Coffee

Cotton Candy

She placed her coffee down as she heaved a sigh, glancing at her pretty table mate's back. Seulgi wasn’t one to initiate conversation nor is she one to actually want any attention on herself, she would rather hide in a hole than be asked to speak in front of people or God forbid, making small talk. Why would anyone like small talk anyway? The ‘The weather is nice today”, “Great shirt you have”, and other lowly conversation starters makes her cringe and blanch. Why talk about that when you can talk about how the earth was made, how a star dies to create such a spectacular supernova, how what if we can hear colors, and those things that will make you think.

 

“Hey, Seul, you’re spacing out again.” Taeyeon, her manager, chuckled. Seulgi smiled shyly, glancing once again at her table mate before looking at the older one who smirked at her. “It’s Wendy again, right? You have been crushing on her since forever! It’s time to make a move, you little bear.”

 

“Ah, but unnie, you know how I am!”

 

“Yes, I do~ So guess what?”

 

“.....what….?”

 

“Seohyun made you this!~ She would’ve given it to you personally but she’s out with...Yuri...” Taeyeon grumbled something under her breath about her best friend being a love struck fool before handing the bear a folder with a..research inside, 2pcs. of  A4 paper stapled together on the upper left corner perfectly, Arial font, font size 11, double spaced, justified, with the title “An Introvert’s Guide to Talking to Your Crush Bold and font size 14. Seulgi looked at it with an expression akin to that of awe. “You know how Seohyun is. Use it carefully~”

 

“T-thanks unnie” she smiled. Plan talk to your crush is a go.


 



 

1 The Art of the Subtle Glance - this is self-explanatory. You are glancing at art. Appreciate your crush for she is a piece of art. You don’t have to speak, just glance at her like you would a piece of artwork that the greatest masters and artists has ever done. Like you are not worthy of her presence.

Reminder: If the art looks at you, remember to smile like your life depended on it.


 

Seulgi was reading the reminder as she entered the elevator going up to their office.

 

“Hold the door, please!” Someone shouted and she quickly pushed the button for the elevator doors to stay open. “Thanks.” the bear looked up and was met with a smile from none other than her crush. Her eyes widened and she looked down on the floor, finding it to be the most interesting thing in the place.

 

“Y-you’re welcome.” she stuttered out before remembering what she had just read. She took a glance at the girl who seems to be busy texting with someone and quickly saw how pretty the side profile of Wendy is. It made her heart do some sort of jumping jacks from inside her and breath suddenly being caught mid-way. She looked away, biting her lip for a moment before glancing back, this time, seeing how Wendy’s cheeks are so fluffy and pokable like it’s made of clouds and cotton candy. She looked away quickly, stopping herself from actually poking the cheeks because that would be weird.... They aren’t that close anyway and she still has a long way to go before she can at least be in Wendy’s radar.

 

The elevator door stopped and she was a bit shocked that Wendy was getting off. This wasn’t their floor? As she mulled over things in her head, Wendy turned to her and answered her unasked question.

 

“I have to meet with the head. I’ll see you later~” she waved and Seulgi grinned as she waved back enthusiastically until the elevator door closes. She thinks she can consider number 1 a success.



 


 

 

2 Eye Contact - This is a crucial step. Look just long enough to not be considered as staring and being creepy but not too short that it looks awkward.


 

They were at a meeting between the creatives and the composers, their managers talking about ways to win the consumers with this new commercial they’re going to be making. But she didn’t care. In front of her sat her crush, writing diligently about whatever the managers are talking about and probably her own ideas for the project. She has her elbows on the table, her cheeks on her hands, looking at Wendy with a small smile, taking this time to observe the younger one without being dubbed as weird.

 

She observed the way the younger one would hold her pen, those beautiful dainty fingers gliding like a ballerina along the notepad. Trimmed nails with blue nailpolish almost chipping off. She wondered what other kind of instruments Wendy plays-- she knows that the latter plays the piano, having seen it once connected to her desk computer, the composers are usually only in the sound-proof music room when they record and would just go back to their tables when it’s time for editing. But one thing Seulgi knows is for sure, Wendy plays on her heartsrings very well, creating beautiful melodies that only Seulgi can hear.

 

There’s a smirk playing on Wendy’s lips, she noticed, as the smaller one paused whatever she was writing and Seulgi had unconsciously cocked her head to side, curiously thinking what’s going on in her crush’s mind to smirk like that--did Wendy figure out a good way to do this collab project? Or did she just think about a funny joke? She barely registered Wendy’s head tilting up, before she noticed how nice the brown colors of the latter’s eyes are. So brown, so warm, so gorgeo----she looked away when Wendy smiled, acting like she wasn’t just staring and trying to study her like she would her art books at home. Maybe Number 2 is a fail…

 



 

3. Be Observant - You can pick up little things by just observing your object of affection. If given the opportunity;

 

4. Try and Talk to Them - Initiate a conversation. It can be anything related to whatever they were just doing or maybe you can ask about that cute little dress they’re wearing. Just try and converse and remember;

 

5. DO NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE FREAK OUT - You will lose cool points. So no freaking out, alright?


 

Seulgi scrunched her eyebrows at the next few steps. Step 3 is easy enough, the bear had been doing a lot of observing even before this, but steps 4 and 5 are a bit, difficult to say the least. Initiating conversation is at the bottom of the list in the to-do things Seulgi has every day whereas freaking out is probably number 1 on her list. She groaned, closing the folder and glaring at it like it had offended her.

 

“You okay?” the all too familiar honey coated voice asked and Seulgi had looked up in shock as Wendy handed her a cup of coffee. “You look stressed. Is it the reports?”

 

“Ah..ah.. N-no” DON’T FREAK OUT. She reminded herself as she looked at the beverage in front of her face.

 

“It’s yours, silly. I noticed you usually get your coffee break around this time, so I bought you one.” Wendy grinned at her as she took the cup from the latter’s hands, cheeks feeling a bit warm.

 

“Y-you didn’t have to do that! I-- How much do i owe y-” Wendy shook her head as she sat down at the connected table in front of Seulgi, grinning before replying,

 

“No need~ It’s my treat. You could buy me one next time, okay?” The bear thinks that her brain had short circuited and forgot how to language, because her supposedly ‘Yes, I would love to’ answer had sounded more like a squeak by a dying mouse and Wendy’s grin had just gotten bigger before she nodded and went back to doing her work. The bear completely forgot the steps as she took a sip of the coffee and smiled like an idiot.


 


 

6. Be Cool - Nothing will get your crush’s attention than you being cool. Cool like ice. Cool like the aircon in that damn managers office that’s set to ten degrees celsius, I mean, who the does that? Probably Taeyeon, that idiot. Just be you...but the cooler kind. Also, remember to laugh at whatever funny thing they say! It will make you seem more open and likable!

 

“Be me… but the cooler kind?” Seulgi whispered, thinking of how to do it. Being cool is also one of the things that are in the bottom of her to-do list. The bear knows she’s not cool. Heck, she’s clumsy and slow and even has the certification to prove it! (Thank you, Yuri unnie for the effort of making that and giving it to her when she was feeling down that one time).

 

“Hey, Wendy, Seulgi! Want to join us for coffee?” their videographers, Joy and Yeri called out, along with their script writer, Irene, smiling and waving at them. They both looked at each other before grinning and nodding at the three. Wendy walked beside her and even sat beside her! And it made her excited and giddy as the four talked and gossiped while she just stayed quiet and smiling and glancing at Wendy all the time.


 

“And so, Leetuk oppa was like, ‘Who’s this? Do I know you? I’ve been fooled before!’ and I was trying hard not to laugh!” Yeri chuckled while telling the story and Joy laughed harder.

 

“Yeri really likes pranking people! I remember receiving a call from an unregistered number and asking me if my fridge was running and when I answered yes, she told me ‘What are you waiting for? Go and catch it!’ before laughing out loud and I swear if I didn’t recognized her stupid cackle, I would’ve blocked her new number!” Yeri roared in laughter as Joy finished her story, slapping the latter's shoulders repeatedly.

 

“There was one time Taeyeon unnie called me in the middle of the night and I honestly thought it was an emergency in the office or something but then she began saying ‘Listen here you tall dark beautiful punk! If I ever see my precious lawyer cry because of youuuu, I will not hesistate to shave all your haaaaairr off while you’re sleeping!!!!’ and I got so confused, turns out, unnie was drunk and was threatening Yuri unnie but instead called me!” Wendy giggled and Seulgi’s eyes lit up, remembering step number 6.

 

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA FUNNY! HAHAHAHAHAHA” she laughed out loud and their table became quiet as the other four looked at her with awkward smiles and she quickly closed .

 

“Anyyyywayyyyyy….” Joy continued, taking the attention away from Seulgi, “Wendy unnie! Did you know someone has a crush on youuuuu~~~” and the bear almost choked on her coffee, “And she’s sitting right here!” the tallest unabashedly pointed a finger towards a flustered and glaring Irene.

 

“SHUT UP SOOYOUNG IT’S NOT TRUE!” and then the two bickered like an old married couple while Seulgi looked down on her cup of coffee, thinking how it’s so black like the way her heart feels.

 



 

7. Surprise them with an Act of Kindness - This is self-explanatory, right? Unless your kindness is equal to placing a chocolate filled cupcake on top of their stack of folders and said cupcake get squashed by another huge stack of folders and papers placed above it, creating a chocolatey mess and making your crush reprint some of the important papers and giving them a few more hours of work because of that, then DON’T, I repeat, DO NOT DO THAT KIND OF KINDNESS.

 

8. Will them to Notice You - if you do the step above then you will most likely succeed on this step. Again, NO CHOCOLATE FILLED CUPCAKES!


 

“This is getting weirder and weirder but I guess this is based on Seohyun unnie’s experience…..” Seulgi mumbled, closing the folder and going to work a little early that morning. She still has some designs to finish and she wants to have some lax time since it’s friday already.

 

She went to her table and noticed that her crush was still not there, she shrugged and decided to start working. About five minutes into her designs, she heard the chair in front of her scrape the floor. She looked up and saw Wendy with an annoyed expression on her face before typing angrily on her phone and standing up with an irritated huff and walking towards the elevator. Seulgi frowned, she has never seen her crush this worked up before. Wendy usually just radiates happiness and fluff and smiles all the time and that’s one of the reason why the bear had gravitated towards her crush.

 

Seulgi paused whatever she was doing and grabbed the orange post-it notes on her table, quickly grabbing a pen and writing on it. Immediately standing up afterwards and going around their shared table, stopping in front of Wendy’s computer and posting the note on the screen.

 

‘You look more beautiful when you smile~

So turn that :(  upside down :)

-S. (๑ó㉨ò๑)ノ♡’

 

She smiled proudly before going back to her work, plugging her earphones and starting to listen to some relaxing music to help her work better, hardly noticing Wendy going back to her chair and the shocked and happy face of the latter.


 


 

9. Ask them Out - Here it is. You completed every steps already. You can do it! You can finally ask them out! Go do that~~~ It doesn’t have to be fabulous or grand, just be you, doesn’t even need to be the cool version of you! Just ask them! Good luck!!


 

Seulgi breathed in. She had just finished the last few designs for the day, so now, she’s ready! She will do it! She will ask Wendy out! She stood up and saw that the latter wasn’t on their table. She looked around and saw Seohyun getting some coffee.

 

“Unnie~~ Have you seen Wendy?”

 

“Hey, Seul~ I think she went up the rooftop for some fresh air.” Seulgi smiled.

 

“Thanks, unnie! And thank you for the research!” Seohyun smiled at her curiously but before the older one could ask anything, Seulgi was already skipping towards the elevator.


 

She exited the elevator, all smiles like a bear, and immediately noticing Wendy sitting at one of the tables there, coffee in hand and a music sheet on the table. She walked towards her, confidence rising before falling when she saw Irene sitting down beside Wendy and the latter smiling at her. Her smile faded and she turned around, dejected and shoulders slumped. She went back to her table and opened the folder containing the research, re-reading everything and thinking about what she missed or what she did wrong. Maybe she failed some steps but she doesn’t think that being unsuccessful there is a crucial part on why she failed. She got to the end and saw a small print--small enough for her short sightedness to not see it before.

 

*research by Kwon Yuri.

 

“What? Y-yuri unnie?? But Taeyeon unnie said this was made by Seohyun unnie!” Seulgi couldn’t believe it. No wonder this whole research seemed uncharacteristic of their office lawyer. She sighed, head bumping on her table as she just want to crawl under a rock or just dig a hole and bury herself in it.


 

Something cold touches her ears and she squealed in shock, looking up to see the object of her affection grinning widely at her, carrying two iced coffees and handing her one.

 

“Here.”

 

“...uhm.. Thanks?”

 

“You still haven’t bought me coffee as payment for the other one and now here I am giving you another one.” Wendy pouted and the bear’s eyes widened in panic.

 

“Ah! I’m sorry about that! I promise to treat you to three coffees!” Wendy looked like she’s contemplating.

 

“Hmm, How about you go watch a movie and grab dinner with me tomorrow and I’ll say we’re even.”

 

“What?”

 

“Though, I would still buy you more coffee so that we can have more dates together~”

 

“D-DATE?” Wendy giggled.

 

“Why do you sound so shocked, Seul?”

 

“B-but?”

 

“But?”

 

“Date? Me? Date?” she stuttered and Wendy only grinned, eyes closing in happiness.

 

“Yeap! We can talk about the movie while eating dinner, or we can talk about the universe and the stars, or we can talk about more coffee dates~ Your choice~” Seulgi’s eyes widened in awe as she nodded her head, dumbly/cutely.

 

Maybe the steps do work.

 



A/N: This is based on this Buzzfeed Video (It's so cute and fluffy and cutttteeeee)
This is for my crush hihihihijkbye