Silence

Cotton Candy

The sky was dark as the stars shone out from the clouds. Clanking of plates, utensils, soft background music, and the occasional ‘Order up!’ were the things usually heard in this specific cafe called ‘Taengoo’s’ and if said in a specific way can be heard as ‘Thank you’s’. It’s located in the a quiet little corner of town, close to their new and only waitress’s home.

 

“Wendy, kindly give this to table 2~” Taeyeon, the owner and manager, smiled at her new waitress, placing the freshly cooked plate of food down.

 

“Right away, manager.” the younger one smiled, taking the order up to a specific table and asking them if they want a refill of their coffee. Taeyeon glanced at her new waitress, smiling like how an older sister would to their favorite sibling. She found how adorable the younger one is--shy, a bit reserved, but could be the sweetest of angels most of the time. The door to the diner rang and Taeyeon was met with the homeless woman trying to sell books from outside her diner.

 

“Now Yuri, you know you’re not allowed here!” she whispered, shooing the girl filled with dirt on her face, body, and tattered clothing.

 

“But Tae--”

 

“No. Now go ou--” her words were cut off by Wendy’s arms placing a plate of warm food in front of Yuri and looking at her with pleading eyes. The oldest huffed, “Fine.”

 

“Thank you, manager!” Wendy grinned happily, pouring some coffee into a cup and handing it to Yuri who had smiled at her in thanks as she started eating before going around the small diner, refilling coffees, cleaning up tables, and occasionally getting orders.


 


 

It was one night that Taeyeon had heard of the softest melody coming right out of her waitress. Wendy was singing along to the music playing in her little diner. The latter glanced at her, still singing with the voice of an angel, and smiled before continuing with making another batch of coffee, and then and there, the cute manager had asked her if she would sing one song a day in the diner. It took a lot of convincing, pleading, and saying yes to giving that homeless Yuri a free meal for every day that she sings, for Wendy to finally agree.


 

Taeyeon had handed Wendy a newly bought mic a certain evening, smiling at her in confidence. She held onto the mic as she walked on over to the side of the counter, looking nervously around the diner, hands sweating and eyes casting down to the floor in shyness. The music started playing and she started singing, her voice a bit shaky but beautifully soothing nonetheless.

 

I might have to wait
I'll never give up
I guess it's half timing
And the other half's luck

 

Her eyes glanced around in front of her to the customers now listening intently to her performance.

 

Wherever you are
Whenever it's right

 

Maybe the music was a bit too loud that she got a bit startled by a new comer who just walked passed her and sitting down into a booth, scanning the menu placed there.


You come out of nowhere and into my life..

 

And as she sang the last part, Love Love Love ..... I just haven't met you yet~ every single customer in the diner clapped, praising Wendy.

 

Except for one.

 

The new customer--a girl-- had not even glanced nor clapped at the little performance that Wendy had just given. Her smile quirked down a bit, looking at her manager and handing Taeyeon the mic back as she continued on with her work.


 



 

Wendy sang the next day, the girl from yesterday sitting at the same booth, now with a book in her hands, not even once glancing at her while she performed whereas the other customers were paying their full attention on her.

 

And it happened day after day after day, and day after day after day, she observed the girl sitting in the same booth, always facing her way, sometimes reading a new book, sometimes being on her computer or phone. Wendy noticed how the girl would often times be alone, keeping to herself. How the girl has very sharp features, a high nose, big rounded ears, and eyes--the waitress found herself sighing… oh, the eyes of this specific girl, those brown orbs so deep and filled with emotions that Wendy had never seen before. It’s like the girls eyes has carried a lot--has seen a lot of things by how expressive and passionate it seems to be.

 

Wendy tried singing every song, every genre, to try and get the girl’s attention but had been left defeated every single time.

 

My heart is always first to know

And as the feeling grows

I can’t deny push those thoughts aside

My world is full of loveliness

But I focus on the stress

 

My heart says “Go” but my brain says “No”

And it’s only in the quiet that I hear myself breathe…

 

My heart skips a beat.

 

She finished her song, looking at the girl who hadn’t even looked up from the menu. Her eyebrows scrunched, feeling a bit irritated. Here is Wendy, singing her heart out, trying to make that one special person notice her or even bat an eyelash at her but said girl looks like she doesn’t care! The waitress handed the mic back to Taeyeon a bit hastily, turning away, crossing her arms and looking at the food being cooked behind the counter.

 

Wendy glanced back as a new customer entered and walked on over to the girl she was so observant of, sitting in front and she can see the girl’s eyes light up in recognition. The two suddenly started motioning with their hands and that’s when realization hit Wendy. She shook her head and smiled, finally understanding everything.


 


 

The next few days, Wendy had tried to approach the girl, walking past her booth again and again, glancing, wanting to ask if she wants a coffee refill but backing out the last minute and returning behind the counter, glancing at the girl who is sometimes with her certain friend and sometimes alone.


 

“What’s wrong with her?” Yuri asked Taeyeon one night while she was getting her daily serving of food. Taeyeon rolled her eyes at the homeless girl’s stuffed face.

 

“She’s been like that the past days, I think she wants to talk to that girl over there but don’t know how to.” Yuri hummed, wiping with her dirty sleeves. The smaller one scrunched her face in disgust, handing the tanned one a napkin.

 

“Use this please and don’t you ever shower?”

 

“What part of homeless don’t you understand?”

 

“Where do you sleep then?” Yuri shrugged at this question.

 

“Sometimes outside with the books, sometimes under the bridge where other homeless people go. Depends, really.”

 

“Depends on what?” Yuri never answered her.


 


 

One day after the meal that Yuri had, she placed a book under the plate she used, stood up and went out of the diner, mumbling a small ‘thank you, Taengoo’, shocking the manager a bit. Wendy cleaned up the plates, looking at the book Yuri left in curiosity before grinning thankfully. She spent the whole night and morning reading and learning the content of the book, practicing it, and sometimes--most of the time--waking up with the book on her face.

 

Her next performance will be the time that the girl will finally notice her.

 



She walked in the diner filled with people laughing, talking, and smiling, but she only hears silence. She sat down at her usual booth and pulled out the new book she brought, waiting for the lovely waitress to fill her a cup of coffee. This diner’s atmosphere is great, the waitress--Wendy--as she saw on her name tag, was such a pure kind soul that she wanted to chance upon everyday. Silence has always been a constant companion for her, she relies on her hands and her eyes to express everything she needed and wanted to say.

 

The lights dimmed while she was starting to read her book. It made her look up at what was happening and noticed the waitress, with the mic placed in a mic stand, unlike every night where the girl would hold it, ready to perform with her no doubt spectacular voice. Too bad Seulgi wouldn’t be able to hear her. She felt the vibrations and she knew that the song had began but this time it’s different.

 

She understands what Wendy was singing.

 

Wendy was signing the words to her song and she smiled, feeling exceptionally touched.

 

I know that you are something special

To you I'd be always faithful

I want to be what you always needed

Then I hope you'll see the heart in me

 

She signed back, ‘I’ve always saw the heart in you’. Wendy grinned back as she continued signing her song.

 

You might need time to think it over

But I'm just fine moving forward

I'll ease your mind

If you give me the chance

I will never make you cry c`mon let's try

 

Seulgi grinned wider, eyes turning into crescent shapes, laughing silently at the cuteness of this waitress.

 

Am I crazy for wanting you?

Maybe do you think you could want me too?

 

‘I already do.’

 

I don't wanna waste your time

Do you see things the way I do?

I just wanna know that you feel it too

There is nothing left to hide

 

‘I feel it, don’t worry~’

 

And as Wendy finished her song with the words ‘Your beautiful soul’, Seulgi clapped her hands enthusiastically while she beamed back at her success, placing the mic down and walking over to the wonderful girl in the booth.

 

‘I’m Wendy.’

 

‘I know your name.’  the smaller one looked shocked before the taller one  pointed at the name tag on her shirt and formed an ‘o’ before she chuckled. ‘I’m Seulgi. Nice to meet you.’ and the two had began their silent conversation.


 

Out by the counter, Taeyeon and Yuri watched what was happening and smiled to themselves. The manager had grabbed a paper bag under the counter and pushed it towards Yuri, immediately shocking the latter.

 

“What--”

 

“It’s new clothes. There’s a shower in the back of the diner. Feel free to use it.”

 

“W-wha--”

 

“And if you want, I need another waitress in this diner...” Taeyeon’s face was red now, looking away from the homeless girl who was also blushing herself.

 

“Thank you, Taengoo.”


 



A/N: Hello~~ Yes, Seul's deaf here if it wasn't obvious enough.

The songs I used were: 

Haven't Met You Yet- Michael Buble
Heart Skips a Beat- Lenka
Beautiful Soul- Jesse Mcartney