I Remember Now

Haunted

When Kibum opened his eyes, he swore he would be looking at his mother and grandmother, them both telling him that he had finally got time to see them. But no, instead he opened his eyes to his brother. Taemin was breathing heavily and his eyes were all red, 'Tae...' Kibum reached out, but the younger man moved away and it broke his heart a little. 'Tae?' Taemin shook his head and he went, 'I ask one thing of you. I ask you stay in the apartment, just one thing AND YOU GO AND DO THE OPPOSITE?!' Kibum had never heard his brother shout before-unless he was really pissed off. And right now, with his tears and red face he was both pissed off and hurt. 'I..I'm sorry.' Kibum said lamely and Taemin sank back onto the bed saying, 'I told you I couldn't nearly lose you again. Do you have any idea how scared I have been, sitting here? Or how scared I was when I called you at the house and there was no answer? Or when I get a call from this place...only to tell me my brother collasped?'

'I...Taemin-' The boy held up a hand, silencing Kibum and he just said, 'I don't want to hear it. I don't want some stupid apology. You broke a promise. I want to know why. Was it because of him?' Kibum didn't need to ask who it was Taemin was asking about, and in shame he nodded, feeling tears of his own running down his face. 'Well. I hope you're really happy now. Because I am done.' Taemin made for the door, Kibum tried to move but his stupid IV stopped him so he called out, 'No Taemin! Don't leave. I'm sorry.' His voice cracked on the last word, and he realised then how stupid and dumb he was. He nearly put himself back into a coma and for what? The idea of someone who probably had no interest in him? Just saw him as another patient file? No. That was not worth losing Taemin, the only family he had left. 'Taemin. Please don't leave. I went on a fools errand ok, I screwed up and I'm sorry.' He pushed the blankets off, swung his legs around and pulled out the IV which hurt but he didn't care. 'You did so much for me, when I was gone. You carried it all and I am so grateful; I know how you came here everyday and made sure I was never alone.'

He stood up, walking over to his brother and wrapping his arms around him. 'You mean more to me, than anyone else. I promise. I swear on my own stupid life.' Taemin was still for a few seconds and then his little hand covered Kibums. 'You are stupid. But I love you hyung...' He leaned into Kibum, who held his brother close. 'I love you too Tae.'

 

 

After that day, Kibum kept his promise to his brother. He didn't see that doctor again, he left the hospital with Taemin and went back to own life. Jinki did the same, moving out of Kibums place and into another, closer to work. Neither one ever forgot about the other. Sometimes, Kibum would see a flower and be reminded of a certain smile or Jinki would see a flash of bright colours and be reminded of someone lighter than life. The doctor would hear girls giggling over Kibums last Instagram picture and he would smile; let them gush over him. He deserved it; Kibum was special.

But then again, he hardly knew him at all. He had no idea of his real self, his likes and his dislikes. He read of him obviously, everyone had. But he had no idea of the real Kibum underneath the celebrity. He missed him. Kibum missed Jinki.

Six months passed. They went about their lives and didn't see each other. Until one day, Kibum and Taemin, stopped by a cafe loaded with files and Kibums laptop. They were bickering over photos and cover ideas-Taemin wanted the more sutle look where Kibum wanted to go full out. 'Need I remind you, brother I am creative director. I do think I know whats best.' Taemin rolled his eyes and he went, 'And need I remind YOU, that I held down that fort while you were pulling a Sleeping Beauty!' They set down all their stuff and then Taemins phone buzzed. And when he looked at it, his jaw all but hit the floor. 'Oh my god.' Kibum looked over at him and he went, 'What? What is it? Did something happen?' Taemin showed Kibum the phone and it was a text from...'Choi Minho? Who is that?' It was a message saying 'I really miss us hanging out. Work has been murder, but I can make it up to you. Come and meet us tonight at the new resturant opening. Bring your brother.' Kibum handed the phone back and he went, 'Who is that?' Taemins face went bright red and he went, 'Um...just someone I've been...sort of dating.'

'Sort of dating?! The hell you mean sort of?' Kibum placed his well manicured hands on his hips and Taemin shurgged, 'Well, it was after you had your accident he asked me out and...well we went for coffee once. Then you woke up and we put it on hold, then a few months ago he called me and we started again. He's nice.' Kibum narrowed his eyes and he went, 'Well. You think you know a guy.' But he was happy for Taemin, so he said, 'Well then fine. Date the guy, but do not be all lovey dovey around me, that is saved for closed doors.' Taemin stuck out his tongue and then they got on with their work.

Later that night, Kibum was being dragged to a resturant opening being the damn third wheel for the first time in his life while his brother had a man to entertain. 'Come on, stop pouting. This is gonna be a nice night, and Minho offered to pay!' Kibum rolled his eyes, fixing his suit-black, silk shirt, very sutle and he said, 'Oh please, he will pay for you and then I'll be stuck with-' He was cut off, when he saw two men coming towards them: one was tall, broad shouldered and approached Taemin with a sweet kiss. The other...the other was slightly shorter, but had a sweet smile and beautiful warm eyes.

'Oh my god...' Jinki stood in front of him wearing a suit from three seasons ago but he looked perfect. 'Wow...' The older man shuffled on his feet and he went, 'Wow indeed. It's been...a long time.' Kibum stood there speechless and then he smiled, 'Too long old man. Too long...'