Prettier

Cotton Candy

A phone buzzes underneath the pillow of a still sleeping figure. A hand slipped under said pillow to retrieve the phone and the person had sleepily opened the message:

 

Seulbear

7:09 A.M.

Wan-ah, my looooveee~

Good morning! ♪( ´▽`)

I can’t wait to see you later~ I’ll pick you up around lunchtime, okay? You’re free after that, right? Let’s spend time together~~

I love you, my fluffy wan

 

Wendy smiled at the message she had just read and decided to get up and get ready for the day ahead. Her heart fluttering at the thought of her girlfriend. They’ve been together for almost a year but her feelings for the girl is still as fresh as the first time she realized she’s in love with her cute bear and she still feels electric even at the thought of her.

 

She looked at her reflection in the mirror once she finished getting ready and grinned before leaving her house and going to work. Wendy runs a successful recording studio along with her friend and co-owner, Irene. The two had met in college and had quickly hit it off as friends and business partners.

 

“Good morning~” Wendy greeted the receptionist, Joy. The younger one smiled radiantly.

 

“Good morning, unnie~Yeri is with Irene unnie giving a briefing on the scheduled artist for today.”  She explained as she pointed towards the recording room. Wendy saluted and waved a bye to Joy before entering the room.

 

“Hey~” she greeted and the two people in the room and the two had stopped talking and looked at her.

 

“Hi unnie!~ You’re getting prettier and prettier every time I see you!” Yeri grinned. Wendy rolled her eyes playfully.

 

“I am not.”

 

“It’s because she’s in looOooove~~~” Irene sing-songed. Wendy’s cheeks became red and she cleared .

 

“Okay, who’s recording today?” She tried to change the subject and the two other girls laughed at her before Yeri spoke.

 

“As I was telling unnie earlier, Kwon Yuri’s releasing a single for her fans and she’s going to be here in about…..now” and as if on cue,  in came the black pearl of Korea, smiling hugely as she walked towards the flustered hamster.

 

“Wendy! My favorite future sister-in-law! Come and give your unnie a hug!~” Yuri grinned as she pulled Wendy in with the latter internally screaming at having her Seulbear’s sister here.

 

“U-unnie! You should’ve told me you were coming! I would’ve dressed better!” Wendy blurted out and Yuri laughed and looked at her with mirth.

 

“No need. My sister thinks you’re beautiful even if you just wear a garbage bag. Tho, I would prefer for you two to be with each other. On the bed. I offered to pay for your hotel if you want but Seulgi had looked… Exactly like what you look like right now!” The eldest had pointed out. Wendy was blushing so hard and stuttering and looking like she just wanted for the earth to bury her whole.

 

“U-u-unnie, let’s just s-s-start recording.” Wendy mumbled as she pointed for Yuri to enter the recording booth. Yuri laughed and glared at Wendy playfully,

 

“I’m getting old, I want to see my nephews and nieces before I leave this Earth...” she sighed dramatically and Wendy rolled her eyes.

 

“You’re like five years older than me”

 

“Aish, still the same. What if I fell down a rabbit hole tomorrow and never come back?!”

 

“Taeyeon unnie will probably kill you...” Yeri mumbled as Yuri went inside the recording booth.  

 

“I heard that!” Yuri shouted as they all laughed together.

 

While they were all busy with making Yuri’s record, Wendy’s mind had wandered to that Sunday morning where their first kiss happened.

 

It was really an accident, according to Wendy. Seulgi had just entered the recently opened recording studio and was trying to look for people to talk to. She, like her sister Yuri, had already made a name for herself in the entertainment world as a soloist performer. She had been dubbed as the second BoA by almost all of the biggest news and critiques... and here she was, looking for somewhere fresh to record her new album. The last recording studio she went to had become too crowded for her.

 

As the bear walked around the recording studio, she heard someone grunting in one of the rooms and being the curious person she is, she peeked inside and saw a small girl, standing on a chair and trying to install something on the corner ceiling.

 

“Excuse me?” she called out and the short girl had turned around and looked at her with raised eyebrows which made Seulgi almost forget how to speak. “Uhm… Do you need help?” the short girl smiled and nodded her head.

 

“Yes, please, if it's not any trouble. My friend was supposed to be here an hour ago to install this but...” the shorter girl tried to explain and Seulgi smiled her bear smile before getting the small speaker from the girl’s hand and climbing up the chair. “Do you know how to install it?” the shorter one asked as she looked at Seulgi’s towering frame.

 

“Yes, don’t worry~” Seulgi smiled again before installing the speaker with ease and climbing down the chair and looking at the girl proudly.

 

“Thank you!” the short  girl exclaimed. “I’ve been trying for like 30 minutes now. I’m Wendy by the way.” she held out her hand and the bear shook it.

 

“Seulgi.” there was silence as the two stared into each other’s eyes.

 

“....Right.” Wendy said awkwardly, blushing at the look she’s receiving, “so, uhm, let me go make something for us to drink… you can sit down and..” Wendy dejectedly took back her hand, “I’ll be back in a bit.” Seulgi grinned and nodded her head cutely before sitting down on the chair she was standing on before and waiting patiently for Wendy.

 

The shorter one came back a few minutes later with a tray in her hands. Seulgi quickly stood up and tried to help the girl but Wendy just smiled and shook her head a bit and told the bear to sit down.

 

“So, Seulgi, what are you doing lurking around my recording studio?” Wendy asked playfully as she handed the cup of tea to the bear. Seulgi laughed.

 

“You own this place?”

 

“Yes. What’s so funny?”

 

“Nothing. I was actually looking for a new recording studio to record an album.” Seulgi smiled.

 

“Oh, well… I don’t know what to say, this is a new recording studio and we’re still a baby in the business world but we know how everything works… and we try our best…?” Wendy finished lamely and Seulgi had laughed once again at how cute this girl Wendy is. “Are you the one making the album?” Seulgi smiled and nodded.

 

“You’re not from here, are you?” Wendy blushed.

 

“I.. I  just moved from Canada. My business partner is the one who’s from here.” Wendy blushed before her eyes widened. “Are you perhaps someone big in the entertainment world?” Seulgi smiled with eyes twinkling.

 

“Nah, I’m just an indie singer.” Partly true. “I’m not famous.” LIES. “I’m just looking for somewhere I can record my new album without all those fangirls in the vicinity waiting for their oppas and unnies to come out of the studio, you know?” Truth.

 

“Oh, well, since you helped me out earlier, you can record your album here for free!” Wendy offered and Seulgi almost got a heart attack at that gorgeous smile that the smaller girl is donning.

 

“I-I-I’ll pay! You can’t just give people free service, especially because you’re a start-up company.”

 

“But you helped me earlier, so I insist.”

 

“N-No. This yummy tea is payment enough for my help earlier.” Seulgi finished and Wendy gave in.

 

“Fine. But the recording of your next album or single will be free of charge. That’s a promise.” Wendy gave Seulgi a winning smile and the bear nodded in defeat. The two talked some more for a while until they heard someone calling Wendy’s name and Seulgi’s phone signalling that she received a new message.

 

“Oh that must be Irene unnie.” Wendy said as she stood up. “I’m in the recording booth, unnie!” She called out while Seulgi had finished replying to the person who texted her.

 

“That’s my unnie. She’s in front of the studio now and picking me up.” Seulgi smiled.

 

“Wendy, did you know there’s a nice BMW parked out front?” Irene commented as she entered the room and was stunned shock.

 

“Well, I guess I have to go. I’ll see you next week, Wendy.” Seulgi leaned in for a hug and Wendy did the same but they leaned in on the same side and the two had accidentally kissed.There was silence in the room and both girls looked at each other shocked before Wendy quickly and awkwardly laughed it off with her face turning red as a tomato and her heart fluttering badly.

 

“Sorry about that. I’ll see you next week, Seul!” she waved at the also red-faced bear. Seulgi waved back and began walking.

 

“See you next week, Irene unnie.” Seulgi smiled before exiting the studio and hearing a faint “THAT WAS KWON SEULGI!” being shouted inside. She chuckled and entered her unnie’s car.

 

“Found a nice recording studio?” Yuri asked as she started the engine.

 

“A beautiful one, unnie.” Seulgi answered with a smile.

 

Wendy was brought back from her internal daydreaming by none other than Seulgi herself.

 

“Wan, you should stop daydreaming of me while working. It’s not a good thing for business.” Seulgi’s face was a few inches from Wendy’s, eyes turning into crescent shapes and hands waving in front of the hamster’s face playfully. Wendy rolled her eyes.

 

“Who said I was thinking of you. Maybe I was thinking of someone else.” Seulgi’s eyesmile turned into wide saucers, then squinted into a glare.

 

“Son Seungwan...” Seulgi whispered lowly. Wendy laughed and gave her girlfriend a quick peck on the lips before pushing the bear’s face away and finishing her work, giving Yuri an ‘Ok’ sign. Yuri exited the booth and Seulgi gave her a quick hug.

 

“Hey unnie~ Recording went great?”

 

“Flawless.”

 

“Oh yeah, Taeyeon unnie called me...What did you do this time?” Yuri looked like she was hit with something hard.

 

“. I GOT TO GO. BYE. I’LL COME BACK TOMORROW OKAY.” Yuri had quickly dashed out of the studio and Seulgi laughed out loud.

 

“................Seul...” Wendy called out after she finished saving the files and letting Yeri do the rest.

 

“Yes, love?”

 

“That was a prank wasn’t it...” at this, Seulgi had laughed even more with hands slapping her legs. Wendy shook her head at her stupid girlfriend and pulled Seulgi out of the room. “Where are we eating lunch?” Seulgi quickly composed herself into a grin before intertwining fingers with her lovely girlfriend and pulling her closer.

 

“Kiss first.” the bear mumbled and Wendy had cringed at the cuteness before giving in and placing a sweet kiss on her Seulgi. “Hmm. Remember almost a year ago? We’re going to the same place.” How can Wendy forget that place where Seulgi had confessed her love for the hamster so cutely. Seulgi had already opened the passenger door to her car and gently closed it when Wendy was inside. She quickly ran to the driver’s door and went in, quickly turning towards Wendy and reaching out to fasten the hamster’s seatbelt before doing her own.

 

“Why? What’s the occasion?” Wendy finally asked after she had fussed over Seulgi trying to fasten her seatbelt which she demanded that ‘I can do it on my own!’’

 

“Nothing. Should there always be an occasion for me to treat you like my queen?” Wendy blushed.

 

“...you always treat me great, love.”

 

“You know my motto, right?” Seulgi winked before continuing, “Why treat my Wendy special for just one day when I can treat her like the queen she is everyday!” she exclaimed and Wendy had blushed even harder. There was a comfortable silence while Seulgi was driving to their destination and Wendy’s mind had wandered to the time where the older one had confessed to her.

 

It was funny in Wendy’s opinion. Seulgi had brought her to this secret garden place near the mountains which is also a hotel and restaurant space. Seulgi had dropped by the recording studio randomly the week before and Joy--just a new receptionist back then-- almost had a heart attack and was hyperventilating seeing THE Seulgi in front of her. She had quickly grabbed the phone and clicked the line connecting to Wendy and Irene’s office and had squeaked/squealed out “KWON SEULGiiiiiiII” before going back to hyperventilating. Seulgi had smiled at Joy and patted her head before walking in towards the head office and greeting Wendy with “I see you have a new receptionist. By the way, are you free next week? There’s this place I want to show you.” Wendy was so shocked out of her mind that she just dumbly answered ‘yes’. Seulgi smiled at her before waving a goodbye and going out like nothing happened. The two had been obviously crushing on each other hard and have been hanging out almost every other day and texting and calling each other 24/7.

 

The next week, Seulgi had driven them up near the mountains and they ate at the restaurant for lunch before the bear had asked her if she wanted to look around which the curious Wendy quickly agreed. They were roaming around the quaint garden when Wendy had noticed how unusually fidgety and nervous Seulgi was. She had placed a worried hand on the taller one’s arm and asked,

 

“You okay, Seul?” Seulgi, the once charismatic and charming bear had become a total stuttering mess.

 

“I-I-I’m o-okay.” Seulgi paused and took a deep breath before looking at Seungwan’s eyes, “Actually, I-I wanted to tell you something...” Wendy cutely cocked her head to the side and Seulgi almost fainted.

 

“What is it, Seul?”

 

“uhm… you see… The first day we met, you remember?” Wendy nodded.”you kissed me.”

 

“It was an accident!” Wendy blushed and slapped Seul’s arm gently. Seulgi laughed, regaining her confidence.

 

“Says you. For all I know it was a ploy to make me fall for you.” Seulgi paused and Wendy had looked away and blushed even darker, “you know they say that I’m getting prettier everytime they see me...”she cleared , “if it was..then it’s probably because of you... Congratulations Wendy Son, you have succeeded in your ploy. I, Seulgi Kwon, have fallen hard for you,” Wendy’s head had turned to Seulgi so fast that the latter thought it was going to break, “I...wanted to ask if you might feel the same for me even just a little bit...” she mumbled. There was this silence for the longest time in Seulgi’s life (it was actually just a few minutes but to Seul if felt like forever). When she still didn’t hear any response from the younger one, she had let out a loud awkward laugh.

 

“HA HA HA YoU DOn’T HAVE TO ANSWER. HA HA HA. LEt’s go And eat cake!~” Seulgi exclaimed as she began walking towards the garden’s entrance to the cafe and quickly picking out a table and sitting stiffly and looking everywhere except for the younger one. Wendy followed suit, face blushing and eyes casts downwards in embarrassment. Seulgi had ordered them two different flavoured cakes since she knows that Wendy’s favourite is strawberry short cake while she likes the chocolate truffle one. They were covered in different kinds of silence: one with an ‘I ed up, stay cool’ and the other with ‘is this real life???’ until the waitress returned with their orders. Seulgi pushed the strawberry cake to Seungwan and gave her a reassuring smile to say that ‘I’m okay.’ Seungwan, still couldn’t believe that her crush is also crushing on her, nodded her head dumbly while trying to fix her mental breakdown. They had stayed quiet while nibbling on their cakes. Seulgi was looking out the window, looking like she’s observing the flowers but she was honestly giving herself a pep talk about everything that happened. Wendy cleared , finally able to compose herself after an idea hit her.

 

“Seul.. do you want to taste my cake?” Seulgi looked at Wendy in question before the girl pointed to the strawberry cake in front of her.

 

“u-hm… okay?” Seulgi answered, smiling at Wendy who finally uttered a word. Wendy stood up and Seulgi looked at her curiously. There was silence as Seulgi felt lips on her own and then some mental screaming after realizing that Seungwan was kissing her.

“I’ve fallen for you too.” Wendy whispered after she broke the kiss, her breath hitting Seulgi’s lips.


Wendy was taken out of her little reverie when the car stopped and Seulgi had unbuckled her seatbelt. She glared at the bear playfully before mumbling “I can do that!” which Seulgi only laughed at and quickly stole a kiss which made her heart have erratic palpitations. The two went inside the cafe and had sat in the same seat area where their feelings have been sealed. Seulgi was staring at Seungwan lovingly.

 

“Everytime I see you, you just get prettier and prettier in my eyes.” Seulgi began, “Did you get prettier because you’ve fallen completely head over heels in love with me?” Wendy rolled her eyes at that question before answering,

 

“I’m not pretty.” which Seulgi had quickly retaliated with,

 

“You’re pretty, Wendy. You’re the most ethereal being in my eyes.” she said as she held both of her girlfriend’s hands and kissed it and placing it on both her cheeks. “I love you.”

 

“I love you more.” Wendy feels like she did become pretty because she’s fallen in love over and over again for Seulgi.