twenty five

Piles of Regrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Doctor Song was surprise when she sees Kyuhyun in her practice room early in her morning shift. She just let Han Sera go home for more than a week and Kyuhyun already appears in front of her, she can’t be in trouble again, can’t she?

“Before you ask, let me tell you she’s fine.” Kyuhyun bows a little and takes a seat in front of her desk.

“So what honor do I have to see you this early, Kyuhyun-ssi?”

“I have some questions about heart transplant.”

“Okay, what do you have in mind?” She crosses her arms on her desk.

“What are the chances that the new heart she receives won’t cause further complication?”

She looks for some files in her computer and turns the computer so he can see clearly. “This is the series of tests every donor applicant has to go through. As you can see, the heart size, the blood type, the bad poisonous habit such as smoking, the fat level in their blood, and I can go on to tell you all kinds of procedure each applicant has to complete before they’re declared ‘worthy’ of receiving a donor.”

Kyuhyun quickly reads Sera’s chart that’s displayed on the screen.

“For example a clean recipient will stand on the higher part of the list instead of a recipient with a history of diabetes or an overweight recipient. We also refuse to accept a recipient if we see a bad future coming along with the new organ, such as a possibility to have a for example.”

He gets the matter he needs to ask after she said ‘’.

“Well, I read somewhere,” He lied, he can’t point out a medical case based on his dream. “that there’s a possibility for a blood clot and that usually leads to instant . I’m wondering if that’s a possibility with Sera?

Doctor Song nods along, “There’s always the possibility for that, but we’ve prescribe a pill to liquefy her blood more during her treatment. This is one of our prevention to the blood clot that might occur later. As long as she takes her medication regularly until long after the transplant, we don’t have to worry about the clotting.”

There’s a slight relieve in his mind after he hears this. at least receiving a heart for Sera won’t be as disastrous as the one he had in his dream.

“She’s doing well so far, right?” She asks Kyuhyun for Sera’s condition.

Kyuhyun smiles and nods, “Much better than when she’s caged in here. I have to say I’d feel she’s safer here but seeing her happy face while she’s enjoying the weather outside, I think she’s happier to be out.”

Doctor Song smiles, “You have no idea. I took care of her from the start and she improved a lot in the past few months compare to her early treatment when she was alone. Please continue to support her, even when she gets tantrum please continue to cheer for her.”

“Ne, I will continue to do that.” Kyuhyun bows to her and bid his goodbye.

“Kyuhyun-ssi, if it’s too hard for you to handle, you can talk to me or doctor Kim. We’re ready to give moral support.” She adds to Kyuhyun before he leaves the room.

“Iye, thank you very much.”

 

***

 

During the time of day when Kyuhyun’s at work, Sera would spend her days the ways she always did before she’s gotten sick. She’s prepare breakfast for both of them, and after Kyuhyun left she’ll start dusting—this is as far as Kyuhyun allows her to clean the house, then she’ll start watching her favorite day time drama or read a book that interest her. During lunch time, usually a social worker will come and check on her. Her doctor team told her that this is a standard procedure for a patient that’s having an LVAD attach into their bodies and Sera just plays along with the rules as long as she allowed to get out of the hospital.

She was just reading some recipes when the bell rings. Sera takes a quick look at the watch and figures it’s time for her social worker to come by. The social worker changes every day for a reason she doesn’t know but since all of them are holding the same report chart, she doesn’t mind for the changes.

Sera walks to the front door and opens the door to let the worker in and she forces a fake smile once she recognizes the person in front of her.

“Han Sera-ssi? I’m your social worker for today, it happens to be my shift today.” Im Yoona bows, “My name is Im Yoona.”

Sera bows back at her and allows her to enter.

Sera leads Yoona into the house and allows her to sit in the living room before she offers if she wants something to drink, which Yoona refused.

Yonna begins to take out the basic equipment to check Sera’s condition and prepared the check list she needs to fill in Sera’s chart.

Han Sera can’t stop laughing cynically in her head. Heaven must be so bored so it decided to play a joke on her. She takes a look at the woman in front of her, with her beauty and poise, with the brilliant brain of hers and the good heart, Ok Taecyeon must be a very lucky man to have Yoona by his side.

“I’ll begin checking your blood pressure, ne?” Yoona round the cuff of her sphygmomanometer around Sera’s arm and begin to pump some air into the cuff.

Sera takes a careful look into Yoona and she notice something is blinking from her finger. It’s a diamond ring and a wedding ring.

She bites her lips to disguise a slight pain she feels in her heart. Sera hates that she got affected by the fact that Taecyeon actually followed her advice and married Yoona. It’s the right thing for everybody: Taecyeon doesn’t have to dwell in guilt towards her, Yoona gets her promised marriage, Kyuhyun doesn’t have to stupidly step back from her, and Sera doesn’t feel like she burdens everyone. At least that what she thought the moment she sent Taecyeon away from her life, it annoys her that sometimes her heart chose to think differently from her head.

“I will check on the bandage and your LVAD device now, please remove your clothes so I can check your scar.” Yoona continues the usual procedure.

Sera sighs. It’s one thing to have a social worker coming every day and checking on her, but it’s a different story if the one that’s doing that is the beautiful new wife of her ex-husband.

She hesitantly lifts up her oversized shirt and lets Yoona take a look at her scarred body.

She can’t help not to feel ashamed in front of her. As pretty as she is from the outside, Sera’s abdomen is so full of post-operative scars. On the bridge of her chest there’s an obvious scar she got from the open heart surgery she had, on her lower left abdomen is the scar that’s continuously being checkup since it’s the place where the LVAD cable popping out from the inside of her body, on her belly there’s the oldest scar of the C-section she got when she miscarried. She’s been avoiding to look at the mirror to examine her torso ever since she did her first open heart surgery. Having Yoona checking her scars today feels worse than staring into a mirror and Sera never felt so ‘’ and vulnerable before.

“You’re taking care of the wound perfectly, it doesn’t show any infection.” Yoona smiles at her and pulls Sera’s shirt back down. She then takes the chart and fill some in the boxes that she need to tick off.

Sera sit still and decided to watch her own feet closely as if it’s the most interesting thing in the room. She doesn’t have any courage

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter