Chapter 4

Blood Difference

 

Savior

Gui Gui gave a yelp of surprise: Ahh!!

She wanted to run and to drag the unconscious Aaron away from the creature but she can’t seem to move an inch. She was petrified with fear.

Just when Gui Gui thought that that was the end of her and Aaron, the vampire’s act surprised her.

The vampire gave a great laugh: Haha! Gotcha!

His teeth resumed to the normal size and shape as he gave Gui Gui another smile.

Gui Gui was puzzled and astonished by his act and was too loss for words to reply the vampire.

The vampire waved his hand right in front of Gui Gui’s eyes: Are you all right? We got to get him to safety first, all right?

He then looked at Aaron’s wounds: His wounds look kind of serious, but no worries, I can fix them.

Whatever the vampire said did not penetrate Gui Gui’s mind as she was too stunned for words. Her eyes fixed on the unconscious Aaron, not knowing what to do.

The vampire spoke again: Well, I guess…you are scared out of your wits huh? By the way, I’m Xiu. Let’s get going.
Reckoning that Gui Gui is not in the mood for self-introduction, Xiu carried Aaron and ushered Gui Gui with him towards his car.

Not knowing what to do and who to ask for help, Gui Gui could only follow the vampire to safety, even if it is an absurd idea.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Aaron groaned in pain as he felt his wound stung. The pain was unbearable though he was used to injuries.

Aaron opened his eyes weakly and what came into sight was Gui Gui’s anxious and worried expression.

Gui Gui: You are awake! Aaron! How are you feeling?

Aaron: Gui Gui….

Aaron shifted his view and landed his eyes on the mysterious man who stood behind Gui Gui.

Xiu: There, told you he would be fine. I can fix any wounds and injuries in a jiffy.

Aaron reached his right hand into his pocket and without warning; he threw a pocket knife at Xiu, who escaped the attack just in time.

Xiu: Hey man! Relax all right! Truce, truce….

Gui Gui: Aaron! Relax!

Aaron was too weak to get off the bed but he silently cursed himself for not being able to hurt Xiu.

Aaron: You are a vampire. Get lost before I kill you!

Xiu said casually: Well, not to offend you but I don’t think you have the ability to kill me yet. Though I certainly know you could, after you have recovered. But that’s not the point here all right? The point is, I have saved your life and this is how you treat your saviour?

Aaron: Shut up!

Gui Gui tried to appease him: Aaron, calm down. Xiu really saved you. He did not kill me when he had the chance to and he wouldn’t have saved you if he meant harm, right?

Xiu: Yea and mind you, I guess I have offended let say….all of the vampires just because I saved you, you know?

Gui Gui POV: Well, I think Wu Xiong is not offended. She might even thank you.

Aaron frowned and lean against his bed while questioning Xiu: Who are you?

Xiu: Well, I am a vampire, which you already know. My name is Xiu, Chen De Xiu. Well, that’s all. I don’t have an exciting background to discuss with, not like the two of you.

Aaron and Gui Gui exchange glances and both shared the same thoughts about this mysterious vampire.

Aaron: Why did you save me? Shouldn’t you be killing me after I have disintegrated your vampire mates?

Xiu gave a short laugh: Nah, they are no mates of mine. I act alone and do whatever I like.

Gui Gui: I know.

Xiu looked at Gui Gui and smiled: Well, I don’t fear hunters and I don’t hate vampires. I’m just….neutral you see.

Aaron: But you do have the thirst for blood, don’t you.

Xiu: Well, only when I’m hungry. Come on, you don’t eat when you are full right? Vampires are the same. I’m not a polar bear. I don’t eat a lot and store all the food for digestion during winter.

Gui Gui gave a small smile at his joke while Aaron remain solemn and suspicious.

Acknowledging Gui Gui’s reaction, Xiu said: At least someone here has a sense of humour. By the way, you are Gui Gui right?

Gui Gui nodded: Thanks for saving us.

Xiu: Well, where do you intend to hide it?

Gui Gui was puzzled by his question: Hide?

Xiu: Your precious heirloom

Gui Gui was stunned for words by the sudden exposure of her cursed purpose in life.

Aaron asked with cautious: What heirloom?

Xiu scoffed: You don’t know about that?

Ignoring Xiu’s comment, Aaron looked at Gui Gui with his deep eyes: Was that what you were going to tell me in the motel?

Gui Gui nodded silently.

She then turned to Xiu and asked, frowning: How did you know about it?

Xiu: Of course. The heirloom is what all vampires seek for and it is with you, a vulnerable human. Why do you think the vampires would attack the bus and track you guys all the way to the motel if they had only wanted blood? It’s your heirloom that they are after and lucky you, to have a hunter’s protection.

Aaron spoke quietly: What is the whole story about?
Gui Gui hesitated before speaking, with her voice as the only sound that echoed in the quiet room: To me….it is a curse…..
-----------------------------------------------------------