Wish

Cotton Candy

One wish.

 

One wish left.

 

She sighed, sitting down on her bed as she watched the bear-like girl zap herself into different types of clothes like the ones on the magazine the latter is holding. She shook her head with a small smile on her lips. The genie--her genie--likes to try on different clothes and is amazed by the fashion of this century.

 

Seulgi, as the genie had introduced the first time she popped out of the lamp--now displayed by her bedside-- three years ago that scared all the eyebrows out of her. She remembers the orange and blue satin and sheer clothing hugging the genie’s thin frame, midriff exposed.

 


 

“Hello, master! My name is Seulgi and you have three wishes.” the bear-like girl introduced, bowing respectfully at her. There was a moment of silence before she screamed, running out of the attic, and almost falling down the stairs. She entered her room and quickly locked the door, huffing.

 

“That was a weird greeting, master. Is that how humans greet this century?” she turned around and there was the bear-like girl again, continuing to ask questions as she looked at her expectantly.

 

“H-h-how did you--- you were upstairs!” she stuttered.

 

“I apparated here, master.”

 

“W-who are--what are y-you?”

 

“I am called Seulgi by the first master and I am a genie. You are allowed to have three wishes, master.”

 

All went black.


 

She woke up hours later in an empty room, dazed and confused. She looked outside the window and the sun was setting, she can hear the clangs of pots and pans downstairs which means that her grandma’s home already. She remembered orange and blue and her eyes widened as she looked around the room for signs of that bear-like girl who claims to be a genie but found no trace of her.

 

“Must be a dream.” she whispered, getting up and heading back downstairs. She entered the kitchen and almost tripped over herself in shock to see the girl from earlier.

 

“YOU!” she shouted. Her grandma and the genie turned around at the same time.

 

“Wendy, dear, why didn’t you tell me you have a visitor over.”

 

“She-she’s not--”

 

“Now, dearie, come and help me cook a delicious dinner for us.”

 

“B-b-but--”

 

“I asked...Sluggie to stay for dinner.” Her grandma smiled glancing back at the genie before preparing the things and ingredients to be used, halting whatever plan she has to kick that creep out of their house.

 


 

The first time she made a wish was on the same day.

 

“Can you stop pulling on your clothes?!” Wendy gritted her teeth, glaring at the genie now dressed in her shirt and skirt, who was carrying a paper bag of bread that her grandma made them buy albeit the smaller one’s protest.

 

“I’m sorry, master, it’s just so different from my clothes before!”

 

“You can’t wear your original clothes when going outside, okay?!”

 

“But master, my clothes are much more comfortable than this. Clothes have gotten shorter and thinner since the last time I saw them.” Seulgi tugged on the shirt again and Wendy rolled her eyes.

 

“It’s called a tee-shirt and I still don’t believe what you say you are! What did you even tell my grandma for her to be so accepting of you?!”

 

“The truth” Seulgi smiled, looking so much more than a bear. Wendy huffed in irritation, opening the door to the flower shop they own and the entrance to their house upstairs.

 

She was grumbling under her breath about how this ‘impostor’ needs to leave when she accidentally bumped into a vase filled with flowers and the domino effect started. It’s like slow motion in her eyes as one after the other the vases and flowers tumbled over one another, the last one being a china vase that has been in their family for years.

 

A gasped partnered with wide eyes and toppling over the flowers and vases that’s on the floor in trying to save the china vase had Wendy sobbing.

 

‘M-master…’ The genie called out, not knowing what to do with the wailing form of her owner. Wendy continued on crying, face planted on the flowers and clothes drenched from all the water.

 

“My grandma’s going to kill me over and over again!!” Wendy sobbed. “Why’d do I have to be so stupid! I should’ve looked where i’m going! Stupid stupid Wendy! You’re so stupid!!” Seulgi looked helplessly at her distraught master who’s now grumbling and sobbing and trying to drown herself from the water splashed on the floor.

 

“AHH I WISH THIS NEVER HAPPENED!” Seulgi’s eyes had stars rotating in them before she blinked.

 

“Your wish is my command” and with a nod of her head, the mess started to disappear and everything went back to the way it is before the accident. Seulgi tapped her master who’s still sobbing on the floor, having no idea what happened.

 

“LEAVE ME ALONEEEE”

 

“Master, everything’s okay now” this seem to halt the sobbing and the smaller one finally looked up, gasping at the surroundings.

 

“W-what-”

 

“You made a wish and I granted it. You have two more wishes left, master~” Seulgi grinned proudly.

 



 

The second time she made a wish was a year after the incident and it wasn’t well thought out.

 

Wendy buttoned up her uniform while Seulgi brushed her hair. It has been some sort of routine for them and the younger one had no idea when it started.

 

“Granny Taeng and I are going to the clinic today for her check-up~” the genie reminded, finishing up making her master prettier for going to ‘the school’ as she fondly says. Wendy nodded happily, looking up at the taller one.

 

“Will you be gone the whole day?”

 

“Hmmm, granny said only half a day? She said we’ll be back in time for her to cook a yummy meal for us!” the smaller one pouted.

 

“My granny loves you more than she loves me!” She then squinted her eyes accusatorily at the genie, “you didn’t do any magic on her to make her love you more, right?” Seulgi laughed at this.

 

“Master, I’m not allowed to do magic for me~”

 

“Hmmmkayyyyy” The younger one hummed, checking her backpack one more time. “I have to go now~ take care later?” The genie nodded, eyes crinkling happily .

 

“You also take care, master! I’m just one call away~” Wendy rolled her eyes at the song pun that the genie oh-s0-loves, but a smile was already giving away that she’s actually loving it.


 

Her life is totally different with her new master. It’s more domestic...more freeing than her previous owners. She sat patiently at the clinic with Wendy’s grandma, awaiting for the human called ‘Doctor’ to finish the check-up.

 

“Well, seems like you’re more than healthy for your age, grandma Taeng! It must be because your granddaughter here takes good care of you!”

 

“No, I’m not her--” she was about to protest when granny Taeng cut her off.

 

“Yes indeed. Sluggie here has been such a blessing in mine and my other granddaughter, Wendy’s life.” Taeyeon smiled sincerely, which made the genie’s heart swell up and the doctor to give out a warm smile, looking at Seulgi and saying,

 

“You’re doing a great job~ Just continue taking care of granny here and there shouldn’t be any problems~ If there’s nothing else, you may go now.”

 

“Yes, doctor!” Seulgi nodded determinedly before helping granny Taeng up and saying bye to the doctor.

 

She was manning the flower shop downstairs while granny was resting, doing a little bit of magic to make the flowers shine more. She thought about the elated smile her master had given her everytime the small one returned home from ‘the school’. She looked back up at the clock and saw that it was almost time for her owner to return. She grinned excitedly, hurrying back behind the counter and looking expectantly at the glass door.

 

She expected a different scene when her master returned. Definitely NOT this scene where the little one has tears cascading down her cute adorable face. Seulgi was beside her in an instant, taking Wendy’s backpack and arms enveloping her in a panic.

 

“What happened, master?! Are you hurt?!”

 

More sobs and tears.

 

“L-let’s go upstairs...” Seulgi mumbled, guiding her distraught owner. It took a few hours before Wendy had calmed down and finally tell the reason why she was crying.

 

“...He s-suddenly told m-me that w-we should s-stop hanging o-out!” the smaller one sobbed. Seulgi was not surprised to say the least. The first time she saw ‘the beast’--a term she used because the guy had played the part with Wendy in a school play Beauty and the beast-- she had not liked him one bit.

 

“I just wish I knew why…” the younger one mumbled before gasping and looking at the bear-like genie, “you can make that happen right?!”

 

“....M-master, you have to think this through. If you use this wish, you’ll only have one wish left!” Seulgi tried to argue.

 

“But--”

 

“Please..” she begged.

 

“Seulgi, I wish oppa will tell me his reasons!” the genie’s frame went still as her eyes had stars rotating in them before she blinked.

 

“Your wish is my command.”

 

“Did you?” the smaller one asked. Seulgi gave a sigh, head bowed down,

 

“Yes, master” Wendy grinned at that and tucked herself happily on the bed.

 

“Goodnight, Seulgi!”

 

“Goodnight… Wendy.” she whispered the last part.

 



 

One wish left.

 

She had thought it out for months now. She asked the genie what would happen if she used her last wish.

 

“I’d go back in to the lamp and it would disappear to the unknown until a new master finds me.” the genie shrugged like it was nothing to her. She had asked the bear like-genie a lot of things ever since she had last wished for something.

 

“Why can’t you make him fall in love with me?!”

 

“Love is something that is out of my control ever since my first master wished it. Besides, master Wendy, human love shouldn’t be forced onto each other because then it wouldn’t really be love isn’t it?” That left her speechless.


 

“Why can’t you just call me by my name and drop the master?” the smaller one asked on a specific sunday irritatedly as Seulgi had called her master outside, making people look at them weirdly.

 

“I am forbidden by the laws of the jin to call my master by their name out loud.”


 

“What were you like before you were a genie?” She asked months later, looking up from Seulgi’s lap. The taller one gave a hum, pausing her fingers Wendy’s hair, and tilted her head in thought.

 

“I don’t remember anything ever since I became a genie. I’m not even sure if I’m someone else before”

 

“Have you ever fallen in love?” She asked one day, not looking at the genie because the flower buds suddenly seemed so interesting. Seulgi, who was behind the flower shop counter, stared fondly at her master before answering,

 

“I’m not sure about that feeling” she paused, “but I once cared very deeply for one of my masters before” there was a twinge from Wendy’s heart.

 

“What do you mean? How did you care for that master?”

 

“Master Irene was a great master. She had been the longest master I ever had and the closest one, aside from you of course,” Wendy can’t help but scoff at that and the few sentences after, “she treated me well and took care of me. She was a different master than the rest and I cared for her the same way she did with me. She promised me we’d be together. She was saving her last wish...” the genie’s eyes turned glassy.

 

“What happened?” there was a few minutes of silence before Seulgi replied, the glassiness from her eyes gone.

 

“Someone came. She fell in love, as you humans say it, and used her last wish to live happily with that person.”

 

“Oh.”


 

“Are you happy here?” Wendy asked one saturday morning as the genie magicked the dishes clean. Seulgi looked at her master with a warm smile.

 

“Yes, of course,master Wendyyy~”

 

“If you’d live your life with m-me, would you be happy?” Wendy suddenly felt really hot all of a sudden.

 

“I’d never felt happier with any other master.”

 

“What about that Irene” she asked, trying hard to stay cool and nonchalant but deep inside, she’s already anticipating the answer.

 

“Master Irene was someone from the past whom I cared for and learned a lot from. I’m thankful to her.”

 

“Hmmmmmm.” the smaller one hummed trying her best to ignore the way Seulgi was smiling at her.


 

She has no idea when all these type of feelings started developing. It might be from the way that the genie had always seemed so sincere with taking care of her and her granny, or the somewhat childlike innocence Seulgi seemed to possess. Or it might be the way the genie had always smiled and helped her without really needing to, the taller one had once said that some genies just let their master do whatever they want. Morbidity ensues sometimes with some jins--as they are called.

 


 

She watched the taller one revert back to the clothes she was wearing, finally finished with zapping on the clothes from the magazine. She just needs to ask some more questions.

 

“Hey Seulgi~”

 

“Yes, master?”

 

“What would happen if you become human?”

 

“Hmm, then I’ll lose all my powers and become human like you.”

 

“How would you feel about that?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Being human.”

 

“I would like that but I wouldn’t know how and where I would live, I’ve only ever known how to be a jin.”

 

“How about if you live here with me?”

 

“That would be really nice~” Wendy smiled, standing up and walking over to the taller girl, grabbing her hands and looking into her eyes.

 

“I’m ready to make my third and final wish.” Seulgi looked shocked at that and sadness and acceptance engulfed her being before she nodded.

 

“Master, before you make the wish, I want you to know that you’re the best master I ever had.”

 

“Even better than Irene?” Seulgi laughed.

 

“Much better than master Irene~”

 

“Alright then. Seulgi, I wish for you to become human and live here with me for as long as you would like.” Seulgi’s body became rigid while her eyes had stars rotating in them before she blinked.

 

“Your wish is my command, Wendy...” she whispered, smiling softly at her once master.

 

“Seulgi~” Wendy mumbled, leaning in closer to Seulgi.



 

A/N: HIIIIIIIIIII Surprise~ 

*whispers* I have tons of unfinished oneshot that I should be writing PLUS the last two chaps for Descendants of the Stars but here I am