Trading Places.

My Life!

Trading Places.

It was dawn. Birds started to chirp, the yard was emptied. Every sight of human life vanished. Only the lights shimmering behind doubled windows indicated some activities hidden behind closed doors.

The room was quiet, peaceful. No unnecessary chitchats at a time more worth for studying. No annoying person talking one's ear off. No brazen face occupying one's bed as if it's their own. No room mate walking a circle in the floor and tempted one to tear one's hair out. No distressed sighs and the sound of a thumped page disturbing the peaceful silence.

Who was I kidding?!

The things I listed were exactly what I was going through right this moment. Here I thought I could enjoy the begun evening by listening to the chirping birds whose chants floated in our room through the opened window. But no. I was stuck with the nerve-stretching whines of a certain Kim Ryeowook and the nonchalant behaviour of a cheeky Kim Jaejoong. If this continued I definitely had to be admitted to the psychiatry ward.

How about you mix vegetables, meat and rice?” Jaejoong suggested from his position on my bed after the sound of a sigh filled the air for the myriad time. Propped on his left elbow and his right leg cocked he leisurely thumbed through one of my beloved science books. Precious books I didn't allow him to touch. Two of my poor babies had already been cast heartlessly to the side. I shook my head at the older male. He had no interest in science except when it came to cast a horoscope on us. And as I've told him numerous time that didn't belong in the category sciences - in vain. That damn guy was more stubborn than a mule. And why did he look so damn fine in casual clothes? Never knew a popped collar with two open buttons could look so attractive. And what was with the whole face-tilted-to-the-side-in-half-profile-thing? The whole scene could've passed off as a model shoot. Ridiculous.

Isn't that kinda ordinary?” Ryeowook frowned and continued to pace back and forth. My nerve strings thinned with every step he made.

That's the point,” the current assaulter of my books said and used them as an aid for his gestures.

Poor babies. Could I get away with murder if I explained to the judges what the knowledge and worth in the books meant to me? May a few tears and heart-wrenching story how it were gifts of my late grandparents? No need for them to know they were safe and sound.

When Ryeowook sent him a blank look he smirked. “Everyone will try to outdo themself and present something fancy, won't they?” He cocked an eyebrow in question and the annoyance of a room mate nodded. “That's not all that matters. Sure, you eat with your eyes. Therefore an inviting-looking decoration is important. However, when it comes to food the differences between people fades. Money or not, upper class or lower class, each of them will look for a meal they can identify themselves with. So, tell me, what would you choose? A fancy three-course menu pleasing rather the eye then the stomach and so fancy you're scared to ruin its appearance or a simple meal that reminds you of your mother's home cooked lunch? Make you feel cared for? Loved.”

It turned rather silent. The kind of atmosphere I'd wished for the whole time. The thing was, I couldn't enjoy it because the brazen face on my bed had thrown me off the loop. Me and Ryeowook. He looked dumbfounded, eyes wide and mouth wide open. I told him there would nest a fly if he doesn't close his organ of speech. I wasted my breath, seriously. My room mate was totally absorbed in staring at the blonde haired male. Wait, blond?

When have you died your hair?” I blurted out. Call it random but there was no better chance. Maybe it pulled the cooking maniac back into reality.

Jaejoong gave me a judging look. He really could make one feel less than dust. Oh, that had a nice rhyme. “Kyuhyun,” he sighed. How dramatic. “You give me the impression you never actually look at people. Just glance at them and continue whatever boring thoughts you have on your mind.”

I let the obvious insult uncommented. I remember from past events the now blond was rather good at holding a grudge and took vengeance by throwing insults. Very mature. Not to mention the older male's opinion on my boring life he had to spice up was set in stone. “But to answer your question: this morning. I was ready for a change. Almost everyone here – except some foreign students from Norway, Denmark, Sweden and far up north – have dark hair. Need something to stand out.”

I looked at him disbelievingly. “Are you kidding me? How narcissistic can a man be? Isn't your face attracting enough attention for a lifetime?”

Jaejoong rolled his eyes at my unexpected outburst. “Take a chill pill, will you? Oh, that's a nice rhyme. Seunghyun can use that in his rap. He appreciates advice compared with our Jasmine here.”

That melted the frozen state Ryeowook was in. “Excuse me?” He narrowed his eyes at the lying figure on the bed, arms akimbo. “What did you call me?”

Jaejoong innocently looked up at him with pursed lips and big eyes. He could've fooled me if I didn't know his true character. “A phrase like 'Sesame, open'. It works, doesn't it?”

The vein on Ryeowook's neck thumbed dangerous strong. “Heechul spread that damn name, didn't he?” he fumed. “I knew it. That bastard is more cunning than a snake!”

Jaejoong and I exchanged glances. It was seldom to hear Ryeowook swear. The first time definitely had caught me off-guard:

 

You ing retard! Leave him alone! He clearly isn't interested. Are you blind or just plain stupid?”

I as well as Changmin gaped at the fuming male glaring daggers at my molester. Yeah, mine. Sure... what a joke. I would trade him for everything, be it a maggot I'd be forced to eat. Alluring it was.

Changmin got himself together way faster than me. Can you blame me though. I've known my room mate as someone gentle and quiet. He could get loud but that had to be a very good reason else he just gives you a judging look and that was it. And believe me, that look made you more guilty or uncomfortable than your conscience could ever do.

It's none of your business, chipmunk,” Changmin spit and took a threatening step forward. To our both surprise Ryeowook lifted his bag and threw it in the bastard's face. There was a crunch sound and when Changmin's head reappeared his nose was bleeding and looked slightly crooked. He stared dumbfounded at his bloodied hand before he let out a pained cry and fled the corridor.

What a ,” Ryeowook snorted and victoriously lifted his bag from the ground. “Hope the damage stays permanent.”

Man, you were awesome!” I commented. “Who knew you've got it into you?” Satisfied I patted my room mate's shoulder. He blushed and turned back to his bashful self.

 

Yep, don't underestimate Kim Ryeowook. And today I witnessed for a second time his 'gangster' side. And wondered what my best friend did. Seriously, he only caused trouble since his arrival. He was worse than me. And I was considered a troublemaker already.

Yah, get off me!” Jaejoong yelled and successfully brought me back to reality. I blinked and was at a loss of words by the picture in front of my eyes. Ryeowook had his arms circled around the blond's neck who was splayed on my bed due to the force my room mate had used. That was my theory. Otherwise their posture couldn't be explained. “If you want me to leave the room you could just say it,” I mocked them. Jaejoong glared at me and tried to pry off excited Jasmine's arms from his body. “No need to go this far for gratitude,” he mumbled and continued to struggle. In the end I took pity on him (fine, I wasn't interested in another revenge play of his) and shoved Ryeowook on his own bed. “Behave!” I ordered and smirked satisfied when the other complied. Should become a officer in the army or something...

So you like the submitting type, huh?” Jaejoong commented. He seemed to have recovered from my room mate's attack. Though I wished he didn't when he asked that question. That guy's ridiculous mind was on a complete different level. Even Heechul would have it hard going against him. Oh wait, he already did. My best friend still hadn't told me the outcome of the fight. Not that it was important. I mean, it's not like the mood is tense whenever I mentioned their opponent's name in front of either Heechul or Jaejoong. It's not like it looked like a boxing ring whenever they met eyes, arms automatically lifted in a fighting stance and the air around them falling a dew degrees. And it's not like I was going crazy by their stupidity. No, not important all.

Are you listening?” I cocked my head to find Jaejoong looking at me displeased. “What?”

Am I right if I say you like to dominate?” Excuse me, where did that come from? Out of nowhere.

The blond sent me a charming smile. I shuddered. Bad feeling, very bad feeling. There was never a good outcome when he looked at me like that; trying to make me do slash believe in something. I backed away when Jaejoong stood up and came closer. With his lips curled upwards and a dangerous glint in his eyes he resembled Changmin when he found a new prey.

Not good.

I looked for Ryeowook's help but my stupid room mate didn't sense any danger and was more occupied with rethinking his recipe. Out of the edge of my eyes I could decipher the words 'motherly' and 'meal'. So he took the blond's advice to heart.

Speaking of said man... I squeaked when I turned my head back and found the other's face centimetres away. He was so close I could see fine dark lines radiate from around his iris, making it look like two small suns at noon. “Or do you prefer the dominant kind?” Jaejoong whispered. His words caressed my ears and sent goosebumps along my skin. Gosh, what the hell was happening? He placed his arms on the desk, successfully trapping me between him and the object.

What's got into you?” I hissed and tried to shove him away. Emphasis on tried. Jaejoong was much stronger than he looked. Of course, he had muscles. Under some shirts you could even see their outlines but he never showed his actual strength. “Are you ual deprived, or what?”

The other had the audacity to grin. “My, my, Kyu,” he chided playfully and caressed my nasal bridge. I flinched. His gaze sobered up. “You won't get laid if you shut everyone out and block any flirt directed at you.”

And with that I was freed and Jaejoong retreated to his former position and continued reading in the book he'd thrown to the side before as if nothing happened. He should compensate for the torture my lovelies had to undergo. I'd be a rich man by graduation time. Maybe I should consider collecting a fee...

 

֎֍֎

 

Yunho walked with confident steps into the headmaster's office. He had nothing to hide and only things to be proud of. He owned confidence as people had told him multiple times and a simple message from the headmaster wasn't going to change that fact. Not that he ever was bothered when the headmaster demanded his presence. Till now it had been about the current audience and their dance preference, how the response was, if Yunho had complaints, which member would take centre and the line-ups. The last thought brought a bitter taste in his mouth.

For you to thrive on top is necessary in order to leave the academy. From today on you'll be Unity.”

He closed his eyes. No flashbacks, he told himself. You're over that, keep going forward.

A deep breath later he pushed the dark reminder of his past back in its closet and knocked on the familiar door he came face to face with in at least once a week and stepped inside the bureau that felt like a second home in a sense he spent so much time here. A voice in the back of his head snarled something about control mechanism and possessive attitude but Yunho chose to ignore that. What did it help to dwell on things he couldn't change? His life was dependant to the headmaster's good will. If he slipped he'd fall hard, would be crushed. And this time there wouldn't be anyone to put his feet back on the ground. That assurance he left behind a long time ago. You have to risk something to move forward, as the headmaster had told him numerous times. The saying even stood in big bold letters on the wall behind the desk the man with the biggest power in this are sat. “Hello, Yunho,” the headmaster said in his usual calm voice and a friendly smile on his face. But there was something off. In the older man's eyes flickered a hostility Yunho hadn't been confronted with since his first days here. “I hope practice goes smoothly as ever.”

Of course, sir.”

The headmaster hummed. “Even with the new addition?”

Ah, there lied the pea. “I choose my members according to their talent, sir,” Yunho explained with reason.”There's no need to worry. He's able to accommodate well not to mention if we want to reach out with our own music he's a great addition regarding vocals.”

The smile on the headmaster's face turned more gentle. “I know I can count on you, Yunho. That's what I made you to be.”

Yunho nodded tightly. The slight warning wasn't one to be ignored. Suddenly, the older man's expression changed and his voice turned colder. “That's why I'm a little taken aback with the current situation.” He laid a hand on an object that was new. “Care to explain what this is?”

Yunho's gaze fell on the black envelope that taunted him and looked like the entrance to an uncomfortable situation he couldn't control. With forced calm movements he received and opened it. Picture fell out and without nearer inspection Yunho knew immediately what they showed: his interaction with the one person he swore not to interact with anymore. Panic settled in his stomach but he suppressed the urge to flee. He had to stay, fight else he ruined what he built. “It's me and Jaejoong,” he stated. There was no benefit in lying. It was too obvious. The raven haired man's face too distinct to pretend it was someone else, his reputation to well known. Yunho was aware the other was a rebel, experienced it first hand. And the headmaster knew it as well, if the disdain in his eyes was anything to go by. Yunho had no information about what happened between the two for the man who gave him the chance to make it big feel such resentment towards the young man who brought Yunho out his former lifestyle.

I believed I made myself clear that, for the sake of your group's establishment no contact is allowed with Kim Jaejoong,” the headmaster all but drawled and made the hair on Yunho's neck stand on end. “Are you unhappy with me, Yunho? Or why do you break the promise you kept for so long? I believed you loyal.”

That stung. If there was one thing Yunho was proud of it was his loyalty. His loyalty was his pride and it satisfied him to know if he spoke words his opponent believed he took actions. No one second guessed him. For that he worked hard. Now, for the man he was nothing but loyal to over the years to question exactly that caused shame to run in his veins. “I am loyal,” he pressed and tried hard to unclench his teeth. “He came up to me. All we spoke about was Cho Kyuhyun.”

The new member?” came the inquiry.

Yes, sir.”

What's the relation there?”

Yunho got the feeling he was being interrogated but there was nothing he could do about it. If he tried to withhold information the headmaster would question his loyalty even further. And the shame and disappointment that would follow he couldn't handle. So he told what he knew and observed. That Jaejoong and Kyuhyun seemed to be on good terms, it was due to Jaejoong's persuasion Kyuhyun was in Unity though Yunho made clear he wouldn't have taken the younger if he hadn't showed potential. Once he was done and dismissed with the reminder to keep his vow he felt uncomfortable, a discomfort he hadn't experienced before. Was it guilt? But was what he did wrong? He only said what was fact. He didn't lie nor rat anyone out, right? So why did he feel unsettled after he ended his briefing and the headmaster returned back to his work with a small little smile. With a sigh Yunho returned to the practice room only to find it vacated. Of course, without him s preferred to return to their beds on time and not four hours before they had tog et up again. Guess I'm gonna practice alone, he thought and stared at his silhouette in the mirror due the dim light. Lonely, he appeared lonely. Lonely like Changmin did sometimes when he thought nobody was watching, lonely like Junsu when his girlfriend stood him up again for reasons trivial, lonely like his former life, like the people he left behind. He clenched his fists. No, he wouldn't fall back. Not after all the rough climbing he did to reach the top of the mountain. He was almost there. He couldn't give up now. His stubbornness didn't allow it.

 

֎֍֎

 

Jasmine looks so innocent, but he's really insolent,” Heechul stated happily as he watched something on his phone. We sat on the floor in the practice room I learned belonged exclusively to Unity and watched the new choreography. My turn was in the second break down so all I had to do for now was observe to find any fault in the other member's movements. To say I wasn't really paying attention to my best friend and my actual task was an understatement. I was distracted by Changmin moving around and doing all sorts of things I didn't wish to think about. Or more specific: I didn't dare think about due to the affect they had on me. Not going down that road. He glanced at me when he had to turn around in order to make it look like Junsu was the one in control, not him any more. I gulped at the predatory smile he sent me. No going back alone, I thought and hoped my stupid room mate had no other plans than playing bodyguard. No way in hell would I leave alone, exposed to the dangers of the world.

Someone else seemed to have his own plans also.

My turn!” Jaejoong called, surprising everyone. My head, along with the rest of the room's occupants, swept over to the door were the blond stood, shoulder leaning against the door frame. I doubted the tight black jeans were comfortable to dance in. A feeling told me it was on purpose. For whatever. Jaejoong wasn't one you could understand by just spending a few months with him. He's as complex as radioactive isotopes decaying.

He pushed away from the frame, one hand running through his blond hair. I still had to get used to it. It wasn't like he didn't look good with it; on the contrary, he was gorgeous – no, that doesn't mean I have the hots for him – just the image of a blond Asian was strange. The centre of attention looked completely relaxed. A smirk played around his mouth when he moved to the middle where the four dancers stood. Yunho's face had turned pale a few shades though his jaw was set in a firm line. I knew him well enough by now to recognize this expression as an indicator that he'd pull through whatever his stubborn mind saw as a hindrance. Jason looked surprisingly calm. As if he knew who the one being substituted was he moved to the side. Changmin and Junsu were frozen on the spot. Reasons different. Junsu looked kind of happy, don't ask me why, while Changmin's expression could only be described as icy. A shudder ran down my spine. As much as I resented him this attitude of his was attractive. Yeah, I'm a masochist, didn't you know? Please note the sarcasm here.

Oh, this is gonna be hilarious,” Heechul mumbled and gleefully rubbed his hands together. I sent him a depreciating look. “You shouldn't feel happy about others' misfortune,” I stated. “Jaejoong isn't the most skilled dancer. I can't understand why he's doing it.”

Heechul gave me a funny look.”You don't know, do you?” he asked incredulously and burst out laughing at my confirming nod. The rest of the dance crew sent him a glare for being unprofessional while Jason skidded over and nudged my elbow. “Are we in trouble?” he whispered, eyes wide. He fumbled nervously with the hem of his shirt. Totally different from seconds before. I smiled at the displayed cuteness. It was the complete opposite from his usual cocky attitude. A nice change. And it distracted me from Heechul's stupid demeanour. Unconsciously I patted his head and shook my head. Who knew he had an adorable side, too? The music revived and the seductive notes filled the room. Trading places was the ultimate stimulation song. I would definitely play this when I've got someone nice waiting on my bed.

Why do you sound so satisfied?” I curiously asked the eccentric boy beside me and turned the conversation back to the other's earlier phrased sentence, while my eyes were trained on the two persons on the dance floor. What Jaejoong told me about his clumsiness in dancing had to be a lie. Who moved fluently like that when they stood themselves in the way? In comparison, the rumours about Jung Yunho being the dance king at this academy seemed exaggerated by the uncomfortable stiffness his body screamed. Or maybe his dancing partner was the reason? I'd probably look similar when another body was that close to me in that way; long enough to make my blood boil but too short to give utter satisfaction. Push and pull. Jaejoong was a master at that. Though... Jason did the same moves. What made the difference?

Ah, Yunho's in deep ,” Heechul snickered and grabbed his phone. “And to answer your question,” he swept with his index over the display, “a friend of mine sent me a video of their vocal practice,” he tipped on a symbol and turned his phone horizontal, “where Ryeowook is seen taking Kangin's and Siwon's microphones with him so they weren't able to sing,” he paused again and pressed one of the buttons on the phone's side, ”They've got one hell of a scolding from the vocal teacher for they were supposed to put the microphones in their appointed lockers. Ryeowook made it look like they took them out the room” A smirk played around his mouth as he mumbled something incoherent.

Why would he do that?” I asked surprised. Ryeowook didn't look like someone who would land Freaky Horse in difficulties. Trouble in paradise maybe? I bit my lower lip when Jaejoong's hand wandered dangerous low. Yunho seemed to came to the same conclusion as he took a step backwards to avoid a critical situation. Lucky him it belonged to the choreography.

My room mate definitely wasn't one to make other people suffer for no reason – if at all.

Apparently those two idiots had about his choice of pyjama wear. … At least he wears something.” Heechul clicked his tongue and hold his phone higher. I paled at his words. That sounded familiar. Was he going to prank me also? I hoped not. There was too much on my plate already. An angry and mean room mate on my toes twenty-four hours a week wasn't exactly on my wish list. Never mind the fact I insulted his pyjama months ago. People could hold grudges for a long time. I speak from experience.

What are you doing anyway?” I sighed exasperatedly after Heechul changed the position of his phone again. It was also a try to stop myself from imaging strange punishments Ryeowook may had planned for me. Heechul just shot me a mischievous look. “Just some blackmail. Nothing to worry about.”

I left that uncommented. Heechul was as strange as a human being could get. I should know it best. I'm friends with him for who knows how long already.

On the dance floor people had other thoughts. Junsu didn't know if he was supposed to intervene or not. It was the choreography after all. Yet, it was clear what Yunho and Jaejoong showed wasn't exactly the enjoyment to tease, pull and make the other come to one and then change the predator. The subtle caress of hands, reminding there was something to grab yet to fleeting to catch it. Body motions fluently answering each other's needs in such a bare way Kyuhyun had to look away. This was more than a mere dance practice, more than symbolising two persons' attraction to each other. This was giving insight in a relationship no one could put a finger on. Too complex to understand, too obvious to be seen.

Changmin on the other hand was more bothered about Kyuhyun's presence than his brother being in Jason's place. Out of the corner of his eyes he saw the other's gaze focussed on Yunho and Jaejoong, biting his lip in deep concentration. An action that pulled Changmin's focus all on the mouth he wanted to devour yet hadn't had the chance. All thanks to a certain someone. He felt the usual tightness in his chest when his thoughts stumbled over his brother's existence. His eyes wandered over to the blond and felt something familiar stir in his stomach. He just couldn't define it correctly. Was it that his brother ignored him even though they were in the same room? Or because he didn't want the male here at all? After all his brother tainted everything around Changmin. He was confused and a little torn, completely different to the blond who looked way too pleased with himself. Yunho not so much. Indeed the tall male wished the ground would swallow him. The conversation with the headmaster in his mind he used all the control he had to keep calm but of course head and body were two different things. His body reacted in all the ways he didn't want him to. No surprise there. When had it listened to him when the subject revolved around Jaejoong? His control and power were out of every cell and he himself stripped down to his rawest emotions; those he hid deep under the layers of his soul. And there was nothing, absolutely nothing, that was able to prevent it.

Jaejoong knew he would get into trouble. Later on. He would curse himself for pushing the limit.

Later.

He had to do it. Now. Else he'd go crazy. So he let his hands glide over Yunho's body, teasing, pushing. He felt the man's body react to his touches and it gave him some sort of satisfaction. Power.

It hadn't faded.

He leaned in, his breath ghosting over tanned skin and causing goosebumps. His lips almost touched Yunho's ear and he whispered, “Now you know how it feels to be me,” and then retreated, a cocky smile on his face as he left the practice room full of shocked and awed people. And a very much aroused Jung Yunho.

you, Jaejoong!”

Said male just laughed when the angry and helpless shout reached his ears. What a nice switch.

 

_____________________

Not much to mention. I'm a bit in a slump so don't expect much for the time being. I'm not very satisfied with the next chapter so I have to rewrite a little bit. Taking long as usual haha