Eighteen – Love is a Game

A 9PM Love Story

Nichkhun paced in his room, back and forth, his forehead creased and his palms were sweaty. It had been a week and he couldn’t think of anything to try win Yuri’s heart back. His mind went empty every time he was planning and that scared him. He wanted to be with her again, he wanted to feel her presence next to him, to see her sweet smile and to hear her beautiful laughter.

But it was hard. He knew he was at fault for what happened but Yuri had her fair share of bad decision making events. He also knew the last time they saw each other, Yuri was beyond furious for what he had said to her. They were true, he thought. But they weren’t necessary. He only said the words out loud because he was upset that Yuri blamed him entirely.

There was a knock at the door and Taecyeon popped at the gap, giving him a small smile, “Khun?”

He stopped his track and gaped at his friend, “Hey.”

“Are you training for a sports or?” Taecyeon asked in a teasing tone.

Nichkhun narrowed his eyes and replied, “Very funny. I’m at dead end, Taec. Help me.”

Slowly, Taecyeon stepped inside and took a seat on Nichkhun’s comfortable bed before sighing, “Okay, tell me how I can help you?”

“Well, that’s the thing!” Nichkhun exclaimed, throwing his arms in exasperation, “I don’t know exactly how but I’m in desperate need of some help.”

“Wow! And people claimed you’re the most romantic member of 2PM.”

The frustrated guy ran a hand through his light brown hair, his forehead forming lines. Taecyeon chuckled for he hadn’t seen Nichkhun being this nervous for so long. He said, “I’m willing to help you but there’s nothing much I could do, really. Remember what happened the last time I offer you my help?”

“Yeah.” Nichkhun nodded, his face darkened, “But it didn’t work out because of me. Not because of your brilliant idea.”

Taecyeon raised both his arms, “Hey, it wasn’t my idea. It was the girls’.”

His head snapped to the left, “Do you think I should ask their help?”

“I don’t know.” Taecyeon shrugged, “They kind of hate you right now but I will say give it a try.”

A few thoughts came running in Nichkhun’s mind as he pondered on the words. Grinding his teeth, Nichkhun finally formed a small smile, “You know what? I think I will.”

---

“No.”

“What? But why?”

“Because I said so.”

“Oh, come on Fany!”

Wooyoung stomped his foot, his scowl showed his frustration at his former best friend as she nonchalantly stirred her sugar brown macchiato, ignoring the guy’s angry rant.

The rain were pouring when they first arrived (at different times) at the café with the people of Seoul city running around in their raincoats or under the yellow umbrellas, looking for a shelter. Dark clouds was everywhere as lighting strike and Tiffany jumped out of her seat, almost.

“Still scared of the rain?” Wooyoung asked, his childish demeanor replaced with a teasing grin.

Narrowing her eyes, Tiffany bit inside of her cheeks, “No.”

“Can’t believe you’re still a big baby, Fany.” Wooyoung leaned in, his elbows propped on the table.

“Don’t make me start on who is the big baby here, Woo.”

“Why? Because you’ll set the world record?”

Tiffany grinded her teeth and rolled her eyes, too tired to even argue with him. Wooyoung noticed her weary look and heaved a sigh, “Look, I didn’t ask to meet you to have this fight.”

“No kidding.” Tiffany muttered under her breath.

Wooyoung grunted before continuing, “I know you’re mad at Khun hyung but he’s trying his best here. The least you could do is help him.”

Ignoring his words, Tiffany inspected her perfectly manicured nails as Wooyoung threw his arms in frustration, “Fany, please. Do it for Yuri.”

Sighing, she agreed, “Fine. But I’m only doing this for Yuri. Also, it was worth seeing the mighty Wooyoung begging for my help.”

“Glad I could be the source of your entertainment.” Wooyoung replied with a hint of sarcasm as Tiffany showed her pearly whites.

“So now, what’s the plan?”

Shrugging, Wooyoung threw his head backward, “Well, that’s your job.”

“I thought it was your idea, Woo!” Tiffany exclaimed, her forehead forming thin lines.

“What? No! I’m just the messenger boy.”

Shaking her head, Tiffany propped her elbows on the table, staring into space as Wooyoung hummed to the Humpty Dumpty song, his head bobbed sideways. Suddenly, Tiffany smacked the table, startling the young man in front of her.

She flashed her eyesmile, one Wooyoung had always adorn, “I have the perfect plan.”

Wooyoung couldn’t help but to notice the glint of excitement in her beautiful pair of eyes and his lips stretched into a smile as she ranted on her idea.

---

“FANY ARE YOU INSANE?!” Sooyoung’s shriek echoed in the living room as the other girls huddled around Tiffany with questioning looks on their faces. Tiffany smiled sheepishly, scratching her neck before swinging her hand on Sooyoung’s mouth to keep her from shouting.

“Shut it, Sooyoung!” She hissed, her eyes wandered on their faces. “You are all in this, whether you like it or not. I’m angry at that guy too but he deserves to prove himself one last time.”

“But, Fany-” Taeyeon opened to protest but Tiffany cut her off quickly, “Taengo, this is happening. There’s no turning back now. Just quit it because the boys are on their way.”

“What? You invited them?!” Sooyoung yelled, flailing her arms as Seohyun and Yoona tried to calm her down. Tiffany rolled her eyes at the tall girl’s dramatic reaction, saying, “It won’t happen without them, okay? I have no other choice.”

There was a ring and all eight heads whipped towards the front door. Tiffany turned the door knob and the handsome face of Taecyeon came in view, outstretching his hand, “We brought all the things you wanted.”

Tiffany nodded approvingly, “Good. Now, lets go to the roof.”

They greeted each other, Taecyeon gave Yoona a friendly hug and Jaebom pulled Jessica for a brief kiss on her cheek which made her blush furiously. The other girls gave her teasing smiles and she shushed them quickly. They scrambled to the rooftop, chatting quite excitedly.

As they reached the place, Tiffany took charge and began instructing them on their jobs. Nichkhun stayed glued in his place as he watched his friends and enemies (kind of) jostled around on the rooftop, a place he knew was special to the both of them, Yuri and him. Tiffany wouldn’t let him do anything because ‘you’re the main lead today, oppa.’

Which did nothing to calm him down as the nerve-wrecking feelings hit him and he felt like throwing up. Truthfully, he wasn’t sure whether Yuri would forgive him or not but he had to do it. He wouldn’t know unless he tried. Nichkhun heard a shriek coming from the other side and he saw Taecyeon with a large balloon in his hand, looking like it was ready to pop. He was threatening to stick a needle on the red balloon in front of Yoona’s face as she scurried away in fear.

Next to them, Jessica and Jaebum was setting a long wired lights on the ground; a sweet smile on the girl’s face and a loving gaze from the guy. A few feets from them, Junho and Hyoyeon were messing around with the confetti and their laughter boomed in air.

Sooyoung and Chansung were arguing like they always did about another petty thing while Sunny watched in amusement. In a corner, poor Wooyoung was bullied into slavery by Tiffany and Taeyeon. The oldest and the youngest of them sat on the ground, their hands busy doing work and their mouths chatted happily.

To think that in the very beginning, these groups of women and men couldn’t even get in a room without clawing each other’s face, a smile formed on Nichkhun’s face. It started out as a game for them but it became something much more. This very game they’d been playing, made him realized his true feelings.

Nichkhun snapped out of his reverie when Tiffany shouted, “Everyone!”

All heads turned to her and she took a deep breath before announcing, “Yuri’s coming.”

Eyes widened and gasps coming out from their mouths, they started scurried around, adding final touches here and there before each of them said their good lucks to the main character for that day.

“You can do this, Khunnie!”

“Win her heart back, oppa.”

“Break her again and I’ll cut you, pretty boy.”

As the last threatening words from Sooyoung dissipated in air, she sent an encouraging smile before walking towards the others. They were standing behind him (Sunny and Yoona had cameras in their hands) as Nichkhun faced the door, his heart was beating so fast he could practically hear it.

It seemed like a thousand years when the door finally opened, revealing the beautiful face of Kwon Yuri, cladded in a simple jeans and white tank top, her hair cascaded down on her back, her face was make-up free. The first thing she saw was her ex-boyfriend dressed in a fancy suit, a shy smile on his face.

But as she looked around, she saw the colourful neon lights hanging above her, the rose petals scattered on the ground and the decorated patio they used to hang around in. She then noticed her members and the boys, all giving her toothy grins and pump fists.

She fixed her gaze on Nichkhun, a confused look on her face, “Oppa?”

 

---
A/N: One more chapter left yay! :)