Let Me Walk Away

Life After You

 

I stared at the stack of papers in front of me, “Holly, all I have to do is sign this?”

My blonde hair blue eyed friend looked up from the papers she was holding, nodded then turned her attention back to the papers.

“Nothing else? Just a signature and my civil status falls back to single.” I tapped the pen on the stack of papers, with one hand carrying my chin.

“He agreed to split, did he not? Just sign it. When he signs it, your marriage is over.” she pointed her pen from me to the papers.

I heaved a sigh, “Well... we're both dirtying our names by doing this.”

“But you're both wasting your time in a marriage that you don't even want.”

“We DID want it just... not anymore.”

“Then sign the papers and get it over with.”

“don't we have to bring our lawyers and yell at each other like in the movies?”

“Honey, you both agreed on getting divorced because you do not think it's right to be together. You talked it over, he said he wants to leave you. Why are you still pondering on signing the divorce papers?”

I marked my agreement on the paper.

“Fine!” I said, “from this moment on I do not have anything to do with Mr. Jaejoong Kim.”

 

Who am I to break up my marriage with Kim Jaejoong, I hear you say. Well, first of all, I am his wife. But why would I do such a thing? Because what we felt on the first year of our marriage quickly fell apart. Lack of time together? Maybe. Just not feeling the love anymore? Possibility, 80% and the fact that I just brought up 'divorce' in anger and he immediately agreed, THAT is practically the strongest reason why I'm doing this.

 

In a relationship for 3 years, legally married for 2 and in love only for 4. That's what happens when your husband becomes a rising star and get anything or anyone he wants.

Flashback

 

2 weeks ago...

 

I looked at the calendar and a particular date caught my eye. “September 24th, 2nd anniv” it marked.

“Can't believe a whole year has passed” I sighed as I sat on the couch, “ a whole year and we haven't even spent a day together.” An idea entered my head and I dialed his manager's number.

 

The 24th day of September arrived and my husband, Jaejoong, lied on his tummy on our bed.

 

“Hey Jae~ got anything planned for today?” I smiled as I leaned on the door.

He shook his head and my smile dropped.

“Why not?” I asked hoping that he's just kidding and at the end of the day, he's gonna give me a huge surprise.

“Manager gave me a day off, quite thankful to him. I'm tired.”

“Oh, so you're just gonna lie around all day?”

“More or less... Don't you have anything to do?”

“Uhm... I thought I was but it seems like plans are canceled”

“Why is that?”

“coz the other party forgot.”

“Forgot what?”

“Nothing... I'm just going to have a walk.” I sighed and left the our condo.

I walked to the nearest playground.

“Ahjumma! You're here~” a little boy ran from his babysitter to me.

I caught the boy in my arms, “how many times have I told you not to call me that?” I giggled.

“Where's your husband?” he innocently asked.

“At home, resting.”

The little boy jumped off my hold and asked me to play with him.

After about an hour or two I had to leave.

“I have to go now, there's something I got to do.” I told him.

He pouted then let my hand go.

“I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you tomorrow, okay? I'll bring you candy and toys.”

He nodded cheerfully and waved goodbye to me.

 

I walked back to an empty home. A note on the fridge got my attention.

“I went back to the studio.” That's all that was written.

I felt a pang on my chest, he's really forgotten.

After changing, I went to where he was.

 

“Good afternoon” the staff greeted me left and right as I walked towards my husband's location.

When I reached the place, I saw him happily drinking with his buddies. Something he shouldn't be doing today.

I called his phone.

I saw them stop what they're doing and Jaejoong stood and went to the sound proof part of the studio.

 

“hello?” he answered.

“Hey babe, where are you?”

“Studio... didn't I leave a note?”

“We do have phones you know, you could've called me. Who are you with?”

“Well, I was thinking about work, didn't have time to call you. I'm with the staff.”

“Oh, are you guys working on a new song?”

“Yes. We're writing one right now.”

'”okay, I see... Good luck.”

 

I hung up and continued to watch them secretly through the door.

 

“Dude, your wife?” asked one man.

“Yeah, nagging as always. Asking where I was, who i'm with.” he answered irritably.

“Women are all the same.”

“I know right. Sometimes I wish I wasn't married.”

 

My chest constricted with his words.

But please say you think it's worth it.

 

“There are even moments that I'd wish she'd cheat on me so I can leave her with no regrets.” Jaejoong spoke.

“But you don't regret marrying your wife?” asked another man.

“at first I didn't but now I do.” he sighed.

“Enough about marriage, I called girls!” laughed another staff.

“Bring 'em on~” Jaejoong chuckled.

 

I quickly left the studio and went back to the house.

Without further ado, I grabbed my bags and stuck every piece of clothing I own inside. If he regretted being with me there was no point staying.

 

3 large luggage bags were enough to carry all I owned that were not given by him.

 

Hours later, I heard the door open. No greeting coming from the man.

 

He stood in front of our bedroom door staring at all the things I packed up.

 

“What's this?” he pointed.

“My things.” I replied not looking at him.

“Why are they in bags?”

“Coz I'm leaving.”

“Why?”

“Because you want me to.”

“What are you talking about?”

 

I ignored his question and grabbed my things.

He held my arm as I passed by him.

 

“What are you doing?” he spoke strongly.

I shook his arm off mine and proceeded to pulling my bags out of the room.

“YAH! I'M TALKING TO YOU.”

 

I pretended not to hear him and continued moving my bags.

 

Just as I was to get my handbag I felt his hands grab my shoulder and he made me face him.

 

“What the is wrong with you? What's with all these??? TELL ME.” his voice was raising and his eyes were unrecognizable. I no longer know this man I used to call my husband.

 

“Do you want me to stay?” I sighed.

He raised an eyebrow and looked at me like I was talking nonsense.

“Answer me. Do you want me to stay?”

His lips parted but no sound came out of it.

 

I shrugged my shoulders and went back to moving my things.

 

“Is it that time of month again? I don't understand what you're trying to-” he released a slight chuckle.

 

“I heard you in the studio... You regret being married to me.” my voice slowly getting softer.

 

He looked at me with wide eyes.

 

I turned to him and smiled, “You don't have to wish I'd cheat on you. I'll just leave if it makes you happy.”

“You were spying on me?” he spoke.

“I overheard you. I mean, I thought somehow you'd remember what today is and celebrate in the studio. Boy was I wrong. But I have great timing, don't I?”

“Damn it. You don't understand.”

“What don't I understand? That you no longer treasure our marriage? That you regret being with me? Tell me Jae, what don't I understand?” I felt my eyes sting with the words I spoke.

He just stood there watching me.

“Maybe it'd make you even happier to finish it off. Shall I file a divorce?” bitterness and anger took over me, causing me to say things I didn't want to.

“Go ahead.” he replied.

My head shot up and I saw him, his eyes were downright serious.

“Fine then, goodbye Mr. Kim.” I inhaled, grabbed my bags and headed out the door. Those were the last words I have said to him.