Chapter 9

Prime Suspect

When a drug leaves your system it feels like a truck hit you in the face. It was like your body was being drained of everything of importance. Vernon knew this all too well. However this new one was different. It faded slowly. Nothing hurt, he didn't feel sick nor did he feel like he was dying. The only bad thing was that he was remembering. 

Vernon had been bingeing on the drug. Getting a dose whenever possible. Finally TOP had cut him off. At least for the time being. 

TOP's doctors gave him tests. Physical exams, blood analysis, sleeping test. He was their little rat they could probe and he didn't so much mind because a needle and a white room were the least of his problems. It was a good distraction until he had to leave. 

He didn't want to go home and he didn't want to wander around hopelessly. He did what he thought a good son should do. He went on to attend what his drugged out mind was attempting to avoid. 

His steps were slow but they had purpose. Along his journey he bought a bouquet. He was careful to hold it lightly as to not damage the stems. He looked down at his hands and clothes takin a few glances upwards as to not run into anybody. It seems he'd dressed for the occasion by accident. 

Black jeans, black short sleeve button up and shoes. He was glad he didn't look like a wreck. He was glad he wouldn't tarnish his mother's memory on such a day as this. 

When his mother was much younger and madly in love with a man who would inevitably leave her she found a small church. One where English services weren't uncommon and where the people comforted and supported her and her only child the day his father seemingly vanished. They like his mother had always been so caring but Vernon had somehow become the bad apple. Those days were a blur and under severe influence. It was so bad he couldn't quite remember the first year of his devastating addiction. 

When Vernon arrived the pastor stood at the doorway greeting mourners with a sad handshake. Of course Vernon was quickly recognized. He received a tight hug that he couldn't quite feel. The pastor took a good look at the young boy's face before resting his hands on his shoulders.

"You're looking as well as you could be. Be strong son. Your mother is surely smiling down on us today."

On everyone maybe, but I, her biggest mistake, I'm sure she's damning me to hell for causing this. For doing what I'd done before I arrived. 

The place was packed with regular church goers, most Vernon hadn't seen since his younger years. He doubted many knew her personally but he could be wrong. After all what did he really know about his mother? 

The service was much like he'd expected. Verses from the bible, reassurances, shared memories. Eventually he was beckoned to the podium. What could he say? He wasn't all too sure. He left his flowers at his seat and walked up before the mass. 

Vernon stood looking down and the wooden podium and over to the small shrine with his mother's picture displayed in a silver frame. The police couldn't release the body for burial just in case there was anything they missed. 

The picture was a very flattering one of her. By far her favorite one. Her hair was tamed and straightened. Her skin was so smooth it looked photoshopped. Her smile was delicate and there was a glimmer in her eye Vernon hadn't seen in a long time, if at all. 

Vernon kept his eyes on his destroyed nail beds as he prepared to speak. He didn't want accusing or pitying faces.

"Most of my life was just my mother and I. She taught me her values and everything I needed to know. She raised me as my mother and as my father. She taught me to be polite and put a lady first but she also taught me to shave my face and be a man.... I could lie and say that we were perfectly okay or that we'd been incredibly close these last few years. I've made enough mistakes that I'm surprised she ever talked to me again but she let me back in months ago. And now I can't make things right.... And I feel like it's all my fault.

He wanted to say it all. He wanted to vent he wanted to tell how bad he screwed up and that his mother deserved none of this. She didn't deserve a rotten son and she didn't deserve to die because of him but truthfully he couldn't make it past the word mother.

He didn't cry nor did he fall into the podium. He just couldn't speak. The words choked in his throat and all he could think was that he was at fault. In some way it was because of him. 

The service ended with heaps of flowers rested at her shrine and he was one of the last to lay his down. He sat in the pews hardly acknowledging insincere condolences. People were quickly disappearing and even the pastor was gone bidding people fare well. A hand rested on Vernon's shoulder and he barely looked up to its owner. 

It was that officer Jungkook. The one who had confirmed the news to him. 

"Terrible timing I know, but I'd like to introduce you to my family," Jungkook said softly. 

"Mr. Vernon!" Mina wrapped her arms around his torso and he could feel the tears on his shirt. "I'm sorry your mommy had to go away," Mina knew what had happened she just didn't want to say anything that would make her friend cry. 

"Mina? What?"

"You know my daughter?" Jungkook asked.

"I work at the school," Vernon said distractedly. He rested his hand on the top of Mina's head. "Thank you Mina, no need to say sorry, it's not your fault." It's mine. 

Jungkook had a feeling of what Vernon might be thinking and spoke in an attempt to distract the boy's saddened mind, "You know my daughter and myself, this is my wife Yesenia." He introduced.

Vernon stood and Yesenia gave him a tight hug and a sympathetic smile.

"If you don't mind I'd like to take you out to lunch, but if you'd rather be alone I understand completely."

"Please Mr. Vernon?" None of them had noticed Mina was still attached to his hip.

He didn't know why but he felt like he couldn't refuse the little girl. Her smile made things seem brighter when he had plenty of reasons to hide in the dark. He looked down at the small head of black wavy hair then up to her parents. With some hidden strength he managed a small smile and agreed to their invitation. 

They decided on a traditional Korean barbeque and quickly Jungkook got started on heating the various meats. As requested they avoided the subject of the day and talked about things new friends would. 

"I'm a mechanic, part time grounds keeper, and I monitor the playground sometimes. Make sure those kids don't cause trouble." He sent a sly wink over to Mina who smiled remembering all the times her Mr. Vernon saved her from the little tyrants. "What do you do Yesenia?" 

"I'm a nurse at Cheil General Hospital. I work the night shift. It can get surprisingly exiting."

"If I'm correct you aren't Korean and nursing isn't transferable between countries so how did you manage to become one here?" 

"I transferred in high school and stayed when I met that dork." She jabbed her thumb at her husband who was inspecting the meat. 

"What does dork mean?" They were freely using English and that was the reason Jungkook had tuned out but easily caught on to the word that merely sounded insulting. "You better not be cursing in front of the kids." He joked referring to both Vernon and Mina.

It gave Vernon an odd feeling he couldn't quite describe. Something just felt strange to him. In a good way or a bad way he was still a little too numb to differentiate. He ignored it and started trying to find the right word only to come up with Pabo to which sent Jungkook into a playful rant that the two girls just rolled their eyes at.

This family was something he always wished for and he was glad that his young friend was growing up with this. 

Eventually they ate then argued about payment to which Vernon miserably lost. He received hugs and the last coming from the detective. The hug was firm and surprising. "If you need me for anything, call. Even if it's to see my little sunshine Mina." 

When they receded into the darkening city that final happy buzz fizzled out. He was alone again. No amount of distraction could take that away. The Jeon's were a kind family but they felt bad. That was all. And Mina was just a kid that trusted too much for her own good. He had to remind himself of that. 

The Jeon family spent their night shopping. No one had to work though Jungkook was always working weather he knew it or not. Even though he was having a nice time and just out on the town his mind was running through the profile of the unsub. Recalling all the notes and all the possibilities. At the moment it felt like the only way to find the killer was to put police on every mixed person and relationship but that was impossible but spending time with such a nice kid. A victim to this horrendous crime he felt a surge to work harder as if he didn't already have his own reasons.   

__________________________
I am setting up bad bad things. I am such an awful authornim!!! Save me from the darkness!! 
So dudes Cheil General Hospital is a real women's hospital in Korea. I did a search and Korea's got a ton of hospitals specializing in eye care and feet. Like why Korea??!!

Sorry if I've made anyone cry (I know I cried) with these last two updates. The story writes itself I swear!  

Rina💜