Chapter 1

Blood Difference

The Hunter

She stood in the night at the bus stop all alone, tolerating the strong wind that stung when it blew against her rosy cheeks. Left with a few shillings and a large trench coat that hang on her small body, she stood there, with incoherent thoughts. She did not know where she could go. Perhaps to their family friends? She hesitated at this thought. What if they were also attacked?

Her life wasn’t nice and simple. What she could do now is to run, run to safety and hide herself well. That would be what her deceased parents wanted her to do. Gui Gui reached her hands into the inner pocket of the coat and felt for something.

She heaved a sigh of relief: Luckily, it’s still here.
Gui Gui managed to curve her lips into a small smile. The precious item was still there, safely in her trench coat.

However, she wasn’t confident if she could keep it safe with her for long. After all, she was just a girl with no powers like what the vampires possess and no strength like what the vampire hunters were born with. What she had was an heirloom that could bring her danger and she felt herself cursed for that.

Then, there it was, a pair of headlights shining from afar. The night bus.

‘At long last!’ She thought with gratitude.

The bus screeched to a halt before her and she hopped on clumsily as the trench coat was hindering her movements.

The bus was pretty empty and cold. She walked towards the rear where several passengers were seated. A couple huddled together, sleeping soundly. A middle-aged woman sitting by the window, wearing a grumpy look. She did not look friendly.

Just then, someone waved at her. It was a girl near her age, waving and smiling at her. She had big eyes, short black hair and fair complexion. She looked friendly and most importantly, harmless.

‘Hi, I’m Wu Xiong. Wanna sit with me? It’s a long and boring ride.’ The girl smiled as she spoke.

Without hesitation, Gui Gui took the empty seat beside Wu Xiong. She wasn’t used to rejecting others, especially an angel-like girl. Just as she was sitting down, one of her shillings fell out of her pocket and rolled onto the floor.

Her vision followed the rolling coin as it rolled across the floor to another seat before it stopped.

Gui Gui POV: There you are! Bet you can’t escape from me!

Just as she was reaching out her hands for the coin, another hand grabbed it instantly.

Gui Gui: Hey! What’s the matter with you……

Gui Gui’s words hung in the air as she looked at the man who took her coin. He was a handsome chap. He had fair complexion and deep eyes that seems to have looked into Gui Gui’s soul. Gui Gui did not even noticed his presence until now as he was sleeping all along, hiding his face underneath the magazine named ‘National Geographic’.

Without a word, he handed Gui Gui the coin. His fingertips came into contact with Gui Gui’s outreaching palm. His fingers were so cold, icy cold and this sent a shiver down Gui Gui’s spine.

Gui Gui POV: A…vampire?

She retracted her hands at this terrifying thought.

Without another word, she retreated back to her seats as though nothing had happened.

Wu Xiong: *Smiling sweetly* You haven told me your name.

Gui Gui: Oh I’m Gui Gui! Nice to meet you. *Offers a handshake*

Wu Xiong: *Returns the handshake* Nice to meet you.

Gui Gui: Are you very cold? Your hand…

At the corner of her eyes, Gui Gui thought she saw that handsome chap stirred. He changed his sleeping position so that he is facing the window. Gui Gui was easily distracted by his movement but she managed to force herself to stay focused on the conversation with Wu Xiong.

Wu Xiong laughed: Yea, indeed I am! It’s chilling. So, where are you going? The next town?

Gui Gui: I…I don’t know. I have no idea yet…

Wu Xiong: Why don’t you come with me? I am alone anyway.

Gui Gui: Oh….I….

Before Gui Gui could answer Wu Xiong, the night bus came to a screeching halt. Gui Gui slipped out of her seat and collapsed onto the floor.

Gui Gui cried in pain as she acquired multiple bruises while falling.

Wu Xiong exclaimed: Gui Gui, are you all right?!

Gui Gui: I’m…..fine…. *trying hard to get onto her feet* I think…I sprained my….ankle.

Just when Wu Xiong was about to help Gui Gui up, someone knocked her down with a long sword that was not drawn from its cover.

Wu Xiong fell back but she managed to grab hold on one of the handles with her agility. She quickly recovered her standing position. She turned to look at her attacker, now sitting handsomely on the seat, looking at her. It was the handsome chap who had been sleeping all along.

Gui Gui POV: He….he really is…a vampire?

Gui Gui shouted out to Wu Xiong: Wu Xiong, run!

Just then, Gui Gui heard shrieks and screams coming from the other passengers. Within seconds, she found the reason for the abrupt stop of the bus.

Gui Gui muttered: Vampires…

Two pair of them got onto the bus, sneering and sniffing their prey. One caught hold of the petrified driver and sank its long and sharp canines into the driver’s neck. This made Gui Gui sick.

She turned to Wu Xiong and exclaimed: Wu Xiong, run!!

To her surprise, Wu Xiong did not move a muscle. In fact, she looked neither surprised nor shocked by the non-human intruders. She just stood there, staring at the handsome chap.

The handsome fellow spoke, calmly: I will deal with you after them.

With that, he jumped over the seats and headed towards the vampires.

Gui Gui: Wu Xiong! Wu Xiong, run for your life! They are vampires!

Wu Xiong bends down and smiled: Don’t you find that guy handsome?

Gui Gui asked in bewilderment: What? That guy who had been sleeping all along? He’s a vampire too!

Wu Xiong laughed: Nah, he’s not. He’s a vampire hunter.
Gui Gui: How did you know he’s not a vampire?!

Wu Xiong smiled broadly, revealing her long, white and sharp canines: Because I am….
-----------------------------------------------------------