Delinquent

Cotton Candy

Everyone had warned her about the certain trainee--had warned her to stay away because she’s bad news, had warned her that she’s trouble in the making, but here she is now, getting pulled by this certain person as they both ran out of the company building, heading somewhere she has no idea about.

 

She entered the company about three months ago along with two other people. They attended some sort of seminar, briefing them about the do’s and don’ts, the which and where all around, and the rules of the company, all of which she listened to whole heartedly. Afterwards, the other trainees had made it their duty to tell them what the ‘other’ rules are and who to avoid. One name had been mentioned multiple times:

 

Kang Seulgi. 

 

Trainee and delinquent.

 

One said that she once beat up their dance trainer so badly that the trainer had to be brought to the hospital.

 

“We should avoid her as much as we can.” the other new trainee, Yeri, whispered between them sounding a bit worried. They all nodded in agreement as the staff continued to show them around the building.


 


 

The next few weeks were a blur. She excelled quite easily in every aspect of the vocal training and is doing well in the physical exercises given to her; everything except dancing. This is where she’s having a hard time and lagging behind the others.

 

Her dance teacher had sighed in defeat trying to teach her how to move her body and failing. The class had been dismissed early thanks to her inability to even know the correct placement of her foot. The others had looked at her in pity before getting their things and walking out of the practice room. She held in a sob as she glared at her feet who she blames for everything before going to the computer to start playing the song again.

 

She was practicing for more than three hours already but she still can’t seem to get the moves correctly. She was so focused on her feet that she didn’t notice the door to the room open and close until someone has placed their hand on her arms causing her to let out a short scream before it was silenced by piercing eyes. She gulped as the other person let go of her hand and began speaking.

 

“Your stepping wrongly, try doing this.” the girl motioned for Wendy to look at her feet and demonstrated the step slowly, “And one and two and three then repeat. And one and two and three. Do it with me.” And the canadian girl obeyed, looking closely at the foot works and no less than five minutes into it, she had already mastered the step she’s been having trouble with.

 

“The instructor’s moves usually look like it’s difficult plus the fact that they’re very intimidating really doesn’t help much… but if you break the steps down into simple ones you know and add just a bit of pop into the footwork, it’s basically the same.” The girl explained, shouldering the gym bag she had on earlier before walking towards the practice door. “You better pack up, the sunabes are going to be using this room in a few minutes.” and with that being said, the girl was out the door leaving Wendy staring at the retreating figure.


 


 

“Wendy! I told you it’s step, step, three quarters turn, then step, full turn! And your hands! What is it doing gangling there?! You have to put it like this!” the instructor scolded her again for the nth time today. She tried it once more before the instructor sighed in defeat, shaking her head once again,  and telling Wendy that she’s leaving and to practice the step thoroughly if the younger one ever wants to debut.

 

“One and two and three and one and two and three” she chanted as she tried to do the steps, tears streaming down her face. After an hour or two of non-stop practice, she sat down, her head hung low as she just let the tears fall down.

 

Something soft touched her skin. She slowly looked up and saw a handkerchief being handed to her by none other than the delinquent herself. She stared a bit more, vision blurry from the tears that kept on falling, the older girl made a move to wipe the tears, gently and slowly before offering her hand.

 

“C’mon” she took the offered hand and she was pulled up. The older girl then motioned for Wendy to follow what she was doing. The latter had stared dumbly for a minute before realizing that the delinquent--that she noticed has some bear-like features-- was actually teaching her the dance moves. They stayed until Wendy had gotten the steps correctly plus some additional advanced dance moves that they will be learning in the upcoming weeks.

 

“Uhm, s-sunbae--” Wendy turned around only to see the older girl had already left while she was busy with her things. “I didn’t even get to say thank you...”


 


 

“Have you heard?”

 

“The delinquent was scolded for skipping again”

 

“I heard she was given cleaning duty for a month for shouting at another sunbae!”

 

“I heard she PUNCHED that sunbae!!”

 

These were the whisperings that Wendy heard all around as she entered the building. It had been a few weeks after the delinquent had helped her out and she was a bit shocked and confused to hear all these rumors.

 

“Hey, what’s happening?” She called one of her trainee friends, Yeri. The younger one had looked around in wary before answering in a whisper,

 

“Kang Seulgi was caught punching a sunbae so hard that she broke his nose!”

 

“Huh? Which sunb--” her words were cut half-way as the said sunbae walked in with a bandaged nose. She gasped, “she punched Leetuk sunbae?!” she whispered-shouted at her friend who only nodded, face grim. She then saw said delinquent enter followed by another girl. Leetuk and the bear like girl had noticed each other with the latter glaring at the older guy before the other girl had pulled the bear-like trainee away.

 

Wendy’s eyes followed the figure of her dance saviour, eyes observing intently the way the bear’s face softened when she looked at the girl she was with. She found herself frowning at the image but didn’t have time to dwell into the emotions behind it as Yeri had pulled her towards their class.


 


 

 

She was staying late again to practice some dance steps. She had gotten a whole lot better ever since the bear like delinquent had taught her some advanced moves and some tips. She had packed-up already and was walking towards the exit when she noticed one of the training rooms still had a light on. Being the curious person that she is, she had walked on over there and peeked. She was left speechless seeing the motions and every step that the girl was doing. Even without hearing the music, she can feel the beat with every move that the girl inside was making.

 

“Holy mother--” she whispered, eyes still trained on the figure of the person moving so gracefully and powerfully. She was in too much awe that it was late when she notice that the girl had stopped and was staring right back at her. She felt her face heat up and was about ready to run out and away when the girl inside had motioned for her to come in.

 

She hesitated.

 

Should she?

 

“Ahhh, whatever.” She whispered, opening the door courageously and stepping inside.

 

“Hi.”

 

“H-hello.”

 

“You practicing late too?”

 

A nod.

 

“I’m Seulgi by the way.”

 

“I know.”

 

A laugh had her looking at the girl’s face more intently, eyes locking with each other. She sees the eyesmile and the bear-like smile that she had found adorable. She felt her heart soften at the sight.

 

“You're Seungwan, right?” She hasn’t been called her korean name for a long while and it’s so unfamiliar to her now but she can’t help but nod at the girl in front of her.

 

“Yes, sunbaenim”

 

“You want to eat some ramen with me? I get quite hungry after practice”

 

“But isn’t ramen prohibited?”

 

“Yeah, but who will stop us?” There was a twinkle in the girl’s eyes and Wendy really shouldn’t be breaking any rules--hell, she is an outstanding person who follows the rules-- but here she is, nodding her head in agreement and she thinks that it’s definitely worth it when she saw how big the smile had gotten on the delinquent’s cute face.



 


 

 

It was supposed to be a one time thing but Wendy had found herself staying a bit later than necessary more than a few times and walking a bit until she finds a practice room with an open light, peeking in to see the bear like girl practicing. She’ll wait till the latter had noticed her and motioned for her to come in and after a while they’ll go out to eat ramen or ice cream.

 

She noticed the contradictions of what the other’s think of this certain delinquent and what she now knew. Seulgi, although reserved and has an untouchable aura, is actually a really kind and soft person. Proven with the fact that the girl had stopped Wendy in stepping on the weed flower and almost crying when she accidentally stepped on a caterpillar. The older girl also laughs and smiles a lot albeit the poker face that she usually wears when there are tons of other people around.

 

“Hey sunbae, can I ask you a question?” she blurted out one certain night. The older girl had stopped mid-slurp of her ramen. Wendy laughed at the cuteness of her friend.

 

“Stop calling me sunbae!! We’re the same age!!” the older one had scoffed, quite flustered. Wendy smirked knowing too well that her friend gets embarrassed with this.

 

“Ahhh but you’re my sunbaenim!”

 

“Nooooo~ Stop!!”

 

“Why’s your face and ears red? Perhaps, you like being called sunbaenim?” she teased. Seulgi looked away and mumbled ‘only by you’ which was low enough that the younger one didn’t hear. “What was that sunbae?”

 

“Nothing! What’s your question?”

 

“Ah~ Uhmm, I don’t know how to say it properly...I don’t mean to offend you in any way! I’m just really curious okay! You don’t have to answer it if you don’t want to and--” Seulgi laughed.

 

“Just ask, Wan”

 

“Uhm, okay… uhm. You seeee.. Do you know that the other trainees think you’re like this delinquent badass person that breaks rules and stuff?”

 

“Hmmm” the older one hummed, looking in deep thought before answering, “yeah, I guess?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Well, I kind of know that the other trainees are scared of me? And they think that I’m bad or something but me and my friends just laugh about that.”

 

“Really?!”

 

“Yeah! Krystal has the same image as well, right? It’s fun when I see the newer and younger trainees bow and leave the comfort room quickly when she enters. Like, we’re not going to eat them alive or anything.” Seulgi laughed and Wendy smiled at the way the older girl sounded.

 

“How do you deal with that though?”

 

“Sometimes I have fun with it? Joohyun unnie has a lot of younger trainees following her around since she’s really pretty--like a flower!-- and when I see that she’s getting overwhelmed, I just walk on over to her and watch as the little caterpillars scurry away from unnie.”

 

“Oh.” Wendy didn’t like the way Seulgi had compared Joohyun sunbae to a flower so enthusiastically.

 

“But,” the bear continued, “most of the time I don’t mind it as long as those special to me knows that I’m not like that.” she smiled, staring--in Wendy’s biased opinion-- fondly back at the younger one.


 


 

Wendy feels like it’s a secret what she and the delinquent has. They don’t interact with each other in the daylight, Seulgi usually throws her a quick smile--too quick for anyone to notice-- before going back to her poker face, while she just stares longingly at the older girl--subtly, of course, that her friends think that she’s just spacing out. But when night time falls and it’s just her spending a bit more time in the practice room before walking over to where Seulgi is, their eyes connecting and smiles being given out, it makes it feel more intimate; like it’s just hers and Seulgi’s special time.

 

So imagine her shock when she excitedly opened the door to the practice room that the older one was occupying and being greeted by two people instead of just the person she was expecting.

 

“Oh.” She halted half-way through the practice room. Two pairs of eyes looked at her, one already smiling while the other looks like it’s shining brightly. “Sorry, I just thought--”

 

“Wan!” Seulgi jumped up from where she was sitting at and had quickly grabbed the younger one’s arm, pulling her closer to where the other girl is. “This is Joohyun unnie!” the bear introduced, “Joohyun unnie this is--”

 

“Wendy. Nice to meet you Joohyun sunbae.” She gave a polite bow and smiling a bit. Joohyun laughed and Wendy can’t help but think that life is unfair. ‘A beautiful girl who even laughs beautifully. God must favor some more than others.’

 

“Nice to meet the ever so famous Wendy that I keep on hearing about.”

 

“What?”

 

“Seulgi here can’t stop talking about the cut--ow!! KANG. SEULGI. DID YOU JUST ELBOW ME IN THE RIBS?!” Joohyun glared at the delinquent who was sticking out her tongue at the oldest. “I SWEAR TO GOD IF MY BONES BREAK--”

 

“OLDIE!”

 

“YAH! HOW DARE YOU!!” and the two friends had playfully chased each other in the practice room leaving Wendy feeling like there’s a pang in her chest while watching Seulgi laugh and smile.

 

She was quiet the whole time they were eating ice cream, observing how the two friends are acting with each other. She noticed how close they are--too close to be just simple friends. She noticed how even before Seulgi had said anything, Joohyun had already handed her what she wanted. She noticed how the bear is protective of the oldest, especially the stories with the older sunbaes trying to make a move on the oldest, some of them being so pushy as to touch Joohyun inappropriately which made Seulgi’s punching rumor to be true. She noticed these simple things but didn’t notice the way that Joohyun was looking back at her and Seulgi.

 


 

It wasn’t that she was avoiding the delinquent bear, really, it’s really not that at all. It’s just, seeing how close Seulgi and Joohyun were made her realize that maybe just maybe the bear actually likes someone else already and not that Wendy had realize that she has a big fat crush on the said delinquent and thought that avoiding her would be what’s best for both of them. She didn’t want to ruin friendships after all. So she’s definitely not avoiding the bear.

 

“I heard Seulgi sunbaenim had pushed a sunbae!” her friend, Yeri, had began whispering to them, clutching the strawberry milk and looking warily around the cafeteria.

 

“Who is it this time?”

 

“I’m not sure.”

 

“She’s just probably protecting her friend” Wendy chimed in, shocking both herself and the other trainees.

 

“But being violent… plus the fact that the instructors or management aren’t really doing anything about it...” the other trainee voiced out.

 

“The management is probably scared of her too?” Yeri whispered and Wendy can’t help but roll her eyes at that. She doesn’t like hearing how they talk about the bear especially when they don’t know anything about how soft Seulgi really is.

 

“Let’s not judge her all that quickly.” Yeri and the other trainees looked at her like she just said something awful.

 

“Since when are you and the delinquent close?”

 

“Unnie, you better stay away from that girl, I don’t want you getting in trouble and be kicked out!” Yeri warned and her eyebrows twitched in irritation. She was about to open to say something when the delinquent bear came in the cafeteria, seemingly looking around until she and Wendy met eyes. There was a twinkle in Seulgi’s eyes and a small smirk and before she knew it, the older girl was in front of her--shocking everyone, quickly pulling her hands and the two of them running out of the cafeteria, out the building, and into the street without Wendy knowing where they’re going.

 

“Seul!” She shouted, one hand on her knees as she tried to catch her breath. She looked up, seeing the older girl panting hard too but a smile playing on her face. “What the hell?”

 

“Joohyun unnie texted me saying you’re about to fight someone. Couldn’t let someone special to me be kicked out.” Wendy glared at the bear before retaliating.

 

“Says the one who pushed another sunbae again!” Seulgi scrunched her eyebrows and pouted, mumbling something under her breath. “What was that?”

 

“Nothing!”

 

A glare.

 

“Fine! I just said that sunbae was an !”

 

“What? Did she try to hit on your Joohyun unnie?”

 

“No.”

 

“Then why are you causing trouble then?!” She crossed her arms and huffed.

 

“He was placing a bet with the others that you’d give in to him on at least your third date and I got so pissed about him talking that way about you that I pushed him. I was about to punch him but then unnie stopped me saying that if I do that then I’ll get kicked out making me lose like 90% of my chance on asking you out.”

 

“......what….” Wendy stared at the taller girl unbelievingly while the latter looked away shyly, ears and cheeks tinging red. Her heart felt unbelievably warm and it’s like she’s dreaming. Their eyes met again and she saw the worry in Seulgi’s eyes, she held out her hand and took the bear’s, eyes twinkling with delight and cheeks hurting from the smile that she’s donning.

 

“If you got kicked out, the chances of me saying yes to you would’ve dropped to like 5% just so you know. I don’t like delinquents.” There was a teasing smile on her face and Seulgi had squinted her eyes playfully at her, visibly relaxing knowing that Wendy felt the same way.

 

“You don’t like delinquents and yet you’re going to date one?”

 

“Who says were datin--” her sentence was cut-off when she felt the older girl’s lips on her own before it disappeared again, leaving her flustered.

 

“YAH!!!” She shouted as her bear chuckled heartily, intertwining their fingers together. She glared playfully but deep down she knows that it’s okay to date this delinquent named Seulgi.

 



A/N: Hello again! This is the delinquent!Seul AU that's been in my archives for the longest time and I really wanted to finish it and here it is!!! I have tons of drafts (like srsly) and I'm trying to write them one by one. But new AU ideas are always welcome~

Talk to me or just send me random AU ideas (I also started writing BP ship Chaennie and no one can stop me)

OH! and if you follow me on twitter then you'll know about the JoyRene-WenSeul Social Media AU I'm doing (*ehemitmightbeatrilogywiththelastcouplebeingmynewshipehem*)

Till next time!