Superbear

Cotton Candy

“Here you go, Seulgi! Your regular sugar powdered donut and one cup of hot choco~ I added extra whipped cream for you~” A small brunette finished, handing the paper bag containing the taller girl’s order.

 

“Thanks, Wan~ See you later!” Seulgi grinned, eyes turning into crescents as she took the paper bag from the younger one. She looked at her phone, scrunching her eyebrows before hastily waving a quick bye to Wendy and dashing out. The younger girl sighed, hand in a half wave as she watched Seulgi’s retreating figure.

 

‘And Superbear comes to the rescue once again! Easily dodging the bullets and taking out the holdappers and rescuing everyone from the bank!’

 

Wendy brightened as she watched the news, a quarter of her attention being given to the customer she’s serving. As expected of her favorite superhero.


 


 

In this world where Wendy lives, superheroes are a normal thing. Heroes with laser eyes that wear capes to heroes who just have tons of money to spare--building or buying their gadgets/superpowers. You name it and the world probably has them.

 

Now, you may be wondering if our resident donut baker and best hot choco maker is part of that superhero club, right? But rest assured, Wendy is just an exceptionally beautiful human being. But our Wendy, you see…she has a little secret… She knows who Superbear is; and it took her a bit of sleuthing (she thinks she’s Nancy Drew) and an accident for her to know.

 

It all started about a month ago. Wendy had just moved in Revel City, all excited about finally opening her very own café and being independent. She has high hopes for her business since there’s only like at most 10 café’s in all of Revel City to compete with and they are all spread out miles from each other. She’s the first one in this particular area to have opened and customers had quickly flocked in--some are excited while others are just curious--making a line that s till about a block away from hers.

 

“Hey, no cutting! I see you there mister! I will take you off the line personally!” Joy, her waitress turned guard, scolded the people who are unruly and rude, flexing her muscles and making threatening snarls if need be.

 

“Unnie, we need more of these choco butternut! They are selling out way too fast!” Yeri, another one of her waitresses, pointed towards a specific donut.

 

“Yer, wait a bit? I still have customers” Wendy haggardly said, punching the correct amount on her counter.

 

“I’ll get it~” The tallest volunteered. “You guys better be good while I’m gone or else no coffee or donuts for you!” She warned the people on the line before walking towards the back to get another tray of donuts.

 

It continued on like this for the rest of the day and when the last customer had left, they saw that it was almost closing time and all their donuts are mostly sold-out. Yeri and Joy sat down at one of the free tables, munching tiredly on some donuts that Wendy had handed them.

 

“I’m sorry, girls. I promise I’ll hire one more person!” She smiled apologetically at the two younger ones who just shook their heads.

 

“Don’t hire anyone for now, unnie.” Yeri started.

 

“This crowd will thin out in a week, you’ll see!” Joy added, giving the older one a thumbs up.

 

“But you guys are getting overworked and--”

 

“Unnie~~ It’s fine. We’re fine! We know that you’re still starting up this business and you might not be able to afford one more waitress.”

 

“Yeri’s right, unnie. We don’t want you suddenly closing because your shelling out more money than what the store actually gets. We can handle the crowd for now~” Wendy gave them a thankful smile before telling the two that they could leave already and she’ll be the one to clean up.

 

It was a few minutes after the two waitresses had bid Wendy goodbye when the latter heard the small jingle from the bell hanging at the door that indicates someone had just come in. She must have forgotten to flip the sign over to ‘close’. She sighed, an apologetic smile in place as she turned around and was met with the most warm brown eyes she had ever seen.

 

And then those eyes met hers.

 

“Hello~”

 

“H-hi”

 

“Uhm.. can I have a donut and a hot choco to go?” Wendy looked taken aback before glancing over at the donut rack.

 

“We only have the sugar powdered donut available. Most of our donuts have been sold out today”

 

“Oh, that’s no problem!” The customer grinned, “Powdered donuts are my favorite!”

 

“Alright! One sugar donut and a hot choco coming right up. May I have your name please?”

 

“Seulgi~”

 

“Okay, Seulgi” she feels the name roll of her lips smoothly, “that’ll be 10 dollars. Please wait for a moment.” The bear handed her the exact amount and Wendy had punched it in the cash register before smiling and turning around to get Seulgi’s orders. She handed it to the older one a few minutes later, smiling sweetly and mumbling a ‘come again’. Seulgi exited the shop all happy and Wendy had finally turned the door sign to close as she began cleaning up.

 

She heard the bell ring again not a minute later and she turned around curiously, “Sorry but we’re already clo--”

 

“Hands up, miss~ This is a robbery” She froze, broom in hand as her eyes begin to turn round from the shock. “I said hands up!” The robber has a gun pointed at her and she had quickly dropped the broom and her hands quickly shot up in the air.

 

“Okay good, now you’re going to go behind that cash register and give me all the money that’s in there, got it?” The robber demanded and when Wendy did not reply, the robber had shouted, “GOT IT?!” which startled the younger girl to nod before slowly walking towards the counter.

 

Wendy thinks that this is her end. She will die here after giving this robber all the money that she has yet to even count. All her hard work diminishing in front of her eyes and God, she hasn’t even given Joy and Yeri their well-deserved salary! On top of that, she’ll never see that cute girl ever again!

 

A ring of the bell and a gust of wind a second later had Wendy looking at a different scene in front of her. The robber now has his arms tied at the back while this superhero(?) wearing something like a bear eyemask was holding the robber down. She gasped, some coins dropping on the floor as she heard police sirens wailing just outside her shop.

 

“Try to rob this café again and I’ll make sure that jail will be the last thing you’ll see.” the superhero threatened as the police came barging in to take the robber away. She looked at Wendy who was still shock frozen behind the counter.

 

“Hey, miss, are you okay? Did he hurt you?”

“Uhm, I--” Wendy met eyes with the latter and she was reminded of soft brown ones just earlier. She felt herself relax, nodding her head, “I’m okay. T-thank you...”

 

“Superbear~ My name’s Superbear.”

 

“Thank you, Superbear~ I owe you.”

 

“Please, miss, it’s no big deal~” Wendy moved, walking towards the superhero and looking back at her eyes.

 

“It is to me. Please come by anytime and I’ll treat you to anything you like here~ Free of charge of course!”

 

“Ah, but miss??”

 

“It’s okay~ It’s the least I can do, superbear~” She made puppy eyes and the masked one looked away nervously before nodding her head in acceptance. Wendy looked on and the bear superhero looked back, then Wendy’s eyes darted to the taller one’s lips and lingered there.

 

“Uhm, I better g-go..” superbear coughed before dashing out of the store.

 

“Was that...sugar powder...” Wendy whispered to no one.

 

 

It was the following day and Wendy’s eyes are very attentive in finding a very familiar face in the crowd of customers. Yeri and Joy had been eyeing her both worriedly since that morning when she told them what had happened and the two youngest had insisted for their shop to be closed down for the day since they know that their boss might still be traumatized but Wendy shook them off as she flipped the door sign to open and customers begin filing in one by one.

 

It was a full house today but much lesser than the crowd from yesterday so Joy had time to actually serve customers instead of nagging them to stay in line and not push each other. A bun on the head had Wendy shaking behind the cash register as she served the customers with the fastest speed she could muster, that even the Flash will be proud of her, until she the customer with a bum was in front of her, smiling and eyes turning into adorable crescent shape.

 

“Goodmorning!” Wendy greeted, eyes bright and cheeks a bit flushed.

 

“Hello again~ How are you?” There was a tone of knowing in the girl’s voice and Wendy tilted her head to the side cutely.

 

“I’m good~”

 

“You’re not hurt or anything, right?” There was a beat of silence as the girl looked away, cheeks turning pink as she continued, “I-I heard about last night” At this point, Wendy’s eyes turned soft.

 

“I’m fine, don’t worry~ Thank you for asking” She smiled genuinely, “May I take your order?”

 

“Uhm OH YEah! Can I have one sugar powdered donut and a hot choco with whipped cream?”

 

“Sure, of course~ For Seulgi right?” The girl smiled even wider as she nodded, her bun bouncing a bit.

 

“This just in. The Racoon gang is once again attempting to rob a store and reports say that they have taken hostages alr--”


“Oh. Uhm, Do you have a comfort room here?” Seulgi suddenly asked as Wendy nodded and motioned to the door by the far corner of the shop. “Right, I’ll just be quick” and even before Wendy could agree, the cute girl was already rushing towards the CR. Not a few minutes later and Wendy’s ears perked up at the news announcer on the TV.

 

“Superbear is in pursuit of the Racoon robbers! It looks like the robbers are shooting back!” Wendy’s eyes moved up to watch the screen as the video of superbear avoiding what seemed like flying glass played. Superbear used her powers and laser zapped the robbers vehicle before super speeding towards them and before Wendy could even blink the bad guys were already tied up and being handed to the police and Superbear flying away.

 

“Hey, sorry I took so long. Is my order ready?” Seulgi asked startling Wendy who’s eyes were still on the television. “Is everything okay?”

 

“Oh, uhm, yeah.” Wendy answered, giving the other girl a paper bag containing her order before looking at Seulgi curiously for a long second before pointing, “Uhm.. youre.. You’re bleeding” Seulgi’s small eyes went wide as she touched her face and felt the sticky texture of blood.

 

“I-it’s fine. It’s no big deal! It’s just a scratch” the older girl tried to defend but Wendy had already motioned for Joy to take over the cash register.

 

“Come with me. I have a first aid kit at the back.” Wendy smiled and Seulgi can’t help but agree as the younger one held her wrist gently.

 

“Sit here~” Wendy instructed, rummaging the cabinet and pulling out a small box of what Seulgi assumes is the first aid kit.

 

“I’m really fine though...” Seulgi mumbled.

 

“I’m sure you are~” Wendy smiled, cotton pad in hand as she started cleaning the older one’s wound. They were engulfed in comfortable silence that both of them secretly are basking in before the younger one asked, “So how did you manage to get this while you were in the comfort room?”

 

“I-I-I must’ve scratched it with my nails” Seulgi flustered and Wendy hummed in response, both of them noticing the older one’s nails are short and clean.

 

“Done~” Wendy finished off with a band-aid with a bear print on it. “Promise me you’ll leave it on until you wash your face tonight? It might get infected if you take it off too early.” Seulgi nodded her head shyly, touching said bandage with her fingers.

 

That night, when superbear had visited her cafe to see how she’s doing, Wendy was quick to notice the bear print band aid peeking behind the bear’s mask and she smiled as she handed the superhero the free donut.

 



It was a couple of weeks when news shedding a negative light about Superbear had surfaced. When the superhero had saved an out of control bus filled with children on one end of the city and failed to save the few people shot at yet another robbery from the gang Raccoon robbers. Wendy had noticed the sad and sulky demeanor of her now friend (or maybe more) enter her cafe.

 

Seulgi took a seat by her favorite spot near the window overlooking the park in front and sighed before staring sadly outside. Yeri was already by Wendy’s side as she motioned for the older one to ‘go check on your girlfriend’ to which the latter had blushed and whispered ‘she’s not my girlfriend!’ back before walking towards the sulky girl with sugar powdered donut and hot choco in hand.

“Sulking at a fine day like this?” Wendy slid at the chair in front of Seulgi, handing the other girl her usual order who only sighed.

 

“I’m just.. Going through some stuff”

 

“Hmmm.” Wendy hummed as the two of them stayed silent, both looking outside and into the park where they can see children playing happily. “You know the news about Superbear” she began a few moments later.

 

“Yeah...” Seulgi paused, “you must think Superbear is worthless too, right? All of the news is saying that” The bear looked at her and Wendy noticed the fear and sadness behind the older one’s eyes and she had the urge to hug the taller one and fight everyone who ever hurt her.

 

Wendy cleared and shook her head before she looked back at the children playing with a small smile on her face. “Contrary to popular belief, I don’t much listen to the opinions of newscasters when it comes to superheroes and their criticisms about them. I think what Superbear did was extraordinary~ She saved all of those children’s lives and I’m definitely sure that those kids and even their parents are so extremely thankful to Superbear.” she paused, looking back at Seulgi with a soft smile “I believe Superbear did the right thing and the news people don’t understand that Superbear or even other superheroes are after all human. Exceptional and advanced humans but humans nonetheless. What happened with the robbery was sad but it’s definitely not Superbear’s fault. The police should’ve been able to handle that since that’s what they’re trained to do. If you ask me, they’re really getting so lazy what with the superheroes literally doing their job for them.” Wendy scoffed and rolled her eyes, “So yeah. I haven’t seen Superbear in a while now and I quite miss her.”

 

“Are you and Superbear close?” Seulgi suddenly asked and Wendy grinned.

 

“You could say that? She comes here some nights to eat donuts. I’m very fond of her~”

 

“...Do… do you have a crush on her or something?” Wendy laughed before standing up.

 

“What if I do?” she answered, loud enough for Seulgi to hear, before walking back behind the counter.


 


 

It’s been a few days since she last saw Seulgi or Superbear. The hero has been going on around the world in some revengers league stuff along with other superheroes like Icy (a girl with pink hair who has, weirdly enough, fire power), Mitzy (a girl who seems to look like a little bear cub with ice power), and Baechu (an earth controller who likes throwing cabbage for some odd enough reason and who’s always beside superbear).

 

Wendy’s eyes trained back to the TV screen again as she watched the revengers league meet another president of another country and Baechu and Superbear laughing at something behind the speaker. She sighed, handing the customer their orders before going to sit by a free table. Business has been good lately, the throngs of people the first week they opened had thinned out a bit and there are fewer people but their donuts will still be sold out by the end of the day which is good. She doesn’t want to admit it but she’s kind of jealous of that other superhero that’s always with Superbear, not to mention that she actually misses said superhero and her alter ego.

 

“Unnie, here this came for you...again” Yeri eyed the flowers she’s holding.

 

“Thanks, Yer~” Wendy smiled softly as she took the flowers. For the past week, she had been receiving either a bouquet of flowers, a card coming from some country, or a message telling her sorry for missing donut nights. She honest-to-god wishes that it’s from Seulgi but she doesn’t want to assume anything even though it’s obviously the superhero.

 

She sighed for the upteenth time today as she went up to her apartment just above her shop. She opened the window to let some fresh air in and saw that the sky are filled with stars and was caught up staring at it, wondering what the bear is doing now. Hoping that she won’t forget Wendy who seems to have fallen already and is not ready to come back up.

 

A swoosh of the wind and Wendy found herself staring at a familiar figure standing in front of her cafe downstairs.

 

“Superbear?” She called out and the figure looked up, a big grin spreading on her face as she flew up and stopped in front of Wendy’s window.

 

“Hey~” the superhero greeted breathlessly.

 

“H-hi…” Wendy flushed, “do..do you wanna come in?” Superbear nodded and Wendy gave way. The hero climbed in smoothly and the two are suddenly face-to-face and both of them are just looking at each other, smiles mirroring, and hearts beating from excitement.

 

“Hi”

 

“Hi~”

 

“So uh-” ”Do you want some-” they both said at the same time then stopped before giggling.

 

“You go first~” Wendy motioned to the chair and superbear nodded before sitting down, eyes never leaving Wendy’s.

 

“Yeah, uhmm, so I was wondering if you got the stuff I sent you…?” There was a tinge of red on the hero’s ears as she asked.

 

“Y-yeah~” Wendy’s cheeks felt warm as she lowered her gaze shyly, peaking at the vases of flowers and stacks of cards she had placed at the middle of the table.

 

“Great! I..I kinda flew them in myself and yeah..” Superbear trailed off, cheeks now the same shade as Wendy’s.

 

“Why didn’t you just give them to me yourself?”

 

“I just snuck out of the revengers league to deliver those. Baechu‘s really strict lately.” Superbear explained, missing the raise on Wendy’s eyebrows.

 

“Hmmm.” The latter hummed, turning away and busying herself in the kitchen. “I guess you came here for some donut and hot choco right?”

 

“Uhhhh--”

 

“You and Baechu must be close, no?” Wendy started, pulling out a sugar powdered donut from the small rack she has and went on to make the hot choco.

 

“Yeah, Baechu and I grew up together~” Superbear said happily and the room was filled with silence as the bear watched Wendy make the yummy concuction that she admitedly misses apart from the person making it of course.

 

“Actually,” the older one began as Wendy placed the drink and dessert in front of the bear and sat down opposite her, “I came because I.. uhmm.. I...” she looked away, “missed you”

 

“.....oh...did you sneak out again…?” Wendy asked. “I don’t want to get you in trouble with your girlfriend, Seulgi.”

 

“Huh? I don’t have a girlfriend. That’s what I’m here for!”

 

“What do you mean? I thought you and Baechu are a couple?”

 

“What?! No! Baechu’s my sister!”

 

“Oh...O H.”Wendy’s eyes were like saucers as formed into an ‘o’ shape. It took a few seconds before she realized something and scrunched her eyebrows in question, “What do you mean that’s what you’re here for?”

 

“OH UHM, YOU SEE I.. HMM.. I”

 

“Hm?”

 

“I heaRD THaT YOU MIGHT HAVE A CRUSH ON ME SO IM YOU KnoW KInDA HAVE A CRUSH oN YOU TOO BUT IM NOT SURE SO YEAH”

 

“I...I actually have a crush on this girl named Seulgi...” Wendy noticed the bear was about to grin then became confused before closing and opening like she’s fighting herself to say something, “which is a good thing for you right, Seulgi?” Wendy smiled softly, moving forward and palms landing on both sides of the superhero’s shocked face. Wendy moved her palms higher, caressing the older one’s face and sliding the bear mask up, revealing the cute little small eyes of the latter.

 

“Ho-how did you know?”

 

“Secret~” Wendy whispered as she moved in and closed the gap between the two of them.


 


 

It was the present day and Wendy had just closed the cafe, waving goodbye to Joy and Yeri who had been such a huge part of her booming business. She grabbed the sugar powdered donut she had placed aside and the cup of hot chocolate that she freshly made before going up to her apartment.

 

A swoosh and a thud later and she found herself face to face with none other than superbear, who was already leaning in. She laughed before pecking the older girl’s lips who was grinning through the kiss.

 

“I was actually just getting the donuts but thanks for the kiss, Wannie!” She grinned some more before biting the donut and leaving some sugar powder all over her lips. Wendy laughed.

 

“If you’re not careful,” Wendy began, sliding the mask out of Seulgi’s face, “that sugar powder might just reveal your secret.” she winked, kissing the bear once more before walking away, leaving a stunned Seulgi with a half-eaten donut and sugar powder all over.

 

“WaIT! IS THAT HOW YOU KNEW?!!!”



A/N: AHHHHHHHH!!! HAPPY 5TH ANNIVERSARY TO RED VELVET!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM SO MUCH AHHHHH PLS STREAM ZIMZALABIM!!!