The Tree Of Death

I'm Hell's Angel

"Kai?" Kris knocks on said male's door, tapping his foot against the wooden floorboards that make up the ground as he waits for some sort of reply.
It's 9:30AM, he reckons that Kai will be awake by now, he usually is. He's either awake and moping about in his room or trying to get Sehun to come out of his, and since there's no Sehun he must be here.

"Kai, open up there is something important that we need to show you!" Kris shouts through the crack in the door, holding onto the note that was left behind by Sehun. Meanwhile Tao just stands by his side watching as his mate does all of the work.

"Maybe he's not in?" Tao suggests as he runs a hand though his hair, sighing softly as he does so.

"He has to be. It's still early in the morning and you know that Kai isn't a morning person, we’re normally lucky if he’s out of bed before the afternoon starts. Plus D.O hasn't been around in ages so he's not in there with him doing anything. The only time I've actually seen him leave his room is if he's tried to talk to Sehun, and we know what's happened to him. He's in there alone....KAI OPEN UP!" Kris turns his attention back to the door as he calls out for the male again, dropping the conversation he was having with Tao.

"Move over." Tao lightly pushes Kris to the side as he speaks, before pushing down on the brass door handle.

"What are you doing, that's rude. What if D.O actually came back, what do you think he would say if we just suddenly burst in there? They could be doing anything, Tao!" The older of the two males says, grabbing onto the other's wrist as he does so.
Tao just shakes his head before pushing the door open, ignoring the other's point about D.O being back. He wouldn't be? Why would he?

It's dark when they enter the room, but they are able to make out the flickering outline of a figure standing in the middle of the room, Kris has the initiative to flick on the light. They blink a couple of times, eyes adjusting to the extremely bright light that fills the room. No one really knows why Kai has such a bright light in his room, but most of the time they try to ignore it.

But Kai isn't the one in the room, actually he is nowhere to be seen.
The two boys go from staring at the person, if you could even call it that, in the centre of the room, to each other, only to look back at the figure again.
Why is the person flickering like that?
How is he even there?
They're dreaming, right?

"Luhan!?"

-------------------------------------------

"I'm dreaming right?" Kai asks, refusing to believe that what he sees in front of him is true.

Why had it come to this? Sehun knew that he had everyone here for him, to help him. But he just shut himself away and this is what has become of him. He's died for nothing.

"WHAT HAVE YOu done?!" Kai starts shouting at his friend's corpse, but his voice breaks mid-sentence, tears threatening to spill over.

"What has this achieved?! Hmn?! What did you do this for?! You still had everything to live for Sehun!"
He finally rips his gaze away from the swinging corpse, now focusing his attention to the twigs that scatter the floor.

"I-is this what K-Kyungsoo wanted me t-to come here f-for? D-did he want m-me to find you?" He directs his questions towards the ground, watching as the mud soaks up the tears that leave his eyes.

'Kyungsoo wouldn't do that to me though, right? Why would he? He loves me, doesn't he?' His mind starts swimming with thoughts, all of them related to Sehun and Kyungsoo.
'Why would he leave for days though, if he really loves me? Why would  he just take off like this? He loves me. He loves me. He loves me....no. He wouldn't do this if he loved me.'

"Why h-have you done this?!" Jongin yells at the ground, kicking at one of the stray stones as he does so.

"Why is th-this happening?! W-why is my wh-whole world crashing down?!" He finally brings his head up to look at Sehun again, taking in the full sight of his dead form. His pale skin, the red rope burn that peeks out from under said item. But there's one thing that stands out as unusual, he looks peaceful.

"S-Sehun. Why do y-you look so p-peaceful when you d-died so h-horribly?" Kai can't stop his words from breaking up as he speaks, holding back sobs as he does so.
He wills away the tears that want to spill, wiping away at his eyes with the palms of his hands. He needs to be strong.

"You really are an idiot, Sehun. You went to Luhan didn't you? But why? I know you loved him, but you've left me. I needed you, ya know. Why do you think I tried checking on you every day, even though you shut me out every time?"
As he speaks to himself, he moves to stand under Sehun's corpse, looking up at him as he speaks. He notices that just to the side of the younger male, there is a small step ladder that's its side, he must have used to get himself up there and then kicked it away so he could....join Luhan.

He bends down to stand the step ladder back on its legs, reluctantly he then stands up straight before stepping onto the ladder.

"You deserved a better death than this, Sehun. You really did. You should have died peacefully in your sleep one night, like I did back on Earth."
As he says this, Kai reaches up and starts untying the rope that's attached to Sehun from the main branch of the tree.

"This is the Tree Of Life, Sehun. Not the Tree Of Death. Why would you come here to do it? Are you trying to tell us something?"
He manages to untie the knot after about five minutes of struggling with it, it falls away from the branch, gravity immediately claims Sehun’s body, trying to send him tumbling to the floor, however Jongin quickly wraps his arms around the cold male's torso, catching him before he even had time to hit the ground.

Sehun's head lies to the right side of his body, revealing the dark red and purple marks that the rope has left all around his neck. Jongin refuses to look at them, as he climbs down the ladder dead body in hand.
Once back on the ground he carefully lays Sehun onto the grass covered ground, fighting back the tears once again as he looks over him.

"Can I be an angel of Sehun instead of Exo? Can't I be your guardian angel? If I was your guardian angel I would have failed, though right? This still would have happened no matter what because all you cared about was Luhan. He took up your whole world...I wish Kyungsoo was more like you but why would he want me to see you like this? You always had the answers, I wish you were here to tell me them now."
Jongin kneels to the side of Sehun's head as he speaks. He decides that he should remove the rope completely, Sehun shouldn't have this around him permanently.

"Why did you wear the necklace of death? It wasn't your time, Sehun." He speaks softly as he removes the rope, tossing it to the side to join the roots of the tree.
It's now that he notices that Sehun's neck broke during his death, causing his head to lay in a funny position.

"Did this happen when you jumped away from the ladder, or because you were struggling? How much pain were you in?" He asks, turning Sehun's head to one side as he does so, in an attempt to get a better look at his broken neck.

However what he discovers is that the left side of Sehun's face and neck is marked with some sort of black lines. Jongin traces his fingers over them before trying to rub them away, but they won't rub off.

"What on Earth is this?" He mutters to himself, trying to figure out what they are.
"Sehun, these look like demon marks. Why do you have them?" Jongin had learnt about these once from Kyungsoo. According to him once a demon dies their marks will come up, or if you were tainted by one just before death they will also appear. But they don’t always work and sometimes they are shown as a mistake.
Jongin prays that they are a mistake.
Sehun shouldn't have them. He can't be a demon.

"You wouldn’t hide something like that from me, would you?” He shakes his head softly as he says this, turning Sehun's head back so that he's facing upwards.
"I can't leave you here, can I? Let’s put you to rest with Luhan."
Jongin slips one arm under Sehun's legs and the other under the middle of his back before lifting him up, coming to a standing position at the same time. One of Sehun's arms falls limply over his body, the other hanging off to the side of him as Jongin begins to walk.
He doesn't take his eyes off of Sehun's face as he walks down the hill, he can't get the thought of how peaceful he looks out of his head.

"I've never seen you this quiet and peaceful, Sehun." He laughs softly, thinking back to times and memories that he has shared with the other male, most of them consisting of him, Sehun and Luhan all together playing some sort of stupid video game, going skateboarding around the dorm or arguing over something pointless.

"We never did settle whether fried chicken is better than sushi or not. I'll let you win that one, okay? That’s the least I can do."
He smiles softly, but it soon fades as he finds himself facing the steel doors that lead into the dorms.

"Time to pronounce you dead to the world, Sehun."