Golden Boys

My Life!

Golden Boys.

 

The following weeks gave me some insight in the academy's system. Apparently, there existed some kind of hierarchy under the students – or attendees as Ryeowook insisted I should describe us. Less school reminding, his explanation. Whatever. My room mate was strange. Back to the topic. At the top were those who've made a name for themselves outside the academy walls. The dance group Unity for example. Or a group based on hip hop, Bigbang. They were respected widely. I saw them once and I thought they were intimidating. I hoped I wouldn't ever have to meet them personally. I'd be scared to hell. Especially the leader. He gave off the vibe of a killer. One wrong move and goodbye to life. That's what Ryeowook said, not me. Not that one should trust his judgement – he was a scaredy cat. I just got along cause of the flow. There were also single person who enjoy popularity and special treatment. Jaejoong told me from the writing section two famous authors attended the academy and were flooded with requests for stage plays as well as cooperation regarding the science department. Apparently, those writers liked to use the science theme and therefore asked students from the science department for some knowledge. As long as they didn't ask me. I hated those kind of people. Interviews were never one of my good points.

The cooking section got their own worth in what seemed like the annual honour ceremony. The best cooks prepared the diner which – according to both Ryeowook and Jaejoong – was something you shouldn't miss. Even the best restaurants looked old against it.

You may have noticed I got a handful of information. Attaining them was easy if you use your smartness and social connections. Believe me, it had its advantages to be acquainted with someone who's father was a sponsor for this mental hospital. Even if the person itself fell too many times on his head when young. Still don't know who I mean? I'm talking about Jaejoong. Idiots. Who else would I know here in my few weeks of attending? Freaky Horse wasn't one I 'd talk to alone. I needed Ryeowook with me, else I'd ran away. And my room mate didn't have much time to spent; something about a meal curse he had to finish in the next week. Well, his own fault for being a cooking student. Let's not dwell on that. I already made my point about his occupation before.

Deep in thoughts it was bound to happen that I walked into someone. The phrase 'you should look out where you walking' is definitely getting old when you're me. I run into people a lot. Much to the amusement of my best friend. I bet Heechul directs me in positions so I bump into people and get scolded at. Just so he gets the time of his life. Arsehole. Love him nonetheless.

To my surprise the victim of my spacing out habit didn't utter a word. No, this person took to other measures: staring me down. Did his eyebrow twitch in annoyance? I couldn't tell, his whole face was contorted in a frown. Though I was convinced it wasn't because of our meeting. He had a phone attached to his ear soi guess his displeasure was aimed at the person on the other end of the line. He merely glanced at me and bowed his head in apology. I was baffled. Wasn't I the one who bumped into him? I should be the one apologising. After all, I was a guy with manners. Just when I opened my mouth the other growled, “Listen, I don't have time for this , okay? My group has a performance in two days and we have to do the finishing touches. Don't bother me with petty things. Bye.”

Lovers quarrel? He certainly had the aura to draw people in. Oh, I haven't described him for you yet, have I? Don't go crazy on me, I'll start –

Kyuhyun!”

Or not.

Ah, Ryeowook. What was my lovely room mate doing here? He was awfully friendly these days. Need an explanation? Thought so. Let me tell you, the silk pyjama accident (still give me the creeps) kinda destroyed all walls creating the distance people who haven't known each other for long normally have to conquer. Of course, our good night talks were a heavy factor one had to include. As you may put two and two together by now if you aren't heavenly mentally challenged – believe me, I me to many people of that sort – Ryeowook finally knows about my wonderful relationship with Shim jerk Changmin. He hasn't made an appearance in a while and if I'm honest I prefer it that way. At the beginning I was actually scared I'll run into him numerous times but for now I haven't seen him as much as I thought. And when I did it was just a glimpse of him walking somewhere, talking with people or eating (not a sight I wanna see ever again). Seriously, that jerk has to have a eating disorder or something. Urgh, why am I talking so much about him? Back to the important part. I told Ryeowook what happened in my old school with that jerk. That he was shocked was an understatement. I expected him to screech or stare horrified at me but no. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd started acting hostile around me or avoided me in public. Instead of the stereotype reactions he was fixed on running in the jerk's door and punching the living daylights out of him.

What a great room mate and loyal friend. Yes, after that night I considered Ryeowook my friend. In the past I've always been careful with choosing who should stay close to me. Beside Heechul I had another person I considered friend until he turned his back when I'd been emotional unstable and only Heechul was able to bring me back. So, yeah, it's a huge step for me to call another person friend. Ryeowook cried, bawling his eyes out and sobbing how glad he was I considered him a friend and that he was happy and so on and on. It was kinda embarrassing, though I felt happy, too. Who knew it was that much fun to let another person beside my best friend close? I just had the feeling Ryeowook would never betray me. He came off as the type who gladly took the knife destined for you.

Kyuhyun, are you daydreaming?”

I snapped out of my thoughts. “Huh?” Yep, very intelligent.

Ryeowook clicked his tongue, hands on his hips. Oh, someone was annoyed. “It's rude to ignore someone, y'know?”

Then why are you ignoring me?” someone else asked. Ryeowook's head snapped to his left. Ah, right, the guy I bumped into. He was still here? What happened next was hilarious (for me). My room mate breathed in sharp, eyes growing bigger and bigger – I was afraid they'd fall out any moment – and took three tentative steps back. “S-Sunb-bae,” he stuttered. I could literally hear the fear drip from that one word. In milliseconds my overly scared room mate hid behind me and abused me as his human shield. Maybe I should reconsider our friendship...

Don't point fingers at others when you ain't better,” the apparently 'sunbae' lectured us. I felt misjudged. Why do I have to listen to a lecture? I didn't anything wrong! Knocking other people over is a folks phenomenon, so you know. I glared at the other and noticed only now that he wasn't taller. In fact it looked like he was shorter than me. Hehe, what a nice observation. You feel already safer when your opponent is smaller. No offence to dwarfs. They got other qualities. Just watch Snow White and you'll get what I mean.

Anyway, keep in mind what I told you,” the scary dude said. Ryeowook apologised and bowed repeatedly till the other left. What he said? It wasn't that much was it...?

Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook whined and hit me. I cried out and rubbed my arm. I sent him my deepest-pits-of-hell-glare. To my delight he shrunk away. Hah, see that? There are people who fear my gaze. The practice was worth it. “I can't believe you disrespected someone older and more experienced like that. And Bigbang's leader on top!”

A light bulb blinked over my head. “Ah, so that was GDragon,” I concluded. Ryeowook turned to me. “What is with that reaction? Aren't you afraid? That's Bigbang's leader! They're all intimidating but their leader is the most scary. I heard he killed someone before! And haven't you acknowledged yourself they don't look friendly.”

Well, uh...”

My room mate shook his head and mumbled something about not being able to believe I didn't bat an eyelash. So you may realised I was kidding. Bigbang didn't scare me one bit. Actually, I found it amusing to see others cower in front of them or when they swept past. Man, human kind was a frightful bunch.

Whatever,” Ryeowook exclaimed and grabbed the innocent me and dragged me towards the Wide Hall – haven't come up with a good name – and placed me down on a bench and gave food for me to eat. Ah, who am I kidding? That's just my imagination cause in the middle of our walk we'd been stopped by my maths professor. He requested for me to help set up a new section in the library. Emphasis on me. Ryeowook had been dismissed and I've been taken away to the unforgiving place of food denial. Yes, I was hungry. Got a problem with that? Oh how I wished I refused my professor. What came next was something that happened only in TV, not in real life. Sadly, my life seemed to have turned into exactly that; a teenager soap. So here is what happened:

Too-good-for-this-world-me followed diligently my professor's instructions and started to empty out the shelves that contained books with topics written five decades ago. The librarian said they'll be moved in the archive for cautionary measures. They were old so sooner or later they'd fall apart. While too-good-for-this-world-me worked to put the books on the lower shelves in the box a visitor came to drag me out of this monotonous work. He asked if I needed help and fast thinking me agreed immediately. The chance I get the books on the higher ends are close to zero so I could use a tall person. Sadly, I haven't exactly watched who my Samaritan was and when I finally did it was too late. A couple of female heads appeared around us and broke the peaceful silence demanded in a library.

He talked to Yunho!” one screeched.

He wasn't on his knees showing his respect!” another shouted. Seriously?

He made him do labour work!” the third one shouted. Excuse me, I didn't request for anyone helping me set up the whole new music section in the library. None of those crazy girls seemed to find interest my protests though as they sent daggers at me and made an attempt to hold me down. Oh no, I'm smart enough to see signs of murder when I see it. Time to go.

I ran as fast as I could, the horde of screeching girls behind me like a death omen. Man, they must've been real evils in their past lives. And how the hell was I supposed to know Jung Yunho had a freaking fanclub? If I had known I'd refused his help. Now that I think about it the library usually wasn't that full, especially with giggling girls. Urgh, my observation skills must've left me at that time for much needed vacation.

I made a sharp beeline at the next corner and dashed into the next room, hoping the crazy evils just ran past. I should've known my luck wasn't good today. My eyes widened at the smirking girls invading my space. Oh my god, that was it. I was dead meat. They'll chop me up and feed me to hungry animals or worse, mix me with the rest of the kitchen's food and Ryeowook's gonna eat me without knowing.

What's the commotion here?” someone asked. My eyes brimmed with grateful tears. My saviour, once again.

The evils jerked around to the newcomer. If their bloodlust aura could get even more murderous, here it did. “Kim Jaejoong,”one growled. It was the girl who started the whole thing. Must be some sort of captain. “How dare you show your face in front of us, you piece of trash?”

Oh, my. She woke up on the wrong side of her bed.

Jaejoong frowned. “I appreciate it if you wouldn't talk like that, Satsuki-chan. It doesn't suit a girl.”

The captain of the evils – Satsuki-chan – bared her teeth. “Don't taint my name, traitor! Go away! This has nothing to do with you.”

Wow, she really got a foul mouth. And traitor? My curiosity was piqued. I glanced at Jaejoong who's expression hadn't changed. “It has everything to do with me. First, he's my friend. Therefore I'm concerned about his safety with you all.”

Satsuki-chan snorted. I may drop the 'chan'. She wasn't very cute. “Friend? You don't know what that means, traitor! If not because of you Yunho could have been a star in the real world already!” I was sure I saw a touch of sadness in his eyes. But then it vanished and the blank mask was on its position. Jaejoong continued as if the evils' captain hadn't interrupted at all, “Second, you should know Yunho hates this sort of behaviour. I'm sure he'll be disappointed if he finds out how you treat sweet innocence.”

The evils flinched as if they had been slapped. With a last look in my direction that promised we still had unfinished business Satsuki-without-the-chan gestured her evil pack to leave. Some of them moved past Jaejoong in a wide arc. Did he carry some sort of disease? Others shoved past him with disgusted looks on her face. Maybe not. Talk about manners. Lastly, the captain stopped in front of him and stared in his eyes. I expected her to set loose another rant. Instead she spit the raven haired in his face and showed him the middle finger. “Piece of trash.” with that and a sneer Satsuki-without-the-chan left as well.

When we were alone Jaejoong wiped his face clean with one of his sleeves. He sighed. “Your luck today is bad.” He waved a magazine in front of my face. “Your horoscope said so.”

I won't ask where the hell that filthy thing came from,” I said dryly. “Moreover, what the hell did that crazy girl mean with 'traitor'? Did you do something? And why did you allow her to spit on you?!”

Jaejoong smiled. “Nothing you need to worry about. It's all in the past.” I knew him well enough by now to recognize the different kind of smiles he presented. There was the polite smile he used on everyone that didn't reach his eyes, the smirk when he planned something (mostly on my costs), the grin when he acted absolutely childish, the happy smile that made his eyes sparkle and the sad one that made the pain in his eyes hard to bear. This one was definitely the polite smile – or fake one, as I prefer. He tried to cover something up. And I was determined to find out. “Just so you know, I don't believe you.”

Jaejoong cocked his head to the side, eyes unreadable. “What are you talking about?”

I clicked my tongue in annoyance. Damn him and his thick skin! Fine, he wanted to play dumb? Play dumb as much as you want. There are enough people in this mental hospital. One of them has to know something about the whole 'traitor' issue. For now there are other informations I needed to obtain. And Jaejoong was exactly the person I considered useful.

Okay, that scary dude and the crazy dance maniac are some sort of kings or what?” I asked Jaejoong when he lead me to safety in the wide park. Who'd guessed there existed fan clubs, too? This academy became more and more ridiculous. My once again saviour chuckled and gestured for me to sit down. Yay, my legs shouted in gratitude. I wasn't used to so much energy draining exercises in a short amount of time.

Though I have no clue who you exactly mean with 'scary dude' and 'crazy dance maniac' I guess, judging from the mob that followed you, you speak of Kwon Jiyong and Jung Yunho,” Jaejoong mused, a twinkle in his eyes.

I gave him a disapproving look. “Don't make fun of me,” I snapped. “It's not a pleasant experience to deal with lunatics! And how was I supposed to know who those two are? Forgive me, a lowly commoner, for daring to look Their Majesties in the eyes!”

Jaejoong grinned at my outburst and ruffled my hair which earned him another glare. My wonderful styled hair. I spent too much time on it. “Okay, let me tell you of Their Majesties,” he teased and made himself comfortable on the soft green grass. “Jung Yunho and Kwon Jiyong enjoy special privileges. They're the golden boys of this academy,” he explained and made a wide gesture. “The headmaster makes sure there's no dirt on their respective groups. He's good at that.”

I remember Ryeowook telling me in a venerated voice that Shim Changmin belonged to the most popular group at their academy. Seemed the bastard that almost me back in my old school relished in the reverence and admiration here, too. On top of that he had to be in what seemed the academy's pride. Was life mocking me or what?

So be careful you don't get on their bad sides. And if Changmin dares to pull a stunt again call me immediately, okay? Changmin may be untouchable to most and can rule as he wish but even he has to listen to Yunho. I'll make sure Yunho protects you. After all, I have some blackmail against him.” The young man's smirk sent shivers down my spine. His warning I should never get on the golden boys' bad side probably applied to him as well. He seemed to be one you shouldn't mess with. The situation back home proved it. I pitied everybody who had to go against him. Nah, beside the director. He was an arsehole for believing stupid idiots instead of his honour student. Che.

The head master seemed to be biased,” I stated. Man, what I would do for one fair person who had power. “Does that mean the rest of their members have the same privileges?” I inquired.

Jaejoong leaned back. “Naturally. It wouldn't be good if only the leaders get fancied and the rest not. No good for the team moral. It ain't just the leaders working hard. Well, they hold the whole team together but they can't do everything alone. There's the mood maker, the caretaker, the spoiled one, the cheeky one, the list goes on and on. One must have a split personality to fulfil all roles.”

I studies him closely. There was a faint smile on his lips and a fond undertone swung in his voice. The kind that gives you impression one reminisces about one's past. Now that I think about it I had no clue whatsoever what exactly Jaejoong was studying.

So for the headmaster the rest of the students are invisible?”

Mostly,” Jaejoong agreed and yawned. It didn't take long for me to feel sleepy, too. Damn the comfortable ground and the warm sun. “Though there are exceptions.”

Speaking of yourself?” it was just teasing but I wasn't expecting him to agree.

Oh,the headmaster dislikes me. You could even say he hates me.” Jaejoong seemed amused. I wasn't sure how to take that. In the end I asked for the reason. I mean who finds it funny when he was hated by somebody? I for sure didn't find joy in it. Not that I cared about haters anyway – they're everywhere: jealous people who're unhappy with their own life. Who couldn't or can't accomplish anything and try to bring others, who were successful, down because of their enviousness.

The raven haired boy was silent for a moment. “I think you noticed after a few weeks here … same relationships are accepted?” I nodded at his questioned gaze. I bet my eyes were shining with curiosity. Jaejoong chuckled and patted my head, mumbling something about being horrible cute.

In the beginning it wasn't that way. There wasn't a law or anything that forbid same relationships but we haven't been given the okay either. It didn't matter though since this is a mixed academy and therefore ual frustration wouldn't built as in all boys or all girls school. Trust me, it's the worst there.” I stopped myself from digging deeper. There was a look in the older boys eyes that prevented me from doing so. A look I'd seen in my room mate one's, too, when I'd asked about his father. “Of course there were a few kids who liked the same gender,” Jaejoong continued. The typical twinkle returned in his eyes. “Their uncertainty affected their performances. It wouldn't have been a problem if they were normal students but one happened to be in Bigbang. That was a problem.” Now I was totally intrigued. The other's voice was smooth, a touch husky and the uncovered swing of tone reflecting his own emotions as he shared past events made it enjoyable to listen to. “Jiyong being worried about his team's condition went to the headmaster asking him to make an official announcement to ease the students agitation. There's the twist: even though Jiyong is one of the golden boys the headmaster in't fond of him in a bit. Bigbang's leader is rather a nuisance he put up with because Jiyong has much influence on many and is called a musical genius. I guess you can imagine what the head's answer to Jiyong's request was, right?”

Probably not a positive one,” I mumbled, brows furrowed.

You're smart,” Jaejoong chuckled and I frowned deeper. Was he mocking me or was it an earnest statement? You never knew with him. “The headmaster dismissed Bigbang's worries which resulted in a disastrous performance on their side. Although the blame was put on one of the rappers as he'd only recovered from a serious injury a week ago. In the end Jiyong had enough and asked Yunho for help. So Yunho went and pleaded to officially allow same relationships. And guess what, days later an announcement was made that students were free to mingle with whomever they wanted and discrimination would not be looked over.”

So the headmaster likes Jung Yunho sunbaenim?”

Jaejoong snorted. “That would be an understatement but that's nothing you need to think about.” Again. I got frustrated with the phrase 'nothing you need to worry about' in all kind of shapes.

I was quiet for a moment. I thought over the story I just heard, the obvious favouritism that was more complex than I thought and the choice to have a homoual or heteroual relationship till I stumbled over an important detail that was missing in the older boy's story. “Then why does the headmaster dislikes you?”

Jaejoong grinned. “Ah, here I thought I could trick you. The rumours are true about you being a smartass, huh?” I blushed indignantly at the teasing remark and puffed out my cheeks. “I can't help it if my classmates are mentally challenged.”

That made him laugh out loud. For the very first time I heard him laugh. It had a strange sound, as if his laughter was broken. But I couldn't ignore the fact that it was contagious. Even the most depressed person must have the urge to laugh along, I thought and felt my mouth stretch wider and wider until I laughed as well. It took us a while to calm down, mostly because Jaejoong was caught in another fit the moment he seemed to have calmed down. “Actually, before the whole Bigbang mess I wasn't on the headmaster's blacklist. Only after I opened my mouth and opposed against one of his actions was I disgraced.” His eyes became dark. A memory, it shot through my head. “When Yunho had paid him a visit and I found out why I immediately rushed to the headmaster's office and asked him to turn Yunho's favour down. I pleaded. That was the first mistake. The second was me telling him it would be a disaster if he agreed to both Jiyong's and Yunho's wishes. Nobody tells the academy's head he makes a mistake, especially when it comes to his masterpieces. If you want to be punished that's the safest road. Anyway, I got my beating and was told to never appear in his office again. If I do I would be expelled. Have I mentioned our director can be a drama queen?” I ignored his attempt to light up the mood with a joke. What he told me bothered me.

Why did you interfere?” I asked. Curiosity and confusion filled my head. Didn't everyone preach equality? That none is better than others? Was Jaejoong maybe one of the conservative kind? He didn't strike me as one. He even helped with teasing Ryeowook about Siwon. My partner in crime. So what was the reason?

Jaejoong turned to me, gaze serious. “I want you to tell me one thing, Kyuhyun,” he said. His tone didn't allow any objection. “What do you see in people? Do you believe in the good sides or the bad sides? Do you think people can change? Or that they pretend they do?”

I blinked. What the hell? “Well...,” I started uncertain. I wasn't prepared for some moral and ethics studies. “From a logical perspective none is either good nor bad. Both are subjective. It depends on people's point of view. Some see laughing over someone else as bad while others categorise one as bad in other ways, murder, betrayal, violence.”

Very diplomatic,” Jaejoong commented. “But that didn't answer my question.”

I sighed. “I don't believe in anything than facts. I judge by what people say and do. People can't be changed completely. If their character is rotten they won't ever be pure. Some layers will turn white, but the core stays dark.” I groaned. “Damn, Freaky Horse got to me with his poetic wordings.”

Jaejoong hummed. “You're really wise for your age,” he stated and made me hit him. “What does that mean? I'm a genius!” I exclaimed proudly.

I got it, I got it,” the older male waved me off. “I wish everyone else here shares the same perspective. Sadly, they don't and that's the problem here. That's everyone's problem. They don't want to see the ugly human side. They tell themselves everyone can change for the better. But that's not true. If I order you to pick a random person and describe their character would you be able to? No, you wouldn't.” To be fair, he didn't give me a chance to answer. Well, not that his words were wrong... “But I can. I know who those students here are, what they did before they came here. Half of them aren't as innocent as they act. And I'm sure you've seen things that shouldn't happen in school or anywhere. Or maybe you hadn't. Else you wouldn't have asked me that question considering you're smart. I want you to understand, Kyuhyun. You're on the right track. Look around you clearly. See what people don't wanna see. Once you do I'll be happy to talk with you again. Until then it's better for you to stay away from me. Taking sides should be done with a clear mind.”

Speechless and confused I watched him leave, wondered what the hell had happened. “Seriously,” I mumbled. “I'm so done with people talking in riddles.”

Life would be so much easier if everyone would just express their thoughts instead of talking in circles. Was that why anyone wants to be a politician? Because it's second nature and doesn't need additional acting? I snorted and marched back to the dorms. Ryeowook was probably freaking out over my whereabouts.

 

֎֍֎

 

Where the hell were you?!”

Ryeowook was freaking out.

Damn, and here I thought I could just fall in my bed and play dead till the next day. The whole event had out my energy. I surprised myself with the ability to walk the stairs to my room and endure the ear deafening shrieking my room mate's mouth produced. Over a longer timespan it would probably result in ear bleeding. Not that said person cared. He continued his tantrum, oblivious about the fact I was short on passing out. “Do you know how freaking worried I was? It's not only that I didn't see you at lunch at your usual spot, I also saw you with Kim Jaejoong. Wait, no, I heard you've been seen with him. I haven't see you at lunch so obviously I couldn't see you with him to tell you not to hang out with him. I mean, are you mad? Is it not enough that bastard of a formerly exchange student wanted to use you as a toy back in your school? The looks he gave you and still gives you make me shudder. Now you call his wrath upon you in mingling with the person he can't stand the most?! Answer me, Choi Kyuhyun!”

I groaned and clenched my eyes shut, hoping that would sent the correct signal for Ryeowook to shut up. Far wrong. That seemed to infuriate him even more.”Don't give me that attitude! Don't think I let you off the hook so easily after you caused me so much trouble. I messed up in my cooking class and got scolded, much to the amusement of my fellow classmates. Solidarity doesn't come up in their dictionaries, brainless idiots. Then I walked right into a guy I swear is nuts – who on earth curls their hair outside their rooms? Anyway, he accused me of being jealous of his looks and all hope is gone in my case and I should just stay in the corner so he doesn't get an acid attack on the retina. I mean, what the hell? I just bumped into him! No need to go all y on me and insult me!”

Weren't you supposed to scold me and not moan about your day that apparently ?” I asked when I saw an opening to stop his on-going talk. Ryeowook blinked, totally thrown off the road. “Well, that guy was definitely crazy, so I needed to let it out my system and since I only see you now...” he trailed off. I already believed myself safe. Then, the atmosphere shifted again. Ryeowook narrowed his eyes, hands on his hips. Now he looked dangerously like my mother. And I hated my mother's scoldings. Made me feel like the dirtiest dirt of the dirt, stripped off any dignity I thought I had and yeah, you get it, right? “Where you trying to trick me, Choi Kyuhyun? You little punk. I'm not finished with you yet.

No need to worry,“ I waved Ryeowook off. “I won't meet with him for a while.”

Why so suddenly?” my room mate asked baffled. Weren't prepared for that answer, were you? I thought and grinned. “Got too much homework. So he said I should concentrate on school.” More like ordered me to stay away, I added in my mind. Not that it was something the ruffled male in front of me needed to know. I had the feeling the conversation I had with Jaejoong was something that should stay private... for now.