First Class Ticket

My Life!

 

First Class Ticket.

I woke up to an annoying ring. It continued on and on without trying to be considerate of my sensitive condition and very much needed sleep. The last days had stirred me up so much that I couldn't get a good rest. Ryeowook commented I looked like a living zombie. Thanks, room mate. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Whenever I thought peace would accompany my dreams either my uncle in form of a toy with a wide forehead would appear or big ice lips. You know who those belong to. If not, you're dense. So it was no wonder I only slept three hours at maximum and spent the rest pondering how to get rid of those nightmares in form of two people.

The penetrant ringing tone reminded me that indeed, someone was intend on disturbing even the little bit of sleep I could gather. Groggily and a little bit pissed I pressed the call button and grumbled a muffled hello. At the voice on the other end my senses rose and sudden euphoria flooded through me. All the curse words I was short on throwing at the caller's head were replaced with happy butterflies.

Heechul!” I yelled in utter happiness. Loud curses along with a loud thud greeted me. It wasn't hard to imagine what happened.

Yah, Cho Kyuhyun!” my best friend shouted. “You want me to die?!”

Did I know you get scared at your own name?” I snickered.

Don't get smart with me,” my best friend replied. I heard some rustling and squeaking. Guess he made himself comfortable on his bed. How I couldn't grasp. It was covered in manga. Completely, No kidding. The first thing I had to do the second I stepped in his room was to clean it up. Heechul was a messy person. Not in the way dirty clothes and dishes were scattered around. No, in fact he was very clean. Just books over books lied around. Sad thing it contained no scientistic issues, just cringe-worthy romance and non-sense adventures. Yeah, my best friend could be a dreamer and thinker at the same time.

You got some guts to call me,” Heechul continued, a dark undertone swinging along. “No calls, no messages, no infos whatsoever in over three months. I almost believed you dead if your parents haven't told me you were overseas for educational purpose. For your sake I hope you got a damn good explanation for your silence, Cho Kyuhyun.”

I gulped. Heechul was mad. Mad as hell I haven't thought about any consequences. I should've counted Heechul's condition in, considering I left him in the dark. Not nice. Well, if I'm a coward I could say I did it for his sake cause I know he'd do something to the source of my misery and I didn't want him to get in unnecessary trouble. Plain ridiculous. No one believes like that except the people in dramas who got an excuse. It wasn't them who decided the plot. If I'm honest – and I'm utterly embarrassed – I plain out forgot. It didn't cross my mind to contact my best friend. I'm horrible, ungrateful, think about all negative synonyms you can find. I deserve it. Now to the conversation that decides my future as either a living human being or a cold dead body.

Do you want a lie or the truth?” I asked in order to buy some time. “Cause the truth definitely ain't rosy.”

I don't give a about roses and unicorns!” my best friend snapped. Okay, guess bailing ain't the best method.

I forgot,” I confessed. Better sooner than later. There was no sound on the other side of the line, only Heechul's soft breathing. I closed my eyes in preparation for his outburst that was a danger to your ears if you don't hold the phone an arm length away. The seconds ticked away and nothing happened. Curious and a little worried I called my best friend's name. He didn't possibly put the phone down and left the room, right? I wouldn't put it past him. When he was mad he didn't stop at nothing.

So the lecture never came. Instead he threw me off with the gentleness in his tone. “What happened?”

those two words – don't ask me how – managed to break the dam that hold back the tears and I started crying. Not the pathetic snot-filled-bawling-one's-eyes-out-act, mind you. Just quiet sniffles. You may not understand what meaning the vocalised words had if you haven't experienced what I did. This act of caring, showing concern was rare these days. Of course, I had Ryeowook. He's wonderful, a great friend. But he wasn't Heechul. My crazy temporary room mate (he'd slept over for a week before) couldn't be replaced. Just the thought of him made my eyes sting.

Heechul-ah,” I mumbled, not trusting my voice. It always cracks when you can't control your emotions. “I don't know what to do any more. I feel lost. More lost than those people on this one TV show.”

That bad?”

It must be if I credit 'Lost', mustn't it?” I retorted back. “I'm scared.”

I need a full report,” Heechul said sternly. “But first, tell me the name of those people who need an introduction to my fist.”

Well, you can start with the jerk,” I replied and wished Heechul was there to brighten up my days.

Jerk? Ah, the transfer student? He's there?”

Uhu, it's his school. I'm in Germany,” I added to avoid further confusion.

I heard him take a sharp breath. “Are you ing kidding me? Why not just send you to Greenland? I need a good chunk of money for the ticket.”

You plan to come over?” I asked surprised.

Kim Kyu, do you expect me to sit still when you, my best friend, tell me you're frightened and probably get assaulted by Shim Changmin? I thought I taught you better.”

You still believe every male on earth is after you,” I commented. “How do you expect me to take you serious?”

On the other end Heechul spluttered profanities. “Excuse you that my self-esteem is healthy,” he sniffed. “Instead of a certain someone who only pretends to be confident when it comes to romantic advances.”

you,” I hissed, regretting to have mentioned the every-male topic. I've forgotten Heechul knew every single piece of my life.

Not today.”

I sighed. “It doesn't change a thing if I tell you anything. You'll only get riled up and get worried sick, probably do something stupid and I have to bail you out of prison.”

Come on, I'm not that bad, drama queen,” Heechul protested. I rolled my eyes. Too bad he couldn't see it. Mimic goes along well with words. “I may remind you of the one day in July ten years ago where you'd been almost caught if not for me.”

How can I forget. You tell me every freaking year,” my best friend replied dryly. “It's not like I don't appreciate it but that doesn't mean I have to worship you.”

I don't need you for that anymore,” I revealed smugly. “Found someone who fits the responsibility much better. You did a crappy job.”

Why are we friends again?”

You love me.”

Tell me something I don't know.” I hummed in response. “Don't you dare,” Heechul warned but it was too late. The song was already in my head. “How many inches in a mile? What makes you gonna smile?”

I can't believe you recite Selena Gomez!” My best friend sounded scandalised. Music knows no borders, people. Believe it or not, I grew up with Disney, know every old song. Kudos to my sister.

How's it going with your girlfriend?” I asked and elegantly (right)changed the topic.

Can't complain. She's sweet and even a little tough. An amazing girl.” He truly sounded happy. Good for him. After all the flops he deserved someone good. “SO it's like a year without rain when she's not there?” I couldn't resist teasing and snickered at the loud groan he emitted. “Why was I so eager to hear from you?” Heechul questioned in playful desperation.

Cause without me your life would ,” I stated confidently and leaned back. I felt my muscles relax and heaviness attacking my eye lids. Should've done this earlier,i thought. Talks with Heechul was healing medicine for me. Said person mumbled something incoherently and then his voice came out muffled. Must've been interrupted by someone.

Still there?” His question made me jump slightly. Didn't notice I've started to drowse. I yawned. “You were the one to lead a conversation with someone else,” I pointed out and stretched my arms out. The bed became comfortable.

Yeah, yeah, all-knowing Kyuhyun, your right. Forgive me my stupidity.”

Glad you acknowledge my genius,” I mumbled with a smile, eyes already closed. It cost too much energy to open them and it wasn't like Heechul could see it anyway.

Ah, I forgot to tell you,” my best friend said, “I met my girlfriend's parents last weekend. We had dinner and it went smoothly. Seriously, if it goes after her mother's wish we'd marry next year. Never understood why people find the meeting of parents so scary. They loved me. Next week it'll be her turn to meet my parents. I hope my father stays nice. If he acts up I'm gonna leave. I swear I'm done with his about relationships can wait, a career not. Apropos, your father got promoted and it seems he'll be away for a few months in the year. You must be happy hearing this, right?” Silence. “Kyuhyun? Hey, you hear me?”

Light snored reached Heechul's ears. “Can't believe it. You fell asleep?!”

The phone slipped out my hands as I slipped into deeper milieus. It fell on the ground where it lied till Ryeowook entered the room and picked it up. With a head shake he placed it on my desk and pulled the cover over me. Well, that's my theory. The phone definitely didn't move in its own and I'm pretty sure I don't sleepwalk. Right?

 

֎֍֎

 

"Kyu, we need your help!" Ryeowook exclaimed after he busted through the door, totally shocking me. Therefore I dropped the test tube with the flammable liquid in the flame of the gas jet. A short but intense flash shot up and reached the potentially explosive powder on my right. In milliseconds it exploded. The result was me covered in black particles and hair sticking to all directions. My wonderful styled hair. Typical film scene.

Ryeowook covered his mouth in shock. “Sorry,” he squeaked. I sent him a glare. What was with everyone and scaring me? “What!” I growled annoyed. Now I needed to redo my experiment! And I was already behind time!

Don't yell at Ryeowook,” Siwon piped in, a protective hand on my room mate's shoulder. I rolled my eyes. Would they confess for my sake any time soon? They started to get on my nerves with their couple-ish (there is no law forbidding to invent new words) actions.

I took a deep breath. Getting angry lead to nothing. “Fine,” I sighed and apologised to Ryeowook. My room mate smiled sheepishly at me. “Forget it. It's my fault for barging in unannounced.”

Then why the hell had I to apologise?! I shot a dirty glare at Freaky Horse. He blinked innocently at me. Innocent, my . He was a conspiring arsehole. I liked him. Just don't tell him or I'm gonna kill you. Else he had something against me.

What do you want?” I asked again.

Ryeowook shifted from one foot to another. “Well...,” he started unsure. “You see, there's this stage coming up for the annual Honour Ceremony in three weeks but one of the lead performers had to drop out last-minute and...”

And?” I probed when I felt him hesitating. I ignored the bad feeling in my stomach at his nervousness. My room mate cleared his throat. “Since there's a hole left wethoughtyoucanbethesubstituteandsingforhim,” he said so fast I didn't get all of it. Just 'you', 'substitute' and 'sing'. It was enough to get the gist of it. I was smart after all. “No,” I said firmly before one of them could utter another word. “No,” I repeated more forcibly when I saw the stubborn look in my room mate's eyes. He wasn't giving up. “Why not?” he whined and grabbed my hands. Was he planning on proposing to me? “You have a nice voice, Kyu. Why not using it?”

I won't sing in front of anybody,” I replied hotly.

You sang for me,” Ryeowook reminded me. I gave him a look. “You had a nightmare. It was the only way to calm you. Beside, I had a test the next day.”

You have nightmares again?” Siwon cut in sharply. He looked worried. And a bit upset? Whatever. Go and comfort him, I thought. And while you on it, confess. I'm starting to get stomach aches by watching you two.

Ryeowook turned to him. “I' don't!” he said quickly. Was it just me or sounded he scared? “I just watched a horror film the night before,” he explained and made me frown. Say what? He didn't watch anything. We played a game, had our usual good night talk and that was it. So why did he lie? I caught his gaze and was surprised at the bare fear and the desperate plead to stay quiet. I nodded faintly. Never would I tattle on someone. I had my principles. But I signified that later on he had to tell me the reason for this lie. Ryeowook lowered his head.

But you don't watch horror films,” Siwon pointed out, suspicious clear in his voice. Panic flared in my room mate's eyes. I helped out. “Yeah,” I agreed. “None of us do. We played truth or dare and one of his dares was to watch one. He was pretty scared,” I grinned evilly. That was true. Ryeowook had chickened out by the most non-threatening dares like running down the whole floor in briefs. Definitely blackmail material.

My room mate huffed. “I wasn't,” he denied. “You scared me several times during the film. Of course I hadn't stayed unaffected.” Who said he couldn't act? Maybe he should switch from a cook to an actor. He played the 'Lie shamelessly' act perfectly, hands down. I see an award coming his way.

Blame it all one me,” I snorted and pushed the broken test tube in his hands. “Here, clean this up,” I ordered. “You've ruined my experiment. That's the least you can do.”

Does that mean you take the role?” Ryeowook asked excitedly.

No.” It was kind of funny to watch his expression fall. His puppy eyes were another story though. Damn it, I thought I was immune to those things. “I'll think about it,” I added with a heavy heart. The smile that spread over my room mate's features challenged the sun. “You're the best, Kyuhyun!” he exclaimed and hugged me to death. I hadn't agreed yet.

 

֎֍֎

 

It happened when I was sitting alone on a table far in the corner of the cafeteria and sipped on my Chai latte (cause Chai latte is amazing). From my position I had the best view. It became my ritual to order a warm drink and wait for Ryeowook so we could eat together. Cause, you know, eating alone wasn't in style and looked pitiful from the outside. Except you're a super cool hot guy or girl and being admired by dozens. Sadly, I'm none of it so I spent my time with my tasteful and warm Chai latte. Much better than some company.

Out of boredom I observed the people scattered around. A group of three boys hanging in their seats, heads close together and arms slung around the one in the middle. The two girls at the windows who played 'feed me'. It looked like a typical school day and yet something didn't fit. I pondered and pondered, dissatisfied with the dead end I faced. And only after half an eternity it started to make click in my brain. Slowly I understoond what Jaejoong was trying to say back in the garden. The problem were the people. Suddenly every fault stood out: the way the two boys had their arms slung around the much smaller one in the middle, the fear visible on his face; one of the girls at the window holding a banana and ing it in her partner's mouth who had tears in her eyes. It was all so clear now.

Bullying.

And the worst kind of it.

So it's like that,” I mumbled, finally discovering more pieces of the puzzle. My eyes darted to the entrance where a commotion took place. I raised an eyebrow at the scene. It looked like a football match – American style. Two teams burning to fight each other. Did I miss out something? A school rivalry I slept on? I got my answer when a familiar raven haired appeared and gestured for one group to break up. Even from afar I detected some reluctance but it vanished after words spoken I couldn't hear. Leadership lied in him, it seemed. We made brief eye contact, enough to bring me to a decision. I waved at him, a clear sign for him to come over. He raised an eyebrow but followed nonetheless. With an elegance I haven't quite figured out yet he slid in the chair opposite of me.

Bullying.” I threw the word in the room before he could say something. “That's what you wanted to tell me with your stupid riddle.”

Jaejoong sniffed. “It wasn't stupid,” he protested playfully but turned serious again. “You decided?”

I gave him a pointed look. “I did the moment I waved you over. Now, fill me in.”

Jaejoong gave a strained smile. “Before the announcement bullies were careful, not really daring in case they turn into social outcast. But after it they had the best excuse. If one asks they'd say they like him or her, or that it was for practice. So none continues to question. I've experienced it in an all boys school. The weaker ones were ually abused, mistreated and no one would listen to them. Why should they? It's common for boys to get ual frustrated so it's all right if both sides agreed. Teacher and students alike pretended every assault was mutual. Wicked, isn't it?” Jaejoong asked and snipped a bread crumb to the floor. “And continues here on. It doesn't matter if you're 'famous',” he quoted with his fingers, indicating what he thought about the people on top of the hierarchy, “once you've become one's prey there's no turning back.”

His last words hit something. One's prey... My eyes widened in fear. No, it couldn't be! Don't tell me that jerk intended to make me feel like trash, a toy he could play with. Only over my dead body! Wait, not even then I'd allow him to touch me.

Jaejoong seemed to have noticed my inner turmoil. He squeezed my left arm. “Don't worry, Kyuhyun. As I said before, I make sure nothing happens to you.”

I calmed down at his reassurance and let out a breathy sigh. “It's not like I can't defend myself,” I mumbled. “I just don't wanna get distracted by someone like him while I have to study.” Keep telling yourself that, that annoying voice in my head whispered. I turned to the raven haired man. “This academy is all about hierarchy, right? Who got the most power, influence, talent, et cetera.”

Jaejoong nodded slowly, probably thinking where the hell I was going with it. “Then I just need to find someone higher in the ranks than that jerk as an ally!”

I waited impatiently for Jaejoong's reaction. He just stared ahead, brows furrowed and a finger drumming on his lips. Bet fangirls would be giving thousand to have this moment captured in a photo for eternity. Maybe I should open a business. Lucrative for sure.

Then, suddenly, a wide smile took over Jaejoong's face and his eyes twinkled. For safety caution I put some distance between us. This couldn't mean anything good. Jaejoong focussed on me, the maniac grin still on place and jerked me up. I protested loudly when he dragged me away from my comfortable relaxing place and my amazing tasting Chai toward the arts department – the symbols were still as ugly and childish as the first time I saw them – and into a music room. I wondered why he let himself in that room when it clearly said 'please do not disturb'. There was a reason why such signs were created.

Anyway, skilfully ignoring the fact the room was occupied we marched in and Jaejoong placed me in front of the person who was diligently working on something. Out of the corners of my eyes I deciphered words and notes. A song? What it was about, I wondered. My thoughts fled though the moment the other lifted his head and stared me directly in the eyes.

Crap.

Scary dude.

Oblivious to the atmosphere in the room Jaejoong spread his arms and grinned, “Kyuhyun, meet G-Dragon aka Jiyong aka the scary dude, Bigbang's leader, known as the Iguana Idol. In real life he's a fluffy puppy,” he added with a wink. That earned him a disapproving glare from said 'fluffy puppy'.

You hang out with Seunghyun too much, Jaejoong,” Jiyong scowled and crossed his arms. Fluffy puppy? I blinked several times but I couldn't see any relation. Scary dude fit better. Scary dude with a fringe he seemingly forgot to cut and accidentally tipped it in a pot of green dye. No fluffy puppy; except... nowadays there exist puppies with asymmetrical fur in dyed green. Then I might reconsider my impression. “Or maybe it's him who hangs out too much with you,” Bigbang's leader continued. “I can definitely see you urging him to use those words just to get on my nerves.”

Jaejoong eyes turned huge. “I wouldn't dare such a thing, Jiyongie,” he said innocently. I snorted. His acting . Scary dude shared the same thoughts if his raised eyebrow was anything to go by. “Sure,” he drawled and shifted his weight from one side to the other. “So why are you introducing me to the blind-for-the-world-kid?”

Excuse me?” I spluttered and glared at Scary Dude indignantly. “Am I not allowed to think some things through? If you haven't tried you may not know that thinking demands a high level of concentration, therefore it's not possible to watch every step when you want an exceptional result!”

Both Jaejoong and the insolent brat – yes, you hear me, I decided to change his nickname after this... this utterly ridiculousness stared at me speechless. “What?” I gifted. “Never seen someone defending oneself?”

A little sassy, ain't he?” Jiyong directed his comment at Jaejoong who made a fawn gesture. “He gets a bit salty when his intelligence is being questioned. ...He is sharp tongued though,” he added after a pause and smirked. “That boy got fire.”

Bigbang's leader scanned me from head to toes. I grew uncomfortable by his intense gaze. “So I can use him to keep Seungri in check.”

Jaejoong shrugged. “He's acting up again?”

I only say VVIP.”

Oh my, that exceeds everything.”

I coughed to gain there attention. “Excuse me.” Both turned to me. “The don't-ask-concerned-person-you're-using-part aside … you do know your sentence was invalid?” I addressed G-Dragon. “If you meant to only say something than you should have just said 'VVIP' and not put 'I only say' before it. That kinda ruins it.”

G-Dragon raised an eyebrow and ce again (oh the joy of being ignored!) to Jaejoong. “Is he always such a nitpicker?”

The raven snickered. “He complained about people's mentally challenged brains before if that answers your question.”

He's worse than Seungri. Keep him.”

Wow, so human traffic was common in this mental asylum. Good to know. Maybe I'll be able to find someone who'd take Shim jerk away. That would make my life much easier and less complicated. And I wouldn't end up in prison for murder.

I didn't intend on trading him with your youngest,” Jaejoong made clear. “Actually, I thought you may put a protective hand over his head. He got in some kind of trouble so he needs a protector.”

G-Dragon's gaze wandered to me. “What kind of trouble?” he inquired.

I scrunched up my nose. “For your information, I didn't run into trouble but trouble itself.”

Who's trouble?”

Ah, so despite his lack of correct word choices he got some brains. “The biggest arsehole on earth aka the jerk aka the warlock aka Shim ing Changmin,” I introduced the misery of my life.

Impressive nicknames,” Jiyoung grinned.

Thank you.”

I won't ask what happened. Considering your attitude before you aren't the type to proclaim loudly what happened to you,” Scary Dude who didn't seem that scary anymore stated. The next words he spoke slowly as if he wasn't sure himself he really said them. “Fine, I'll play your guardian game. Under one condition.” He held up one finger. Great. There were always some kind of stupid rules. What original idea does he have? Should I play slave? Towel boy? Servant? Punchbag? “If I hear through the grapevines that you abuse my influence in any kind of way you'll leave this academy faster than you can say 'bye'. I show no mercy to those who betray my trust.”

I gulped. I take back my words. He was indeed scary. Definitely the kind of leader I won't oppose against. Wouldn't be surprised if his band suffered under his dictatorship. At least I got someone who stood higher in the hierarchy than the jerk. That should give me some puffer.

Thanks, Jiyoung, I owe you,” Jaejoong said with gratefulness in his voice. “Let me know if you need anything.”

For now I need my peace,” G-Dragon huffed. “Be so kind and leave.” He made a shooing gesture that wasn't hard to understand. With a bow I said goodbye and was pushed out the room by the ever so calm Kim Jaejoong. I'll reveal his secret life one day. Nobody's safe.

 

 

 

______

I'm sorry for the long wait. I'm busY with university till Christmans so free time is rare - more like nonexistent lmao. Hope you enjyed it <3