Freaky Horse.

My Life!

Freaky Horse.

Welcome to Ace Academy, new attendees!” the loud voice of the headmaster boomed through the hall. I scrunched up my face. Too loud. Poor sensitive eyes. “It's a pleasure to have you here. As the tradition demands performances especially made for this day will be performed soon. Entertain yourself.”

Nice and short, I thought. The director at our school should take a page from this man's book regarding speeches. I don't know any more boring than the one the old man hold. Every year I fell asleep and Heechul has to wake me up, annoyed and itching to run out the hall. Understandable.

My eyes followed the head of this academy who was replaced by a tall blonde in a red dress. So he's the reason I'm imprisoned here? Should I cause a fuss or be nice? Mr. Oh told me on our way in the Wide Hall (yes, its name is Wide Hall – very creative, I know) everything land on the headmaster desk. Therefore his decision is final and no matter how many teachers agreed to a possible project, if he doesn't like it it won't happen.

Talk about democracy. They definitely needed a lesson in vote by majority. Coincidentally I held a presentation a few weeks ago about the difference between democratic and dictatorial states. The results were fifteen points, obviously. I imagined myself in a nice tailored suit, hair styled back and smart glasses propped up on my nose. Damn, I'm so fine. And under my command all teachers who thought they could teach me something banal. I seek knowledge not stupidity.

Stop grinning like that, it gives me the creeps,” a voice behind me hissed. I flinched in shock and turned around to find Amber and her brother standing there. I rubbed the spot where her breath hit my skin. It gave me shudders. And something else...

Wait, how can you see my face when you stand behind me?” I asked tentatively.

Amber gestured to a girl who held a mirror in her right hand and checker her appearance. It was large enough to capture not only her with make-up plastered face but mine, too. Uh, I looked like . Why did nobody tell me?

Not even a plastic surgeon would help,” Amber commented dryly and added,” you're talking loud.”

I did? Heechul never said anything. My eyes widened. Damn him! That meant he had blackmail material on me. I knew it. Now I know why that ing egocentric likes to sleep at my house. He'd pay for that. And he calls me his best friend! Best friend, my . I was his blackmail source.

I don't care about you but if you stare in the distance please remove yourself from this spot. Unlike you, Henry looks forward to the performances.”

As if on cue her brother began to jump up and down, eyes sparkling with excitement. “I can see them! Noona, I can see them!” he shouted and I cringed at the volume. Poor eardrums. They didn't deserve this attack. His sister on the other hand stayed unfazed. She must be used to it. As I'm to my sister's evil corruption to when I was young. Cross-dressing? Not my idea of a healthy bring-up of a young and innocent boy who's blessed with intelligence.

I was shoved to the side. ”Thanks,” Amber smirked and pushed her brother to the front for a better view. I scowled at her. That was no way to treat people. Woman were supposed to be gentle. “That's fallacy,” someone beside me commented. I glanced towards a boy my age probably with short medium brown hair which bangs reached his eyebrows . He had clean-cut features, pale skin, a small nose and friendly eyes. But maybe I was deceived. I swear I saw a mischievous glint hidden in them. “Talking aloud, again?” I guessed, not really expecting an answer.

You're a newbie?” the boy asked. I lowered my eyes. I didn't like his tone. We weren't close enough for teasing. “Got a problem with that?”

The other blushed in embarrassment. “No. no, you misunderstood. My room mate graduated this year so I wondered if maybe I get another one. I don't like a room by myself. It's lonely.”

I quirk an eyebrow. My, my, how talkative this one was. “Dunno, I haven't gotten info yet,” I mumbled, attention drawn to the front when loud cheering echoed through the hall. Thanks to the high pitch I identified the crowd mostly as girls. Great, that promised some hot guys and I had the worst view. I glared daggers at Amber who gave me the middle finger without looking.

I clicked my tongue in disapproval. Why do I attract always bad people?

Wanna have a better look?” the boy I befriended (?) - wasn't sure about that – asked and smiled up at me. “I know a great place.” without asking for permission he grabbed my arm and led me through the mob of people to a more secluded area. It took me a few seconds to realise we were behind the stage. Naughty, are we.

Psst!” Bangs (I still don't know his name so I may call him bangs. Have you seen how well in a line they were cut?) gestured to the curtains. “Peek here. Nobody will notice,” he whispered and stick his head between two curtains. I followed his example and gasped in surprise. Only two lengths away the current dance team stood in their starting position. I was so close I could smell their nervous excitement and even their cologne. My eyes raked over every single one of the five, noting their well-built bodies in the tight fitting clothes, leaving nothing to the imagination. Caps covered their heads and cast shadows on their faces. Instead of hiding their features though it sharpened them.

Handsome, I thought.

Unity,” started Bangs, “is their group name. At the beginning they were called different – dunno how – but their audience liked their unity in performances. They're all individual, show characteristics unique to them, yet they manage to connect, to unify. That's why the name ended up as Unity. They're great. I never grow tired of watching them. Also, they're the pride of the dance department. You'll see it soon.” I could pick out a smirk in his words and wondered what exactly was the reason for the loud cheering when the woman – must be the announcer for the welcome party – announced them with shining through pride. The song started, slow and relaxed, the group moving synchronically like s around the stage only to freeze suddenly, their bodies forming a shield. I waited in anticipation. I didn't care what Bangs told me about the group's origin, all I knew was that they had the talent to draw one in. Like a dark hole. Once in you couldn't escape.

And the beat dropped.

Four of them fell to the side, the only person left jumping to the front and doing moves I didn't know where possible. Girls were screaming so high I was sure they reached some fangirl . Well, I could understand them. The guy was tall, had long legs and his arms indicated he could handle additional weight. And his jawline. Man, now I was envious. It was sharp, enhanced by the cap. But all in all it was his stage presence. I was sure the best dancers around vanish in the background when this guy steps up. He leaked charisma. Wait, did that sound too girlish? Boys are allowed to admit hot men, okay? It's included in the puberty laws. Back to the topic:

Strong, masculine, controlling.

That guy had it all.

And I couldn't quite put a finger on it, but there was a wisp of danger. The kind that gives you the impression not to mess with this particular person.

Jung Yunho,” Bang breathed in admiration. “He's the real deal. Unity's leader. He brought them to where they are. He gets respect from all dance groups around. And instead of being arrogant he's kind. Strict and merciless but kind. I always dream of talking to him.”

Wow, someone got a huge crush.

I pointed to the guy on the left. He stood out with fast movements accompanying the rest of the group. “Who's that?” I asked. Why not using Bangs' knowledge to the fullest?

Kim Jihun. In Unity for a year. Acts a substitute leader when Yunho is tied up with business matters.”

Business matters?” I snorted with laughter. It was just a dance group, wasn't it. All they needed was to dance.

Don't laugh,” Bangs huffed. ”It's a serious matter. Connections, social skills, it's important else you won't get far here. Your talent is nothing if nobody promotes you.”

Ah, so this talent academy was like any other company. In the end it all came down to one thing:

Money.

I should've known. So why did I feel slight disappointment? Maybe I had some hopes up? Hopes I could succeed in climbing the ladder? In showing everyone you don't need money to succeed? Hah, did I fool you? Of course I had no such thoughts. I didn't give this all any thought at all. If you remember I was occupied by learning German. In the short while I've memorised some more words. My vocabulary increased.

The other two in the back are Kim Junsu and Jason Coign,” Bangs babbled. I haven't noticed he was talking. My manners must've taken a hit since the numerous encounters with the number one jerk on earth (who I haven't seen till now). “Jason's from England and got recruited at age fourteen. He's one of the longest attendees here. His mother is English, while his father is African, that's why his skin is darker. Kim Junsu is famous for his sharp dancing. He's considered Yunho's rival though I say you can't really compare them since they have two totally different styles.” I nodded. A polite gesture. Would be rude to show no sign of attention.

And the last one...” Bangs voice grew quieter. Not because of his voice hitting some point of strength loss. It was because of me. Cause I didn't need to know the last group member's name. Didn't I know it too well. My eyes fell on the all too familiar figure, awfully familiar. My stomach contracted uncomfortably and I felt fear rise its head in anticipation. My head swirled and the blood rushed like a waterfall in my ears. Cause two metres away Shim Changmin danced, giving off the vibe of a confident male knowing exactly what his effect was on the ecstatic crowd. And ecstatic they were. The screaming was unbearable. It helped thinning the flimsy thread connecting my extremities and the part of my brain controlling the nerves. Though it would snap soon. It just needed a trigger.

No sooner I came to the conclusion the jerk made a turn, back to the crowd, part of the shield they created at the beginning. With the difference he stood on the opposite side, meaning close to me. And for reasons probably only the universe could grasp he lifted his gaze and our eyes met – as many times before.

My heart stopped, literally. My brain forgot how to send signals to all the body parts responsible for breathing. Instead of warm fluid blood ice flowed through my veins and chased away all warmth. Put me in a freezer and I wouldn't be fazed by the cold. I bet my body temperature was lower.

The jerk smirked for the split of a second and then mouthed something I was sure was my name. A shudder ran down my spine. Memories of an empty classroom, caged in merciless arms and a deep voice whispering my name along with dirty words I do not wish to repeat flood back in my head. It must've shown in my eyes cause the origin of all the recent events cocked his head, winked and hip , which coincidentally matched the choreography. Anyway, that was too much. I spun on my heels and ran away, the surprised shout from Bangs leaving behind.

Away. I needed to get away. As far as possible. As soon as possible.

I dashed through the hall, oblivious to the wry looks thrown at me. I felt like a caged animal. And a caged animal yearned for freedom. My mad run was stopped outside by a small object I later identified as a backpack. With an ungraceful move I kissed the grass passionately. I groaned in pain but Shim's face boosted my energy and I prepared for another speed run. A hand clasped around my forearm prevented me from any other athletic demonstrations.

Don't run.” His voice was firm. It was one with his grip. I lowered my head, body trembling. I was surprised my voice wasn't shaking. “Why not?”

Don't.” Was that a thread? “Running away leads to more pain. You'll lose yourself in negativity if you don't stand up. Stay strong and face it.”

But that's hard!” I cried out, emotions daring to break through the dam.

I know,” came the soft reply and seconds later I was engulfed in tender warmth. The embrace took whatever resistance I'd managed to hold. Tears flowed without restraint, wetting Jaejoong's shirt. But he didn't move, neither did he talk. He just tightened his arms around me, hiding my face in his chest, shielding me from the outside.

For a moment I found comforting peace. For a moment I could just let loose and soak up the strength I was given. Strength I'd definitely need for the future. I wasn't delusional. It'll be hard from now on. And won't become easier for a while.

 

֎֍֎

 

I groaned. Doing bureaucracy staff tired me to no end. Here I was, sitting in the waiting room with a dozen other annoyed people, enduring the horrible noises and mundane routine. I wondered how office workers were able to live without going insane. Every day the same procedure, the same questions and problems, different faces sweeping by in seconds. Argh, just the thought made my mind spin.

The machine chinked. My head shot up, only to be disappointed by a number far away from my own showing on the display. I saw an elderly woman go up. She had some difficulties getting her stuff and holding her walking stick at the same time. As expected her bag fell down. None bothered to help her. I frowned at that and got up. I kneed down, put the spilled contents back in their place and held it up to the old lady. She smiled gratefully. “Thank you, young man,” she thanked me and patted my cheek. I returned her smile and returned to my seat. After that the time went by faster. I felt fulfilled. My mood raised even more when the old lady waved in my direction on her way out. I grinned at her sweet behaviour. The ones who had her as a grandmother were lucky. The thought dampened my mood. When was the last time I called my own? After all they did for me? I decided to make a phone call as soon as I was out of here.

Finally, after an eternity went by, his number flashed on the little display above their heads. Gleefully he marched to the designed desk where a woman in her mid twenties waited. She showed no excitement for her work nor interest in her next client. Administration secretaries were lovely as ever. “What can I help you with?” the woman asked in a monotone voice. Nice day to you, too, I thought and grimaced. Just my luck to have an unmotivated employee. Nevertheless I remembered my manners and replied slowly but politely: “I wish to change my place of domicile.”

Do you have the needed paper?”

Wordlessly I hand her the signed documents. She flew the over in a routine that was tiring just by looking. After that she proceeded on copying and scanning it, clicking something here and there and ordering me to sign another document. I bet this procedure repeated itself a hundred times a day. Gosh, how did a human being managed such dull work?

When I finished all the task I gave her my identity card and she changed my domicile with its correct address and returned it to me. I even got two free cards for the local cinema as a welcome gift for moving to this town. Twenty minutes later I was freed from the confines of the registration office. You wonder how I managed to do this task alone despite the fact I couldn't speak German yet? My room mate was so kind as to help translate a few phrases to me and let me repeat them in the country's language till he was satisfied with my pronunciation (please ignore the fact that the staff communicated by using English). I mean, come on, it sounds cooler when I say I managed without second language help.

Ah, you don't know my room mate yet, right? He was the bangs person. Those really neat bangs. His name is Reyowook, Kim Ryeowook. Same age as me. His talent was furthered in the Arts Department in the cooking section.

Once I recovered from my break down and let Jaejoong lead me back straight towards the assigned room I was supposed to stay in for an unlimited time, embarrassed as I was I avoided any eye contact and hardly got out a words of gratitude. The young man didn't comment on it and wished me a good evening before leaving, the worry in his eyes tugged at my heart. It raised my wish for Heechul and his antics. My room mate came a hour later, mood cheerful. It went kinda like this:

When his gaze landed on me astonishment graced his features. Mine mirrored his probably. “You!” we both exclaimed at the same time.

Bangs!”

Drama queen!”

Huh?”

What?”

We stared at each other. “How did you call me?” I pried and squinted my eyes. Bangs aka my room mate scratched his neck in discomfort. “Well... you dashed from backstage like one of the actresses in a TV drama who interpret too much into something. And since I don't know your name I dubbed you Drama queen. And what's with 'Bangs'?!”

Your hair,” I gestured. “Those bangs are like your own mark. And you didn't introduce yourself and just kidnapped me. And Drama queen – no matter how justified – is more of a jab, don't cha think?”

The boy rolled his eyes. “Okay, okay, how about we forget it and begin anew? My name's Ryeowook and I'm an attendee for one year and a half. Welcome to Ace Academy where your dreams can come true.”

And yeah, the rest is history. Okay, maybe not. Ryeowook informed me about some standard rules I was too posh to listen to (y'know the Do's and Don'ts) and that he wouldn't sleep here tonight and had to leave soon but I should make myself comfortable and that tomorrow he'd give me a proper tour (something about room mate's responsibility). So I followed his advice and took the bed to proper use. For services they got an 'A'. No need to put clean sheets on a bed. Already done. And it smelled good, too. Heaven.

A knock on the door forced me to get up and receive my luggage. I got two suitcases, one with clothes, one with my babies and some electronic devices, and got to work. I placed various toiletries in the small cupboard over the sink which was located in some sort of vestibule. Well, I squeezed it in-between. Dang, my room mate valued skin care much I say. Across our 'little bathroom' there was a walk-in closet, one side for each. In no time my clothes were stored away along with both suitcases. Then I stepped in the actual room and placed one book on my night stand and the rest on the desk I guessed was mine. After I was satisfied I decided to call it a rest for today. I've got enough time to decorate my side of the room comfortable in the follow weeks.

With a yawn I stretched my limbs and fell into the soft sheets. I buried my face in the pillow and closed my eyes in relief. No more thinking, no more pretending. Just relaxing. There exists nothing better than a wonderful bed, I tell you. And now, good night. The genius needs sleep to function properly. And if you wonder about the performances... I did miss some spectacular talents but I'd witness them again soon enough, as per Ryeowook. And the newbies were sent to their rooms afterwards anyway. So I didn't do anything wrong. See? I'm good like that. Adjø.

 

֎֍֎

 

The next morning passed uneventful. As promised Ryeowook gave me a tour. It'd be all nice if it wasn't at half past seven in the freaking morning! Just my luck to get a room mate whose cheerful in the morning, couldn't get any better. With a mien that could rival seven days raining I followed my room mate down the floors. Can you blame me? I'm mentally exhausted and need sleep, much sleep. And yeah, I sound like a whiny grandpa. For your information, that's a gene running in our family and passed down to the male descendants. Any objections land on deaf ears.

Our dorm houses mostly students of the Arts Department such as dance, singing, painting, handicraft. Therefore those buildings are quite close,” Ryeowook explained and gestured outside. I followed his outstretched arm and almost snorted. What was that, a playground for kids? On the nearest building a paintbrush and its paintbox was painted all over the front leaving not much room to guess. “Department of Arts, painting section?” I assumed with a grin. Ryeowook smiled sheepishly. “Well, it's some sort of law to make it obvious which department it is. The teachers once said it makes it easier to find one's location. I find it pretty cool.”

I didn't comment on that. A student in the cooking section must be crazy. Seriously, who went to a talent academy for cooking? Go in the kitchen of the next restaurant and learn there. Who goes to a mental hospital on one's free will? You can't disabuse me. In fact I put everyone right. Pictures painted on buildings? People swooning over mere humans? Soon-to-be-met teachers who turn out as crazy psychopaths? It was all here. And I'm gonna prove you right. Choi Kyuhyun is never wrong. Mark my words. Oh, is it bad if I hum Justin Bieber? Dunno how they react to him. No pressure~

Ehm, Kyuhyun...”

I hold up a hand to stop my room mate from talking. “I'm in the flow, don't disturb me. You give me purpose~”

Huh?”

I groaned. “Not 'huh'. You have to say 'What do you mean?'” I lectured Ryeowook who looked lost. “Communicating with song phrases, room mate. It's entertaining.”

My room mate still didn't look convinced. If his expression was anything to go by he thought I was insane. Well, how goes the saying? Some confuse genius with insanity. Definitely correct in this situation. Suddenly, Ryeowook's face brightened up and he ran past me in high speed. The highest squeal I heard in my life hit my eardrums and made me deaf. No dramatics. There was a TV on standby making sounds in my head. I hated those kind of sounds.

Kyuhyun!” my room mate called. Controlling my expression in a friendly one I turned to the source of my earaches. Beside my room mate stood a good-looking guy (I take the majority's point of view) with a pleasant face and a y body. Come on, every girl likes fit men. Don't lie to me. I studied females behaviour with reference to ual attraction – in elementary school. As I said, my genius can't be overtaken. Females feel attracted to men with muscles. Not these bodybuilders – uwah I get shivers – but normal guys with muscles which can be seen slightly. And this guy's muscles definitely showed under the form-fitting shirt. Man, I get jealous. Should hit the gym or rather the swimming bath.

That's Siwon, a friend of mine,” Ryeowook introduced the tall male who bowed in an exaggerated manner. I stepped back in sudden worry. Suspicious person. My alarm bells rang wild. My room mate giggled. “He's a student in theatrical performances.”

Ah, that explains it.

It's a pleasure to meet you, Milord,” Siwon said in a pompous voice.

Yeah...” I replied slowly, fearing for the guy's sanity. His theatrical studies didn't seem to do him good. “The pleasure is all mine … I guess.”

If Siwon was bothered by my attitude he didn't show it. As I later found out (Ryeowook told me in one of our from then on starting ritual good night talks) his friend was raised up as a gentleman, appearance and manners all inclusive. Well, I can second that. Not. All he reminds me of was a freaky guy with a handsome face -kinda. As I said, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Or did I? Whatever, now I did. Where was I...? Right, why do freaks have to look good? I thought that was only possible in films, seems my assumptions took a curve (connection had to lie in alcohol, sober I never was in the wrong).

I was showing Kyuhyun around,” my room mate's words drifted to me. Was I deluding myself or swung a shyness in his excited voice I detected as first signs on a crush. In one of our good night talks – who'd have guessed – Ryeowook admitted when he was younger he'd harboured a crush on freaky horse (yeah, you heard right. His features were similar to horses, in a good-looking way though). Close proximity plus kindness in childhood equals sooner or later crush. I did my homework, ladies and gentleman.

Do you wanna come along?”

What? I stared at Ryeowook. He smiled innocently at me. “So?”

No!”

Someone was desperate.

With pleasure!”

Someone was eager. Or maybe it was the actor inside him.

We stared at each other in shocked turn embarrassed silence. Correction: Siwon and I did. Ryeowook looked just confused. “Is there a problem?” he asked and sounded small. Uh, I hated when people cry, when I made them cry. This annoying thing called conscience kicked in and drowned me with guilt. My conscience and my father should converse with each other; would become great friends.

Forget it, Bangs,” I said quickly. I didn't want him to tear up. The nickname seemed to help. The half-hearted glare he sent me was indicator enough he wouldn't break down in public. “I'm still a bit tired, moving in, school transfer, y'know, the stuff. If you really want your friend can come along.” The smile brighten up his face was almost worth the deep agony I foresaw in letting this freaky horse tag along. Damn, I was too nice for my own good. Don't you agree?

Have you shown him the theatre section?” Freaky horse asked. My room mate shook his head. “We finished our dorm and I was in the middle of explaining how the overall campus looked.”

Siwon – I decided to call him by his name in case freaky gorse slipped my tongue and might upset Ryeowook – nodded. “Well, then let me have the honour to show you my second home.”

I wasn't afraid of ghosts, neither was I a coward when it came to hunted houses. But, I feared our next destination. I had bad memories when it came to theatrical performances. When I was a kid my parents brought me along to an act. I was traumatised for life. I couldn't stay near a man in a suit. I hold the firm conviction every one of them was a killer and his secretary his partner in crime as well as an affair. Do you know how often I locked myself up or what torture I went under on confirmation or other official events. There were plenty men in suits ad secretary.

So I wasn't keen on experiencing another trauma just yet (the Shim “Jerk” Changmin one not included). “You know what?” I said and successfully turned freaky horse's (couldn't resist )and Ryeowook's attention on me. “I don't feel that good. Must be the exhaustion. How about we postpone the rest of the tour on another day, tomorrow maybe?”

My room mate looked slightly down but the worry about my well-being outweighed his own disappointment. In the end he agreed and persisted on bringing me back to our room. Siwon tagged along in case I suddenly fainted. Better safe than sorry, was my room mate's excuse. … Sure. I wasn't from yesterday.

For the sake of my lie – I'd prefer twist of the truth or possible truth in a parallel universe – I swayed a little and complained about a nearing headache. Who said I couldn't act?

If you need anything call me immediately,” Ryeowook said sternly after we reached our dorm room and was safely tugged under the sheets. “I wrote my number down” He put a piece of paper on my night stand and looked me over once more. Man, now I missed my mother's care while I was sick. Pretending wasn't that bad. “I'll manage,” I whispered and wished for them to go so I can start my research on this place. “I'll call if anything happens.”

Before Ryeowook stepped out the room I added: “A childhood crush can be stubborn.” And revelled in the blush adoring his cheeks.

Genius Kyu strikes once again.