A Deal With The Devil

A Thin Line Between Love & Hate

 

Chapter  8

 

One day I’ll be someone worthy enough to marry you…

 

“What did you just say?” asked the dumbfounded Mark.

Jackson lifts Mark’s chin so that they’re looking into each other’s eyes.

“Marry me," said Jackson, words he wanted to say since he first fell in love with Mark. That is, until Mark left him.

 

Jackson’s two words caused Mark to have a flashback.

 

“What are your plans after we graduate?” asked Mark.

“Hopefully I can get a scholarship to a good college, find a good job after graduation, and eventually marry you.”

“Marry me?”

“Yes marry you. Is that not something you want?”

“Of course”, said Mark, caught off guard. “I just didn’t think you planned out our future together so far in advance.”

“Well I love you Dimsum.”

“I love you too Mandu.”

 

Even though the conversation was so vivid, Mark couldn’t make out the person’s face from his memory. All he knew is that he could feel the love that they had for each other. Why couldn’t he see his face? Straining to get a clear vision of a face along with the sudden memory, Mark began to feel dizzy and felt himself fainting.

 

Jackson sees Mark stumbling, and catches him before he falls.

“Mark are you okay?” said the genuinely worried Jackson. Receiving no answer, he hurriedly swoops Mark up and carries him bridal style rushing towards the orphanage’s infirmary. Please be okay.

 

Mark wakes up with a slight headache. Looking around he can tell that he’s still at the orphanage. What surprised him though was the figure sleeping by his side. Jackson was sitting in a chair and had his face resting on folded arms. The image made Mark’s heart flutter. That face is so innocent. Well when he’s sleeping at least; completely the opposite when he’s awake though. Why can’t I look away? Has he been waiting for me to wake up this whole time? Not wanting to bother the sleeping guy, Mark checks his phone. He sees 20 missed calls and 50 text messages from Jr.

 

“Where are you?” “I’m worried.” “It’s almost midnight.”

 

Mark sends a quick text to Jr saying that he’s still at the orphanage, to tell his mom and dad that he’s sorry, and that he’ll explain everything later.

 

Mark’s texting caused Jackson to awaken.

“Finally up Sleepy Beauty?” said Jackson.

“I can say the same thing,” replied Mark. 

“I guess you’re feeling better, since you have the energy to talk back to me. So what happened back there? Did my marriage proposal knock you off your feet?” laughed Jackson.

“Get over yourself. I just got a little sick, that’s all. Why? Were you actually worried about me?”

Of course I was, but I can’t let him know that.

“Now who’s the cocky one? I was just protecting my investment,” said Jackson nonchalantly. 

“Investment…” said Mark.

“Of course. You think I'd genuinely care about you? You’re nothing but a pawn in my plot for revenge.”

There he goes about the whole revenge thing again. Why does his words hurt me though?

“So what’s your answer to my condition? And before you answer, just an FYI, Bao Bao’s been crying and asking for you. Miss Kim only just got him to go to sleep.”

“Are you trying to guilt me into accepting your proposal? Why does it have to be me anyways?” asked Mark.

“I have my reasons in wanting to get married; which is none of your concern. As to why you? Well you’ll be my possession and I’ll be free to do whatever I want with you."

“You must really hate me huh?" said the defeated Mark.

“You have no idea how much,” hissed Jackson.

“Since I really have no choice. Fine I’ll marry you Mr. Wang.”

Jackson’s heart jumped that him and Mark are finally getting married. Too bad it’s out of hate instead of love. 

In the background, they both hear fireworks booming. Jackson walks up to Mark, tilts his chin up and kisses him. Even though the kiss felt good, tired of being taken advantage of, Mark bites Jackson’s lip.

“What was that for?” asked the angry Jackson.

“That should be my question,” said Mark.

“What…it’s just a New Year’s kiss and it’s also to commemorate us being engaged,” laughed Jackson.

“It’s a fake, forced marriage,” grunted Mark.

“Whatever the case, I’ll make you fall in love with me Dimsum.”

There’s that name again. Could he be the guy from my memory? He can’t be. That guy loved me and I loved him.

“Like that’ll ever happen. I’m not delusional you know,” said Mark.

I’ll make you love me then I’ll leave you, just like how you left me.

Jackson shrugs, “Well now that you’re feeling better, I’ll take my leave. I’ll come see you tomorrow at your shop my little bride to be” as he walks towards the door.

Embarrassed by being called a bride, Mark throws a pillow at the door as it closes.

 

 

Hope you guys enjoy this little update. Kinda having a little writer's block. I'll try to update as often as I can. Hope everyone had a Happy New Year. =)