nine

Piles of Regrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When Han Sera opens her eyes the next morning, she’s surprised by the fact Cho Kyuhyun is sleeping in a seating position right next to her. She didn’t think he’d spend a night here to watch her, she never gets that much special attention from anyone but her doctors ever since she got here. And a kind gesture from her old friend is definitely not something she had in mind.

She tries her luck by lifting herself up and succeeds in the first try. Her strength is back now and she feels a lot better than yesterday. Sera takes off Taecyeon’s jacket that she’s been wearing the whole night and covers Kyuhyun’s body in it. He’s already sleeping in a super uncomfortable position, he doesn’t need to be cold also.

He's alert once Sera places the jacket on him, he opens his eyes and amazes by her beautiful face that’s now displayed in front of him.

“Good morning.” Sera greets him.

Kyuhyun blinks several times in order to collect his soul. “How are you?” he wipes his eyes and cracks his tired bones.

“Better, I can speak now.” She leans her back to the pillows behind her. “I didn’t know you’d stay. You could’ve sleep on the little couch over there.” She points the sofa on the corner of the room, “It seems more comfortable than the chair.”

“Woah, you definitely speak better.” He gets up and stretch himself more. He’s not gonna lie, his sleeping position last night was the worse one he had. “Shall I call a doctor to check on your progress?”

Sera shakes her head, “They usually do their morning rounds anyway.” She pulls her blanket closer, “About yesterday, thanks again.”

“I kinda feel obligated to take care of you.”

Sera seems to understand what he means. She’s sure Kyuhyun thought she crashed because she’s too shock to see him. it was right in a way, she was fine until he entered her room, but she doesn’t want him to feel guilty.

“Hey, what happened yesterday wasn’t because of you, Kyuhyun-ssi. I was already feeling bad the whole day.”

“I don’t get it, how could they let a patient out of their sight. You went outside of this hospital for god’s sake.”

She gives him her biggest grin, “I’ve been staying here for more than a year, I know when the security is the most lacking. I just slipped out in the right time.”

“Don’t do that. No more sneaking around Han Sera, you could’ve collapsed on the street.” He suddenly feels like he has a say in this.

Sera chuckles and realizes how much she missed him, her best friend that always afraid to break the rules. “You haven’t changed much, Kyu. Still the goody two shoes.”

“And you’re still the reckless irresponsible childish girl as always.” He rolls his eyes, “Do you even care about your health at all?”

“Did you just snap at me?”

“Ne! did you know how it was for me to see you fainted after you’re running out of breath yesterday? Or how it felt when I saw those doctor charged you with electric shock? Or be told that you’re an expecting transplant patient?” He storms his frustration at her. “I thought you’re gonna die yesterday, Sera-ya.”

“I thought that’s what you want.” Her answer was short but hits home.

“You think I hate you to the point I enjoy watching you dying?”

“You clearly enjoyed meddling into my divorce business.”

“I didn’t know it was you..”

“Bullsh*t. you knew it was us and you make sure to enjoy each and every moment to bring me down.” Now she’s the one that’s on fire, both of them notice Sera’s heart monitor beeping faster the hotter their argument become.

He raises his hand as a sign of giving up to her, avoiding any medical drama if he can.

“Did you tell him?” Sera can’t help not to ask her deep curiosity.

“I told you, I promised not to tell him about last night.”

“Not about that, I mean about us. Did he know that we knew each other?”

Kyuhyun sits back on his chair. He studies her face closely and shakes his head.

“Do you think I could accuse you comfortably if he knew we were once best friend?”

She lifts her shoulder. “Am I forgiven yet?”

“Ne?”

“I must have done something very bad to you. A sin that makes you turn your back to me, you didn’t attend my wedding, you changed your contact number, you avoid me in any way possible since we got back to Seoul, and as a to this, you happily volunteered to become my husband—ex-husband—divorce lawyer and made sure I don’t get a dime for my alimony..”

“I didn’t know you demanded that much money for treatment. If you told me earlier I would’ve influence him to give you at least half of what you’re asking.” A guilty feeling rush into him one more time.

“That’s not the point, Kyu. What’s done is done.” She takes another deep breath. “You have to tell me if I’ve made a mistake, that’s the only way I can apologize and try not to repeat the same mistake.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter