Walking in Memphis

My Life!

 

Walking in Memphis.

Okay, so maybe I'm a bit exaggerating. It's not exactly walking. But we do fly over Memphis... kinda. I'm sitting in an aeroplane, by the way. Straight to Germany. Destination? No clue. Mr. Oh did mention the town, or was it a village? I was pretty sure though it was a remote locality. In my brain were all the big and important cities of Germany stored and whatever name Mr. Oh mentioned, it wasn't listed in the civilisation chart. You heard that right. Areas without infrastructure can't be called civilised. I'm smart so I know rather than non-civilisation it should be called rural areas but it's ing Germany! Europe in all has a urbanisation rate of 72,2 percent as of now while Asia got 39,4 percent. See the difference? Meaning in Europe, therefore also Germany, the range of “empty” areas is much bigger! No shopping malls, trains, cinema in the next village. You have to travel kilometres (see how I already use a different scale? That's called adaptation) before you find the usual civilisation. I bet this school is far off in some forest with ten metres fences to prevent any students from fleeing. There will be an evil headmaster, probably some spinster who's ually frustrated and bipolar, torturing us pour souls and mean teachers who preach discipline and order. Military-school style.

Urgh, I get the chills.

You wonder what happened between my expulsion and my current location in a comfortable seat in an air-plane straight to my downfall? My parents' reaction? It was hilarious. Really. Believe me. You haven't heard any funnier than what I'm gonna tell you. (Mark the sarcasm while you on it).

So it went like this...

My poor humiliated self managed to leave school without a breakdown – not the pathetic crying-till-there's-no-tomorrow-breakdown (not my style); I'm more of the going ape mad guy. Keyword: kickin' and screamin'.

Anyway, suppressing the need to scream loudly and hit a wall or something (I don't wanna get hurt since I at kicking) I walked back home to face the storm ahead bravely. Scratch that, I was scared as hell. I'm surprised I didn't pee my pants. Pretend it didn't say that, it doesn't go with the flow of the story.

Where was I? Ah yes, I went home though an annoying part of myself insists I staggered. Won't confirm it in a million years. So I wasn't even inside when my sister already rushed to me, face pale and eyes wide, and shoved a letter into my face with the school's sign on it. As you see, when it comes to unpleasant things the facilities for education are efficient and fast. Arseholes. I still wonder how they managed to sent the letter to my house in less than three hours. Yeah, I took my time going home. Got a problem with it? Good, continuing on.

Of course my sister being the nerve-wracking she is asked me immediately what's the meaning of it. Dumb question. It was explained in the letter, wasn't it? No need to pester me with it. As you see, she wasn't as blessed with intelligence as I. So I allow some sympathy. But only a bit. She's a meanie and loves to embarrass me in public. Not a nice older sister. 'Chubby thing' is only one of the shameful acts she pulled. Oh, I stray off-topic again.

Luckily my parents hadn't been home at that crucial time so another Vulcan explosion was been prevented. For now. I couldn't escape it forever. It was meant to be. I'd barricaded myself in my room, letter rescued from my sister's greedy pawns and hidden between explicit magazines for educational causes and curled up in my bed. That way I managed to survive the night. The next day went on smooth cause my sister was out from morning to night so she didn't get the chance to give our parents the dirt on me. Maybe she even had a moment of angelic grace to yield to me. Though that led me to question if it wasn't the devil inside her who did that. I admit I was scared that time to confront my parents, more my mother. She's a real fury when it came to events endangering her children's glorious future. My father just stays indifferent. The only thing he does is stare you down with his cold business look. Gosh, the most humiliating thing mankind can experience. It makes you feel like you failed on all levels of life and end up as an alcoholic or beggar. Heechul probably would label me as a Drama Queen again but I don't care. He'd never experienced my father's dismissive attitude before. A nightmare of the worst kind, I tell you.

So the portentous day I had to confess to my parents came two days later when my mother caught me sneaking into the kitchen at lunch time on a normal school day. Yep, I've been busted. At first I'd tried every single excuse; it went from a simple stomach ache to gangster waiting on my usual rout to school and a weirdo trying to snatch my y brains to an old ert following me. You don't believe how motivated your brain is when its in a panic. One idea after another sputtered out my mouth and one idea after another my mother's dace grew darker till she ordered me sternly to take a seat. Obediently I did as told and waited nervously. I swear I'd thought my heart jumped out my ribcage so hard it pounded. And now the funny thing comes:

I expected to tell in a detailed manner what happened and how I got an expulsion while being under scrutinization when my mother let out the longest sigh I ever heard her sigh and she looked at me with so much disappointment I couldn't bear to look her in the eyes. Disappointing your parents, worst you can do.

We waited for you to tell us,” she'd said.

Come again?

That had made my eyes bulge out. I mean, every student would expect a tantrum when the parents hear they've been cut from school. For them it's like a punch in their face, a failure in their raising. Not this calm and collected appearance my mother presented. This had to be a trap.

And the cherry on top had yet to come. When I first heard it I didn't believe a single word. You wouldn't either. Imagine your parents, in my case my mother, slides a white paper over and 'Application for Ace Academy' in big bold letters on top. For a poor student who's got the shock of his life not long ago that was hard to take in. And the explanation that followed, too:

My mum decided to come out of the dark in full charge. She revealed that the day she as well as my father received notifications about my suspension – urgh, I ididn't wish to be reminded again – another document travelled along. A document with the topic about a possible school transfer and an explanation about the process how it'd go.

That day I became aware of the fact that my parents and teachers at my school have had talked for months about possibilities to bring my genius much further. Man, that had been a blow to take. I'm still dealing with that fact. Hence me sitting in the aeroplane without much fuss. Cause it was exactly a night after the big event I've been kidnapped by Mr. Oh and his partners-in-crime, put in this plane and now being able to enjoy the landscape under me.

Don't ask me why we flew over the United States of America instead of taking the much shorter route over Asia and Europe. I never understood routes anyway.

Dear passengers, please fasten your seatbelts and stay put in your seats during the start. By any discomfort please alert the flew crew immediately. The Ace Airline wishes a great trip. Thank you.” The slight autotune voice made me raise my eyebrows. Ace Airline? I've never heard of it before. That sounded downright suspicious. I chanced a glance around me. Mr. Oh sat two seats away and read a newspaper. Though he seemed to sense he was being watched and sent me a small smile before returning to reading. There were a few young people around me, some around my age, some above I guessed. More girls than boys though. And all Asian. My suspicions grew.

Be honest; in a flight to an European country there had to be some foreigners. Be it because of a business trip, holidays or a family/friends visit. Never does a plane consist of passengers with the same origin. Too big of a coincidence. So this was planned. A set-up.

Suddenly I really worried about this so-called Ace Academy recruiting talents. What if it was just a farce and in sooth I'd be enslaved? What if for the rest of my education - Mr. Oh said it varied between three and six years (not very precise if you ask me) – I have to obey some crazy head master with a Siamese cat on his lap who's got a for young vulnerable boys in maid costumes? Hell, I rather die.

Noona, look!” someone behind me squealed, “I can see a river. It's so big.”

So the one behind me was also Korean. Interesting.

It's the Mississippi,” a girl I assumed was the boy's sister, relative, acquaintance, whatever. “We're over Tennessee, a county in the USA.”

Oh, the girl got some brains. Should I introduce myself to her? Then she may got the wrong idea. As I said before I wasn't into romance. Life was all about knowledge.

The boy commented on some other things I wasn't keen on listening to. Children's talk could be very disturbing. And it was energy draining. Urgh, when I think back to the many occasions I had to babysit my little cousin my ears already felt like they were bleeding. That baby screamed like no other. Baby monitor wasn't needed, I tell you. So much for cute babies! Especially full diapers. Gosh, their smelled. I swear your nose fells off when the smell hit your nostrils. Though, it definitely look better than this Shim jerk. Well, everything was prettier than that lame excuse of a human being. Even cockroaches!

Enjoying the flight?” a new voice asked from right beside me. I jerked around in surprise and came face-to-face with two big dark orbs and flawless pale skin, red lips stretched in a neutral smile. Who...? It took me a few seconds than the memory came back. “It's you!” I exclaimed very (un)intelligent. My new seat partner's smile turned into a genuine grin. “Strange way to greet someone,” he commented and I found the sparkles in his eyes fascinating. Don't start me with your 'fangirl-mode'. I do not have such behaviour, you hear me? I just acknowledge a fact. Should I shoot a photo for you so you can comprehend the effect those eyes have?

You seem to take the sudden change well,” the other stated and observed me closely. Damn, he got me nervous. “I expected you more reluctant, even sulking.”

Waste of energy,” I replied flippantly. “It's not like I can change a thing.”

There was a sigh. “Are you mad at me?”

I raised an eyebrow. What was that now? Do I look like a girl? Those questions are directed to the female gender. He must be joking. Demonstrative I looked out the window.

So you are mad,” came the statement. Was I wrong about something or resonated amusement along? Okay, now I was mad. No one made a fool out of me.

Do you think you're funny?” I snapped at my saviour-at-the-occasion-I-like-to-forget. “Mr. Kim?”

The young man made a face. “No formalities, please,” he begged. “I'm not much older than you.”

As.if.I.care.”

So you're the choleric type,” the person beside me continued. Gosh, he really didn't know when to stop. And choleric type? Excuse me if I feel insulted when a stranger makes fun of me while I'm in a very vulnerable state. After all, I had to leave my familiar environment and my parents' warm embrace. Do you know how traumatizing that can be? I wouldn't be surprised if a psychologist diagnoses me with mental instability caused by ridiculous decision making money-arseholes and students lead by ual underused libidos! And my only defence will be:

The world hates me.

Wow. The award to the most not suspense-packed statement made in mid-2016 flavoured with not fitting dramatics goes to … Choi Kyuhyun. Thank you very much. I always wanted such an award. Not.

A fit of laughter reminded me of the sour company I had. “What?” I growled as I watched Mr. Kim – it would be nice if I got his first name soon – laugh his off.

Do you know that you make this really weird expression while in thoughts?” he snickered, hand hiding his mouth. What, does he have missing teeth? I hoped so. That way his perfect face won't be flawless anymore. Hence, no insecurities regarding my humble self.

In the end Mr. perfect face reached out his hand. A twinkle still remained in his eyes I watched with hawk eyes. If it dared to grow I will punch him myself. Punch, not slap cause I'm neither a girl nor Heechul in his -mode. Mark my words. “Jaejoong,” he said and added when I must've stared at him with a resemblance to owls, “my name. Kim Jaejoong. Nice to meet you, Choi Kyuhyun.”

It's my pleasure,” I replied automatically. I was raised with manners, got it? I'd be the perfect gentleman in former times. These days, sadly, manners and mannerisms aren't as popular as they used to be.

Your blank face tells me otherwise,” Jaejoong teased and made himself comfortable.

Manners, I reminded myself as my blood started to boil. Manners. “May I ask why you're here and not there?” I pointed over to the door that marked the first class. Jaejoong yawned. “It's more comfortable here,” he mumbled, eyes closed.

I was tired of questioning him so I just got along with it. “If you say so ...”

The rest of the long flight I spent observing the blurry landscape under me. Green fields crossed by small blue lines made it look like a big leave with veins (my genius of course knew that it were forests and rivers). Just for the flow my inner poet needed to appear. From time to time I snatched a glance at my seat partner. And here I was looking forward to using the space of two seats fully. I sent the sleeping raven haired a annoyed glare I hoped haunted him in his dreams.

Wait... who said I still couldn't use the two seats. I smirked evilly. His fault for sitting here. Thanks to my genius idea I was in very good spirits; something I haven't been for a while. If I think about it not since Shim's transfer happened. Long time. , no depressing thoughts. Back to my evil plan. Turning my back so I safely leaned against the plane wall I took off the shoes from my feet and lifted first my left leg over the armrest and the right one. I made sure my feet were close to the sleeping man's face. Then I focussed back on the view outside. What a good life.

 

֎֍֎

 

Stop laughing!”

That made me burst into another fit of laughter. The reason why? Remember my super evil plan where I decided to put my feet under Jaejoong's face? I took it a step further and placed a rotten apple in his bag. Before you ask, I intended to throw the bad fruit in the jerk's face, you know who I mean. I didn't get the opportunity cause Mr. Fantastic (note the sarcasm) was escorted by five bodyguards. Five! Tell me about paranoid. So my revenge had to wait. Instead I put the apple to good use. And some condoms my sister thought I needed. Excuse me, do I look like I'm in need or what? Anyway, you should've seen the stewardess' face when she looked into the raven haired man's bag. This scandalised expression. Hilarious. And Jaejoong's shocked one added to my fun. Especially his attempts to explain himself which the stewardess just ignored. She even said she hoped he'd disposed any used condoms correctly and didn't disturb any other passengers. Man, that was the cherry on top. I've laughed so hard I staggered down the tunnel to the airport.

Don't you get tired?” Jaejoong huffed when we reached the main hall and were in search of seats while we waited for the booked bus to arrive. Mr. Oh had made sure all fifteen new attendees of this crappy talent academy were gathered so now I led with the embarrassed person beside me the whole bulk. Here I thought to go unnoticed. Hell, why do I have high hopes? Have you seen the rest of our pitiful group? I don't know how the academy managed to find them all or if they were productions of some manikin companies with a computer ship so they were able to behave like humans. So many good-looking people together was not normal. You may be surprised but I didn't count me in. though I'm a bit of all right...

Kyuhyun?”

Hm?” I turned questioningly to Jaejoong who sighed. “Forget it,” he mumbled and dig his phone out his bag. The apple had vanished. He threw it in the next bin as soon as we'd excited the plane. But I still spotted the condoms. Jaejoong noticed my blank face ans smirked. “You never know when you need one,” he chirped and put his earphones on. I sent him another flabbergasted look before staring at my own phone.

No new messages.

Wow, talk about concerned parents or friends. Well, if I was honest Heechul had no idea where I was. At the latest after the long weekend is over he'll start to wonder where I'm again. This time though he won't be able to just come over. Damn, not even twenty-four hours were over and I already missed my best friend. I was spoiled.

I don't need a man~ I don't need a man~ I don't need a man~

The low-key singing brought my attention back. No more depressing thoughts. I may miss important details. We've already landed in Germany I haven't bothered to memorise some words! Hard worker Kyu won't be impressed.

I glanced at Jaejoong who was totally into the song. Didn't it came to his mind him singing lines as I don't need a man made it sound strange? The weird glances some close passer-bys sent him should be hints enough, shouldn't they? Oh, whatever. Why do I care? He's one of the reasons I'm stuck! If I followed film scripts I'd ignore him or be totally y. Fancy.

Why ain't I do it? Cause I'm fabulous.

Oh, what do we have here? Imb-iss... I-mbiss... no comment. Should ask someone who can speak German. I nudged Jaejoong. “What's 'I-mbiss'?”i questioned. He frowned. Impatiently I pointed over where I read the word. Suddenly he smiled. “Im-biss. Stress the first syllable. It's a diner or takeaway. Hungry? Should I buy some food?”

I wanted to deny but my stomach betrayed me with a loud growl. Embarrassed I lowered my head. An hand ruffled my hair and then there was space beside me. I watched him walk over the takeaway, Im-biss in German (doesn't sound bad), and queue up. My eyes didn't escape the hungry eyes of some ladies or swooning glances of some teen girls. Hm, do Germans have a fling for Asians? Ah, wait. Since when did Jaejoong wear sunglasses? No wonder he catches the attention of some. Never knew sunglasses could make someone look like a superstar. Maybe the black ripped jeans and the white shirt played an important role, too. Okay, enough analysis. Back to my learning-German-words-mission. What else crawls through this airport...?

Ah, there. Holy moly. Germans do love long words, huh? Fahrk-artn-a-uto-mat? Definitely wrong. Too much Korean style. , I at this. Lucky me no one from my old school was around. I'd be the laughingstock for who know how long.

A warm package fell into my lap. My head jerked up. Jaejoong hovered over me, a steaming cup of … coffee? in one hand. “Another word I should translate?” he asked and took his seat. I pointed over the strange word I couldn't decipher. “Fahr-kar-ten-au-to-mat,” Jaejoong read slowly. “Ticket machine. You surely search for hard words.”

I ignored his remark and tasted the new word on my tongue. Should get myself a pocket book. Else I feared to drown in all those syllables, stresses and chain words. Satisfied with my productive project to learn this language I grabbed the unknown food Jaejoong brought. It was a long bun with something breaded, sauce, onions and salad. Since I was sure it wasn't poisoned I took a bite.

Fish sandwich with fried fish,” he explained. “Taste good?”

I nodded, mouth too full to respond. That earned me a chuckle. Well, should he make fun of me. I enjoyed this fish sandwich. A snack I'm definitely gonna eat more than once. “German name,” I demanded.

Fischbrötchen mit Bratfisch,” Jaejoong grinned. I glared at him. He knew very well that was too fast. “Fine, fine. No need to kill me. Speak after me,” he laughed. “Fisch-bröt-chen mit Brat-fisch. The first syllable is short, the second long and for the ö it's pronounced as 'the 'u' turn' alright? Good. For 'chen' it's short and the 'ch' is pronounced in the back of the throat. Oh, not bad. The next syllable is spoken as you read it and short. In 'Brat' the 'a' is dragged and Fisch is once again the same as you know it.”

I had to say Jaejoong was a good teacher. I understood what he meant. Now all I needed was to repeat it several times so I could order this yummy food alone fast.

Okay, ladies and gentleman, our passage is there,” Mr. Oh suddenly said and stood up. “Hurry up, we need to be at AA in time. The welcome ceremony will start this evening.”

That made me look at my watch. Twelve o'clock. We've got at least six hours. Why does he make a fuss? Don't tell me … the ride takes hours. I detest bus rides that take longer than one and a half hour. Rides that take longer wake the desire in me to jump out the window.

Be prepared to spend four hours in the bus,” Jaejoong murmured and shouldered his bag. “The academy is near a town which can only be reached by vehicles and a train. But going by train costs time and energy. That's why the academy send a bus for newcomers.”

How do you know so much?”

Jaejoong followed Mr. Oh. “My father is a sponsor. And as his heir he passes some infos over.”

Urgh, don't tell me he was a rich kid, too! First that jerk, now him. Please don't let me be the only common guy be there!

 

֎֍֎

 

As things turned out I wasn't the only non-wealthy person on the bus. The two who sat behind me in the plane came also from a common family. My assumption they're siblings had been correct by the way. The boyish girl, she introduced herself as Amber, was the older one and her younger bother was called Henry. To be precise they were half-brother and half-sister. Amber told me her mother remarried a Chinese when she was little and out of this connection Henry was born. That didn't mean she would love him less. I felt the signs of an overprotective sister. Okay, better not get on the boy's bad side then. Amber looked like she knew how to use a fist properly.

The nice guy I am I thanked them and left them to the things they did before I fired questions at them.

My gaze wandered over the fifteen girls and guys and I wondered if I'd be able to befriend any of them. Now that I was in Germany I worried about the problems language barriers would cause. Mr. Oh as well as Jaejoong assured me everything would go smoothly and there were enough Koreans I can talk to but I still had my doubts. The people in the bus were all Asians, coming from Korea, Japan, China, Thailand, Philippines, yet nobody talked to each other. How would it turn out when I clash with European or Americans? Will their be fights? Racism was everywhere.

You think too much,” a female voice commented from beside. She had an accent (Chinese?) but it seemed she could communicate in my language. “I can hear the rails turning in your head,” she continued and popped a cherry in . “I'm Lea from Taiwan, nice to meet you.”

Kyuhyun,” I introduced myself. “You speak Korean well.”

My mother lived in Busan for some years. She taught me bits of the language when I was little. Do I say it correctly?”

I nodded in approval. Maybe I wouldn't be as alone as I thought.

That guy over there... you know him well?” Lea asked. I followed her finger to a figure using the opposite seats as a footrest. The jeans were black and ripped. “Jaejoong? Not really,” I admitted. “He helped me once but it's only my third time I met him and first time I really spoke to him.”

Lea hummed, eyes fixed on the raven haired young man. “Thanks.”

I blinked in confusion but replied nevertheless, “You're welcome...”

How I survived the rest of the hours I don't know. Music helped but even of songs you get tired at some point. In the end I fell asleep and was been awakened by Lea shaking my shoulder. “We're here,” she stated and gathered her bag. “Let the adventure begin.”

Groggily I followed her out the bus and almost ran into her. She as everyone else stood frozen at the ground, head pulled back slightly and eyes huge as they stared at the building in front of them. I followed my group mates and gasped in complete surprise. Thanks to the brochure I thought I was prepared for what awaited me. I mean I knew it was a former castle but to see the real deal... holy . It was intimidating. Thick walls tried to reach the sky and cast grotesque shadows. Behind this defence smaller and bigger buildings (I counted fifteen buildings so far) loomed over the parapet. Chills ran down my spine. This looked more and more like a prison. Mum, Dad, where did you sent me?

Mr. Oh gestured us to tag along and he walked down the long bridge where security stood. After one looked me down I avoided the eyes of the others. Rule number one: stay good on the securities side.

My heart thumped along with the steps our group made. I was short on blacking out when the big doors to the inside opened. Why the was I so nervous? Didn't make sense. “Walking in Memphis Part 2,” Lea smirked. I sent her a quick glance which she ignored skilful. “You hear music rather loud.”

I gazed at the opening door. Yep, she got that right, though.