Don't Cry (Alternative Ending)

The Smell Before Rain

 

Matt was standing in front of his frat house, holding a bag of groceries. His hand on the doorknob, his phone started to ring. Matt picked up his phone, the ring seemed to call out more rapid and urgent. "Hellllo?" 
             "Matt where are you?" It was Jay, sounding way too flustered for Matt's taste.
             "Hello to you too," he says sarcastically. "What's wrong?" Matt asks him.
             "Where are you, man?!" He asks him again. Annoyed at Jay"s punctuality, Matt set down his grocery bag to open the door.
             "About to open the door. What's wrong with you?"
             "Matt, stop. Don't open it. Rian planted something in your house. I know it. Just stay away from there, okay?"
Matt's body tensed up, hearing his brother's name, the one he was so close with at one point.
           "Rian. He wouldn't want to hurt me, would he?"
           "Aish. Matt, not this again. Just go stand by your car. We'll be over there as soon as we can!"
Before Matt could ask 'what do you mean 'not this again'?' Jay had hung up. What the hell is going on?
But he obeyed Jay's words and went to stand by his car anyway.
          'Hm, what's that noise,' Matt thought to himself. It was a ticking noise that wasn't supposed to be happening. It was a new car for god's sake. He set the grocery bag down once more near the car and got into it and put the key into the ignition and turned it. The ticking turned into a trickling. 'What the hell,' Matt looked at dashboard, trying to figure out what was wrong with his car when it hit him like brick. 
He jumped out of the car, wishing he'd grab the bag of foods because as soon as he was on the other side of the street the car had burst into flames. The leather seats were engulfed in flames. Oh, the beautiful leather. "I paid extra for that," Matt says to himself, his hands grabbing fistfuls of hair.
Jay and detectives were at the scene not too long later.
         "Damn! You could've died," he gawked at Matt. "You shouldn't have went to your car."
         "Yeah, this is what happens when I listen to you, Jay," Matt says.
         "Funny," Jay says. 
The two men stood there after detectives questions Matt, watching the fire trucks put the car out. Matt sighed, feeling disappointed at the fact that he'd have to go grocery shopping again and that his car was destroyed. No food and no picking up chicks tonight. Silence laced with moments of understanding both the Korean and Vietnamese man knew. This would be Rian's last little game that he would ever play. He was sitting in a prison cell, waiting to hear his fate. Jay hoped he'll never see the light of day again, after what he did to his own sister, to his lover.
       "Is Kimmie okay?" Matt asked the singer, as if he knew he was thinking about her.
       "She's doing great." Jay says.
       "Hey, I know how you're feeling, man. Kimmie's a fighter. She'll be fine."
       "I know," Jay says. But this made him even angrier, the fact that Rian gave her AIDS and that AIDS can't be cured. If he could, he would've killed Rian with his own hands. 
And to be quite honest, he knew Kimmie would be gone one day. He can't deny himself that knowledge. He doesn't know when and where, but he will be there with her everyday they both breathe.

Jay's PoV-  2 years later: a week before Kimmie's graduation

I plopped down by Kimmie, who was sitting with her legs criss-crossed on the sofa. She told me how she loved its black and white color. Classy, is how she described it."Hey babe," I kissed her softly on the lips. She smiled sweetly at me, making my heart hurt a lil. But the feeling quickly washed away when I felt the little box bury into my thigh.
           "Hi."
           "Do you want to go out to eat? Let's celebtate," I kissed her neck, breathing in that sweet scent of hers. Smells like rain. I loved it.
           "I'm tired, babe," she tells me, putting down her notebook. "How about you cook for me? It'd be ten times better than eating out."
          "Aish, don't lie," I chuckled. Homemade would probably be better than eating out, you know. It might not be as fancy, but it's more romantic."Hey, what are you writing?" I eyed her notebook, her messy handwriting scribbled all over the page.
          "Oh, nothing. Part of my graduation speech," she tells me, a secretive look on her beautiful face. Damn, it's been two years together, but she still takes my breath away. Cheesy huh? But it was true. "Hey, are you going to cook or wait till I die from starvation?" I laugh.
         "Fine," I gave her a kiss on her nose, getting up and making sure the box in my pocket isn't too obvious. I doubt that Kimmie'd notice though. Her attention span is that of a goldfish.
About an hour later, much to my surprise there was edible looking food on the table. Kimmie was thrilled. She stood there in a little polka dot dress, staring at the rice, fried pork, and kimchee. That's the most fancy I can cook.
        "This looks great!" She grins at me, her nose crinkling.
        "You look great," I say, making her blush.
        "You don't look too bad yourself," she says shyly, eyeing my button down I had changed into.
       "I never look bad!"
       "Sure." She rolls her eyes. "Let's eat. I'm starving."
We begun to eat and I watched her, infatuated at the way she stuffed with rice and with more rice before she even swallowed.
       "Yah, what are you stating at?"
       "What, I can't stare?"
       "It's creepy," she swallowed.
       "No, it's romantic," I say.
       "You think so?" She asks me.
       "You eat like a pig," I .
       "Hey! I would leave you if it wasn't for all this food," she tells me, a silly smile on her gorgeous lips.
      "No wouldn't. You can never leave me," I say. , why did I say that. She goes quiet, and I knew exactly what she was thinking. That she'll be gone one day and that she will leave me. 
I won't let that happen. I got up and got down on one knee, reaching into my pocket for the lil box.
      "Are you being foreal." Kimmie"s eyes got wide.
      "Shush, don't ruin it," I show her the box and open it. "Kimberly Nguyen. Will you marry me?"
She doesn't say anything for a few seconds and I can feel my blood rush past my ears.
     "You know I won't be here forever, Jay." She says it almost as if she believes she'll be gone tomorrow.
     "You'll be here for a very long time though," I tell her.
     "I'll leave you one day," she says again.
     "So let's be together now."
     "We can never have ," she tries again. Wow, this isn't conventional. Don't people usually say yes as soon as they get asked?
     "I don't care. I love you, Kimmie. And that's all that matters. Will you marry me?" I ask her again.
She has tears in those big brown eyes of hers.
    "You love me that much?"
I nod, starting to feel tears in my eyes. "Hey, promise me you won't cry."
    "Cry?"
    "Yes. Don't cry because of me."
I nod, blinking those tears away.
And then she nodded and murmured a 'yes'. Before she could blink, I had my arms around her, pulled in a tight embrace. If I could, I would never ever let go.

 

 

            At Graduation

            I watched her nearly fly up towards that podium, everyone cheering and clapping. The guys were right by my side and I felt embarrassed to let them see my cry. But I was so happy. After all she’s been through, here we are today. We watched as Kimmie accepted her diploma, a big beautiful smile plastered on her face.

            “I’d like to thank everyone for today. I know this might seem cliché, but without you I wouldn’t be standing here. It’s been a long and tiring 4 years. Meeting new people and being with the ones I love has made it less tiring, though...”

            I begun to half-heartedly listen to her speech because Taec was crying next to me. “Aish, why are you crying?”

            “Yah, don’t tell me you’re not crying either,” Junsu defended him.

            “Shh,” someone from behind us shushed us.

            “Sorry,” I apologized.

            “I’m so glad she’s graduating. Now you two can get married and live happily ever after,” Taec wiped away his tears. He’s the biggest softie I know.

            “Happily ever after? Is that real?” Junsu whispered.

            “Yeah, it is. Watch, I’ll prove it,” I grin at him and he squeezed my shoulder.

 

           

 

 

Kimmie’s PoV

            After the speech, Me and Ba took everyone out for dinner, which was really nice of them except they had to pay for it. Chansung and Wooyoung would not stop eating, those fatties. The whole entire time, I was watching Jay enjoy himself. God, how I love him. I still feel sentimental about the fact I won’t be here with him one day. But as for now, we’ll live happily!

            When we got back home, Jay had to help the guys bring their stuff upstairs. I went directly to my notebook and tore the page out and folded it into a little square. Hm, I need a place to hide this. His music studio would be prefect! It’s so messy and unorganized, with music strewn everywhere. I quickly stowed it in a glass jar he kept filled with Skittles, his favorite candy. Maybe one day, when he finishes all of it, he’ll find the letter.

            I hear the front door open and went back out to watch the guys carry bags and bags of clothes. “Why do you have so many things? I thought you were going to stay for the weekend?” I ask them.

            “I thought so too,” Junho mumbled, lugging his bag behind him.

            “Well, we’re actually going to be staying here for a w-“

            “Nichkhun-ssi! Want to help me?” Jay calls from the hallway.

            “Huh?” the thai prince says, confused. “You got muscles. Carry it yourself. Anyway, Jay hyung is going to take yo-“

            “NICHKHUN. COME HERE,” Jay says and I stare at Khun, waiting for him to tell me where Jay plans on taking me.

            Nichkhun holds up a finger and I nod, watching as he went down the hallway to Jay.

            “Do you guys know where Jay’s taking me?”

            “Honeymoon,” Wooyoung says while unpacking his bag. Oh my goddddd! Honeymoon?! I mentally do flips.

            “But we’re not married yet. And I-“

Before I could finish what I was going to say, I felt a hand around my wrist that begun to pull me outside and onto the street below.

            “God damn, those boys are so stupid!” Jay sighs. I laugh.

            “But you love them,” I say.

            “Yeah, but not like I love you,” he seals my lips with his. His lips so soft and sweet, I thought I was going to melt.

            “Hey,” I used all my willpower to pull away. “What ‘honeymoon’?”

            “They told you?!” Jay stares at me with wide eyes. I smile at him. “I was going to take you to France for 2 weeks. Because you took French in high school.”

            “That’s it? Because I took French in high school?”

            “No, because we’re going to get married there,” he grins at me. I could feel my insides soar!

            “What about my family and the guys?”  I ask.

            “They’ll come the 2nd week we’re there,” he says again.

            “What will we do there the 1st week?”

            “Everything.”

            “When are we going?”

            “Aish, Kimmie you ask too many questions,” he tells me and shuts me up with his lips once more and I let him. I don’t pull away.

 

 

 

            40 Years Later

            Kimmie and I lived together happily married for 40 years. Those 40 years were better than my first 20. We moved to a roomy house just outside of Seattle when we got back from France. I had to clean my studio and move everything to the house.  The older I got, the less music I wrote. So I converted the studio into a study.

            It’s been about a year since Kimmie died. I still miss her, though. I cry sometimes when I get up in the morning to see that the bed’s only being occupied by me. You know what's kind of beautiful? In French, you don’t really say “I miss you.” You say “tu me manques,” which is closer to “you are missing from me.”
I love that. “You are missing from me.” You are a part of me, you are essential to my being. You are like a limb, or an organ, or blood. I cannot function without you. I learned that from Kimmie.

            “Grampa!”

            I turn around to see Teddy, my grandkid. I smile big at him. “Teddy! Come here!” I open my arms and he runs into me.

            “Hi, Dad.” I look up to see my son, Ryan. We adopted him from China about 5 years after we married. Kimmie named him. At first, ‘Ryan’ bothered me, because it was pronounced the same as ‘Rian’. But I loved our Ryan, so I got over it.

            “Hey, Ryan,” I got up, holding little Teddy in one arm and used the other to ruffle my son’s hair.

            “Grampa, I want candy!” the little bright-eyed child says.

            “Ryan, go grab some from the study room, will you? It’s in that big jar.”

            “Yeah, I know that jar,” Ryan smiles softly and goes to get it. He comes back out with it and I nearly face palm myself.

            “Oh god, that candy is at least 40 years old. Throw it out,” I say.

            “Wait, so I’ve been eating candy that was older than I am my whole childhood?” Ryan stared at me with wide eyes. I laugh. Teddy reached out his arms, closing and opening his palms.

            “No, Teddy. This candy is icky,” I tell him.

            Ryan went to throw away the candy while I played with Teddy.

            “Daddd!” Ryan called for me.

            “Yeah?”

            “Isn’t this in Mom’s handwriting?”

            What? I quickly but gently took Teddy’s little hand and lead him to the kitchen, where Ryan was dumping the candy. I spot a yellowed square of paper, with Kimmie’s messy handwriting scrawled on it.

            I took it from him and opened it, my heart racing fast for an old man.

Dear Jay,
If you're reading this I'm probably gone or you're snooping again lol. Yah, I don't want you to cry because of me. I can hear you in the kitchen making kimchee and rice. I told you this is much better than going out to eat expensive food somewhere. It’s better because you made it with yourself. And I love anything that’s yours and I love you. I love the music you write, I love your voice, I love your tattoos. I love your laugh, your smile. Am I being too punctual? I am aren’t I? This is why I major in math and not language composition :b I feel so tired today. So I thought I’d write you. I’ll be gone soon. I can feel it. I’m sorry for having to leave you. Physically, I’ll be gone. But I’ll always be with you, as cheesy as that sounds. Keep writing music, keep making music, and move on, okay? Don’t suffer because of me. I want you to be happy. Forgive Rian, even if you hate him with every fiber of your being. You can’t get forget until you forgive.

I’ll be okay. I’m worried about you though, Jay Park.

Move on, but please don’t forget me. Whenever it rains and you’re in a café, I hope that that will remind you of me, because I’ve always thought that that was our little thing. Rain and coffee. You know, the Seattle smell. The smell before rain.

I’ll love you forever

            Kimmie <3

 

            I smiled, tears b my eyes. She wrote this the night I proposed to her.

Aish, babo Kimmie. How could I ever forget about you?

            “Grampa?”

            “Yes?”

            “Let’s go buy candy,” Teddy smiles at me. I fold the paper back into a square and put it into my pocket, wiping away the tears that threaten to fall out. I won’t cry, anymore. I promise.

            “Here, Dad. I’ll drive,” Ryan offers and I nod, still smiling.

            In the car, Ryan suddenly spoke up. “I miss her Dad.”

            “I do too, Ryan.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heyy. Sorry i took so long to update! School ends in 4 days, and i have a load of things to study for like dammnn lol. Anyway, I hope you liked this ending. i thought it was kinda cheesy and cliche, so sorry about that! It's a lot happier than the other one, tho :3 please comment! thank you<3