Raindrops

Cotton Candy

 

Wendy’s alarm always rings at exactly 5 am on weekdays and when this happens, she would always reach out for her phone, holding it long enough to contemplate whether to throw it or just succumb to the inevitable chore of waking up before the sun rises. Of course, the latter decision always triumphs because the thought of how much she paid for her phone overpowers the will to smash the damn thing. She would sit down for about a minute or two on her bed, not really moving and eyes still closed shut. Then slowly, a smile would creep up the side of her lips and she would then begin getting ready, humming whole the while.

 

Wendy dislikes Monday commutes. This is the third bus arriving for the past 30 minutes she’s been standing there and this is the bus she’s finally going to get on. The first two, she got squished and pushed farther away by the taller people. She huffed, getting ready, the wind falling past her still damp hair. The bus finally stopped. The doors opening. And she damn screamed ‘FOR SPAAAARRRTTAAA’ in her nerdy little head as she pushed her way towards the bus, climbing up and holding onto the pole so that she won’t get pushed out.

 

She arrived at her school and climbed down the still jam-packed bus, hair twisted here and there in a mess. She fixed her jansport backpack over her shoulder and combed her hair once only for her hands to stop mid-way from all the tangles it got. She groaned.

 

“Rough ride.” The person next to her suddenly piped up.

 

“Ye--” she stopped mid-way, voice caught in as she looked at the reason for her smile every morning. Her mind wanted to speak and converse but it seems like is stuck in that ‘eh’ shape as she gawked at the face of her crush for so long that said crush had already walked away and met up with some people who she assumes are her crush’s friends.

 

“Kang” she whispered afterwards,still looking at that smiling face, her heart doing flips at the sight. She wanted to walk on over there and start a conversation but the thought of Kang not minding makes her hesitate all the time.

 

Kang, as far as Wendy’s diary had detailed, is an art major. Wendy had first been amazed by her when she went on the one week exhibit her university held. A masterpiece had caught her attention. It was nothing at first...but she found herself going back to the exhibit everyday only to see that painting. She went on the last day and by luck had walked into the artists explaining their pieces to the audience.

 

“Here is Ms. Kang, a third year majoring in art who painted that great piece over there titled Night in Southern Sahara.” one of the professors introduced. A tall and thin girl walked towards the middle of the room, a smile plastering her face. Wendy had looked on in awe because this was the painter of that masterpiece she can’t help but admire over and over again.

 

“Hello everyone, I’m Seulgi~ I painted the Night in Sahara thinking about my stuffed teddy bear and how it would feel like to sleep somewhere hot.” the girl grinned, “uhm.. That’s actually all.” she laughed before bowing and going back in the crowd.

 

‘Wow’ Wendy thought, stunned at everything she just seen and heard. “When the artist herself is art, how can I not fall?”


 


 

It was a Friday. Wendy has torn feelings about friday. A mix of  ‘yay it’s the end of the week’ and ‘I won’t be able to see her for the next 2 days’ is all she feels. She sighed yet again as she fixed her papers to be passed on her third period class. There was a gust of wind and the next thing she knew,  the papers were flying everywhere and she was on the ground.

 

“OHMYGOSH I’M SO SORRY!!” she felt herself being lifted up into a standing position and her papers being picked up as she heard the strings of ‘I’m really sorry’ ‘ohmygosh I’m so clumsy’ ‘I really didn’t mean to’ and ‘I should really look where I’m going’.

 

“I-I’m sorry! Are you o-okay?” the girl stuttered out handing the papers back to Wendy. The smaller one gayed--I meant gaped as her crush looked at her with worry. All she can do is nod her head feebly. “Are you sure? I’m really sorry.. “ The girl paused, looking at the very flustered chipmunk like girl, “Uhm.. what’s your name again?”

 

“Wendy” her voice was high, her name came out more like a squeak and she internally face-palmed herself.

 

“I’m really sorry, Wendy! I wasn’t looking at where I’m going I was late for my first class and I-I.. I’m sorry!” Wendy just stupidly nodded, astounded at the way her name sounded like silk on top of gelato ice cream sprinkled with chocolate chips. She couldn’t believe her name could even sound like that.

 

“Ohmygosh, I’m late!” the taller girl  gave Wendy a sorry face as she bowed low and started running off while shouting back, “I’m really sorry !!!” Wendy just stood there, her eyes watching her crush disappear from out of the corner building, she wanted to talk to the girl properly earlier but her voice doesn’t seem to want to cooperate. She groaned and facepalmed herself with the papers she’s holding.


 


 

She just got down the jampacked bus on a Monday morning, fixing her hair and bag when she felt a tap on her shoulders.

 

“Hey” a very very familiar voice greeted. Wendy looked over her shoulder and her eyes widened. “Wendy, right?” A squeak of confirmation came out from her and she really just wanted to go back into the bus and die of embarrassment.

 

“I don’t know if you remember me… but I kind of bumped into you the other week...” the taller girl rubbed her nape shyly. “Uhmm, I’m Seulgi by the way.” Of course Wendy knew who this girl was. She was just thinking about her this morning and every mornings ever since she has seen her and ohmygod!! Seulgi’s introducing herself to her!!

 

“N-nice to meet you.” she choked and a really wide grin spread on the other girl’s face.

 

“Same here. I’m sorry again for the other week.”

 

“I-it’s no problem!”

 

“Do you have class?”

 

“Y-yes”

 

“Let me walk you there.” Seulgi offered and Wendy thinks she might’ve got hit by that bus and gone to heaven with the opening of ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ as her welcome song as opposed to the traditional hallelujah.

 


 

Wendy found out that she and Seulgi actually ride the same bus every morning and before she even knew it, the two of them had been waiting for each other, even going as far as sitting and standing next to each other in that jampacked bus.

 

“Goodmorning, Seul!” She greeted one monday morning, weeks after their fateful encounter,  eyes sparkling with adoration.

 

“Gmorning, Wan!” Yes, they have nicknames already and it’s so thrilling hearing the bear like girl say her name. “How was your weekend?”

 

“I don’t know, Seul, you tell me. We we’re together all week~” she teased, because finally she can consider herself as a friend, and the bear laughed.

 

“I know~ I just wanted to see if you enjoyed it, even with my crazy lunatic friends present?”

 

“Hmmmm, maybeeee~” Wendy noticed Seulgi’s smile fade a bit.

 

“I knew I shouldn’t have brought Joy and Yeri!” she burst out in laughter at this.

 

“I was kidding, Seul~ Of course I enjoyed spending time with you and your crazy lunatic friends that kept on whispering to you. Irene was the one probably weirded out by the two of them.” she giggled, remembering the look on her friend’s face as Joy and Yeri head locked each other.

 

“T-they weren’t whispering anything weird or stuff!!”

 

“I didn’t say they were~” Wendy laughed, going down the bus and walking towards the school, barely hearing the ‘because you’re so pretty’ words whispered by the taller girl.

 


 

It was a Wednesday when Wendy had caught up to a very disgruntled and slightly pissed off Seulgi. It was new to her to see the always smiling girl cursing at the ‘idiocy’ of her groupmates. She was hesitant at first, not sure if she should actually talk to the girl or just stay quiet but alas, the courage of having been friends with her crush won her over.

 

“Come with me.” she grabbed Seulgi’s arm and headed a very familiar destination out of campus. They entered a white painted establishment, the bell on the door welcoming them with a loud ‘ding’.

 

“Unnie! Two frozen yogurt please!” Wendy ordered. The small girl from behind the counter nudged the tanned one beside her.

 

“Wendy!!” the tanned girl greeted, smiling widely and enthusiastically. Seulgi’s eyebrow rose at the warm greeting that her friend received. Not a minute later, their orders were handed to their table by both the people behind the counter, the smaller one looking Seulgi up and down.

 

“Heyy, Wendy! Long time, no see!” The tanned one smirked.

 

“Sorry, Yuri unnie. I was kind of busy..”

 

“With a date?” the smaller one rose her eyebrows.

 

“Errr..” Wendy gulped, “Yes, Tae unnie, with a date.” Seulgi’s head snapped back to look at Wendy with wide eyes while this Taeyeon girl  gave  a ‘hmph’ and a glare towards the bear.

 

“Great job! Finally!” the girl named Yuri grinned.

 

“Don’t great job her!” Taeyeon elbowed the taller one in the ribs making the latter cough in pain.

 

“But honey!”

 

“Don’t you honey me, Kwon.” and suddenly the two older girls’ attention were on each other as they started bickering about their relationship.

 

“Err… uhmm.. So that’s my cousin, Taeyeon unnie, and her fiance, Yuri unnie.” Wendy said timidly. Seulgi’s eyes scrunched up in amusement.

 

“They seem really nice!~” the older one laughed and the two of them enjoyed the frozen yogurt, one of them humming happily at her unnies while the other one feeling her heart flutter in her chest.

 

 


 

It was a Monday afternoon, two weeks after the frozen yogurt incident, that Wendy found herself walking at the track oval of their school. Her eyes scanning the gray clouds above before looking back at her phone and re-reading the message.

 

‘From: Seulbear

 

Hi, Wan! I’m at the oval. Just need to finish some things with my groupmates then we can go on that dinner date I promised you <3 xx’

 

“Dinner date…” she whispered, a small faint smile on the corner of her lips. There has been loads of hang-outs lately that her crush has been calling dates and Wendy wouldn’t lie that she’s actually basking in all of these. But right now, she’s more worried about the oncoming rain that’s so obvious from the clouds above.

 

She reached the track oval and had spotted the bear like girl and her group mates packing up. Wendy hurriedly walked towards them, unconsciously fixing her hair. Seulgi looked up and had met eyes with her and she knows that her cheeks are staining red right now. She gave a small wave.

 

“What are you doing here? I thought we’re going to meet at the entrance” The older one asked but was smiling happily nonetheless.

 

“Well, class finished early and y’know...” Wendy mumbled awkwardly which made the bear like girl laugh.

 

“I’m almost finished packing up, just wait a while, okay?” Wendy nodded, watching Seulgi’s groupmates finish up and wave goodbye to them till they’re the only ones left.

 

Wendy was watching Seulgi place her paintbrush in their cases when she felt a drop of water hit her head. Then her shoulder. Then her nose. And before long, drops of rain are hitting her everywhere.

 

“SEUL! It’s raining!!!” the taller one only laughed, glanced at her and said,

 

“I noticed, Wan~” before continuing to pack her things calmly. Wendy was bouncing on her feet by the time Seulgi was finished, half drenched and ready to sprint when necessary. Seulgi closed her bag and faced Wendy, a grin plastered on her face.

 

“Let’s go!” The younger one was about to run when Seulgi held her wrist, a soft smile on her face. “Wha--”

 

“Let’s stay here for a bit.” the bear like girl mumbled. Wendy tried to use her bag as a sort of umbrella and was fumbling with it when she heard her crush laugh again. “Wan, relax~ Look around.”

 

To be honest, Wendy’s inner monologue was “WHAT THE ?” at what was happening right now but since she’s deffs biased when it comes to Seulgi, she ignored the “I need to get away from this cray woman” thought and actually listened. She looked around, squinting her eyes since she barely can see anything from the downpour of rain, then looked back at Seulgi. She sighed, noticing that her crush was wearing the shirt that she adores so very much, and a smile was quick to form on her face.

 

“Wendy~”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I realized, we’re like raindrops.” Seulgi began and Wendy waited for her to continue, “falling, tumbling, plunging. Always together, never alone...”

 

Wendy is so confused right now that she doesn’t even know what to actually reply to that but Seulgi continued, “Wendy, I.. I like to fall, tumble, and plunge together with you.” Wendy’s breath hitch.

 

“W-w-what I mean is… I like you, Wendy.” Seulgi looked her straight in the eyes, Wendy’s mind was playing ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ once again.

 

“I-i like you too, r-raindrop. I mean you. But Yeas raindorp” She stuttered out, face blushing furiously as she heard Seulgi sigh and giggle before pulling her in a hug under the easing raindrops.



 

A/N: Hi guyyysssss! I'm just back to post this superrrr late fic that I promised my friend--who's birthday is today. 

Hi Jezza,

Happy birthday, this is the long overdue thingy for you  Hahahaha 

Hope you like it! Have a great birthday ahead <3 Loveyou hihi