Chapter 7

Blood Difference

 

Closer

Aaron sits quietly at the bench in the garden, looking at the beautiful scenery before him. However, he does not appreciate it, not when ‘she’ is not around. The moon seems lonelier and the breeze seems colder without her presence but what could he do? For she had already left him three years ago…….

The tree branches snap under her feet as she tries to approach him quietly, apparently not succeeding. Without turning his head, Aaron spoke coldly: You don’t obey instructions, do you? Didn’t I say leave me alone?

Gui Gui sighs and drags her feet, disappointed by the exposure of her presence.

Gui Gui took a seat beside Aaron while speaking: Guess I’m used to disobeying instructions.

Aaron replied shortly: Apparently.

Gui Gui took in a deep breath of cool air before breathing out and saying: Its finally some fresh air. It was stuffy in the room. With the four of us in it, fighting for oxygen.

Gui Gui smiled widely, trying to ease the awkward silence.

Aaron: Vampires don’t breathe. So I think I was the one who took your oxygen.

Gui Gui widened her eyes and shook her head while explaining frantically: I don’t mean that!

To her surprise, Aaron was not angry. Instead, he gave her a warm smile and pats her head lightly.

Aaron: I was joking. *smiles*

She had never seen him smiled like that. Warm, harmless and innocent. At that moment, she had completely forgotten about their identity and responsibilities. She could only immerse herself in this moment.

Then, a thought Gui Gui. She decided to pluck up her courage and prompt the question that she had been dying to ask.

Gui Gui: I…..Wu Xiong mentioned about…..your partner?

Aaron’s smile faded and Gui Gui thoroughly regretted this choice of moment for her question. After all, she likes his smile.

With a slight frown and the same sorrow expression, Aaron looked down, deep in his thoughts. Finally, after what seems to be a zillion years for Gui Gui, Aaron spoke. This time, with a gentle and soft tone to his voice.

Aaron: She was my first love. We grew up together, trained together as hunters, and fought together. We were inseparable, me and her. The other hunters said we were made for each other and we knew they were right.

Each and every word Aaron said pierced through Gui Gui’s heart like a thousand needles but Gui Gui was determined to hear the rest of the story.

Aaron continued: When we thought we could be together forever, we were proven wrong. She was taken away, from me. She was killed when we were eliminating a lair of vampires who were at least a hundred years old. The vampires were too strong for the two of us. She came up with a plan with her being the bait while I prepare to bomb up the whole place from outside. Vampires fear fire so they would also disintegrate when burnt. However, all went wrong as the bomb was triggered before she managed to escape. I was blown out of the building due to the impact but I survived.

A drop of tear flows down his cheek as he said the last sentence.

Aaron: I should have switched places with her. I shouldn’t…I shouldn’t have let her go. It was…my fault… *more tears flowed down*

Gui Gui had never seen Aaron behave like this. He looked weak and vulnerable, both physically and emotionally. She looked at Aaron’s tear stained face and attempts to wipe the tears away but he turned from her.

Gui Gui: Don’t shun away. *Turns Aaron to face her* Let me share your burdens with you.

Gui Gui wiped away Aaron’s tears and gave him a hug.
She said quietly and softly: It wasn’t your fault.

Mysteriously, Aaron could not help but felt better and consoled. Something in Gui Gui’s words made him felt safe and assured. He was guilt stricken these few years and he felt better after confiding in Gui Gui. He didn’t even know why he did this in the first place but he was sure he didn’t regret it.

Aaron POV: Thank you……Gui Gui.

Gui Gui patted him on his shoulder: What was her name?

Not getting a reply, Gui Gui took a glimpse at Aaron. His eyes were closed and seemed asleep. After all, he was too tired, both emotionally and physically.
----------------------------------------------------------

From afar, she stood behind a tree, looking at her first love. It was heart wrenching to see him hugging another girl.

She: Aaron, I’m still here………..
-----------------------------------------------------------