Starlight

Cotton Candy

The wind was blowing gently, a light summer breeze was wafting through the open windows of the houses down by the beach boardwalk. A girl was in her room, sprawled on her bed, posters of her favorite groups plastered on her wall, listening to the radio by her bedside table.

 

‘And that was Into the New World by Girls Generation~ It’s as hot as the weather! Aaaannnddd the time now is officially 7:07 PM. Today’s April 10, 1945~ This information has been brought to you by--’

 

Tock.

 

The girl on the bed moved.

 

Tock.

 

She looked around and

 

Tock.

 

She stood up and went by her balcony bay, looking down curiously at what’s making that noise. She saw her friend and she smiled, opening up the window and grinning.

 

“Wendyyyyy~~~” The girl called out, bike on her side.

 

“What are you doing here, Seul?”

 

“Come down! Let’s go somewhere!~”

 

“It’s late!”

 

“Not for us~” Seulgi winked and Wendy grinned some more, nodding her head and motioning for the bear like girl to wait. She quickly went out her door and down the stairs, sneaking out quietly and successfully.

 

“Hop on!” Seulgi whispered, already on the bike, yellow sundress riding up her knee. Wendy nodded, hopping on, tucking the layers of her blue sundress between her thighs before hugging onto her friend’s waist.

 

“Where are we going?” She asked once they were a few kilometers away from her house, the wind fluttering through her hair beautifully.

 

“You’ll see~” Seulgi answered, peddling a bit harder. Wendy hummed, cuddling her head closer to the older one’s back and closing her eyes and savoring the moment. It was a normal thing for them--sneaking out, her riding behind Seulgi’s bike while the latter tells her story while peddling or just humming, hanging out somewhere, observing the night sky-- it was fun and it makes her heart warm up.

 

The bike halted in front of the willow tree they’re both familiar with. Wendy jumped down, fixing her dress, before going on Seulgi’s side and they both looked at each other, cheeks warming up and grins matching one another’s before walking together in sync down the path that leads to a secret lake where they can easily see the skies above. The bear parked her bike by the side before going forward and plopping down near the water, patting the side beside her.

 

“Here again?” Wendy smiled, sitting beside the taller one and cuddling a bit closer, placing her head on Seulgi’s shoulder.

 

“The stars are out.” She hummed and Wendy looked up at the night sky filled with twinkling lights. They stayed in that comfortable silence in a while, basking in each other’s warmness (or was it the summer breeze?).

 

“Momma says I can’t do art for a living.” Seulgi voiced out, breaking the quiet of the night. “She said that I just need to look pretty, be great at housework, and find a good husband and I’d be set for life.” Wendy looked up at her friend who has her eyes trained at the lake where the moon and the stars are shimmering down. “And I’m beginning to think that she’s right.” The younger one scrunched her eyebrows, squeezing the bear’s hands affectionately.

 

“Don’t think like that, love! If you want to pursue art, you have me supporting you always. You don’t have to listen to your mother if your heart is screaming something else.” Wendy exclaimed. Seulgi’s lips curved up a bit as she looked at the smaller one tenderly. “What?”

 

“You called me love. You know you should save that for your future husband.” Wendy rolled her eyes and Seulgi chuckled. “I think I should stop dreaming of the impossible.”

 

“Come on~” Wendy stood up, dusting herself before offering a hand to the bear who was looking at her with raised eyebrow. “Let’s dance.” Seulgi’s eyebrow rose some more before she smiled.

 

“You know I can’t dance, that’s impossible.” Wendy looked at her friend intently before going on to her knees, caressing Seulgi’s cheeks with both hands and looking into the warm brown orbs, “Until I’m here believing in you, never stop dreaming of the impossible, love. We’re made of starlight, okay?” Seulgi sighed, leaning into the warm soft hands on her face before nodding her head, pulling Wendy into a hug and burying her face in the crook of the latter’s neck.

 

“Being made of starlight is impossible. I can’t help thinking it because what I want is impossible and you know it.” and in fact, Wendy does know it.

 



 

Wendy knows what she and Seulgi wants is impossible. She wants a life with Seulgi, waking up together in the morning, preparing breakfast together, eating it together, going to work together, growing old together, but especially being beside each other, supporting each other...loving each other. She’s willing to cross mountains and oceans to make it happen. But her all time question is if Seulgi is willing to cross those mountains and oceans together with her.

 

She found herself dwelling more in these thoughts after she turned 17. Just one more year and she and Seulgi would need to go to college or maybe it would be just her…She sighed, stopping in front of her school’s locker and opening it.

 

“What the--” she picked up the bundle of violets tied up in string placed on top of a single note with a drawing of a heart and a bear on it. She smiled, closing her locker and looking around, trying to spot her favorite person but to no avail.

 

And it continued on for the rest of the week. Wendy had gotten her favorite candies, more violets, candid sketches of her, a vinyl of the new album of her favorite group Girls Generation, and a letter:

 

My Seungwannie~

Meet me by the beach tomorrow around six pm

 

Yours forever,
Seulgi

 

She smiled, placing the letter close to her chest before closing her locker and moving on to her last class.

 



 

Like the letter had stated, Wendy had went to the beach at six pm, hair gently being blown by the wind. She sighed looking at the orange and indigo hues of the sky as the sun sets down. She spotted Seulgi running towards her with a big smile on her cute bear face.

 

“Wan!~”

 

“Hey~” The bear stopped in front of her, panting and cheeks flushed, her face beautifully illuminated by the soft orange of the setting sun. She grabbed Wendy’s hand a gently pulled her to walk. “Where are we--”

 

“I missed you~” The younger one rose her eyebrows and bit her lip.

 

“And who’s fault is that?” Seulgi just grinned--stupidly-- at her before winking and placing a finger on her lips.

 

“Be quiet~” She said as she pulled Wendy down to crouch beside the bushes by the beach lighthouse where a party was being held. They maneuvered quietly in the darkness, crawling past the guards out front and emerging a minute later beside the dock where Seulgi had helped Wendy up gently and pulled her to walk towards an extravagant yacht parked by the water. They smiled at the other guests politely who looked at them curiously but smiling nonetheless. It was after all an exclusive party.

 

“Seul, seriously, we’re going to get caught!” Wendy whispered, smiling nervously at one of the gentlemen looking at her.

 

“Don’t worry so much, Wendy~ Here, c’mon, we can stay here.” Seulgi motioned at the railings of the yacht, looking up and smiling. Wendy shook her head, standing beside the bear quietly as the music in the background filled the silence between them. She gripped the railing, looking down at the ocean where the glimmer of stars reflected back at her. Seulgi placed her hand on top of Wendy’s and the latter had looked up to find the bear smiling gently at her, eyes filled with emotions that Wendy would gladly drown in. She smiled, memorizing this particular moment in her mind.

 

“This song sounds marvelous.” Wendy whispered. Seulgi took Seungwan’s hands and pulled the latter closer to her, left hand strategically place on Wendy’s waist.

 

“Let’s dance.”

 

“W-w-what?” And Seulgi began moving, leading the steps to the tune playing. She laughed at Wendy’s reaction.

 

“You’re going to New York to pursue music, right?” Wendy nodded, still not believing that they are actually dancing. Seulgi grinned, “Let’s get an apartment together. One room should be fine for the both of us. We can divide the chores between us, you cook and I clean because honestly, I don’t want to burn our apartment down. After maybe three years, we can travel together~ Maybe road trip around the U.S. first before other parts of the world~” And Seulgi continued on talking about adopting, “maybe not kids, I don’t think we’ll be allowed. So cats? Or dogs? Or maybe both? I don’t know, you decide.” And Wendy’s head is swirling from all the things and ideas going out of her friend’s mouth and she  honestly thinks that Seulgi’s gone bonkers.

 

“Seul, wait, you sound so crazy right now.” She halted their dancing, holding her head in confusion.

 

“Poppa said I can go to Art School.” Seulgi announced,grinning at Wendy who looked shocked for a minute or two before a grin started forming on her cute adorable face.

 

“Really?!”

 

“Yeah! He convinced momma and now I can go to wherever art school will accept me.”

 

“That’s so great, Seul! I’m so proud of you~” Wendy hugged the bear tightly.

 

“I already chose one and got accepted in it.”

 

“What?! When did you apply? Why didn’t you inform me? I could’ve helped--”

 

“I’ll be going to New York with you.” Seulgi confirmed, hugging Wendy by the waist and twirling her around. People looked at their direction, curiously watching them with a smile.

 

“My goodness, Seulgi. I’m so proud of you!” The two began dancing again, smiling and giggling at each other and the thought of next year.

 

“I know I can’t marry you, but I want to, love.” Seulgi mumbled, looking at Wendy with so much affection that made the latter’s heart flutter like there’s no tomorrow.

 

“Seul...”

 

“I want to wake up next to you, to make breakfast with you and eat it together, to go to work together, to go home together, to experience life with you beside me, to grow old with you. I want that and everything more. It’s impossible, I know, but like you said, as long as I have you beside me, everything’s possible. I want that life. I want to believe we’re made of starlight.” Seulgi confessed, drowning Wendy in unspoken affection and love. Wendy nodded her head, hugging Seulgi tightly, head place in the crook of the latter’s neck.

 

“I love you.” She whispered.

 

“I love you too.”

 



 

It was 70 years later when they were 88 years old and both have graciously aged, every wrinkle on their faces are beautifully sculpted by the years of happiness spent beside each other, loving, fighting, forgiving, and growing old together, that they entered the church, hand in hand, slowly walking forward as some of their friends looked on to them proudly and joyously. It was their ceremony.

 

“Seungwan-ah, I’m just darkness without you. You are the star the gives me light. I love you.”

 

“And I’m just a lone star without you because you are my light, Seulgi yah. My heart will forever be yours, my light.”

 

“And mine will be yours for eternity, my star.”

 

“And with the power vested in me, I now announce you, wife and wife. You may kiss each other.” The priest finished and there were cheers from all around as the two newlyweds shared a kiss, faces glowing in happiness, eyes filled with love, and souls belonging to one another.

 



 

It was year 2016. Just one year and a few days after getting married, when both of them passed away just a day apart, their graves were buried beside each other, because even in death, you can’t separate people who are made from starlight.

 



A/N: Ah...ahahaha..haha..ha *runs away*