twenty six

Piles of Regrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

One hour after the call, Kyuhyun and Sera are both back in her room in the hospital. Doctor Song ran when she saw them earlier, she hugs Han Sera and can’t stop congratulating her for the matching donor. Soon after that Sera’s been asked to lie on the bed as her team of doctor begins surrounding her and taking samples from her.

“So, I’ll explain how the surgery will go.” Doctor Song stands on Sera’s end of the bed and begins her quick lesson to Kyuhyun, Sera and the rest of the doctors. “Doctor Park here is the one that’s responsible for anesthesia, you’ll be sedated for at least 4 hours. We’ll begin the procedure by a standard open heart surgery and we’ll attach machines in you to circulate your blood around your body and brain so you won’t reach a state of ‘brain dead’.”

Sera and Kyuhyun nods along, they’re not really concentrating on this crash course since they both are just too excited to get it done.

“Next we’ll remove your heart and put the new heart into your thorax. After we make sure everything is perfectly in its rightful place, we’ll defibrillate your new heart until it manages to beat on its own. Once that happen, we’ll stop the machine and your body will work on its own again.” She puts her hands together in front of her chest. “Good luck to all of us. We’ll be back in thirty minutes to bring you to the operating room Sera-ssi, prepare yourself.” She rubs Sera’s feet and smiles to encourage her.

The doctors then bow one by one to Sera and finally leave both of them alone.

“Kyu, will you comfort me?” She pats the side of her bed, asking Kyuhyun to lay beside her.

Kyuhyun takes off his shoes and lifts his body to lays on the patient bed, he supports his back with some pillows then rounds his arm beneath her neck so she can lean on his shoulder comfortably.

“Are you scared?” Kyuhyun takes her hand and plays with her fingers.

“Honestly?”

“Ng.”

“Extremely scared.” She sinks her face deeper into the curve of his neck. “They’re about to cut me open, of course I’m scared.”

“I believe you’ll be alright Sera-ya. You’re in good hands.” He tries to convince himself more instead of Sera.

“If it fails..”

“Ya! If you’re planning to go under the knife with the thought of dying, I’ll kill you myself.” He pinches her nose. “You will do awesome in there Sera-ya. You’ll take the new heart and you’ll get better.. much better.”

Sera takes another deep breath to calm herself.

“If you’re scared, just remember I’ll be waiting right here to greet you after it’s done. Once you’re used with the new heart, we can begin our own little adventure and you can teach me how to be brave so I’d do the bungee jumping you wanted.” Kyuhyun tries to be strong but he’s actually holding his tears in.

“But if it fails..”

“YA!”

“Please let me finish.”

“NEVER! You’re not allowed to say ‘goodbye’ to me. If you want to apologize to me or you want to thank me, do that after you wake up from the surgery.” He’s holding back for some more. “Only then I’ll take your words seriously. So make sure to come back.”

Kyuhyun can feel Sera’s tears on his shoulder and he’s no longer able to suppress his own.

“Okay.” She replies.

“Ne?”

“I’ll do my best, I promise I’ll do my best.” She sniffs her nose. “I need something to hold on to keep me here anyway.”

“I’ll be here once you open your eyes.” He kisses her forehead.

“With the best cheese cake you could find?”

Kyuhyun scoffs, even during time like this she still tries to joke around. “Once you’re declared clear by the doctors and you can go home, I’ll buy you any dessert you want.”

“And buy me authentic Italian pasta also?”

“Anything. All you need to do is return to me.”

Sera lifts her body and gets her face closer to his. She leans in and kisses Kyuhyun’s cheek several times before she finally lands her kiss on his lips.

“I love you, Han Sera.” Kyuhyun pulls her and replies her kisses. “How about ‘that’ as something to keep you here?”

Sera begins to smile, she knows how he feels about her yet this is the first time he really said it straight to her face. She lowers her face to kiss him one more time, if this will be their last kiss then Sera feels she can rest peacefully.

 

***

 

The light in the operating room has been lit up for the past four hours signing that there’s a surgery going on inside, yet the doctors hasn’t get out to inform Kyuhyun what’s going on. He’s been waiting restlessly and can’t stop looking at his watch.

He spent his time by stuffing himself with as much food as he could so he could be by Sera’s side all the time and not let a minute pass without him. After stuffing the food into his tummy, Kyuhyun take some time in the hospital chapel to kneel and pray for her full recovery, longevity and their future together. He wishes that by doing these he can set his mind at ease without being overshadowed by his nightmare. He knows this will be different, Sera is strong and she promised him to recovered, so he chose to believe her instead of his restless heart.

Kyuhyun stands up from his seat and begins to walk back and forth along the hall to clears his mind. The last thing he did before dragging his feet here was calling Taecyeon. He promised the man to inform him if there’s any good news about Sera and he just tried to keep his words. Taecyeon is in Tokyo when he called so he’s not expecting him to come and accompany him.

The light finally lit off so Kyuhyun hustle to come nearer to the door, waiting for anyone to come out from that door to tell him the result. Doctor Kim and doctor Song gets out from the frosted glass door, bows to him and remove their surgical mask.

The look in their faces has brought instant calmness in Kyuhun’s mind.

“Congratulation, the surgery went very well.” Doctor Song offers her hand to Kyuhyun which he takes immediately.

“Thank you Doctor Song” he then offers his hand to doctor Kim, “Thank you doctor Kim.”

“The operation went longer than expected because we had to remove the LVAD, but she’s a real fighter and the new heart beats beautifully in her right now.” Doctor Song can’t help not to shed a bit of happy tears.

“Ne, and we’ll put her in CICU for at least two days for observation.” Doctor Kim adds. “We can’t let her out of our sight for the next few days because even she gets a healthy heart, her critical condition hasn’t passed yet.”

“Iye, take as much time as you need to make sure she gets well for sure.” Kyuhyun pleads them.

“We will.” Doctor Song convinces him. “You might want to take some rest now Cho Kyuhyun-ssi, she’s still unconscious but all of her vitals are great.”

Kyuhyun nods, “Can I see her?”

Doctor Kim chuckles, “You must be very worried. You can see her from the observing glass but no one is allowed to enter the unit yet, not until she’s conscious and we check her.”

“Ne, arraseo. I’ll just stand by the window.”

Doctor Song signals Kyuhyun to follow her so he can put on the special scrubs that he must wear inside the intensive unit. After he’s done putting all parts of his costume, he walks deeper into the unit and finally reach Sera’s place.

He’s holding back his desire to open the door and stand closer to her. Kyuhyun takes a good look into Sera, even though she’s now surrounds by several machines Kyuhyun’s relieved that the huge blood pumping machine is no longer attached to her. Even from a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter