Memories.

My Life!

 

Memories

Wanda was a sixty years old Japanese woman who was the head of the sports department. Rather than in her bureau she was found outside on the sports grounds. The paper work was done by her assistant who apparently became stressed out by the amount of work and requested for a week of absent and resulted in Wanda having a foul mood. It was the day she'd caught me sneaking in the fitness room to meet up with Junho. What a coincidence. Believe it or not, instead of cell phones we used pieces of paper to communicate. We decided on it after I'd received a thank you note the next day after the eventful 'in the night through the woods' with Junho's name on it, or rather the nickname I gave him. We agreed on specific places where we could find the notes. In other words we established a sophisticated system for communication and it worked well. For us.

Wanda was fierce but kind. The kind of teacher I'd loved to had in school. Well, I had that thought till she ordered me to do the paper work. When I protested she threatened to inform the headmaster I've been trespassing. That's a little too much but what could I do? Teacher or student, boss or employee, adult or child; it didn't matter who spoke the truth. In the end it was always the person with more power that won. So I obeyed and took over the role of her assistant.

Why am I telling you this? Cause without her abusing poor me as a slave I wouldn't have found out I'd been terribly deceived. Ryeowook chipped in saying I'm over-dramatic (this trait belongs to Heechul, damn it) but what does he know? So let's take a step back in time to the roots of my abused trust. It all started with me agreeing to be the substitute singer Ryeowook begged me to be...

I was thinking over it for three whole days, pondering if I should or not take on the challenge. Yes, I considered being on stage as a challenge. After the whole deep and emotional talk with Junho I came to the embarrassing conclusion that I indeed was afraid. I didn't intend on exploring where this fear came from cause then the whole skeleton of my confidence would be shaken up and I couldn't allow any insecurities stepping in. Else that jerk got more attack points and I still don't wish to fulfil his intention regarding me. So taking all this into account I decided to turn my squishy fear into a challenge and thrive through it victoriously. Therefore I was on the search of my room mate and friend Kim Ryeowook who seemed to have vanished in thin air.

Instead I met Jaejoong. And here the deceive of poor me started. Of course I told him about my plan. The more, the merrier. Against my speculations he looked a bit worried but promised nevertheless to help with the localisation of Ryeowook's whereabouts. Strangely, it didn't took long after that we found my room mate. He was currently in a discussion with an older woman I guessed was his professor. With a small gesture he motioned us to wait. Which we did.

I glances suspiciously at Jaejoong. “You didn't perhaps install a GPS on everyone connected with me, did you?”

The raven haired snorted. “You watch too many agent films, Kyuhyun. Some are skilled in finding others while some aren't.”

Was that an insult?”

Only if you take it as one.”

Argh, you're as annoying as that Jung Yunho!” I complained. I didn't notice Jaejoong's expression froze. “Whenever I said something he answered with a reversed question. I almost got grey hair because of him and narrowly escaped another attack from the evil squad.”

You spoke with Yunho?” Jaejoong inquired, tone slightly off. I rolled my eyes. “That's what I told you seconds ago. Really... are you even listening?”

What did he say?”

What does it matter?”

Just answer my question, damn it!” Jaejoong flared up. I was a bit taken aback. But I wasn't Cho Kyuhyun for nothing. “You're not gonna talk like that with me, mister,” I said and hold up a finger. “I'm not obliged to report everything to you. I know you wanna help me and I appreciated it but I control my life, no one else. Understood?”

Jaejoong stared at me, long and intense. It was to a point it made me feel uncomfortable. Just when I thought I'd break out in sweat his gaze softened and he let out a long sigh. ”You're right, I'm sorry,” he apologised and run a hand through his dark hair. “I don't know what's wrong with me. Guess I'm a little stressed out.”

It was a lame excuse but I saw the signs when someone didn't want to go deeper. I let it slide. Still, my curiosity couldn't be deemed so I tried my luck. “But what's with you whenever the name of that crazy dance maniac comes up? You turn all edgy and nervous.”

Jaejoong shifted his weight. “I'll tell you once it makes sense for you to know.”

I clicked my tongue in disapproval. “You avoid touchy subjects well.”

The raven haired grinned. “Do I hear some envy?”

Dream on, Mr. DBST.”

Now I hit a nerve. Well, payback appears whenever it liked to. “How come you're friends with that fake curled hair diva?” Jaejoong wondered while we watched Ryeowook bowed and turn to us.

Heechul is a great person,” I defended my best friend. Speaking of him, I wondered where he was. I actually haven't seen him after the collision between Jaejoong and him. “Though he is difficult sometimes. But it depends on the person he meets.”

So you're saying it's my fault?” Jaejoong sounded offended.

Well, you two are more alike thank you think.”

We don't share any similar trait!”

I snickered. Oh, this was fun. Who knew there was such joy in teasing those two. And a sulky Jaejoong was definitely a sight to see. I really should open a photo business. Fangirls and fanboys would pay any price to get their hands on these rare moments. I was pretty sure Jaejoong was cautious on only showing his 'Ice Prince' appearance. I could feel the urge to laugh out loud bubble inside me. Ice Prince. No matter how often I hear it I just can't take it seriously. Maybe I would have if I didn't know Mr. Perfect Face's real personality. I stopped my dwelling when Ryeowook was in hearing range. “I got news for you!” I called and waited patiently till my room mate arrived. Honestly, I wasn't eager on telling him my decision. A part of me just wanted to skip that part and talk about void matters. Problem was Jaejoong. He knew my plan so I couldn't run away. Guess that's why I told him beforehand. Gosh, who knew I'd be that scared? I definitely needed to fight that. “What news?” Ryeowook asked once he stood in front of me. His eyes flitted over to Jaejoong who stood quietly at my side. My room mate and friend still wasn't happy about my decision about hanging with the jerk's worst enemy but he accepted it. When I asked him why he begrudgingly confessed he wouldn't want to take away anything that made me happy. Wasn't Bangs just too cute? A bit cheesy (Freaky Horse was to blame) but nonetheless endearing.

I thought about it,” I started. Better coming straight to the point then beating around the bush. I took a deep breath. No turning back. “I'll do it.”

Ryeowook blinked like a sleepy owl. Guess he hadn't caught on. Damn, and I was all dramatic. Wasted effort. “The substitute singer,” I added quite annoyed. “For the play on the Annual Honour Festival.”

Now it made click in Bangs' head. Seriously, why was he slow when he shouldn't and caught on so fast when I didn't want him to? “For real?” he questioned, eyes sparkling. His excitement was so pure I couldn't – even if I wanted to – take back my words. Just the thought alone of hurting my friend didn't sit right with me. Ain't I sensible? “You're really doing it?”

I nodded but added:“Under one condition: no strange surprises. I'm gonna act and sing how I see it fit, got it?”

Of course, of course, “ Ryeowook nodded. He hugged me tightly and squealed, “you're truly the best.”

That I agree.

Do I get a briefing?” I asked after the excitement wore off and I was able to pry the clinging koala off of me.. “Cause I have no clue what to do.”

Ryeowook grinned and patted my shoulder. “Don't worry. Siwon will explain everything to you tomorrow. Ah, I can't wait to see his face. And if he gives you a hard time tell me. I know methods to make him be more willing in making compromises,” he chuckled, a scary glint in his eyes. You know, the one you fear being directed at you cause the owner of that look had maniac tendencies. Now I actually feared for Freaky Horse. “No need,” I turned Ryeowook's offer down. “I'm sure Siwon will help me kindly.”

Siwon?” Jaejoong cut in and drew both of our attention on him. “As in Choi Siwon, the one in the theatrical performance section?”

Ryeowook nodded. “Yeah, why? Is there a problem?” His voice became slightly cool. Ah, protection your childhood crush, I see. Perfect drama material. Maybe I should submit a script to a television network. Make money where you can.

Jaejoong shrugged his shoulder. “No, not really. Just curiosity asking,” he answered nonchalantly. I narrowed my eyes. After spending a certain amount of time with him I could kind of depict any sort of lie. My dear pseudo Ice Prince hid something. Again.

Ryeowook on the other hand settled with that explanation. “You wanna practice the day after tomorrow? The next meeting is not until next week. So we have three days to make you familiar with the lines.”

I shrugged. “I guess. Practice doesn't harm, right?”

Ryeowook smiled broadly. “I really can't wait for the festival. It'll be fun for sure.”

You're helping?” I turned to Jaejoong who seemed in his own world. He jumped at my sudden question. “Eh? Uh, well, I'm kinda busy, yeah, and actually a friend asked me for help. Sorry.” And with that he whirled around and marched away. I stared after him with an open mouth. “What the hell was that?” I exclaimed.

Ryeowook huffed. “You've been right. That wasn't 'Ice Prince' style at all.”

And that was me being deceived by Mr. Perfect Face.

 

֎֍֎

 

Even without Jaejoong Ryeowook and I practised the parts of the script I either spoke monologues or appeared through actions. Freaky Horse was more than ecstatic when Ryeowook and I came to see him. He asked for me to sing a bit and while I felt utterly uncomfortable and embarrassed I did (with closed eyes though) and sang a few notes from a song that randomly popped in my head. After the last not I waited anxiously for a reply only to feel two heavy hands clutching my shoulders. I opened my eyes to see a very serious looking Siwon staring at me. This expression was more than disturbing. “You're a masterpiece, Kyuhyun,” he stated. Wow, that was a big compliment. The next minutes Freaky Horse filled me in briefly about the whole musical – it was called Mamacita – how it was about catching a thief who'd broken out of prison and various events and people occurring that made the whole catch funny and interesting. My role was the one of a gambler (fits me well I must say) and forge out plans to gain the most outcome of the whole drama. I won't tell more cause that would spoil the whole stage. I was relieved to find out I wasn't a main character, less spotlight on me. Lucky me.

I think you'll do fine in the next rehearsal,” Ryeowook stated confidently. “You memorise your lines quite fast and play your role like a second skin.”

I laughed haughtily. “I'm not a genius for nothing.”

My room mate rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah. Your awesome. Anyway, I need to complete a recipe for tomorrow so I'm leaving. You have no class today, right? Why not visiting the sports ground then? I remember you not being there yet. It'll could be helpful, too.”

For what?” I inquired, not seeing the connection between musical and sports.

Ryeowook sighed. “Kyuhyun, it's a musical. Therefore you're going to dance if it slipped your mind.”

D-Dance?” I stuttered. Okay, that was a factor I didn't calculate. I never danced before – professionally.

Yes, dance. And dancing requires stamina. And where to get it better than on the realm of the sports department. Not to mention many dance-orientated groups are being found there as well. Good luck.” He waved me goodbye and I was left alone with the biggest shock of the day. Dancing? How the hell was I supposed to dance? Scratch that. Dance professional so I wouldn't make the choreography look like crap? I've never learned any moves nor was I interested in it. The only dancing I did was the one on the way to the bathroom were you move your legs and arms. And I doubted that kind of choreography happened on stage.

I was doomed, or so I thought. In the middle of my self-pity an idea flashed in my mind.

Junho.

Sometimes I was rather stupid. Why not using the connections I had for my own good? Junho knew how to dance and must've got some tricks for me to master the choreography I'd be introduced to soon. Satisfied with the plan I forged out I put it into action and wrote a note to my probably-saviour and got an answer the next day. And with that we come back to the actual event of me being Wanda's slave.

That's all for now,” she said and took the documents I handed her. Some data about the attendees coming to the sports grounds regularly and for what purpose. The usual data research to create some statistics. “I'll call you when I need you.”

I bowed in respect and intended to leave the office, my prison, when I was called back. Oh, oh, was I going to be murdered? Did I make a mistake in gathering the data? Or was the layout not correct? I didn't have to panic though. Wanda smiled (a sign of satisfaction) and said, “You've worked hard. How about I give you a little round around my realm? Haven't you mentioned that you need to built up your stamina? The versatile facilities here will be some help, I'm sure.”

I blinked at her, not really processing what she said. First, she was punishing me for sneaking into the fitness room and now I was allowed to go in there? What sorcery was this?

Nevertheless I took the head of the sports department upon her offer and even made her show me around. You know, if for some reason in the future I needed to know the way around.

The whole area was well planned out. No thoughtless scattered facilities. Every sport had its own niche so none gets in each other's way. Very efficient. We strode by the golf club as well as the volleyball and handball field. While it looked cool it were still ball sports so I decline to ever participate. Moving ball equals life endangered and I value my parents' gift. Sadly, we weren't finished visiting the ball sports section. We reached the basketball field and that's where I stopped. Not because I was suddenly interested in throwing a ball in a basket which was ridiculous high and I won't reach in a hundred years. I stopped because of a figure that looked similar. My eyes bulged out when I realised who it was. That was unity's leader, no mistake. What was Jung Yunho doing here? Wanda grinned at my confused face. “You don't know, do you? The sports ground aren't just for the sports department. After school activities are hold here, too. That guy over there-” she pointed at Yunho, “has a real talent for basketball. Such a pity he's in the dance department. Such a waste. As if dancing demonstrated the sweat and hard work you do to reach your goals.“ The way she mentioned Yunho's occupation showed her dislike for it. “Have you tried recruiting him?” I asked. Wanda shot me a glare. “What do you think I've been doing, huh? But he refuses, saying his loyalty is with his dance group.” Here she made her dislike face again. “Not fair,” she added and I got a full view of her sulking face. It creeped me out. Elder people shouldn't pull those faces. My eyes turned to unity's leader who'd broken the opponents' defence and was on his way to make a point. I was surprised. Even on a basketball court he was intriguing. I didn't even notice the other players. One's attention zoomed in on him and him alone. If that ain't charisma I don't know what is.

Loud cheers a bit farer away caught my curiosity. Wanda sighed. My, my. She wasn't the happiest person, was she?

Another example of eye candy belonging to someone else,” she muttered and directed me to the tennis court. There was currently a single match going on. I blinked, and blinked again. Not sure I was seeing right I pinched myself and yelped in pain. Wanda mustered me. “You okay, kid?”

Couldn't be better,” I grinned though my eyebrows twitched. So it was like this, huh? Besides having a face to die for, the ability to cook (if I trusted his own judgement) and a rich family (he has to if his father was a sponsor) he was good at tennis, too? My temper exploded. “Kim Jaejoong!”

The star on the field flinched and missed the ball. Disappointed calls filled the air. Reluctantly he turned around and waved sheepishly at me. “Yo, Kyuhyun. What's up?”

Don't 'what's up' me!” I snapped, ignoring the looks I got from the people around.”What the hell are you doing here? You said you had important business to do! That's what you call business?”

Oh, I was fuming. That guy ditched me for tennis? The shame. I couldn't believe it.

Jaejoong scratched his neck. “Well, you see... a friend of mine asked if I could help out and yeah...” He lowered his gaze on me.”Not good enough?” he questioned with a puppy look I bet many fell for. But not me.

I clenched my teeth. “You bet.” Seconds later I had him in a headlock. He wouldn't get away with it. The crowd around was shocked. Wanda just crossed her arms. “You know each other?” she stated in a deadpan voice. No , Sherlock. When none of us answered immediately she motioned for the other players to go back to their positions. “Doubles first, then singles!” she shouted and everyone shuffled away. No one messed with her. Rumours said she was a former box champ. “So?” She directed her attention back on us.

This coward here ditched me for tennis,” I huffed and made Jaejoong yelp when I tightened my grip. He struggled to get free but I was clever and hold a handful of hair. “Sensei, pull him off, please,” Jaejoong begged and grimaced. “He's a violent little – ouch!”

I had pulled his hair.

You were saying?” I smiled sweetly at him. He pouted. “Meanie.”

Your cute act doesn't work on me,” I replied confidently and freed him. “You're coming with me. Now.

Jaejoong rubbed his head. “Don't wanna,” he replied childishly and jutted out his lower lip. What the- did I miss him turning into a five years old?

You've got some nerves,” I growled and tugged at his hair once again. “Do I look like some push-over to you, Mr. Perfect Face?”

Wanda had watched our quarrel in silent interest. My theory was she couldn't understand a word we were saying considering we didn't spoke in Japanese nor in German, except the times we were addressing her. Far from it! “Neither of you are wrong or right so stop this fuss. You're not in kindergarten, are you? Or should I break you part?”

That made us split in seconds. Rumours aside, she really did had the built of a boxer. I feared for my intact body not being, well, intact anymore after her intervention. Wanda smiled. “See, not that hard, is it?”

Both Jaejoong and I grumbled some incoherent words. The raven haired sent me a half-hearted glare as he fixed his hair. It stuck in all directions. Funny sight. I had to grin at his helpless tries to undo the mess I caused. “It looks like a bird's nest,” I couldn't help but mock and earned myself a hit on the head. “One more word and I'm making you regret challenging me,” Jaejoong threatened. I wasn't scared though with Wanda by my side. And she just came to my rescue. ”Don't be all gangster again, Kim Jaejoong,” she scolded him. “I thought I trained it out of you.”

Jaejoong puffed out his cheeks. “Not this again, Wanda,” he complained. “Let me off the hook just once, please?”

I'm not a teenage girl. I won't fall for your acts.”

I snickered at the baffled expression on his face. I shut up though when both Wanda and Jaejoong turned to me. “You should behave as well if you don't wanna do paperwork till late in the evening,” Wanda warned and sighed. “Seriously, boys. You two are like Tom and Jerry.”

We're not!” both of us exclaimed indignantly and just proved her right.

Anyway, just help that poor boy out,” Wanda said to Jaejoong. “You're usually a helpful soul.”

Exactly,” I cut in. “Especially cause I'm a little pressured here. I need to practice everything in two weeks what others did over two months! I need some helping out.”

Jaejoong sighed. “Fine, fine. As long as I don't need to meet those people in the theatrical performance section.”

I frowned. “Why? Got some beef with them?”

Something flashed over Jaejoong's face, regret? Wanda cleared . “Just accept it and go. Don't you need to practice?”

Begrudgingly I did as I was told, Jaejoong close by my side. I noticed the stares we got while crossing the tennis field. Curious, disdainful, unsure. Every expression possible was gathered. Seriously, I must've missed a memo or so.

I mean it,” Jaejoong broke the silence. I cocked my head to the side. “What?”

The second someone else except your room mate comes I'm out.”

I rolled my eyes. “Since when are you so shy? Really.”

The same goes for your best friend. I swear, if he ever says something about my skin tone again I'm gonna smash his nose.”

Now I was taken aback. “Hold your horses! You're really strange lately,” I stated and ducked my head in order to avoid a flying ball coming my way. I told you tennis was dangerous for one's life. Not being bothered by the sudden danger for my very important asset to escape this mental hospital alive I continued with my eyes set on any possible flying object, “in both your speech and actions. You never me as the violent type.”

I walked a few more steps till I noticed no one was beside me. Jaejoong had stopped in his tracks, eyes glued to the basketball court. I turned around, confused by his sudden quiet. “Something wrong?” I asked but got no answer. A frown appeared on my forehead. What was with this strange behaviour now? Is it possible that for one day, one freaking day, nothing unexpected happened? I was tired of changing to different never stopping situations. “Jaejoong, speak with me,” I ordered, annoyed. Just that moment sudden shrieks filled the air. They sounded disappointed. My attention wandered to where Jaejoong was staring and found the team Jung Yunho wasn't playing for celebrating. No clue what about. Though that wasn't the curious thing. No, the curious thing was Wanda's praised star standing stock-still in the middle of the field, front facing us. I may not know much about sports in general but I'm certain that's not what you're supposed to do during a game. Funny thing was even from here I could see shock and surprise playing 'catch me' on Yunho's face. At first, I though it was directed towards me. I mean, I did mention I found every physical activity (except swimming) boring and totally nonsense and my very being presented on the sports ground didn't fit in the picture. When I thought it over and cleared my head I came to the conclusion he had no clue I was a sport pooper. That's when I noticed Unity's leader wasn't gazing at me but a certain not-long-ago-transformed-into-a-statue person. I watched with growing interest as all colour was drained from Jaejoong's face and he looked paler than the white walls in the science department. Was he feeling unwell? Or couldn't he handle the stare of a star in this academy? Before I could think any further the raven hair had swirled around and grabbed my arm. With a force and haste I haven't seen on him he dragged me away, the uneasiness coming off his body in waves. My protests fell on deaf ears, as well as my argumentation the opposite way was shorter and therefore food was closer. No reaction. Fine, food wasn't priority number one then.

I turned my head back just to see Crazy Dance Maniac leave the court briskly in the opposite direction. Okay, this became weirder and weirder. And what the hell was I being dragged into?

 

֎֍֎

 

Most people see the world in black and white. A view so boring it's no wonder they rarely find joy in living. I remember a poet who once said Most people don't live, they just exist. It's true, isn't it?” Jaejoong turned around, his hair floating in the soft breeze. Yunho was caught up in it for just a moment. Then he got himself together.

And you?” he asked. “How do you see the world? Gray?”

Jaejoong smiled. “I see the world in colours. Be they bright or dark. They can't exist without the other. Brightness can only exist because there's darkness to make it stand out.“ He stepped closer. One hand touched the man's cheek and caused goosebumps all over his body. “That's why,” Jaejoong whispered, eyes soft and tender,”it's okay for you to be cold and antisocial. To be angry. I fill the parts you lack. I'll be the brightness to your darkness.” There was a moment of silence, then Jaejoong laughed embarrassed. “Cheesy, right?” he asked and looked up at him, cheeks tainted red. Yunho shook his head, losing himself in the other man's eyes.

'No, beautiful.'

 

Yunho jerked up, chest heaving, breath flat and short. That was not right, it just wasn't. Why the heck was he dreaming about something stupid? Again. Couldn't it be more exciting, adventurous? A part of his new life? Him playing in Fast&Furious? Why going back to the bridge connecting past and present? Was it because of them meeting eyes back at the sports ground? After all, it was the first eye contact in ages. A sigh escaped his lips. There was no time to dwell on that, to be bothered. Not when the competition waited around the corner. It didn't do good.

The competition.

Suddenly, Yunho was wide awake and rushed to the showers and back. Practice, they needed to practice. His eyes travelled to the clock on his night stand. Two hours before lessons started. Enough time for their usual routine. Quickly, he made it to s' locations. Lucky him could just sneak in their rooms without disturbing anyone. He shook Changmin and earned a dissatisfied grunt. Yunho smiled. Unconscious the younger male displayed the cuteness he hid desperately over the day. A shame.

Changmin,” he whispered, eyes darting to 's room mate. Thank god Minho was a heavy sleeper. “It's time to get up. Hurry.”

Said guy mumbled something incoherent and turned away. Yunho sighed. It was always the same. Waking up the sleepyhead was a task very few people liked to do. Yunho saw it as his duty; he was their leader after all. “Breakfast is ready,” he murmured close to the other's ear. Changmin's eyes opened in a flash. He quickly turned around to see Yunho standing over him with a smile. His question what was being served vanished. “Damn, you,” he cursed and stumbled out of his bed. “I had a nice dream, y'know?”

Yunho ignored the hushed whine and motioned for the other to hurry up so they could get down to business. “Hurry up, we don't have the whole day.”

Changmin sent him a dirty look. “Just so you know, I'm grumpy. Not my problem if the others complain.”

Yunho rolled his eyes and pushed their youngest out the room. “Yes, yes, if His Highness would be so nice as to move his royal I'd be deeply grateful.”

Unity's visual shuddered. “You spent too much time with Siwon, that crazy guy.”

Don't badmouth my friends,” Yunho lectured and left the room with the warning if Changmin wasn't ready when he returned there'd be hell awaiting him. Satisfied with the forced cooperation of their visual he headed to his next target knocked on the next door habiting Kim Junsu and Kim Jihun, the Kim Twins. A nickname given by fans. Reason was their similar sharp dancing and the unconscious support they gave each other.

As expected there came no answer. Once again Yunho wondered why his group had to exist of nothing but sleepyheads except Jason and himself. The other beat them all when it came to meeting up in the practice room. Changmin hold the strong believe the youngest lived there. It was silly but Yunho wouldn't dare tell that their visual in the face. The tallest always sulked when his smartness was being questioned. And a sulky Changmin wasn't very enjoyable. Not to mention he became uncooperative in every way and dance practice turned into a hell ground. Speaking of the devil Changmin appeared behind him and marched right into the room. Seriously, sometimes that boy got no manners. “You're coming?” Yunho's current chagrin called and didn't even bother to lower the volume of his voice. Not that it mattered. Both Junsu and Jihun continued to sleep soundly. If he was honest Yunho wasn't keen on waking them up. The day he got the news about the accident made his heart almost leap out his chest. He'd feared for the worst but luckily his team members only got some scratches. Well, Jihun suffered a bruised bone and while it had been treated immediately the doctors advised him to keep as much pressure as possible away. Yunho took the words serious but Jihun stated he was alright and it didn't hurt anymore. To prove himself he'd danced their latest choreography till the end without showing any ounce of pain. Still, Yunho was worried. He didn't want him to worsen his condition. Though he couldn't do much if their substitute leader claimed he was fine. The sudden flash of light made him flinch. Changmin clicked his tongue. “You're spacing out,” he stated and proceeded on waking Junsu up. The boy had grunted when the light was switched on but refused to open his eyes. Jihun on the other side quietly sat up and rubbed his eyes. “It's time?” he yawned and stretched his arms. Yunho nodded and handed him his toothbrush and paste. In the mornings he was like a little kid who couldn't take care of himself.

Annoyed exclamations from Junsu's bed turned his attention to the Tom and Jerry couple. Jason had given them the name after he watched the same-titled series. Since then it stuck with those two. And Yunho had to admit it fit Junsu and Changmin well. They were always bickering (good-naturally, of course) and insulting each other.

Time to get going,” Yunho announced after everyone was ready, “Jason's probably waiting.”

That boy is way too enthusiastic,” Changmin complained and padded down the floor and stairs to their assigned practice room. The rest of the group followed quietly. They saved their energy for the following strenuous hours. To no one's surprise they found Jason already set to go. Yunho was amused about their youngest dedication. His energy transferred over to them and gave them the motivation to carry through the exhausting practice. Until it was too much.

I'm sick of staring at myself,” Junsu complained at some point and demonstratively turned his back to the mirror covering the whole wall opposite the door. “”I wanna see something else.”

What, you're missing your dolphin family?” Changmin and swiped his wet bangs out his face. Junsu huffed, too tired to answer. “I'm sure we can drop you off by the ocean when we go to the next competition. I'm sure your relatives will be more than happy to talk to you in dolphin language.”

Yah!” Junsu protested and made a hitting gesture towards the second youngest. “You'll lose without my fantastic dance moves and charisma on stage.”

Changmin snorted. “In which delusional world do you live? We have Jihun hyung who can substitute you and Yunho hyung is the real charismatic one.”

Hyung!” Junsu complained and turned to Yunho who'd listened to the usual quarrel between their Tom and Jerry couple in silence. He had waited for Junsu to call him. It was always the same. When he had no retort he asked him for help. And on cue the self proclaimed charismatic dancer whined, “Tell him off, hyung. You're the leader. He listens to you.”

I'll listen to everyone but you,” Changmin mocked and grabbed for a water bottle on their supply bank. “Humans don't listen to dolphins.”

Hyung.

But Yunho didn't listen anymore. The bickering had brought up a memory he didn't know was hiding under the layers of experiences in his life.

 

Jung Yunho, our leader,” Jaejoong applauded and added playfully, “You're sure it fits your little kid personality?”

Yunho glared at him. “Who's the real kid between us, huh?”

Jaejoong grinned sheepishly and hold his hands up in surrender. “Just kidding.”

Jason looked confused, very different from the cocky attitude he displayed in front of the fans. “Why's Yunho hyung a child? He acts like an adult.” Junsu and Jihun nodded, sharing the opinion of their last addition two months ago.. Yunho smiled at the synchronisation. No wonder the fans called them the Kim Twins. Though his smile turned into a scowl when the sound of broken laughter reached his air. His gaze flitted over to Jaejoong who enjoyed himself way too much. There were even some tears in his eyes. Yunho clicked his tongue in mild disapproval. It wasn't that funny.“Watch out you don't fall on your face,” he said dryly and felt satisfaction when Jaejoong stopped immediately his self-entertainment.”You wouldn't catch me?” he questioned, suspicion and shock transparent in his voice. Yunho shrugged. “You were making fun of me.”

Jaejoong rolled his eyes and jumped on unsuspecting Junsu who was the closest to him. “Junsu-yah,” he wailed, “look at him. Now that he's officially our leader he's become arrogant and won't even bend a knee to safe a precious team member.”

Yunho hyung wouldn't do that,” Junsu disagreed with a frown. “He's fair and kind, the type of leader everyone strives for.”

Jaejoong pinched the other's cheeks who let out a squeal at the sudden physical affection. “Ain't you precious, my little dolphin.” He turned around to Yunho. “Be glad Junsu's here or else I'd have held the grudge for a long time.” Yunho was way too amused over his friend's dramatics to clear up the misunderstanding. Not that he really needed. The twinkle in Jaejoong's eyes told him enough. “The best leader one could ask for,” the raven winked and turned back to the mirrors. “Come on guys, let's watch our still intact appearance being shattered into pieces by the ruthless practice methods of our precious leader.”

 

Precious leader,” Yunho mumbled to himself, not aware of the others' stares. “Back then I was, huh...” He looked in the mirror that covered the whole wall. How many people stood right where he did and wondered about the 'what ifs' in this world? What if I'd listened more closely? What if I'd said yes instead of no? What if I had taken action instead of just looking?

Hyung?”

Yunho turned around to find Junsu staring at him. “Thinking of the past?”

No.” The answer came faster than a bullet being shot. A reflex, a defensive mechanism. “Just about the competition.” He took a deep breath. He couldn't slip off. “Come on, guys. Another set. And Jihun, take a break. For my sake. I really don't wanna carry you any of these days.”

The other rolled his eyes but followed the plead nonetheless. “Way too worrisome, way too worrisome. Our tiger, tamed by a kitten, turned into one itself.”

Yunho ignored the last words. He couldn't and wouldn't think about them. The dream this morning and the spacing out minutes ago had been enough. More disturbance he wasn't able to take.

 

 

__________________________

The first POV change. Well, it's time to make some process in this story, And I must say this time I was pretty fast with updating. I'm proud of myself lmao