Number One

Cotton Candy

The little ‘ding’ of her phone notification had her attention. Looking up from the pile of folders and paper works in front of her, her round glasses falling down a bit from her nose from the movement. Her hands reached out to the device--a bit too excitedly. She was waiting for a reply from a certain someone she had texted four hours ago.

reKgJqIV4o_xiOOfTjkmW9q3VxaLa5pnS_UXHSBHswzN6uN_cSvjJc3ASoOaYCe_0pf6qDlAQNQd4ZJY7bXBaGmoDnNAd5PWkHipvDGIqw6-1R_DabL1kr18pB13_jjYD8B1AaU7

 

She waited a few minutes before she sighed and placed her phone back down. Turning around on her chair as she looked through her office window, the forty feet billboard shining brightly as she looked straight at the soft warm eyes of the certain girl she just replied to--Wendy Son, the it girl and the nation’s daughter.

 

“I have to be patient, right?” She asked. “I know it’s a long line I stand in waiting for your time… everyone wants you..”

 


 

It started out about three years ago, when Seulgi just officially started in her family’s company, shadowing her father in all his meetings, interviews, and even active experiments in the laboratory--with their business being the biggest medtech company in Korea. His father had gone to meet with a good friend of his one day and she was asked to tag along.

 

“I think we’re a bit too early, princess~” his father laughed, sitting down at the chair in the private booth of the restaurant they are in.

 

“You’re too excited, I think?” she smiled warmly and her father had laughed some more before he began looking at the menu, still with the signs of happiness on his face. Seulgi busied herself with emails and work that still needs to be done. She was so into it that she didn’t hear the door to the room open until she was startled by her father’s loud voice.

 

“Son!!! My pal!” his father yelled, pulling the shorter man into a hug.

 

“Kang!” Mr. Son laughed, hugging back.

 

“It’s been a while! Meet my daughter, Seulgi~” the latter stood up, smiling and bowing as a greeting.

 

“Oh! She’s so big now! The last time I saw her, she was still wearing diapers haha!”

 

“Sorry!” the door to the room opened again and in came a petite girl, just a bit smaller than Seulgi, with long black hair styled with a striking blue color at the tips. “I kinda got lost finding this place, papa.”

 

“No worries, darling~ Come here, let me introduce you~” Mr. Son said as he ushered her daughter beside him, gently motioning with his hand. “This is the Kang I’ve been telling you about. Kang, this is my youngest daughter, Seungwan.”

 

“Hello, Mr. Kang~ My father has told me so many stories of you~” The girl smiled, eyes forming into cute crescents. Seulgi found her eyes trained on this peculiar girl.

 

“Hi, Seungwan, it’s a pleasure to meet you~ This is my daughter, Seulgi.” Her father introduced, patting her back a bit and taking her out of her own little head. “Say hi, princess~”

 

“Hello, Seungwan~ My name’s Seulgi, it’s nice to meet you!~”

 

“Likewise, princess~” Wendy grinned, teasing her, and Seulgi felt her heart skip a beat for the first time, cheeks warming up at being called her nickname.


 

Their fathers had naturally fell into conversations with each other. Reminiscing about the past and all the crazy antics that they both did. Seulgi can’t help but look at the younger girl, wondering why she looked so familiar. Wendy, noticing the stare that the older one was giving her, shot Seulgi a smile that left the latter a bit flustered. Wendy laughed.

 

“Is there something on my face, Seulgi?” she asked and the bear was quick to shake her head.

 

“No… it’s just.. You look so familiar? Like I’ve seen you before?”

 

“Is that how you pick girls up?” Wendy smirked which made the older one even more flustered than before before. Wendy giggled.

 

“No- I don’t- I-”

 

“Relax, princess~” Wendy smiled again, a teasing tone in her voice as she pulled up her phone and scrolled before showing the screen to the older girl, “Is this your number?”

 

“...No?” Seulgi answered looking at the digits flashed across the screen, before getting it and correcting the information.

 

“Thanks. I know the first one wasn’t really your number” Wendy smiled, typing on her phone before looking up and seeing the confused face of Seulgi.

 

“Huh? Then why--”

 

“I just wanted to get your number~” She answered, grinning before adding, “You know, you look cute when you’re confused.” and that made Seulgi blush some more.


 

It was a few days after when Seulgi was waiting at the salon to have her regular haircut when she decided to browse some magazines. Her eyes landed on a familiar figure inside the pages, wearing the jewellery brand next to her close friend and damiani owner, Irene. She quickly whipped out her phone, typing as fast as she could.

 

uhP1tDRM63-BinhAwFgLMGn9DiKfJptEJ2-Rm9vy0LSYQYZ14Hk-WG69Uij2o2YhBg3mj1uCA6qEooa_sZf8mJS33T-9JuX4NF8H_nvJ7Lp-ilqVxpLGL5SnE2So2kILysJq6UvE



 

Seulgi found herself more in the presence of the up and coming celebrity after that. They have a lot more in common than she would’ve ever imagined. Just like that, they became inseparable, spending their free time with each other and even surprising the other when one is too busy.


 


 

It was the middle of summer and the heat was excruciating but Seulgi was hell bent on going out. She got into her car early in the morning and drove towards an area near the beach, the ac turned up high along with the music.

 

“Feel the rhythm, momi gieokaneun daero joa (Oh yeah)

Something unforgettable (Unforgettable) baro jigeum (baro jigeum)

mami heulleoganeun daero joa supyeongseon wireul naneun geoyaaaaaaaaaaa”

 

“Oooh! This sounds so good?” She smiled, tapping on the steering wheel along with the beat of the music. 

 

“And that was Red and Velvet’s latest song~ and here we have the Red and Velvet duo, Joy and Yeri, with us to-” Seulgi turned off her engine and quickly grabbed her things before running towards the mini truck.

 

“Miss Kang” the girl greeted as she spotted Seulgi coming closer.

 

“Hey, is everything ready?”

 

“Yes, Miss. We just have to roll out this banner and we are good.”

 

“Great! Thanks, Rosie~ Can I go in the truck now?”she patted her secretary’s shoulder.

 

“Yes. We’ve already prepared your apron inside. Jennie over there will orient you on what you can do.” Rosie smiled, motioning towards a girl inside the mini cafe truck who was unabashedly staring at the blonde haired beauty. Seulgi chuckled, nodding her head before going quickly inside the mini truck. 

 

“Hey, Jennie. I’m Seulgi.”

 

“Hi. Rosie placed your apron there.You can put it on then I’ll teach you some basics.” The cat eyed girl explained and Seulgi nodded and quickly placed the apron while going back to Jennie’s side. The younger girl had started instructing Seulgi on how to do the things which the latter had put her full focus on.

 

“Does this look okay…..?” She asked a few minutes later as she held out the wrapped sandwich with the contents inside looking dismantled. Jennie didn’t know how to respond when she saw the poor looking sandwich but thank the heavens that the older girl had looked away, placing the sandwich on the side before adding, 

 

“I think it’s better if I just put the stickers on the finished product” She gave Jennie her famous bear like grin as she showed a circular sticker with her Seungwan’s face on it with cute effects on them like a cartoon blush and heart doodles.

 

“That’s… a good idea.” Jennie smiled, continuing to prepare the cups for the iced coffee that they’ll be handing out.

 

“Ms. Kang, we’re ready and just in time~ I see the crew and other people coming.” Rosie informed, placing on her apron too and going beside Jennie.

 

“Alright!~ We can do this girls! Thanks again, Rosie, for helping me out. I can’t wait to see Wan’s reaction~”

 

“No problem, Ms. Kang~”

 

There were people carefully approaching their mini setup, reading the banner that Rosie had set. From afar Seulgi can see the curious stares of the crew members as they too followed the people going towards the coffee truck.

 

“Hello, would you care for a drink?” Seulgi asked, smiling at the people in front of the banner.

 

“Uhmm.. Hi..” One guy started. “This is for Wendy-ssi?”

 

“Yes! Are you part of the crew?”

 

“I’m the manager of Jisoo. She’ll be working with Wendy today.”

 

“Oh!” Seulgi was quick to ask Jennie for some coffee and sandwich, quickly placing the sticker as the final touch before handing it politely to the guy. “Please have some of this~ I hope you will also look out for our Wendy~”

 

“Thank you! Wendy has such nice fans.” he smiled, walking away and gushing to the other people. Soon, word of a very bright beautiful girl handing out sandwiches and coffee travelled around the staff and even casts and it didn’t take long for the bear to see the head of her favorite girl walking towards their truck.

 

“Wannie!!!~” she greeted, going out of the truck and enveloping Wendy in a hug.

 

“Seul? What’s all this?”

 

“I rented it as support for your new project!~” Seulgi answered. Wendy looks a bit taken aback, looking at the bear curiously.

 

“You did it...for me?” Seulgi nodded enthusiastically and the younger one stared at her some more, eyes turning soft.

 

“Do you like it?” the bear asked in a whisper, staring back with the same softness.

 

“Yes, princess. Thank you.”

 

“You’re welcome!” Seulgi gave her signature bear smile before her eyes widened in thought, “Oh, wait here, Wannie~” and she quickly went inside the coffee truck again, scrambling around and deep in focus. 

 

It took a few minutes before the older one returned, a sandwich on one hand and some grapefruit juice with pearls on the other, the latter being a drink specially made only for Wendy.

 

“Here~ I tried my best with wrapping it up but I’m not so good with that...” Seulgi scrunched up her eyebrows a bit before smiling that bear smile again, “But this juice” she showed it proudly, “I did make myself!~” and she handed both the yummy things to Wendy eagerly.

 

“Thank you” Wendy whispered, cheeks a bit red, and somehow her eyes can’t meet the older ones. She instead stared at the sandwich, the sticker with her face staring right back at her.

 

“Do you know what time you’ll be finished?” Seulgi asked after a few moments of silence.

 

“I think late at night?”

 

“Okay, I’ll wait for you then.”

 

“What? No, Seul, it might take really long and I don’t want you to be bored and waste your time here.” Seulgi shrugged.

 

“I don’t think it’s a waste of time if it involves seeing and spending more time with you.” and that shut Wendy up.

 

xzCR25OtSuno8J8O8vAerGDbnHYaiyViMtsp0xDQpyAPeqCRDxLAqlVu-Plqr6eGiZPP3QmAwwh_oGxACVukkXyTMPYtaj7k6uJkrCzLB5YAekufmAn04HYMdSVQ2RgoYt02bCdM


 


 

It was around half of the second year into their friendship when the bear found herself a little bit more drawn to the younger one than usual. Hugging Wendy a bit tighter, holding her hand a bit longer, and wanting to see that smile more than a few times a day. It was kind of hard lately with Wendy’s celebrity status rising and the younger one was beginning to have less time to hang out.

 

 

At first, Seulgi thought that maybe she was feeling this way because Wendy is her best friend and that she’s just so attached to the younger one that not being able to see her for three days was just too much compared to their almost every day hanging out before.

 

After her last meeting of the day, the bear had quickly drove towards Wendy’s shoot location, stopping at a convenience store to buy a dozen boxes of energy drinks that she could give out to the staff and crew, before driving another two hours out of the city. She had immediately saw the familiar faces of the staff and quickly got a box to hand out, bowing and saying “Thank you for taking care of my Wendy” happily. 

 

“Seulgi-ssi?” 

 

“Yuri unnie!” She smiled at Wendy’s manager— a tall tanned woman, before bowing and handing her an energy drink.

 

“Thank you” Yuri smiled, “What are you doing here? Wendy didn’t tell me you’ll come today.” Seulgi laughed nervously, cheeks going a bit red as she replied,

 

“I kind of missed Wannie so I decided to surprise her hehehe” Yuri chuckled, a glint in her eyes that Seulgi can’t comprehend.

 

“She’s on cam right now, shooting a scene. Do you want to watch?” Seulgi nodded excitedly and Yuri laughed some more, “Okay, but we have to stay quiet, alright?”

 

“Yeeees~”

 

 

There were cameras and lights everywhere focusing on the different angles of the actors and actresses and giving them the correct atmosphere. Seulgi saw the girl she misses sitting on one of the restaurant tables, seeming like she’s waiting for someone excitedly and she can’t help but notice how the light bounces of Wendy’s skin, making it glow, how in this angle, the younger ones features are more prominent, and how Wendy’s brown eyes seemed to be softer and has more spark in them. She felt her breath hitch and her heart skip at the way Wendy looks. 

 

Then the scene played out. A guy ,Seulgi barely remembers the name of, walked towards a waiting Wendy. He covered Wendy’s eyes with his hands and Seulgi heard the cute little yelp that her best friend had made before the latter giggled and said “Oppa” in the sweetest way possible that Seulgi felt her heart twinge a bit, scrunching up her eyebrows at the sudden feeling. 

 

She continued on watching. Even though she knows that Wendy is just acting, she can’t help but feel this sudden greediness over her best friend— an emotion that’s new to her, and everytime she sees the guy and Wendy act like a couple, the more this feeling grows that she had to take a moment and excused herself from watching, barely registering the quick  glance that Wendy gave her.

 

It was a few minutes later, when she had smelled all the fresh air that she needed and yet her mind was still jumbled, that she felt soft arms circling around her waist. She let out a surprised yelped before turning around and meeting her favorite brown eyes softly staring back at her.

 

“Why’d you leave the scene?” Wendy looked at her curiously, her arms still around her waist. 

 

“I just needed some fresh air” Seulgi answered.

 

“Was it too stuffy?” She stayed quiet, eyes looking all over Wendy’s face, memorising every inch and every curve.

 

“I missed you” she whispered lowly. She notices the short shocked expression that the smaller one let out before it turned into a softer gaze—the one she would like to think is reserved for her.

 

“I missed you too, princess” Wendy whispered back, pulling Seulgi closer to her, “thank you for coming to see me~ I was going crazy not being able to see you.”

 

 

AA6_xE0Fvs1_9ti3JKLvw4ujOHdZ8KwtX6SS4r53ODXte30gLEBarwbWqKZvUTba4RlsLYiZJnoU3ekXeS4ydH0xar76kGl5NWmBdVvchGftUFsADrHQfbpg2uJV7ny1ocG2ITsW


 


 

Seulgi decided to fix the papers on her desk, looking up at the clock that read 21:10. She sighed as she noticed the light from her secretary’s table just outside of her office is still open. She stood up and went to open the door, looking at the hardworking Rosie who has her face fixed on her laptop screen.

 

“Rosie, go home.” she paused, holding her little laugh at the way she startled her secretary, “Sorry, did I scare you?”

 

“Ah! No, Ms. Kang, don’t worry about it~” 

 

“You should go home. I’m almost done anyway.”

 

“Alright, Ms. Kang.” Rosie bowed politely before remembering something, “Oh yeah, Ms. Yuri called for an appointment. You have dinner tomorrow at 9pm in La Rogue Restaurant with Ms. Son.” Seulgi’s eyes blinked, processing the information she had just heard.

 

“Thank you” she smiled gently, motioning a goodbye to her secretary before going back inside her office, eyes searching for her phone somewhere under the pile of papers and folders on her desk. She quickly grabbed it and checked if she had any new messages but only to be disappointed when there’s none. Sighing for the nth time that day as she started cleaning up. 

 



 

She was at the restaurant the next day 45 minutes early, shaking a bit in her seat as she waited for Wendy to appear. Nervous is an understatement to what she feels. Her palms are sweating as the time ticks closer to 9, her brain repeating the words she was practicing earlier that day with her secretary.

 

“Seul~” 

 

“Wannie!” she quickly greeted, standing up and being pulled in such a tight hug by the younger one, shocking her a bit, but she relaxed at once, smiling and pulling Wendy closer into the hug, her face burrying in the smaller ones hair, quickly being intoxicated by the younger one’s perfume.

 

“I missed you” Wendy whispered into her ear.

 

“I missed you more”


 

They went on their dinner, sitting beside each other, the tips on their fingers bumping into each other but neither one of them had the courage to take the other’s hands and intertwine their fingers, instead shy smiles were exchanged and laughter filled their private booth. Soft music was playing on the background and Seulgi heard the younger one hum beside her. So she stood up and offered her hand,

 

“Dance with me?” she asked and she can clearly see Wendy’s expression changing from shock to a shy one, cheeks turning pinker than it already is as she nodded and took Seulgi’s hand. They swayed with the music, the lights in their private booth simmed dimmer than usual as Seulgi lost herself in Wendy’s eyes.

 

“Wan, I have something to say..” she said, holding Wendy a bit tighter, afraid of what might happen after. They stopped dancing now and the smaller one was looking at her curiously and expectantly.

 

“What is it, princess?” Seulgi bit her bottom lip, thinking of how to start. She looked at Wendy’s eyes and felt herself relax as she gazed softly at the latter one.

 

“You’ve always been someone special to me, Wannie… and I don’t know when it all started that I always crave your presence and look forward to seeing you and spending time with you, but I do. More than normal, I think. It’s weird at first but when I realised what it is that I’m feeling, I tried my best to be better, to be good. And I know your priority is your work and I respect that full time that’s why I’m okay with waiting for you, Wannie. I guess what I’m saying is--”

 

“I love you, Seul.”

 

“Wait lemme finish!” Seulgi whined, not processing what Wendy just said, “What I’m saying is--”

 

“Seul, I love you”

 

“Wannie!!! I’m nervous here come o--”Wendy pulled the bear into her, quickly connecting their lips

 

“I wasn’t sure if you felt the same way towards me that’s why I didn’t say anything…. My schedule got full too and I took it as the opportunity to lessen my feelings for you but you were so extra consistent and considerate. Surprising me at times when I know so well that you wouldn’t have time for me--”

 

“But I always have time for you”

 

“I realised that after a while” Wendy smiled, caressing Seul’s cheek. “Thank you for that”

 

“You’re welcome...?” Wendy giggled at the distressed expression on the older one’s face.

 

“What is it?”

 

“I want to continue what I’m trying to say”

 

“Okay?” Seulgi cleared .

 

“What I’m trying to say is, Wannie I love you, like a lot, and if I can call you my girlfriend, that would be a bonus?” Wendy laughed, falling into Seulgi’s arms and face hiding in the bear’s neck.

 

“Yes, princess, I’ll be your girlfriend.”

 

hQaTbDHQgarr7hT-Re8MTpfDMgFKSEdpJHK1NiKnAjelB0rdtQhdJrEmJtqD0HO7F6lAyYqP67z5f1g1f1_WLGKKuYSPLmEDoEmmIU5x_go737LeGLM-_eHioly3GMJP74f3ltru

 

 



 

A/N: Hello!!! I MISS WENSEUL!!!!!!

anyway so I decided to do something different for the first Seuldy story of 2020! Tell me what you think about it, ye?

Till next time!~