Forget Me Not

A Thin Line Between Love & Hate

Chapter 22

 

Sometimes two people have to fall apart to realize how much they need to fall back together…

 

Mark got up and ran over to Jackson. Please let him be okay thought Mark. I don’t know if I could ever forgive myself if anything were to happen to him. What Mark saw before his eyes caused his heart to stop beating for a moment. Jackson’s body was limp and blood was trickling out of his mouth. Mark gathered all the strength he had in him and carefully cradled his lover’s head in his lap; his tears automatically ran.

“Mandu...please be okay,” sobbed Mark.

“Dimsum…you finally called me Mandu. I’m sorry for everything…I love you,” struggled Jackson, as the blood flowed.

“Don’t speak.”

“I’m glad you’re okay,” smiled Jackson; his last words before he passed out.

“No!!! Don’t leave me!!! Help!!! Someone please!!!” shouted Mark, over and over.

 

BamBam went into shock. What did I do? I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I didn't mean for it to go this far. I was just trying to scare Mark. Why did Jackie jump in the way? BamBam's forehead had a huge gash from impact, but he was too numb to react. He dialed 119 on his cell phone and let it drop.

 

After what seemed like forever, the paramedics finally arrived at the scene. It took everything Mark he had to stop himself from fainting. You have to be strong for Jackson. You can't faint now. “Is he going to be okay? Please save him,” begged Mark. “I’ll do anything. Just please save him,” repeated Mark to the paramedics, refusing to let go of Jackson.

“We’ll do everything we can for him. But you need medical attention too. You’re bleeding,” said the paramedic. 

“I’m fine,” said Mark. “I’m not leaving him.”

Right before Mark enters the ambulance, he sees a stunned BamBam being handcuffed and placed in the back of the police car. Their eyes met briefly, Mark saw sorrow and regret.

 

During the ride to the hospital, Mark never let go of Jackson’s hand. Don’t you dare die on me Mandu repeated Mark over and over. “His pulse is weak,” said the paramedic. “We need to get him to the hospital as soon as possible. There may be some head trauma too.” 

“Is he going to make it?” whispered Mark.

“All we can do is try our best,” answered the paramedic, not too sure.

 

Once they arrive at the hospital, they rush Jackson into the ER for surgery. Please God let him be okay prayed Mark. I’ll give anything as long as he survives. This is all my fault. As Mark is waiting outside the ER, JB and Jr finally arrives. “Mark,” said Jr, as he ran to his best friend grabbing him into a hug. “What happened? They just told us Jackson was in an accident and didn’t give us any details other than that.”

“It’s all my fault Jr. It’s all my fault and he’s going to die,” cried Mark.

“Calm down Mark. I’m sure Jacks is going to be fine. Just tell us what happened,” said JB, worried.

After Mark told JB and Jr everything that happened, they both said in unison, “It’s not your fault Mark.”

The couple gave each other a look, but the exchange was lost on Mark who was too preoccupied to notice. They each took turns trying to console Mark. After awhile, the three just sat in silence as they waited for the doctor is give them an update. There really wasn't much left to be said. It was just a matter of playing the waiting game. The time seemed to have slowed to a crawl.

 

Awhile later, the doctor finally emerges from the ER. “May I speak to the patient’s family please?” said the doctor. 

“I’m his…,” Wait we’re not married anymore thought Mark. Would I even be able to see him?

“Mark here is his partner,” intercepted Jr. Mark gave him a confused look. “I’ll explain later,” whispered Jr.

“Well I have some good news and some not so good news,” said the doctor. “The patient is in stable condition. With that being said, due to his head injury when he wakes up he might not have his memories.”

Upon hearing the doctor’s diagnosis, Mark couldn’t help but to feel bittersweet. On one hand, he’s happy that Jackson is still alive, but on the other hand, sad that Jackson might not remember him. He knows exactly how it feels to lose your memories. Maybe it’s for the best. This is what you wanted right? A clean start? A life without Jackson? No I love him. I'll stay with him no matter. 

“Can I see him?” asked Mark. “Of course,” replied the doctor. “We moved him into a recovery room. Let me know if you need anything.”

“Thank you,” said Mark.

 

The three enter Jackson’s private recovery room, feeling a little better now that they know Jackson is alive. Aside for the head bandages and being a little paler than usual, Jackson pretty much looks he’s just resting.

“I think you guys need some alone time,” said Jr. “JB and I will go back to our places and get some clothes and toiletries for all of us. We’ll be back soon so we can all spend the night.”

“Thanks,” said Mark, as he kissed his friend on the cheek. 

“Stay strong,” said JB, as he pats Mark on the shoulder. 

 

Once he’s alone, Mark silently walks up to Jackson and pecks him on the lips. This is actually the first time I kissed him first thought Mark. Too bad he won’t remember it. Mark pulls up a chair to Jackson’s bedside and caresses his hand. Seeing Jackson in the condition that he’s in, Mark’s tears just started flowing. “You idiot. Why’d you have to save me? You should’ve just let me get hit instead. What were you thinking? Since you’re not awake to hear this, guess I’ll confess all my feelings now. First off, I’m sorry. I’m sorry for breaking your heart back then, but I stand by my reason in doing so. I just couldn’t live with myself if my parents was the cause of destroying your future. Maybe if I were stronger, things would’ve turned out differently. Just know that I did love you. Hell I still love you. And I’m sorry for being stubborn and trying to place all the blame on you, when I’m just at fault. I guess it was easier to blame everything on you than to accept how I truly felt about you. And after everything that happened, you still love me. I don’t know why you love me. But that’s why I love you, cause you accept me flaws and all. It’s so hard when you love someone this much, but you don’t know how to love them the right way. I wish we could just forget the past and start all over. But I guess it’s too late. When you wake up, you might not even know who I am. I guess destiny’s to blame for letting us meet, but not letting us be together. Just know that I love you and will always love you no matter what.”

 

Suddenly Mark felt Jackson begin to stir. “Mandu you’re awake. Thank god,” wept Mark. “I thought I was going to lose you forever. I couldn’t live with the guilt, if anything were to happen to you.”

“Mandu? Who’s that? Is that my name?,” asked the confused Jackson. “Where am I? And who are you?”

“It’s me…Mark…your Dimsum.”

“Mark? Dimsum? Do I know you?”

“You don’t remember who I am?” asked Mark.

“No. Sorry. Am I supposed to?” replied Jackson.

Mark’s heart broke into a million pieces. He really doesn’t remember me.