Chapter 17

Blood Difference

 

Dilemma

Aaron could not believe his eyes and he did not expect to see Hebe under such circumstances, not when he was running for his life.

Aaron: Hebe…

Hebe walked towards the two of them, wearing a cold expression. Friend or foe, it was hard to tell. However, Hebe’s next gesture cleared the air of suspicion.

Hebe: Hurry up! This way! They are coming…

Without further ado or questions, Aaron and Gui Gui hurried after Hebe. The three of them rushed their way through the woods, trying hard to shake their pursuers off. They seemed to be succeeding as the further they ran, the quieter the surrounding became and there were no hint of any hostility around them. It was only the quiet woods.

Gui Gui slumped onto a big log which was lying on the ground undisturbed. She was panting so hard that she did not acknowledge the fact that Hebe had came to save them.

On the other hand, Aaron could not shake off this thought from his head and he fixed his gaze upon his ex-beloved girlfriend.

Hebe noticed the attention that Aaron had given her and she stood up to face him, ready to explain everything. However, to her dismay, the first question that came out of Aaron’s mouth was not to ask about her but to ask about their enemies.

Aaron: Who exactly were they?

Hebe swallowed the cold hard fact about Aaron ignoring her surprising show-up and she spoke with a clear and know-it-all tone.

Hebe: They are the followers of the most powerful vampires that had ever existed. What they wanted was your heirloom *Looked at Gui Gui*

Gui Gui had finally caught her breath and had realized the awkward position that the three of them were caught in. Deep down, Gui Gui wondered if Aaron still had a tinge of likeness or love for Hebe.

She also wondered if Hebe had come to confess her undying love for Aaron. Gui Gui can’t help wondering these depressing thoughts and she couldn’t stand the position she was in.

Aaron: So they were after the heirloom for their leader?

Hebe: Exactly. But they are a persistent lot. They won’t give up so you guys have to be on the run each and every moment.

Aaron: Wu Xiong and Xiu are still back there. We can’t and we won’t leave them.

Gui Gui nodded to herself quietly, reluctant to make her presence too obvious to anyone of them.

Hebe: I understand but going back there is too dangerous. You guys can’t risk the exposure right now. The two of them are vampires and I believe in their ability of taking care of themselves.

Aaron hesitated and looked at Gui Gui. Gui Gui knew the exact thoughts running in his mind.

Gui Gui: Aaron, don’t worry about me. Go check on them. I will be in good hands with Hebe.

Hebe looked at Gui Gui with a small tinge of jealousy and envy. She hated herself for not being able to know Aaron’s thoughts. She hated herself for being jealous at Gui Gui. However, Hebe knew that it was not the time for these unhelpful feelings to surface.

Aaron argued: No. Even with Hebe’s protection, you guys would still be in danger. Didn’t you see how strong they were? We might not be able to get ourselves to safety even with the combined forces of me and Hebe.

‘Yea, he’s right.’ Someone agreed but this person was definitely not Hebe.

Aaron turned and found himself looking at a man he most detested. It was Calvin. He was alone but he did not seem to be afraid. Calvin smirked as usual and his arrogant aura still accompanied him as he walked nearer.

Aaron: What did you do to my team mates?

Calvin: The two useless vampires? I guess you have to worry about yourself. They were not of much threat and I decided to let my man take them on. I guess they are already ashes now.

Aaron widened his eyes as he felt his anger rising. Gui Gui could not bring herself to believe in Calvin but he seemed so confident that it’s hard to find fault in what he had said. Despite feeling so, Gui Gui forced herself to deny what Calvin had just said.

Gui Gui: No it can’t be! You must be lying!

Without a reply, Calvin dashed towards Gui Gui and grabbed her by the neck so fast that it was impossible for Aaron to react.

Calvin was holding Gui Gui tightly in his grip as hostage.
Aaron: What do you want? You can take the heirloom but let her go.

Calvin laughed: Willing to part with your heirloom? I thought you guys were so determined not to let me have the heirloom?

Aaron spoke with plead in his tone: Please, just let her go.

Calvin: I’m sorry but I have got a new order. The girl and the heirloom, our master wants both!

Aaron frowned: Who exactly is your master? The most powerful vampire?

Aaron felt an uncomfortable sense of strength boiling within him but he knew very clearly that he did not summon this strength at all. On top of that, he started to feel extreme coldness and this made him shiver involuntarily.

Hebe noticed the unusual behavior of Aaron and she frowned, fearing her guess for Aaron’s behavior would be true.

Calvin replied Aaron, taking no notice of Aaron as he was too engrossed with grabbing hold of Gui Gui, who was struggling to no avail.

Calvin: Want to know who our master is? Ask her! *points to Hebe*

Aaron took very little notice of Calvin’s reply as he struggled with the pain within him. He could feel the same torment all over again, the torture that he was suffering when he was poisoned. He could not understand the occurrence of this recurrent event.

Hebe grabbed hold of Aaron, who was kneeling on the ground, clenching his fist in agony.

Gui Gui screamed: Aaron! Aaron!

She wanted to dash towards him but she couldn’t. She wanted to hold him like she did the previous time but she couldn’t. Calvin was hindering her movements and she couldn’t possibly move an inch closer to Aaron.

Gui Gui: Hebe! Save him!

Calvin took this advantage and fled from the scene with Gui Gui. Gui Gui’s cries of plead became distant with every second and Hebe knew it would be too late for her to go after Calvin.

Knowing that Gui Gui was gone and he could do nothing about it, Aaron called out her name before losing consciousness.

Aaron: Gui Gui!!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Hebe stepped into the dilapidated hut with beads of sweat rolling down her forehead. She walked towards the man who was lying unconsciously on the bed.

He seemed to be in a deep sleep which Hebe feared he might not wake up from.
Nevertheless, she walked towards the bed and sat by him.
Hebe: Aaron…

Aaron had been unconscious for almost 24 hours and Hebe did not know what she could do to wake him up. She looked through the window and saw the beautiful yet lonely moon.

It was full moon now and she thirst for fresher and richer blood. After all, she had been turned into a vampire.

She controlled her thirst for blood and took a bottle of drink which she had just bought this morning. Thoughts ran through her mind as Hebe drank from the bottle.

Hebe POV: Was it really the drug that caused these effects? I thought…I thought it was all resolved?

Thoughts of Gui Gui hugging Aaron at the back alley came into Hebe’s mind and she couldn’t help but felt a tinge of unhappiness.

Hebe looked the handsome man lying on the bed: Aaron…please wake up…

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she looked at Aaron with great affection. Just then, she recalled the scene that she had witnessed a few hours ago and a thought strike her.

Hebe: Aaron….if it was really the drug that had caused this recurrent effect….that means, turning you into a vampire would really help you to survive?

Hebe was in a dilemma. She could never do this to Aaron. She knew how painful it was to be turned into a vampire and she knew how much she had detested the vampire who did so. The last thing she had wanted was to let Aaron hate her.

Hebe: Aaron…what should I do?

------------------------------------------------------------