thirteen

Piles of Regrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Since she collapsed, Sera’s condition has been worse and worse every day. Her doctors are fighting to get her a new heart but a donor hasn’t come just yet. The hardest part of being a transplant recipient is waiting, especially when the organ you need is not something that can be harvested from a living donor. While waiting, the best thing the recipient can do is survive in any way possible.

As for Han Sera, her doctor has suggested her to undergo a surgery—another surgery—to attach an LVAD device on her heart. This device will help her heart to pump blood for her and obviously will give her more time.

Kyuhyun was just arrive when Sera and her doctors are arguing in her room about the very device they offered her.

“No, doctor Song. I don’t want to get that device. I told you, if I’m done, I’m done.”

“Sera-ssi, please don’t be too reckless with your decision, you’ve been here for more than a year, we can’t just throw away your struggle down the drain when it’s just months away for you to get better.” Doctor Song raises her voice, it seems like she’s already tired encouraging Sera to hold on a little longer.

Sera takes a deep breath; she tries to figure out a subtle way to tell her doctor—whom she knew has helped her a lot—that she’s too tired to go under several more procedure. “Look, doctor Song, I do appreciate everything you’ve done for me. But as we both remember clearly, it’s hard to get a heart donor and even when I got one, it’s taken away from me. What can guarantee that the next heart available will goes straight into my thorax?”

“But you can’t just ask for a DNR when we’re this close!” doctor Song lost her patience. She’s been treating Sera from the beginning, and even she’s not supposed to, she’s become too attached to her. Seeing her favorite patient dying slowly without her doing anything is the last thing she was told in her medical school.

“She asked for what?” Kyuhyun step into their conversation. “Ya Han Sera!! are you crazy?!!” He knows what kind of form she asked, it’s the Do Not Resuscitate form—the form a patient that’s usually has gone to an ongoing battle with their disease and they demand their doctors not to do any procedure to help them to stay alive in case they crashed. It’s a way for patients to tell the doctors they’ve given up and they rather die instead of having tubes inserted into their lungs, and heart to support their life.

Doctor Song turns into Kyuhyun, she thinks this might be her last resort to ask someone else to encourage Sera to keep fighting the battle. “Can you please talk to your wife, she asked me not to help her the next time she’s crashing!”

“He’s not my husband, doctor. And no, he won’t help you. This is my decision.”

“Well, you’ll need a lawyer for that, good luck finding one.”

“He’s in front of you.” Sera points her finger to Kyuhyun. “Kyuhyun-a, please help me to prepare a DNR form, give that to her after I signed it.”

Kyuhyun steps closer to doctor Song while trying to suppress his rage towards his crazy best friend. “I’ll talk to her doctor and don’t worry, I won’t be her lawyer that prepares that crazy sh*t she’s rambling now.”

Doctor Song give Sera an annoyed look before she steps out of her room, leaving Kyuhyun and Sera alone.

Kyuhyun has no idea what’s been going on with her lately. She lost her appetite, she lost her interest in anything, she doesn’t read anymore, all she does was just lying helplessly on her bed. And today she asked for a DNR form, what is going on with her exactly?

“If you don’t want to be my lawyer, I’ll find another one.”

“WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOU?!” he lost it, he no longer can hold his anger. “I THOUGHT WE’RE FIGHTING TO GET BETTER, WHY THE DNR FORM SUDDENLY?”

“I’m tired Kyu, I can’t continue with this battle. I don’t want a machine attach to me to suppor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter