Chapter 9

Blood Difference

 

The injection

Gui Gui felt herself being dragged on her feet. She opens her eyes slowly and felt her head throbbing with pain.

Finally, after some effort, she managed to figure out what exactly was going on. She was leaning against Wu Xiong who was half-carrying and half-dragging Gui Gui towards the truck.

Xiu was standing in front of them, acting as a shield, fighting off any vampires which pounced on them. He was shouting at the top of his voice: ‘Hurry, Wu Xiong!’

Wu Xiong sped up and Gui Gui could feel her using her vampire speed as she moved along. Just then, a thought strike Gui Gui. She looked frantically around for a tall lean and smart outline. She was looking for Aaron.

Finally, she caught sight of Aaron who was surrounded by at least five vampires. Her heart skipped a beat as he narrowly missed an attack from one of the beasts.

Gui Gui mustered up her strength and shouted: Aaron!! Aaron!!

Wu Xiong was worried about Aaron’s safety as well. But Aaron had instructed them to run to safety while he handles the vampires here.

Xiu: Wu Xiong, bring Gui Gui away! Don’t let her get out of your sight!

Without a word, Wu Xiong did as she was told and she wrestled with the struggling Gui Gui while bringing her up the truck. She starts the engine as quickly as she can and she drove to where Xiu was standing.

Xiu shouted: No, Wu Xiong, I’m going to stay here.

Upon hearing this, Aaron shouted out in opposition: Xiu, get them out of here! They need your protection. Wu Xiong is not strong enough for them!

Wu Xiong: Aaron! How about you?

Gui Gui: Aaron! Don’t stay here! You are outnumbered!

Aaron disintegrated a vampire before saying: Xiu, you know what your responsibilities are. Gui Gui, obey my instruction this time, please!

With a nod, Xiu got into the truck and instructed Wu Xiong to drive despite Gui Gui’s calls of protest. Deep down, Xiu knew that his responsibility is to protect the heirloom, to get Gui Gui out of danger. Wu Xiong might not be able to handle the vampires and her bodyguards were not with her.

Wu Xiong drove the truck out of the gas station while cursing and swearing: Where are my guards?! I thought they would follow me?

Xiu: I think they were eliminated by this bunch of vampires. No offence but I think your guards are not as strong as them.

Upon hearing this, Gui Gui asked in bewilderment: Then how could you leave Aaron behind, dealing with them?! How could you?

Wu Xiong: I’m going back.

Xiu stopped her and said sternly: This was what Aaron wanted. He stressed that the heirloom is our top priority now and he gave me the responsibility to guard it.

Furthermore, don’t you guys believe that he will be able to eliminate the vampires? He’s the greatest hunter, remember?

They fell silent upon the last sentence. No more arguments were raised throughout the journey which was peaceful and safe.

However, the three of them could not help but worry for Aaron, for he is a human too. Gui Gui was filled with worries and uneasiness but she could not help but obey his instructions.

She kept on recalling Aaron’s words: ‘Gui Gui, obey my instruction this time, please!’Gui Gui lay back against the seat with a sigh.

Gui Gui POV: Aaron, please be all right….
-----------------------------------------------------------

He turned and stabbed his sword right through two vampires at once. Beads of sweat rolled down his forehead as he turned to face the other beasts.

Aaron: Bring it on.

The beasts snarled and growled at him as they walked in circles around him in a beastly manner. One started to strike without warning but Aaron brought it down with his skills.

Aaron frowned as he felt a sudden jab of pain in his neck.

He reached for his neck where the source of pain was. It was a needle. Someone had stabbed him with a syringe and injected him with unknown substance which sent a weird sensation down his spine.

He plucked out the needle and threw it on the floor. Just then, someone spoke. The voice was unfamiliar but it had the same calm tone which Aaron often speaks with.

Aaron turned and saw a vampire, dressed smartly and wearing a smirk expression.

‘Look what we have here. The great hunter. The needle was a gift from me. Throwing it away is not a very polite act you know? Appreciation is of upmost importance.’ The stranger said with sarcasm as he watches Aaron leaning on his sword for support as the effect of the injection had taken place.

Aaron: Who are you?

‘Let me introduce myself, I’m Calvin.’ He gave a small short bow.

Calvin: The leader of them *points to the vampires* and the loyal subordinate of the greatest vampire on Earth.

Aaron scoffed: You are just a servant.

Calvin ignored his insult: You, Aaron Yan, the greatest hunter. But I don’t reckon you could still be as great as they have described because of my gift.

Aaron: What did you inject me with?

Calvin: Something that is invented by me, toxic to you, but useful to vampires.

Aaron was puzzled by his statement. He could not believe his words. After all, he did not realise that there would be anything in the world that is toxic to him.

Calvin: Don’t worry; I would not kill you, yet. Your blood is precious and so must be served to our master. But I reckon I could taste a little of that. *smirks*

Calvin was right. Hunter’s blood is unique as the power of the hunters bind with their blood. The greater the ability and power of the hunter, the more precious his blood is. Aaron’s blood is thus more precious than any of the vampire hunters.

Without warning, Calvin sped towards Aaron like lightning and he deepen his nails into Aaron’s arm, creating a long slit-like wound.

Aaron was taken aback by Calvin’s extraordinary speed and he was starting to feel the agonizing effect of the drug.

Calvin: Tasty and rejuvenating. How precious.

Without another word, Calvin released Aaron and turned, while calling out to the other vampires: Bring him back. And don’t you dare take his blood.

The vampires grunted and grab hold of Aaron, who was struggling but to no avail.

Just when Aaron was being lifted by two vampires, water was pouring down from above. Someone was standing on top of the shelter of the gas station, pouring water at the vampires.

Aaron was drenched from head to toe and his wound stung.

Aaron POV: No, it’s not just water. It’s holy water.

That was the solution inside the bottle that Aaron once told Gui Gui to splash at the vampires at the motel.

Whoever it was, the person was helping Aaron and is on his side. However, Aaron was too busy struggling with the effect of the drug that he did not bother who his saviour was.

The vampires all cried in pain as their skin burnt as the holy water came into contact with their skin. Calvin narrowly missed the attack and he jumped up to catch the culprit who was spoiling his plan.

Taking this granted chance; Aaron hurried to a car which was parked near the gas station. He turned and could only make out two figures, fighting with one another. One of them must be Calvin while the other his saviour.

He hesitated for a moment as he pondered between running away and giving his saviour a helping hand. However, instinct over took him and he decided to take flight as he saw his saviour having an upper hand in the fight with Calvin.

Aaron got into the car after it realised that it was miraculously unlocked and the engine was still running. Ignoring his suspicions about the vehicle, Aaron tries his best to muster the remaining strength he has got to drive.
------------------------------------------------------------
Five minutes later.

Aaron was on the road, away from the gas station. He could not help but wonder who his saviour was but for now, he is clueless…
------------------------------------------------------------