It’s good to get out,” I tell him.

                “Ah, that sounds good. Mind if I come with you?” he asks me. Junso and Chansung turns their heads to me, waiting for an answer. Gahhh.

                “Aish, I’ll be fine by myself,” I say, watching Junsu get up off the couch. How will I get out of this one?

                “Old men like you need someone to walk with,” he teases me.

                “That’s true hyung! Who will walk you across the street?” Junho exclaimed, laughing. His laughter woke up Wooyoung, who was now rubbing his eyes.

                “Babo-ya!” I laughed. “Junsu-ah, it’s fine. Really, I can go alone.”

                “Enoughhh, hyung,” Junsu says to me. “I know where you’re going.”

                “Where?” I ask.

                “To the club,” he grins at me.

                “Aigo, you were going to go without us?” Taec asks me, his eyes wide. Everyone was starting to look away from the T.V screen and I could tell that I wasn’t going to go anywhere -__-

                “Don’t be stupid. He’s in love with Kimmie,” Nichkhun says.

                “Ah, maybe he’s grown tired of her?” Junsu says, jokingly.

I was starting to get impatient with the bickering.

                “That’s impossible! Have you seen the way Jaebeom looks at the girl? It’s like he’s undressing her with his ey-“

                “Aish! I was going to go to the prison to talk to her brother!” I snap, all of the guys returning their attention back to me.

                “Are you sure that’s a good idea?” Wooyoung asks me.

                “I need to talk to him,” I reply simply.

                “Let me go with you,” Taec says. I eventually agreed because I know the guys wouldn’t let me go alone.

                Growing up in Seattle, I’ve seen a lot of things. And not all of it’s nice and cutesy. It’s funny though, how every time a black guy that sags his pants to his knees walks past us, Taec hides behind me even though I’m shorter than he is. He’s a big teddy bear lol.

                “So where’s the prison at?” he asks me once we get into the car.

                “Ah, it’s not too far from here,” I tell him.

                “What do you plan on saying to him?”

I hesitate. I hadn’t thought of that…

“Don’t tell me you just planned on talking with your fists, hyung,” Taec says with a monotone.

                “Aish, stop asking so many questions. This is why I didn’t want anyone to come,” I say.

                “And this is why one of us had to come,” he says.

                “I wasn’t going to beat him up, Taecyeon. I was just going to ask him a few questions,” I say.

                “Like?”

                “Why he did what he did,” I say simply.

                “Ah,” Taec says.

                “Yeah,” I say, turning into the parking lot of the visitor entrance. I don’t know if they’ll let us see him, but it wouldn’t hurt to try.

 

                Taec and I were sitting at a table in the cafeteria, waiting for the guard to bring Rian out, when I got a call from Kimmie.

                “Hi,” I say. Taec made kissy faces at me and I stuck my tongue out at him.

                “Jay, I’m coming home.”

                And right at that moment I could feel everything falling back into place. “Really?” I say, barely able to contain my excitement. “When?”

                “I’ll be back this Friday,” she tells me. Friday?! That’s still too long to wait! Today’s only Wednesday , I don’t think I can wait that lon- But then I realize something. She’s not as nearly as happy as I am.

                “Babe, is there anything wrong?” I ask her.

                “It’s been a few days since the doctors told me I have a STD,” she says slowly and I could feel my stomach folding itself over and over. I felt like I was going to throw up. I look over at Taec, who sat there with a concerned look on his face. I’m glad I brought a brother with me, now.

                “Yeah,” I say, indicating for her to continue. I hear her take a deep breath and I thought I was going to cry out in frustration.

                “The HIV’s become AIDS…”

                My first reaction was to deny it and think that she was joking. But Kimmie would never joke about this. And then it hit me. I slammed my fist on the table, hard enough that my hand will be all black and blue later. When I see the guard walking Rian out, Taec puts his hand on my shoulder to remind me that if I get in a fight in the prison, I’ll probably be spending the night here.

                “Kimmie, you’ll be okay,” I assured her. I wasn’t sure about it, but I wanted to believe it. “I’ll see you on Friday, okay?”

I could hear her sniffle and holding in a choked sob. I really wished I was there with her to hold her and protect her. But since I wasn’t, I just hoped a friend was with her to comfort her. “I’m right here,” I tell her. “I got you.”
                “I’m okay,” she says. I could tell she was trying so hard to believe in what she was saying. “I’ll be okay. I’ll see you Friday, Jay.”

                “Okay,” I try smiling, even though I felt like crying. People have always assumed that I’m a hard, tough guy. I may be a rock, but I’m not stone. “I love you.”
               

                “Love you too,” she says and she hangs up. Taec’s hand was still on my shoulder. Rian sat down across from us and there was nothing more in the world I wanted to do than smash open his face.

                “Why’d you do it,” I ask him, the tone of my voice dead. I inspected his face. I’ve never gotten the chance to actually look at him close up. He didn’t look anything like Matt or Kimmie. But his face looked familiar.

                “There’s a lot of reasons,” he says.

                “Sir, visiting hours are over by 10,” the guard says.

                “It’s 9:30,” Taec tells me.

                “We got time. What’s the man reason,” I ask Rian, feeling like an investigator.

                “I’m sure you know about how I used to be jealous of Matt and Kimmie, because they were the favorites, because they were the perfect ones. Because everyone loved them and when Ba and Ma were with their old gossipy friends they’d say, ‘Oh, Kimberly and Matthew and Rian are doing great, thank you!’ and the friends would say, ‘You have a second son named Rian?’”

                “What does that have to do with anything…” Taec muttered under his breath.

                “Who are you?” Rian says, eyeing Taec.

                “Don’t change the subject. What does that have to do with anything?” I pushed on.

                “They ruined my life!”

                “And so you go and her?” I ask him, my voice rising.

                “Oh, I see where you’re getting at. I didn’t punish only Kimmie,” Rian lowered his voice and leaned closer to me. “I have a surprise for Matt too.”

                I stare at Rian in terror, knowing exactly what he meant and stood up, knocking my chair to the ground. “GUARD!”

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hoyyy guys. I'm sorry i lied! lol i said I'd upload yesterday but i got busy with hw. and i stayed home from school today to finish it :b plus i felt like sooo it's all good. there's going to be like 3 or 4 more chapters? coming to an end yall :( I hope you liked this chap tho. I worked hard:) comment and subscribe. I was gonna reply to all the comments but I've lost track of whose comments i replied to and whose i haven't, so if you comment on this chapter i'll be sure to write you back:) check out my tumblr? ;)

http://thefluffyricepanda.tumblr.com/