Chapter 18

Blood Difference

 

Separated

Large and heavy beads of sweat flowed down Xiu’s forehead as he tried his best to make his way through the woods. He could hear Wu Xiong groaning in pain as he piggybacked him.

He cursed himself for landing the both of them in this state and he wondered what would happen to him if it was not for Wu Xiong’s sacrifice.

However, he knew he would have no luxury of time to think of such thoughts and to cry over spilled milk. Thus, he trotted on, in hope of finding a shelter good enough for them to hide from further unexpected attacks.

Finally, after much effort, Xiu had decided to take shelter in a run-down house which he had just found as their last resort. After all, it would be dawn in a few hours time and he was sure he would not want to continue the tortuous and taxing journey under the sun.

He turned to Wu Xiong who was resting as she leaned against the wall. She was muttering something that Xiu find it hard to make out and thus, he decided to focus on her injuries instead.

‘As a vampire, you still heal quite slowly…’ Xiu said while scrutinizing the wound on Wu Xiong’s arm and abdominal region. Blood was oozing out slowly and her wound was healing at a speed slower than the flow of the blood.

Xiu: I have to think of something….

He tried his very best to concentrate on thoughts related to saving Wu Xiong. However, nothing but the fight that had occurred earlier on came into his mind.

He remembered everything details vividly but the most important detail surfaced easily to the top of his thoughts- how Wu Xiong had saved him by fending an attacker vampire away but was wounded in the end.

Xiu looked at Wu Xiong’s pale face. She was even paler than she normally looked. Frankly speaking, Xiu had never looked at her so closely and for so long.

He did not realize that Wu Xiong, too, is pretty. She had fair complexion, a sharp nose and her lips curvature was perfect too.

Wu Xiong was sleeping in an awkward way and Xiu tried to position her in a more comfortable position. Just then, something dropped out of Wu Xiong’s pocket and it caught Xiu’s attention.

He picked up the object and found himself staring at his own first canine. That was the necklace that Xiu had ‘given’ Wu Xiong.

Xiu felt a sudden wave of guilt and regret for what he had done on Gui Gui’s birthday when he mistakably lied to Wu Xiong about the gift.

Xiu: Did you save me because…you thought I….

Xiu signed and looked away, finding it difficult to look straight at Wu Xiong even though there wasn’t eye contact.

Suddenly, Wu Xiong jerked awake and she was coughing out blood as she tried her best to control the stabbing and stinging pain of the wound.

Xiu was alarmed by this sudden action of Wu Xiong: Are you all right?! Wu Xiong!

The horrifying sight of blood being coughed out finally ceases and Wu Xiong leaned against the wall weakly.

Xiu: Wu Xiong, Wu Xiong. Look at me! How do you feel?
Wu Xiong: I…………am I dying………soon?

Xiu tried his best to assure her even though his thoughts collate with hers: No, you are not. Besides, you are a vampire; you won’t die again, right? *forced a smile*

Wu Xiong: Xiu…….this *saw the necklace in Xiu’s hands* I…..is it too late to…..accept this?

Xiu shook his head vigorously: No, it’s not. Don’t speak now. You need to rest. Why aren’t you healing?

Wu Xiong: There’s… poison on the knives….. They used and it had…. affected my healing…. powers.

Xiu: Poison….Why didn’t I think of that?!

Xiu POV: Xiu…think quickly! What should I do to save Wu Xiong?

Just then, a thought strike him and he took out his pocket knife in order to create a long cut on his arm. Thick blood oozed out as he deepened the knife into his flesh. All he hoped for was for his plan to work as he endured the pain silently…
------------------------------------------------------------

Hebe: Aaron! Aaron!

Hebe called out as she awoke from her nightmare. She had dreamt about Aaron being killed by the vampire she hated most and she felt a great wave of relief the moment she realized that it was only a dream.

Aaron was still unconscious and it had been the second day since the attack. She was still brooding over the decisions she had come up with the previous night. Soon, it would be nightfall and Hebe knew she had to arrive to a decision in order to save Aaron.

----2 hours later----

Nightfall

Hebe had arrived to a decision and she stared at Aaron who was still unconscious and lying on the bed.

She stood up and pulled Aaron up into a sitting position before she could piggyback him.

No, she wasn’t going to turn him into a vampire. She was going to seek help. From whom, she have not decided yet but she knew she couldn’t just wait in vain for a miracle to occur. After all, her hopes for miracles had ceased ever since she was turned into a vampire.

Just when she was proceeding to the doorstep of the hut, someone spoke.

‘I didn’t know you hide this well.’ He spoke in a victorious and confident voice.

Needless to say, Hebe knew who the visitor was. She turned to place Aaron on the floor, leaned against the wall before she faces her worst fear.

Hebe: But you have found me. Jiro.

Jiro frowned: Hebe. You know how much concern I have for you. I had never felt like this to anyone before and you are the first and the last one. That’s why I vowed to love you forever.

Hebe: Forever! Did you even asked for my consent when you wanted to love me forever? Did I give you my consent to sink your canines into my blood vessels? No! I had never loved you!

Jiro’s frown became deeper as he looked at Hebe: Hebe, I saved you from the explosion. I saved your life and this is what you pay me back in return? I have told you, with the heirloom, we could both live forever and easier!

Hebe: I rather I had died in that explosion so that I could be spared from this pain right now!

Jiro: He *points to Aaron* was the source of pain! Not me! That’s the reason why he must die!

Hebe took a step to shield Aaron from Jiro: Get away from him!

Jiro: Hebe, you won’t want to do this.

Hebe: If you kill him, I will kill you.

Jiro: You won’t be able to kill me.

Hebe: Then I will kill myself.

Jiro glared at Hebe and Hebe stared back fearlessly.

Then, Jiro gave an easy push which sent Hebe hitting the floor. He then stepped closer to Aaron and lifted him up.

Hebe: Aaron….Aaron….

Jiro: Don’t worry, I won’t kill him yet. I will just bring him back. If you want to save him, find me first.

With that, he left the scene, leaving Hebe behind.

Hebe coughed and stared at the unconscious Aaron as he was being carried out of the hut, away from her.

Hebe: Aaron….I will save you…..
-----------------------------------------------------------
Sorry to all readers for not updating for so many days! Its due to my heavy school work etc. Still rying to get used to my new school life but i will definitely try to update more often! Hopefully can update tmr :)