Chapter 5

Blood Difference

 

Gypsy

Aaron frowned and stared into nothingness. He was astonished by the great responsibility that Gui Gui had to shoulder, as well as the dangerous situation where she was always in.

He suddenly felt the urge to protect her for it is his responsibility to ensure that the vampires do not get their hands on the priceless heirloom.

Xiu: So….your mum was a hunter but your dad isn’t one and you were raised like a normal child until the recent years when you knew your family wasn’t a simple one?

Gui Gui nodded in response to the accuracy of Xiu’s statement.

Gui Gui: This heirloom was passed down from the ancient times where all of my ancestors were hunters, all the way until me….

With that, Gui Gui looked down, feeling ashamed for the fact that she was not bestowed with the natural power of a hunter.

Aaron: You mean you were not born with Hunters’ powers?

Gui Gui shook her head before continuing: However, as my mother was my grandfather’s only child, she had inherited this heirloom. But she was known I had none of the hunters’ powers, thus she raised me up as a normal kid.

Xiu: Until the recent years when you know about your family history?

Gui Gui: Exactly. I guess my mother knew that there was something coming….something that she couldn’t fight against….

Aaron continued to confirm the story: What was it?
Gui Gui: My mother told me that there was a powerful vampire who had lived for hundreds of years and had many followers, some vampires, other hunters.

Xiu: Even hunters join him in his stride?

Gui Gui: Yes, he could provide sources of strength and power that could bring eternal life to his followers but he was greedy. He thirst for greater power and yearns for the control of all species on Earth. That’s when the heirloom comes into the picture. And his followers killed my parents in an attempt to seize it. But obviously, they did not get it.

Xiu: You escaped?

Gui Gui: Yes. With my parents’ help and they died, while doing so….

The room fell into a cold silence until Aaron spoke, with caution.

Aaron: But how does the heirloom help?

Xiu: I have heard it, once, from the wiser vampires. The heirloom, when landed into hands of powerful and fated individuals, it will emit a strong aura and a bond between itself and the user. With this strong bond, the user would gain strength that he would not have imagined exist.

Gui Gui: You are right. But what I don’t understand is his blind pursue of this heirloom even if he knew that there is a high chance that he is not the fated user.

Aaron: He wants to destroy it even if he can’t exploit this source. He doesn’t want others to overpower him.

Xiu and Gui Gui nodded in agreement to this logical theory.
Gui Gui frowned and spoke with determination: Even though this heirloom brings me lots of troubles, I must protect it no matter what for this is the last thing my parents left me.

Aaron then asked curiously: Gui Gui, what are you going to do with the heirloom?

Gui Gui: I have been thinking of any relatives who could help me but I feared that they were already victims of the pursue.

Xiu: Even if you have found any relatives, they wouldn’t be able to guard the heirloom well. You are well protected now, by the two of us.

Aaron scoffs at this statement: Are you on our side?

Xiu widens his eyes: Hey man, are you still suspecting me?!

Aaron: Can’t you see that?

Xiu wanted to protest but Gui Gui stopped him.

Gui Gui: Can we please stop suspecting one another?

She turned to look at Aaron: Aaron, I trust Xiu.

She then turned to Xiu: And Xiu, I trust Aaron. So the both of you should trust each other despite the differences ok?

Aaron and Xiu: Vast difference.

Gui Gui rolled her eyes: Guys!

Aaron and Xiu: All right?!

After a moment of awkward silence, Aaron spoke clearly.

Aaron: I know who might be able to help us.

Xiu and Gui Gui: Who?

Aaron: The Gypsy.

Xiu: Gypsy?

Aaron: Exactly

Gui Gui: How would she be able to help us?

Aaron: My aunt. She is my aunt. She is able to at least help us find a way……

Xiu: A way to?

Aaron: To destroy the heirloom

Gui Gui exclaimed: Destroy?!

There was an unknown silence hanging in the air. None of them spoke another word.

Xiu hesitated before saying: Aaron’s right.

Deep down, she knew that Aaron was right but she could not believe that the heirloom that was passed down for generations would be destroyed in her hands.

Gui Gui: I……

As is reading Gui Gui’s thoughts, Aaron spoke considerately: Gui Gui, even if you don’t agree in doing so, we have to find my aunt first. She might have other ways to help us.

Hearing the word ‘us’, Gui Gui couldn’t help but feel touched. She had barely known Aaron for days but what she definitely knows about him is the fact that he is a good person.

Gui Gui thus nodded in agreement. At that moment, she felt that the burden she had been carrying lightened though none of the problems had been solved. ‘I guess that’s because of the presence of the two of them…’ she thought, smiling to herself.

Just then, Xiu and Aaron spoke, breaking her train of thoughts.

Xiu: Let’s all get some sleep.

Aaron: Yea, we need our energy.

Just when Gui Gui was about to speak in agreement, Aaron and Xiu raised their hands to signal silence from her. Gui Gui was puzzled by this sudden uptight atmosphere.

Xiu moved towards the door while Aaron grabbed hold of his sword tightly. He was too weak to move around. The both of them had sensed intruders, right at the doorstep.

With silent and timely agreement between him and Aaron, Xiu opened the door, ready to attack. However, he was taken aback by who greeted him.

‘Surprise!!’
-----------------------------------------------------------