VIII: JIN

Why Can't We Be [UNDER EDITING BUT CAN STILL READ]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

♦ JIN ♦

 

We kept arguing until when we got on the plane. She never stopped talking and asking me why we are flying to Hong Kong. I kept on saying that she should wait and see but I can’t control also my hot-tempered attitude that’s why I’m fighting back.

“You’re messing my life, Jin. If I lose my job, I will never forgive you. Mark my words.” Then she coughed. I know she was sick. I gave her meds but she got angrier. Argh! What am I going to do to this girl? She even rolled her eyes to the nice flight attendants who were concern to her well-being.

After 3 hours and 30 minutes, our plane landed at Hong Kong International Airport.  I immediately dragged her to check out and to get a cab. She doesn’t know how important this day because of her pride. If only I did not make a promise, I will never talk to Haniel ever like what she wished.

“If this trip is not worth of my time, I’m going to fly back without you.”

“Our friendship already ended, why are you trying to reconcile with me?”

“Look, I got an e-mail from my boss that I should prepare for the upcoming drama that I am going to write.”

“After this week, I am going to meet the director! And here I am, having a trip to Hong Kong out of my willingness!”

“How many time that I have to say that I HATE YOU!”

“DAMN HANIEL, WILL YOU STOP TALKING? EVEN THE CAB DRIVER IS ALREADY ANNOYED TO YOUR RANTS! WILL YOU PLEASE WAIT ‘TIL WE GOT TO OUR DESTINATION? ONCE WE GOT THERE I’M GONNA MAKE YOU SWALLOW THE RED LETTER THAT YOU DOODLED!”

“RED LETTER MY !” And the cab stopped carelessly. We almost threw in front of the car window.

“FINALLY! We’re here! That’s the gallery that you’re looking for. Now, pay and get out immediately!” The angry cab driver said. I paid him and pulled out Haniel immediately before he drove the cab as fast as he can.

“What are we going to do here?” Wow, for the first time, she talked calmly. Well, I think when she heard ‘gallery’ she felt somewhat excited. An artist like Haniel loves everything about art.

“Here.” I gave her the red letter with her rude message for me. “Give that to the usher once we entered the gallery.”

“Why should I? It’s yours not mine.”

“IT’S YOURS! Because here’s mine.” I proved her my own red letter and her eyes widened.

“What is this Jin Kwon?”

“Aish, we need to get inside now.” I pushed her inside the gallery and the usher welcomed us. I showed first mine, before Haniel’s. She was looking at her feet because of embarrassment.

The usher was surprised to read what Haniel written on the letter before she greeted us with a smile.

The red letter was actually an invitation. Actually, this red-colored invitation was exclusive only for us. We are two of the VIPs on this event, which included real letters where we can use as an access for our accommodation and a mini trip in Hong Kong.

Haniel finally shut while her eyes cannot gawk in one art because of amusement. All the modern art hung on the walls were really impressive. I hope Haniel already knew our purpose here.

She loves to talk like a tour guide while explaining to me everything that we saw inside the gallery. She was talking to me as if we were not fighting a while ago. That’s her. The very artsy girl, Haniel.

“Oh my God, why did she- aish.” Haniel grunted while we were looking at the huge artwork hanging on the last room of the gallery. It was a painting of a woman but her body was covered by  words written in a black a paint and her face….her face…is like…

“Hey, have you become her model?”

“Just shut up, Jin!” Haniel blushed while looking at the artwork.

“You made everyone see your body .”

“It’s art not , Jin.” I looked at Haniel and she was reading the words. “That’s my last letter to her before they flew to overseas.”

 

I am glad that you’re starting to live a life without me.

You can fly with your own wings and you will see the world beyond here.

I love to see you with a genuine smile

You are kind-hearted even if people say you are heartless.

You know what’s happening around you and you simply show care when everyone is not around.

I’m going to miss you because being away from you is like losing my other half.

But I want to be selfless so that you’ll be stronger when the time comes we need to part ways.

I need to let you go.

Even if you’re the only one who can me feel alive again after all my problems.

I’m going to miss all the crazy little things about you and me.

I’m going to miss our arguments and prideful decisions.

I’m going to miss you so much.

Always remember that even it hurts me a lot for being alone,

I am going to stay strong and I want you to be that like too.

I love you.

I love you.

I love you.

See you soon.

When we already found what makes us happy.

Again, I love you.

 

The letter. If you don’t know Haniel, you will think as if she wrote it for a guy that she loved. But you were wrong. She will never do that. She’s a writer but I don’t know she was that affectionate to a man.  “Well, I think I already saw all her masterpiece. Where’s my sister?”

“You almost became a tour guide a while ago, sissy? Do I have to pay you even if you’re just explaining everything to Jin? Oh, Nice meeting you in person too Jin.” We both looked at our back and we saw Haniel’s sister leaning at the side of the door with crossed arms.

I waved at Haniel’s sister and she smiled at me.

“You just made my body seen by everyone, Heaven. I am worthy to be paid.”

Heaven Park is Haniel’s adopted younger sister and she’s a painter. She was the daughter of Haniel’s uncle. However, because Heaven came from a broken family and her father died because of illness, Heaven was taken care of Haniel’s family since she was a baby.

“I’m glad that you came even if you wrote awful things on my letter. Have you tried reading it?” Heaven asked after she hugged Haniel.

Heaven’s face was different with Haniel’s. They both have youthful looks but you will feel intimidated with Heaven. Because she usually has a ‘resting face’ that you may judge if you don’t know her. Haniel told me that even if she was a baby, she was the quite one. Everyone was trying to make her laugh and she was just staring at them. However, when Haniel tried to lift Heaven for the first time, she smiled. Haniel was the one who gave her the bi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter