Drops The Mic

A Thin Line Between Love & Hate

 

Chapter 7

 

I love you, even when I hate you…

 

Jackson pulls up to the orphanage. Just looking at this place brings back all the memories: the good and bad. 

 

“You finally have the time to visit this old lady?” said the woman who practically raised Jackson.

“I’m sorry Ma, I came as soon as I could. I missed you so much” as he hugs his foster mom.

“Me too dear. I’m glad you’re finally back. The kids missed you too.”

“I can’t wait to see everyone.”

“They can’t wait to see you too. And I can’t express how much it means to me that you bought the orphanage. We wouldn’t have a roof over our heads, if you didn’t.”

“It’s the least I can do. It is my home.” She kisses Jackson on the forehead. 

“Oh dear, you won’t believe who’s also here.”

“Who?”

“Look” says the older woman, smiling and pointing to the garden.

Jackson sees Mark with a cute little boy who’s no older than 4 or 5 yrs old. Both of them look so innocent. Like you can’t help but want to protect them from the world.

 

What is he doing here out of all places? And who’s that little kid with him? They look like they share an unconditional love. And why does that make me jealous?

 

“What’s wrong dear? Aren’t you happy?”

“No, why would I be? And why is he here?” said the confused Jackson. 

“The reasoning is kind of sad actually. Mark showed up here a year ago after his accident.”

“Accident…?” 

“Yea. He was involved in a car crash. Not only did he lose his parents, but he lost some of his memories too. He said for some reason he was drawn to this place.”

“Wait…what? Is that even possible?” 

“Of course dear. And you see the little boy with him? That’s Bao Bao. He reminds me a lot of you. When he first came here, he had trouble adjusting. He was pretty much a loner until he met Mark. They seem to be helping each other heal."

 

So he wasn’t pretending not to know me. He actually forgot about me. I don’t know what’s worse: the fact that he hurt me or the fact that he forgot about me.

 

“Ma can you help me out with something?”

“Of course dear. But I know that look on your face. You’re plotting something. And I don’t know if I like it,” sighed the older woman.

 

“Bao Bao loves Baba Mork,” says the cute chubby faced kid, eating an ice cream cone. Mark thinks it’s cute that the kid calls him Mork instead of Mark.

“And Baba loves Bao Bao too” Mark says, as he kisses the boy on the cheek.

 

Mark’s smile quickly fades as he sees a familiar face approaching. Jackson sees Mark’s reaction and smirks.

 

“Hello Mark.”

“Hi Miss Kim.”

“I’m sorry to have to bother you my dear, but I’m just giving Mr. Wang a tour of the orphanage.”

“Mr. Wang this is Mark. Mark this is Mr. Wang. He just bought the orphanage.”

Do I pretend to not know him? Well Miss Kim doesn’t know that we’ve met before, so I guess I can.

“Hi Mr. Wang. Nice to meet you,” said Mark with a fake smile, as he extends his hand for a handshake.

Jackson lifts his eyebrow and shakes Mark’s hand.

So he’s gonna pretend not to know me then, thought Jackson amusingly.

"Mr. Wang is deciding if he wants to keep the orphanage as is or if he’s going to tear it down to build condos.”

“What? He can’t do that. Where will all the kids go?”

“You know we’ve been having financial problems dear and there’s really nothing we can do if Mr. Wang decides to shut this place down.” Miss Kim hates having to lie to Mark, but she couldn’t say no to her foster son. Mark was at a loss for words. “Maybe you can try convincing Mr. Wang otherwise. Come one Bao Bao. Let’s go get you cleaned up and leave the adults to talk. Say bye to Mark and Mr. Wang.”

“Buh bye Baba Mork. Buh bye Wangie”, waved little Bao Bao.

Jackson can see himself falling in love with the little kid. He’s so cute.

 

“So you’re just gonna pretend like you don’t know me in front of Miss Kim?”

“Who’s pretending? I don’t know you,” replied Mark.

“Is that something you say to someone you’ve shared a kiss with?” teased Jackson.

Mark’s face gets beet red. 

Is he really blushing? It’s too cute. Focus Jackson…focus. He’s your enemy remember.

“So are you really going to close this place down? You can’t do that.”

“What does it matter to you what I do with this place?”

“What are the kids going to do? They’ll have no place to go. You honestly can’t be that heartless.”

Jackson grabs Mark by his shoulders.

“Heartless??? You have the nerve to call me heartless? After what you did to me” said the angry Jackson.

“Let go of me. What is your problem?” said the startled Mark. “Judging from your actions, we obviously knew each other in the past. But since the accident, I don’t have all my memories.”

“How about I make you remember me?” hissed Jackson. He then pulls Mark in and kisses him with the rage of love and hate. 

Not this again. Why does he always resort to kissing me? And why can’t I help, but like it a little when he does?

After mustering up some strength, Mark is finally able to push Jackson off him and raises his hand. Jackson grabs Mark’s hand in time.

“What are you going to do? Slap me again?” said Jackson.

“And what if I do?” said the angry Mark.

“Go ahead, slap me. But for every slap, I’ll just kiss you twice as hard” threatened Jackson.

Jackson lets go of Mark’s hand, daring him to slap him. The defeated Mark just lowers his hand. Jackson smirks at his reaction.

“Why are you doing this to me?” said Mark, looking tired.

“Why? One word…revenge!!!”

“Revenge? For what? You know what…this is getting tiring and I don’t want to deal with it right now. Let’s stick to the topic at hand. What do I have to do to convince you to keep the orphanage open?”

“The orphanage means that much to you?”

“Of course,” said Mark.

“And you’re willing to do anything I say?”

“As long as it’s legal and doesn’t go against my moral judgment.”

“Fine. I’ll keep the orphanage open under one condition.”

“What is it?” said the desperate Mark.

“Marry me,” said Jackson.